Temple RB Bernard Pierce

bitonti

Just wanted to create a thread for one of the underrated sleepers in this draft. He's a tough runner with underrated speed, perfect for a 3rd round pick. With the Temple connection (Mo Wilk etc) he's gotta be on their radar.

I don't know _exactly_ why but I feel this player will have a special career.

He has the vision of a young Curtis Martin. temple really didn't have a passing offense, the other team knew he was getting the ball every time and he was still really productive. Just a tough player.

I love Pierce! Mentioned before he's on of my favorite RB's. Well deserved thread. After T-rich I wouldn't be surprised at all if he ends up having the best NFL career out of the RB crop. Forte'esque maybe not so much as a player but as a dark horse prospect sorta lurking in the shadows.

Big fan of Pierce as well, think he'll be very productive if he lands in the right situation. Heard he caught the ball extremely well at his pro day too though he wasn't given a chance to showcase that in college. Probably not a good comparison at all, but when he gets outside the tackles he reminds me of Arian Foster a bit. Looks like he runs a little high too but that's not a huge deal.

im thinking more like Greene's gone after this season and Pierce is the new #1 RB.

The major problem I have with Greene...he has stone hands...good for boxer...terrible for NFL RB...wouldn't mind a RB this year...not high on my board...liked Cyrus Grey earlier hoped we could get him later...fifth round...probably won't last...just wish we had some read on Powell from last year...was he just a one-year wonder? did he not understand how to block? Guy looked lost.

just wish we had some read on Powell from last year...was he just a one-year wonder? did he not understand how to block? Guy looked lost.

my read on powell is he hit the rookie wall and probably not a starter anyway. Could backup.

From the video, he appears to run a little too upright, though. It also looks like he is slow to hit the hole. I just see a guy who makes himself a big target, isn't real shifty and is slow through the hole...it adds up to someone I am not excited about.

I don't see it. He's too slow to hit the hole, and had what looked like marginal production against friggin Wyoming.

Pierce ran a 4.4 at Indy and his wyoming box score was 25 carries, 100 yards and 2 TD. and keep in mind the Temple Owls don't really have a passing offense.

Pierce ran a 4.4 at Indy and his wyoming box score was 25 carries, 100 yards and 2 TD. and keep in mind the Temple Owls don't really have a passing offense.

He ran a 4.49, Matt. If we're going to round down to make a point might as well say he ran it in 4 seconds.

My comment was on his hitting the hole slow, so I looked up his 10-yard split.

At Indy he ran his 10-yard split in 1.52 seconds, better than LaMichael James.

Maybe he is extremely patient and just looks slow...but 4 ypc in college against Wyoming...albeit in a bowl game without a passing attack. I remain unimpressed.

Would much rather see the talents of Doug Martin or Robert Turbin.

He ran a 4.49, Matt. If we're going to round down to make a point might as well say he ran it in 4 seconds.

My comment was on his hitting the hole slow, so I looked up his 10-yard split.

At Indy he ran his 10-yard split in 1.52 seconds, better than LaMichael James.

Maybe he is extremely patient and just looks slow...but 4 ypc in college against Wyoming...albeit in a bowl game without a passing attack. I remain unimpressed.

Would much rather see the talents of Doug Martin or Robert Turbin.

the truth is that many people shared your concerns before he worked out. he blew those concerns away at Indy.

he is patient and he has outstanding vision. He reminds me of Curtis Martin. I don't think he will have a 15 year career but the guy has a way of finding that extra yard or two.

Our offense is going to look so good next year. We need a back pretty badly.

Greene is more than capable. He had good production considering the elements last season. Tebow is going to be short yardage back. I dunno, feel like McKnight isnt a bad 3rd down back and I'm still holding out hope for Powell. Just think it isnt a position of value anymore.

No RB's till late. Late late. 6 or 7.

Just not worth it.

jif unfortunately the Jets value Rb alot more than most teams and more than you and I.

the Jets don't want Robert Turbin or Pierce.

they want TR. and I suspect they get him.

