Jets' Mark Sanchez learns new system with Chad Pennington

F.Chowds

Jets' Mark Sanchez learns new system with Chad Pennington in South Florida

Chad Pennington isn’t positive how Mark Sanchez got his number.

But one day in the weeks following the

Jets’ tumultuous 8-8 season, he got a phone call. The current Jets quarterback asked the former Jets quarterback if he could help him, specifically with picking up new offensive coordinator Tony Sparano’s system.

“He is extremely motivated and very hungry,” Pennington said by phone Friday. “He has a desire to right the ship and take advantage of what’s in front of him.”

Pennington agreed to meet, but not simply because of their Jets connection. He said it was “an honor” to share the experiences of his 11-year pro career with a young quarterback.

That young quarterback got a vote of confidence from the Jets organization Friday evening, in the form of

a three-year contract extension worth $40.5 million, giving Sanchez a total of $58.25 million over the next five years, per a person with knowledge of the terms of the deal.

That person requested anonymity because the team has not announced the terms of the deal.

But during the weeks of negotiations, and the speculation about the Jets’ interest in former Indianapolis Colts MVP Peyton Manning, Sanchez’s sole focus was becoming a better quarterback in 2012. He cleared his head. He emptied his brain and his heart on a yellow pad of paper. And he called Pennington, to whom Sanchez says he owes “a lot of gratitude.”

The rules of the collective bargaining agreement do not permit players to discuss football with coaches until the start of the offseason program in April. So Sanchez sought out Pennington, who uniquely played for Sparano in Miami and former Jets offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer, and could be a translator of sorts.

Sanchez flew to Ft. Lauderdale twice in February for a series of four or five classroom sessions with Pennington. They met in a hotel conference room for a few hours at a time, discussing Sparano’s philosophy and terminology, and “how Tony thinks.”

Sparano was the head coach during Pennington’s three seasons in Miami, one as the Comeback Player of the Year and two cut short by injury. Pennington brought his old notes and left them with Sanchez between sessions, finding the next day that Sanchez had spent hours studying them.

jets_logo.jpg

“Sparano is a perfect fit, not only for Mark but for the Jets,” said Pennington, who has worked with combine-bound quarterbacks at the South Florida facility of New Jersey-based TEST Football Academy the past two springs. “Tony will understand how to complement Rex’s defense and how to teach Mark the difference between losing games and winning games.”

Pennington identified Sparano’s emphasis on the run game and not turning the ball over, scoring when the offense has the chance to score and not paying too much attention to offensive statistics as good fits for Ryan’s attacking-style defense. He and Sanchez covered topics like how Sparano likes to protect the quarterback, how plays might be called and how the coach would approach situations such as the two-minute drill.

The two quarterbacks found they had a lot more to talk about than simply X’s and O’s — “everything included” with being a quarterback in the NFL, and the New York market.

“I don’t know if there’s anybody (better),” Sanchez said of Pennington. “He knew everything, and understood when we talked about the difficulties of the season and really underachieving last year. He knew every situation I was in, and more. It was great perspective to hear.”

Playing quarterback in New York, which Pennington did for eight seasons, is a unique occupation. He shared with Sanchez a method that helped him keep his bearings: He made a list of what defined him as a quarterback, and the characteristics he wanted to add. When Pennington faced criticism, he consulted the list. If the criticism did not relate to an area he wanted to improve, he paid it no mind.

“It became a useful tool, because in New York you can get out of whack as far as the criticism you are facing,” Pennington said. “You can easily forget about positives and focus only on the negatives. We talked about understanding that some criticisms you pay attention to, and some you don’t.”

It was a useful lesson for Sanchez, who helped the team to two AFC title games in his first two years but was inconsistent in his third pro season, low-lighted by a career-high 26 turnovers. He is now locked in as the Jets’ starter essentially through 2013 because of $20.5 million in guaranteed money in his extension — but questions about his future hung as recently as Thursday, when the Jets did their due diligence with Manning.

But Sanchez’s focus was never there. He mentioned Manning just once in his meetings with Pennington, whose Jets tenure ended with the Brett Favre trade in 2008. In late February, during one surge of media reports about Manning and the Colts’ impending split, Sanchez made a passing reference to the frenzy around the story line. And then they got right back to work.

