Players reaction to Tebow acquisition

Pac

Tebow trade 'tough' for Jets QB Sanchez, players say

Jets Blog

By BRIAN COSTELLO

Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger said he doesn’t think it will take long for Jets fans to start chanting Tim Tebow’s name. “First preseason game,” Roethlisberger said Tuesday.

And the two-time Super Bowl winning quarterback said that is going to be hard on current Jets starter Mark Sanchez, no matter what Sanchez says.

“I feel bad for him,” Roethlisberger told The Post at the unveiling of the new Nike NFL uniforms in Brooklyn. “It’s going to be tough. ”Roethlisberger said that a bunch of the players gathered for yesterday’s event were discussing the Jets’ trade for Tebow and how difficult it will be for Sanchez.

“[Tebow is] going to be the most popular guy in the city,” Roethlisberger said.

Roethlisberger was not the only player who believes Tebow’s presence will give Sanchez a big challenge.

Broncos cornerback Champ Bailey witnessed Tebowmania as a teammate the past two years. He said he thinks Sanchez needs to be looking over his shoulder because Tebow won’t be satisfied being a backup. “He’s going to challenge [for the starting job], absolutely,” Bailey said. “Sanchez can’t be too comfortable in his seat. He’s just got to keep playing, play well and he doesn’t have to worry about it. But if he doesn’t play well we all know what’s going to happen next.”

Bailey said he believes Tebow’s popularity is only going to grow in New York, and the veteran said the Jets likely have no idea what is coming.

“I [have] never seen anything like it,” Bailey said. “I played with Deion Sanders, who was one of the most popular guys to play, he didn’t have a fan base like that, not even close. Just to see a guy who hadn’t done anything much yet to have a fan base like that, it was crazy. It was hard to understand. The guy’s worth it because he works hard, he’s a great kid and I wish him all the best.”

Vikings wide receiver Percy Harvin played with Tebow in college at Florida. As he heard all of the spin coming out of Florham Park over the past few weeks, Harvin said he has laughed to himself.

“The thing I love about Tebow is when I see him give interviews I know exactly what he’s talking about,” Harvin said. “For anybody to think he’s not going in there to win the starting job, you’re fooling yourself. Sanchez and those guys want to sit back and say how calm and cool and they’re not worried about it. Anybody other than Peyton Manning, Michael Vick, names like that, if you have Tebow coming to your team you have a situation.”

Jets running back Shonn Greene was the team’s representative at the event. He said he is not worried about Tebow’s effect on the team and said he believes Tebow and Sanchez will be able to coexist.

“Yeah, why not? Why wouldn’t they be able to?” Greene said. “Give the defense more pressure on them, give them different looks.”

The Jets have talked about using Tebow in a Wildcat package for as many as 20 plays a game. Roethlisberger said he doesn’t know how they will be able to do that and not completely disrupt Sanchez’s play.

“As a quarterback, you want to get into a rhythm,” Roethlisberger said. “You don’t want to come out of the game, go back in, come back out and go back in. You want to get into a rhythm and go and play your game. That’s usually how you play your best. I don’t know what they’re going to do. I’ve heard talk about 20 plays a game. That’s a third of the plays.

“If you’re Sanchez, it’s got to be a little frustrating. He’s a team guy and he’s going to do what’s best for the team, but it’s going to be hard for him to get into any kind of rhythm.”

This is getting blown out of proportion. If Timessiah comes in and skips passes 10 yards in front of receivers the Tebow chants will end before they start. Everyone needs to calm down.

Jets Blog

By BRIAN COSTELLO

Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger said he doesn’t think it will take long for Jets fans to start chanting Tim Tebow’s name. “First preseason game,” Roethlisberger said Tuesday.

And the two-time Super Bowl winning quarterback said that is going to be hard on current Jets starter Mark Sanchez, no matter what Sanchez says.