Greene is more than capable. He had good production considering the elements last season. Tebow is going to be short yardage back. I dunno, feel like McKnight isnt a bad 3rd down back and I'm still holding out hope for Powell. Just think it isnt a position of value anymore.

The problem with Greene is that he doesnt offer 20-25 yard chunk potential. When we dont have a passing offense that can stretch the field, that's a problem. We actually missed Brad Smith more than we thought we would...he at least had the ability to keep drives alive with those chunks of yards he'd break off seemingly once a game.

because he has bought into the idea that you can only win with an all out passing attack

basically... but I would ask that you remove the word "ONLY"

once in 5 years a ball control non elite QB team wins the super bowl

it's another way to skin a cat. it is possible.

but it's the far less likely way.

example "ball control" Super Bowl wins

2003 Bucs

2001 Ravens

1992 Redskins

1991 Giants

1986 Bears

5 times in the last 26 years

i guess for the Jets that's not relevant info, as a Jets Super Bowl win is such a Black Swan unlikely outcome. There's no such mindset as Rationally hoping for a Jets SB win.

Um...the Steelers? They're every ball control's teams #1 role model.

agreed Brady's 1st win was a ball control win. As was Elways Terrell Davis aided win.

we can play fast and loose but the bottom line is a franchise QB. that's why I put the 1991 Giants on there but not the 1985 Giants. Hostetter wasn't a franchise QB, Simms was.

Sanchez is paid like a franchise QB and maybe by winning a Super Bowl he becomes one...

agreed Brady's 1st win was a ball control win. As was Elways Terrell Davis aided win.

we can play fast and loose but the bottom line is a franchise QB. that's why I put the 1991 Giants on there but not the 1985 Giants. Hostetter wasn't a franchise QB, Simms was.

Sanchez is paid like a franchise QB and maybe by winning a Super Bowl he becomes one...

This.

Sanchez's issue is confidence. When he plays confident he plays well, when he doesn't he is the guy that half the people on this board scream to get rid of.

Some of the fans need to remember what Mark's play looks like when he is on his game. He has the ability to be top ten. Same as Eli was. Remember what he looked like in 2010 vs 2011

basically... but I would ask that you remove the word "ONLY"

once in 5 years a ball control non elite QB team wins the super bowl

it's another way to skin a cat. it is possible.

but it's the far less likely way.

example "ball control" Super Bowl wins

2003 Bucs

2001 Ravens

1992 Redskins

1991 Giants

1986 Bears

5 times in the last 26 years

i guess for the Jets that's not relevant info, as a Jets Super Bowl win is such a Black Swan unlikely outcome. There's no such mindset as Rationally hoping for a Jets SB win.

With the obvious exception of Dilfer, who I'm sure everyone concedes would have won absolutely nothing without that 2000 Ravens D, I think there's a pretty big margin between our QB and those QBs you mention (or at least how good they were that season):

You can't do that and have the QB turn the ball over dozens of times. Those QBs you mentioned? Here are the total turnovers (int + lost fumbles) in those SB years:

McMahon: 11

Simms/Hoss: 7

Rypien: 11

BJohnson: 6

Sanchez: 26

I think it's a good argument. Both are probably my favorites for the slightly bulkier/bigger/between the T's mid round RB's. You might be right.

I also like Chris Polk and Doug Martin better. We need our back to have good hands in order to complement Greene who can't catch a cold. We also need them to be able to hit a hole hard and with good body lean. If you are a 220 lb back and stand straight up at contact, you might as well be LaMichael James at that point.

I also like Chris Polk and Doug Martin better. We need our back to have good hands in order to complement Greene who can't catch a cold. We also need them to be able to hit a hole hard and with good body lean. If you are a 220 lb back and stand straight up at contact, you might as well be LaMichael James at that point.

100% agree about the need for a RB who can also catch out of the backfield! I've read Polk is a headcase/bad locker room guy.

Archived