Inside the Jets WAR ROOM!

Blackout

I dont see the big deal with all the people in the room. Woody doesnt really count and Rex really doesnt either. 2 guys moving cards doesnt count for much either. Alot of those guys are in there for training purposes as well since you never know when someone is going to get he cal to move on from the team. But for the most part you have guys there to play a role. You have guys to confirm something about a guy. You have someone to tell them if they have the cap ammo (plus legal ammo) to make a trade . A few scouting opinions. To make it out like its 13 voices shouting all at once I think is just way off. Its probably 4 or 5 voices at the most. Id also say "broom closet" is a bit extreme of a description especially considering it can fit 13 plus a camera guy on draft day.

Don't forget the sous chef!

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am curious to see what the new offense bring protection wise. There has been much made of Sparano wanting to put a premium on protection. With Mark still relatively young that really is a must. I like Mark, he has a ton to prove but I think he can get the team to the next level.

Thank you for not being a Mark Haterrrr

Thanks. So it's almost certain that one of those guys will be their 1st round pick right? I can't see them drafting someone else with that 1st pick without having visited..

Historically that's been the case. But there are also rumors that we're looking to move down, which we've never done under Tannenbaum, so that would make things much harder to predict.

Historically that's been the case. But there are also rumors that we're looking to move down, which we've never done under Tannenbaum, so that would make things much harder to predict.

Really hoping they break the visitors trend this year, particularly since any and every somewhat knowledgeable fan knows this as common knowledge.

Plus, the possible first round guys listed there after Ingram and Coples (maybe Floyd) aren't very inspiring. Like you, if it was up to me I'd be going Perry or Barron. I could still see Barron being the pick if he made it to 16, because there's the possibility they just don't think he'll make it there.

Really hoping they break the visitors trend this year, particularly since any and every somewhat knowledgeable fan knows this as common knowledge.

Plus, the possible first round guys listed there after Ingram and Coples (maybe Floyd) aren't very inspiring. Like you, if it was up to me I'd be going Perry or Barron. I could still see Barron being the pick if he made it to 16, because there's the possibility they just don't think he'll make it there.

Exact;y. You look at that list, and with the exception of 2 or 3 players, it just screams trade down.

He obviously saw potential in Mark and thought he was a good player. Mark proved that with two AFC championships. He should continue to focus on Mark's progress by surrounding him with the weapons he needs to win games.

Now you stop making sense,,, k

I love those rumors, but who are we rumored to possibly be trading with to move down? Who's going to be on the board at #16 -that the Jets don't want- that someone else will be willing to move up for?

I love those rumors, but who are we rumored to possibly be trading with to move down? Who's going to be on the board at #16 -that the Jets don't want- that someone else will be willing to move up for?

Tannehill will be the key here. If he goes top ten, then teams will start getting nervous about where Weeden et al will land.

Looks like the Jets will have good reason to trade down and stockpile picks. Should be a ton of available OLBs and WRs late RD 1/early RD 2.

He's saying Ingram could slide to mid round and Upshaw slide to late round from where they are projected now, which is possibly Top 7 and mid round respectively.

He's saying Ingram could slide to mid round and Upshaw slide to late round from where they are projected now, which is possibly Top 7 and mid round respectively.

Exactly. They are still considered two of the top OLBs available. As they slide, so do others, meaning the Jets could pick up similar talent later in the draft. Although, it is looking like trading down might not be easy.

Adam Schefter@AdamSchefter

AdamSchefter

Promises to be an active, unpredictable draft. One NFL GM went so far as to say today, "Picks 3-16 are all trying to trade back."

Exactly. They are still considered two of the top OLBs available. As they slide, so do others, meaning the Jets could pick up similar talent later in the draft. Although, it is looking like trading down might not be easy.

Ok I'm with what you're saying. But if Ingram is there at 16 he's the automatic, no brainer pick imo. If the Jets had the 5 overall pick he'd be the choice imo.

we talk an awful lot about how bad the jets draft

or how 13 men in the warroom is a sign of failure

it's just not true.

there are few draft picks in the last 10 years that were as good as the Revis pick. Or the Mangold pick. or the Harris pick in rd 2.

what do we expect? Every pick from every year to be a hall of famer?

That's not how the draft works.

most picks, from most teams, actually suck. being good at the draft is like being good at hitting a baseball. if you hit a home run once out of every 10 times you are Albert Pujols.

we talk an awful lot about how bad the jets draft or how 13 men in the warroom is a sign of failure it's just not true. there are few draft picks in the last 10 years that were as good as the Revis pick. Or the Mangold pick. or the Harris pick in rd 2. what do we expect? Every pick from every year to be a hall of famer? That's not how the draft works. most picks, from most teams, actually suck. being good at the draft is like being good at hitting a baseball. if you hit a home run once out of every 10 times you are Albert Pujols.

too many cooks spoil the broth, it aint a party in there, should be Tanny Rex JC TB off Coord and Dec Coord that equals 6

too many cooks spoil the broth, it aint a party in there, should be Tanny Rex JC TB off Coord and Dec Coord that equals 6

LOL seriously. WTF do you care how many people are in their war room? This is blatant pessimism for the sake of pessimism!!! Btw just about every team has about the same lulz.

we talk an awful lot about how bad the jets draft

or how 13 men in the warroom is a sign of failure

it's just not true.

there are few draft picks in the last 10 years that were as good as the Revis pick. Or the Mangold pick. or the Harris pick in rd 2.

what do we expect? Every pick from every year to be a hall of famer?