“He is excited about working with his teammates, and having the locker room they know they need to have to be successful,” Pennington said. “He is excited about working with Tony. I think he sees they have a great opportunity to be successful, and he doesn’t want the opportunity to slip by

Thats not a bad thing. Less turnovers will give this defense a chance to shine.

MORE 6-yard passes on 3rd and 7. And MORE handing off. Not gonna work. Defenses will know what the Jets ar doing and creep up. Major difference-Pennington was at least accurate. So we get all the dumbed down attempting to have 18-play 6/7 first down scoring drives(VERY diffiicult to do) with less ball protection. The NFL is now designed to let the ball do the work in the air; them's the rules. The more plays you have to run to sniff the goal line, the more chance something will go wrong, double that error rate if your QB is not accurate.

Playing quarterback in New York, which Pennington did for eight seasons, is a unique occupation. He shared with Sanchez a method that helped him keep his bearings: He made a list of what defined him as a quarterback, and the characteristics he wanted to add. When Pennington faced criticism, he consulted the list. If the criticism did not relate to an area he wanted to improve, he paid it no mind.

You know who I bet has never, ever kept a hurt-feelings diary? Eli Manning.

Sound like Mark is indeed the lazy QB with no work ethic as the haters have been saying.

If last season is the result of hard work and a great work ethic that does not bode well for the future.

Besides, this whole meeting thing smelled of a PR move. Players talk to other players all the time. Yet this one meeting one afternoon is somehow national news with Pennington giving an interview about this private meeting with Sanchez.

Sound like Mark is indeed the lazy QB with no work ethic as the haters have been saying.

Most of the people who post here tend to think that Sanchez actually does work pretty hard in order to skyrocket himself out of the bottom 5 QB's in the league.

Great read. Glad to hear Sanchez is working hard to improve. Very smart of him to seek out a savvy veteran like Pennington who played in the system that Sanchez is leaving and played in the system that Sanchez is entering.

Its meetings like this that will make him great.

Great read. Glad to hear Sanchez is working hard to improve. Very smart of him to seek out a savvy veteran like Pennington who played in the system the Sanchez is leaving and played in the system that Sanchez is entering.

Its meetings like this that will make him great.

Who are you and what have you done with JiF?

If last season is the result of hard work and a great work ethic that does not bode well for the future.

Besides, this whole meeting thing smelled of a PR move. Players talk to other players all the time. Yet this one meeting one afternoon is somehow national news with Pennington giving an interview about this private meeting with Sanchez.

Well with every negative getting just as much national news, as well as you reminding us, I find it funny that when its about Sanchez making the effort to become a better QB all of a sudden its a PR move and that it doesnt bode well based on a comparison of what he did prior to him getting to work with Penny.

I see a guy who was part of a nasty offensive meltdown and is getting the majority of the heat for it because he's the QB. Cool. last season was a perfect example of why Schotty should have been cut years ago as well as what happens when your HC knows nothing about offense and how to take over when it needs to be done. I hear about his work ethic yet every offseason he's had Jets West, this year after the horrible season he stayed away from the media, got with a QB that knew the new offensive system and went to work. he wasnt making 30 comments a week to the press about Peyton Manning or the possibility of him being replaced etc. All of a sudden thats a PR stunt. So are you telling me given that its probably a PR stunt that Sanchez is with Penny yet not trying to learn this offense? Sounds like hateful allegations to me.

Well with every negative getting just as much national news, as well as you making it clearly known here on Jetnation in case someone missed the negative news on TV, I find it funny that when its about Sanchez making the effort to become a better QB all of a sudden its a PR move and that it doesnt bode well based on a comparison of what he did prior to him getting to work with Penny.

I see a guy who was part of a nasty offensive meltdown and is getting the majority of the heat for it because he's the QB. Cool. last season was a perfect example of why Schotty should have been cut years ago as well as what happens when your HC knows nothing about offense and how to take over when it needs to be done. I hear about his work ethic yet every offseason he's had Jets West, this year after the horrible season he stayed away from the media, got with a QB that knew the new offensive system and went to work. he wasnt making 30 comments a week to the press about Peyton Manning or the possibility of him being replaced etc. All of a sudden thats a PR stunt. So are you telling me given that its probably a PR stunt that Sanchez is with Penny yet not trying to learn this offense? Sounds like hateful allegation to me.

So why is Chad Pennington giving interviews about a private meeting with Sanchez? Why would anyone know about it?