“I feel bad for him,” Roethlisberger told The Post at the unveiling of the new Nike NFL uniforms in Brooklyn. “It’s going to be tough. ”Roethlisberger said that a bunch of the players gathered for yesterday’s event were discussing the Jets’ trade for Tebow and how difficult it will be for Sanchez.

Roethlisberger was not the only player who believes Tebow’s presence will give Sanchez a big challenge.

Broncos cornerback Champ Bailey witnessed Tebowmania as a teammate the past two years. He said he thinks Sanchez needs to be looking over his shoulder because Tebow won’t be satisfied being a backup. “He’s going to challenge [for the starting job], absolutely,” Bailey said. “Sanchez can’t be too comfortable in his seat. He’s just got to keep playing, play well and he doesn’t have to worry about it. But if he doesn’t play well we all know what’s going to happen next.” Bailey said he believes Tebow’s popularity is only going to grow in New York, and the veteran said the Jets likely have no idea what is coming.

See bolded sections. This is what the media says will be "bad" for the Jets. LOL.

The last thing we need is someone to push Sanchez, right? The last thing we need is a backup plan in case he never turns out, right? LOL

So apparently the media would have been whining even if the Jets acquired someone like Henne or Flynn. Apparently they wanted someone that would simultaneously be 1) a good backup and 2) not challenge Sanchez' job security. Screw them, they are so full of it... that makes no sense.

Plus I will take a younger, unique talent like Tebow over the Henne's of the world any day.

Jets Blog

By BRIAN COSTELLO

Broncos cornerback Champ Bailey witnessed Tebowmania as a teammate the past two years. He said he thinks Sanchez needs to be looking over his shoulder because Tebow won’t be satisfied being a backup. “He’s going to challenge [for the starting job], absolutely,” Bailey said. “Sanchez can’t be too comfortable in his seat. He’s just got to keep playing, play well and he doesn’t have to worry about it. But if he doesn’t play well we all know what’s going to happen next.”

Bailey said he believes Tebow’s popularity is only going to grow in New York, and the veteran said the Jets likely have no idea what is coming.

“I [have] never seen anything like it,” Bailey said. “I played with Deion Sanders, who was one of the most popular guys to play, he didn’t have a fan base like that, not even close. Just to see a guy who hadn’t done anything much yet to have a fan base like that, it was crazy. It was hard to understand. The guy’s worth it because he works hard, he’s a great kid and I wish him all the best.”

Vikings wide receiver Percy Harvin played with Tebow in college at Florida. As he heard all of the spin coming out of Florham Park over the past few weeks, Harvin said he has laughed to himself.

“The thing I love about Tebow is when I see him give interviews I know exactly what he’s talking about,” Harvin said. “For anybody to think he’s not going in there to win the starting job, you’re fooling yourself. Sanchez and those guys want to sit back and say how calm and cool and they’re not worried about it. Anybody other than Peyton Manning, Michael Vick, names like that, if you have Tebow coming to your team you have a situation.”

Jets running back Shonn Greene was the team’s representative at the event. He said he is not worried about Tebow’s effect on the team and said he believes Tebow and Sanchez will be able to coexist.

“Yeah, why not? Why wouldn’t they be able to?” Greene said. “Give the defense more pressure on them, give them different looks.”

The Jets have talked about using Tebow in a Wildcat package for as many as 20 plays a game. Roethlisberger said he doesn’t know how they will be able to do that and not completely disrupt Sanchez’s play.

“As a quarterback, you want to get into a rhythm,” Roethlisberger said. “You don’t want to come out of the game, go back in, come back out and go back in. You want to get into a rhythm and go and play your game. That’s usually how you play your best. I don’t know what they’re going to do. I’ve heard talk about 20 plays a game. That’s a third of the plays.

“If you’re Sanchez, it’s got to be a little frustrating. He’s a team guy and he’s going to do what’s best for the team, but it’s going to be hard for him to get into any kind of rhythm.”