That's not how the draft works.

most picks, from most teams, actually suck. being good at the draft is like being good at hitting a baseball. if you hit a home run once out of every 10 times you are Albert Pujols.

I said the same thing in this thread earlier. We could have done wayyyy worse in prior years. Tanny has done well in his time here and is well respected amongst his peers.

Most folks will tell you that Ozzie Newsome is one of the best GMs out there, and he has earned the acclaim. The same folks will tell you he is a great drafter. Well, guess how many AFC Championships the Ravens have made under his guidance? That's right sports fans, two, and that is because they went last year. He is also responsible for trading up (with the Pats no less) to draft Klye Boller. The Pats took Wilfork with that pick. Boller recently tried out for the Ravens for Act II as the backup, but he was beaten out by the world renowned CURTIS PAINTER!!

In other words, they are not all slam dunks. Tanny has done better than most. Be careful for what you wish...

I said the same thing in this thread earlier. We could have done wayyyy worse in prior years. Tanny has done well in his time here and is well respected amongst his peers.

Most folks will tell you that Ozzie Newsome is one of the best GMs out there, and he has earned the acclaim. The same folks will tell you he is a great drafter. Well, guess how many AFC Championships the Ravens have made under his guidance? That's right sports fans, two, and that is because they went last year. He is also responsible for trading up (with the Pats no less) to draft Klye Boller. The Pats took Wilfork with that pick. Boller recently tried out for the Ravens for Act II as the backup, but he was beaten out by the world renowned CURTIS PAINTER!!

In other words, they are not all slam dunks. Tanny has done better than most. Be careful for what you wish...

Jets HC makes all the picks, Look at Crushers video of tanny and u think he has a clue of what makes a football player?

No idea. Someone suggested Detroit for one of the CBs.

Not giving an opinion one way or the other on how many people are in the war room, but I was reading about Belichick and how he has no more than 4 people in the Patriots war room. His reasoning, he didn't want to hear lots of opinions and perspectives, rather, he wanted to hear the RIGHT opinions and perspectives during draft day.

It probably varies from franchise to franchise, depending on coach, gm, owner and culture.

Huh? There are hundreds of potential draft picks - you think the optimal way to scout players is just for the GM to go out and do all the work? You actually think he has time to do research on every player?

I dunno, makes sense to me to have anyone in the room that can add value or input on the player. How does it hurt?

Jets HC makes all the picks, Look at Crushers video of tanny and u think he has a clue of what makes a football player?

They Joke about Rex getting one pick a year. He certainly does not make the draft day decisions. Tanny makes educated decisions based on football information for which he pays good money to obtain. He is GM, not a a talent scout like his predecessor, which is why the Jets are in much better shape. It is easy to point fingers, but comparatively speaking, he has done really well. If the Jest were to cut bait with Tanny tomorrow, he would be hired by another team instantly.

Just read pat-holes have just 4 in room, not that they are draft wizards,

Ok that's cool. But when you watch the draft this week they'll show shots of some war rooms. When they do you'll see a bunch of people in most of these rooms. It's insignificant regardless how many is in the room anyway. Every team has a scouting department and a final decision maker. It's absolutely absurd for a fan to care how many are in the actual room.

Huh? There are hundreds of potential draft picks - you think the optimal way to scout players is just for the GM to go out and do all the work? You actually think he has time to do research on every player?

I dunno, makes sense to me to have anyone in the room that can add value or input on the player. How does it hurt?

those meetings should be finalized by wed imo

They Joke about Rex getting one pick a year. He certainly does not make the draft day decisions. Tanny makes educated decisions based on football information for which he pays good money to obtain. He is GM, not a a talent scout like his predecessor, which is why the Jets are in much better shape. It is easy to point fingers, but comparatively speaking, he has done really well. If the Jest were to cut bait with Tanny tomorrow, he would be hired by another team instantly.

LOL

Not giving an opinion one way or the other on how many people are in the war room, but I was reading about Belichick and how he has no more than 4 people in the Patriots war room. His reasoning, he didn't want to hear lots of opinions and perspectives, rather, he wanted to hear the RIGHT opinions and perspectives during draft day.

It probably varies from franchise to franchise, depending on coach, gm, owner and culture.

Just read pat-holes have just 4 in room, not that they are draft wizards,

The Patriots have also been one of the single worst drafting teams for years now, so that's hardly helping to make your case.

"If a guy's a [jerk] when he has no money and you give him $5 million, he's going to be a bigger [jerk]," Tannenbaum said.

Oh, and am I the only one wondering what Tanny actually said in the above quote? I just find it amusing, as he hardly strikes me as the kind of guy to be dropping expletives, particularly in front of the media. I'm starting to think he's been hanging out with Rex a little too long.

Archived