Again, if he's such a hard worker and deserving to get benched 3 years out of 3 is the result, that speaks less to his potential ceiling than someone who just needed to put more time in.

So why is Chad Pennington giving interviews about a private meeting with Sanchez? Why would anyone know about it?

Again, if he's such a hard worker and deserving to get benched 3 years out of 3 is the result, that speaks less to his potential ceiling than someone who just needed to put more time in.

I dont know, but it really doesnt change the fact that you provided allegations that was no more than hate. I didnt know that such a offseason learning session was of utmost importance to be considered private. Yeah, 3 out of 3 years I could see where Sanchez could have got benched. What I also saw is that 2 out of those 3 years I seen Sanchez pull it together and then produced in the playoffs. As usual the positives are always forgotten/dismissed. I guess its not as fun as throwing allegations such as the one's I've been reading. Anyway, last year he didnt do it, however, this past year there was a lack of talent and I see that the talent that we've been losing due to retirement or just not resigning the Jets havent replaced. Faneca, Richardson, Woody, Cotch etc. That also happens to be on the offensive side of the ball as well.

That's the fun part with the Sanchez crew they talk up his work ethic like it's helpful to their argument. Lets say he's the hardest working guy in the building what does that that tell you about his brains/ability to long term?

It's like my friend a Sanchez apologist coming up with the stupid argument that he's not bad he's just short, Let's pretend Drew Brees doesn't exist for a second. What's the solution, we let him play in high heels?(Not that I want to give Mark any ideas for this years GQ spread)

He just sucks

I dont know, but it really doesnt change the fact that you provided allegations that was no more than hate. I didnt know that such a offseason learning session was of utmost importance to be considered private. Yeah, 3 out of 3 years I could see where Sanchez could have got benched. What I also saw is that 2 out of those 3 years I seen Sanchez pull it together and then produced in the playoffs. As usual the positives are always forgotten/dismissed. I guess its not as fun as throwing allegations such as the one's I've been reading. Anyway, last year he didnt do it, however, this past year there was a lack of talent and I see that the talent that we've been losing due to retirement or just not resigning the Jets havent replaced. Faneca, Richardson, Woody, Cotch etc. That also happens to be on the offensive side of the ball as well.

So your assertion is that the secret sauce for a QB's success is a grossly overpaid has-been LG who barely made it through the next season for Arizona, a 40 year-old blocking FB who hasn't played a down of football for anyone since the Jets decided not to re-sign him, an aging RT who hasn't played a down of football for anyone since the Jets released him, and an injured WR who dropped 20% of the passes thrown his way (and did a bunch of nothing all year for Pittsburgh who made him their 4th or 5th string WR).

The allegations you bestow upon me aren't anywhere near the level of your hundreds of conspiracy theory posts. Again, since when is meeting with Chad Pennington one day worthy of national news, and how on earth would anyone find out about it in the first place while the whole country is obsessively focused on Peyton Manning, the scouting combine results, and the upcoming free agency period? No reporter gives a crap what a retired Chad Pennington does or who he talks to unless they were fed the story.

Like many others here, I've been a fan of this team for a sh*tload more years than Tannenbaum and Sanchez and Rex Ryan combined so don't presume to tell me what people I hate. What I hate is the Jets not winning a superbowl. In my opinion this is another freshly-paved road to not getting there. I think they (and the owner) are all well-intentioned in wanting to achieve that goal, but the same could be said for the OC they just fired as well as all of their fired coaches and GMs of years past.

So your assertion is that the secret sauce for a QB's success is a grossly overpaid has-been LG who barely made it through the next season for Arizona, a 40 year-old blocking FB who hasn't played a down of football for anyone since the Jets decided not to re-sign him, an aging RT who hasn't played a down of football for anyone since the Jets released him, and an injured WR who dropped 20% of the passes thrown his way (and did a bunch of nothing all year for Pittsburgh who made him their 4th or 5th string WR).

The allegations you bestow upon me aren't anywhere near the level of your hundreds of conspiracy theory posts. Again, since when is meeting with Chad Pennington one day worthy of national news, and how on earth would anyone find out about it in the first place while the whole country is obsessively focused on Peyton Manning, the scouting combine results, and the upcoming free agency period? No reporter gives a crap what a retired Chad Pennington does or who he talks to unless they were fed the story.