This is getting blown out of proportion. If Timessiah comes in and skips passes 10 yards in front of receivers the Tebow chants will end before they start. Everyone needs to calm down.

First: Sanchez SHOULD be feeling pressure behind him. When did the NFL turn into "everyone gets a trophy and nobody wins" football?

Second: Sanchez has demonstrated clearly that he cannot get into a rhythm without Tebow, so why is it such a big ******* mellowdrama that he "might" not be able to find a rhythm with Tebow. Frankly, Sanchez had better rhythm and results in previous seasons with Brad Smith wildcat, than he did last year without it.

Third: When is the ******* draft, I can't take this crap anymore. All this crybaby bullsh*t. Sanchez is an underachieving quarterback. Tebow is an overachieving out of position football player. Let's see what happens... its more important to worry about the other positions NOT being addressed right now than the QB position.

See bolded sections. This is what the media says will be "bad" for the Jets. LOL.

The last thing we need is someone to push Sanchez, right? The last thing we need is a backup plan in case he never turns out, right? LOL

So apparently the media would have been whining even if the Jets acquired someone like Henne or Flynn. Apparently they wanted someone that would simultaneously be 1) a good backup and 2) not challenge Sanchez' job security. Screw them, they are so full of it... that makes no sense.

Plus I will take a younger, unique talent like Tebow over the Henne's of the world any day.

The interesting thing is that the FO has put themselves in a situation where the backup will 1) not be a good quarterback and 2) challenge Sanchez's job security anyway.

I would have been happier if we have a backup who could throw!

It's not that Sanchez shouldn't be better at his job, it's more that they've put him in this ridiculous situation where unless he plays like Tom Brady, nothing will be considered enough of a success to keep people quiet. You've brought in a guy that some people will ALWAYS be screaming for. It's nothing that should stop Sanchez from being successful, but it's not exactly helpful, either.

Finally, there's the whole question of bringing in a guy who, as of right now, isn't a good QB to play backup QB because people are thinking that the starting QB might not be good enough. Dumbest part of the whole thing. People will be screaming for the glory days of Sanchez after Tebow's first 7-17, 130 yard game.

sanchez has no pressure on him !!!! get the torches, we're storming the castle !!!

sanchez has too much pressure !!! get the torches, we're storming the castle !!!

so if you get a mob of angry villagers either way, I say bring the heat

It's not that Sanchez shouldn't be better at his job, it's more that they've put him in this ridiculous situation where unless he plays like Tom Brady, nothing will be considered enough of a success to keep people quiet. You've brought in a guy that some people will ALWAYS be screaming for. It's nothing that should stop Sanchez from being successful, but it's not exactly helpful, either.

Finally, there's the whole question of bringing in a guy who, as of right now, isn't a good QB to play backup QB because people are thinking that the starting QB might not be good enough. Dumbest part of the whole thing. People will be screaming for the glory days of Sanchez after Tebow's first 7-17, 130 yard game.

Yeah, we'll be screaming for Sanchez' 8 for 17, 130 yards and two int.

If you wanted to be accurate then these would be the numbers in your fantasy game:

Tebow is the guy with 8 completions.

Sanchez has 9

They both throw for 130 yards

Sanchez two interceptions (maybe a pick six)

Tebow one (no pick six, a little further down the field than to a defensive lineman)

Tebow runs for fifty yards

Sanchez runs for his life

That's about right.

He makes millions to earn a QB job from a less skilled but driven player and we're supposed to feel sorry for him. Sanchez needs to get to work, take care of his business and show us what he's made of. Could care less about his feelings.

Tebow = great pickup.

He makes millions to earn a QB job from a less skilled but driven player and we're supposed to feel sorry for him. Sanchez needs to get to work, take care of his business and show us what he's made of. Could care less about his feelings.

Tebow = great pickup.

This

Tebow = great pickup.

This

+1

Archived