Like many others here, I've been a fan of this team for a sh*tload more years than Tannenbaum and Sanchez and Rex Ryan combined so don't presume to tell me what people I hate. What I hate is the Jets not winning a superbowl. In my opinion this is another freshly-paved road to not getting there. I think they (and the owner) are all well-intentioned in wanting to achieve that goal, but the same could be said for the OC they just fired as well as all of their fired coaches and GMs of years past.

Jet fans are the ones that have reacted to this story-there is no national tinge of newsworthiness in it.

The Jet fans who are on that lunatic fringe of thinking that they are somehow owed something by this sport, that they are somehow smarter through all their years of fandom, who are evaluators, psychologists, doctors and media critics.

Those are the geniuses who pretend that this little tidbit is even worth a mention of analysis.

Jets' Mark Sanchez learns new system with Chad Pennington in South Florida

Chad Pennington isn’t positive how Mark Sanchez got his number.

But one day in the weeks following the

Jets’ tumultuous 8-8 season, he got a phone call. The current Jets quarterback asked the former Jets quarterback if he could help him, specifically with picking up new offensive coordinator Tony Sparano’s system.

“He is extremely motivated and very hungry,” Pennington said by phone Friday. “He has a desire to right the ship and take advantage of what’s in front of him.”

Pennington agreed to meet, but not simply because of their Jets connection. He said it was “an honor” to share the experiences of his 11-year pro career with a young quarterback.

That young quarterback got a vote of confidence from the Jets organization Friday evening, in the form of

a three-year contract extension worth $40.5 million, giving Sanchez a total of $58.25 million over the next five years, per a person with knowledge of the terms of the deal.

That person requested anonymity because the team has not announced the terms of the deal.

But during the weeks of negotiations, and the speculation about the Jets’ interest in former Indianapolis Colts MVP Peyton Manning, Sanchez’s sole focus was becoming a better quarterback in 2012. He cleared his head. He emptied his brain and his heart on a yellow pad of paper. And he called Pennington, to whom Sanchez says he owes “a lot of gratitude.”

The rules of the collective bargaining agreement do not permit players to discuss football with coaches until the start of the offseason program in April. So Sanchez sought out Pennington, who uniquely played for Sparano in Miami and former Jets offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer, and could be a translator of sorts.

Sanchez flew to Ft. Lauderdale twice in February for a series of four or five classroom sessions with Pennington. They met in a hotel conference room for a few hours at a time, discussing Sparano’s philosophy and terminology, and “how Tony thinks.”

Sparano was the head coach during Pennington’s three seasons in Miami, one as the Comeback Player of the Year and two cut short by injury. Pennington brought his old notes and left them with Sanchez between sessions, finding the next day that Sanchez had spent hours studying them.

jets_logo.jpg

“Sparano is a perfect fit, not only for Mark but for the Jets,” said Pennington, who has worked with combine-bound quarterbacks at the South Florida facility of New Jersey-based TEST Football Academy the past two springs. “Tony will understand how to complement Rex’s defense and how to teach Mark the difference between losing games and winning games.”

Pennington identified Sparano’s emphasis on the run game and not turning the ball over, scoring when the offense has the chance to score and not paying too much attention to offensive statistics as good fits for Ryan’s attacking-style defense. He and Sanchez covered topics like how Sparano likes to protect the quarterback, how plays might be called and how the coach would approach situations such as the two-minute drill.

The two quarterbacks found they had a lot more to talk about than simply X’s and O’s — “everything included” with being a quarterback in the NFL, and the New York market.

“I don’t know if there’s anybody (better),” Sanchez said of Pennington. “He knew everything, and understood when we talked about the difficulties of the season and really underachieving last year. He knew every situation I was in, and more. It was great perspective to hear.”

“It became a useful tool, because in New York you can get out of whack as far as the criticism you are facing,” Pennington said. “You can easily forget about positives and focus only on the negatives. We talked about understanding that some criticisms you pay attention to, and some you don’t.”

It was a useful lesson for Sanchez, who helped the team to two AFC title games in his first two years but was inconsistent in his third pro season, low-lighted by a career-high 26 turnovers. He is now locked in as the Jets’ starter essentially through 2013 because of $20.5 million in guaranteed money in his extension — but questions about his future hung as recently as Thursday, when the Jets did their due diligence with Manning.

But Sanchez’s focus was never there. He mentioned Manning just once in his meetings with Pennington, whose Jets tenure ended with the Brett Favre trade in 2008. In late February, during one surge of media reports about Manning and the Colts’ impending split, Sanchez made a passing reference to the frenzy around the story line. And then they got right back to work.

“He is excited about working with his teammates, and having the locker room they know they need to have to be successful,” Pennington said. “He is excited about working with Tony. I think he sees they have a great opportunity to be successful, and he doesn’t want the opportunity to slip by

So now instead of throwing 8 yard slants when we need 15 yards for a 1st, we will throw 5 yard slants...makes sense to me.

Jet fans are the ones that have reacted to this story-there is no national tinge of newsworthiness in it.

The Jet fans who are on that lunatic fringe of thinking that they are somehow owed something by this sport, that they are somehow smarter through all their years of fandom, who are evaluators, psychologists, doctors and media critics.

Those are the geniuses who pretend that this little tidbit is even worth a mention of analysis.

I was calling it national news because it was picked up by national news outlets and not just the NJ Star-Ledger.

You're getting heated under that turtleneck? Hate will do that I guess. I think I'd take that as a compliment given that my due diligence is hundreds of times more focused on things that impact my life. You know, I take it as serious as you take the Jets....which is ****in' serious. Thank you for recognizing that. Thats better than getting a pic of an owl saying "O'rly".

So anyway, thats what I bestowed on you, not because of the fact that these players either never played again, bombed in Arizona, or was the 5th string WR on a different team. It was the fact that they werent replaced properly, you know...with TALENT. I do think that Kerley has a shot though. Clear the hate/frustration from your eyes and see what im typing.

That shot of yours which ended up being a compliment tells me alot. And im sorry that your energy and emotion is so intertwined in this team's QB and a Superbowl. Im not quite there yet. However, I do have a similar feeling when I see this planet going down the toilet bowl because of usury, snake bankers, lying a$$ lawyers but more importantly people who are being perpetrated on not paying attention whatsoever. My bad for wanting to talk about it in the lounge area. I was just loungin' you know? Didnt know that so many people would hold on to that and try to feed it to me anytime they got heated. Atleast I know that whether right or wrong, people are paying attention to my theories.

But hey, I'd rather live in a world where I can be wrong and try again instead of being wrong and forcefully taking a bailout at others expense by compartmentalizing the wealth in order to pretend like im not wrong. Thats not a theory by the way, though its typically called that.

You're getting heated under that turtleneck? Hate will do that I guess. I think I'd take that as a compliment given that my due diligence is hundreds of times more focused on things that impact my life. You know, I take it as serious as you take the Jets....which is ****in' serious. Thank you for recognizing that. Thats better than getting a pic of an owl saying "O'rly".

So anyway, thats what I bestowed on you, not because of the fact that these players either never played again, bombed in Arizona, or was the 5th string WR on a different team. It was the fact that they werent replaced properly, you know...with TALENT. I do think that Kerley has a shot though. Clear the hate/frustration from your eyes and see what im typing.

That shot of yours which ended up being a compliment tells me alot. And im sorry that your energy and emotion is so intertwined in this team's QB and a Superbowl. Im not quite there yet. However, I do have a similar feeling when I see this planet going down the toilet bowl because of usury, snake bankers, lying a$$ lawyers but more importantly people who are being perpetrated on not paying attention whatsoever. My bad for wanting to talk about it in the lounge area. I was just loungin' you know? Didnt know that so many people would hold on to that and try to feed it to me anytime they got heated. Atleast I know that whether right or wrong, people are paying attention to my theories.

But hey, I'd rather live in a world where I can be wrong and try again instead of being wrong and forcefully taking a bailout at others expense by compartmentalizing the wealth in order to pretend like im not wrong. Thats not a theory by the way, though its typically called that.

This planet has been going down hill ever since they nailed the man to the cross.....

Thats not true, we all know Darwin was right and we derived from algae soup and star dust! :winking0001:

Thats what we learn in public school right? Cant argue with that! lol.

Bwahahahah......post of the week dude!....+1

This has the making of a Hollymood movie.

The QB who could not make it due to injuries suffered in his career comes back and helps a young stallion who is underperforming and imparts the wisdom and hte knowledge that takes their team to a Super Bowl win or two!

I can fantasize, cant I ?

On the other hand......

o-rly-640x474.jpg

Archived