Cimini: Kenrick's Legal Woes on Frontburner

flgreen

Kenrick's legal woes on frontburner

May, 15, 2012

May 15

8:04

AM ET

By Rich Cimini | ESPNNewYork.com

Second-year NT Kenrick Ellis' legal odyssey could come into focus over the next two weeks.

Ellis, facing a felony charge for malicious wounding, is scheduled for a pre-trial hearing Thursday in Hampton, Va., where he allegedly attacked a man in April, 2010. The criminal trial, already postponed twice, is set to begin May 22.

Ellis was a student at Hampton University when the alleged incident occurred. He faces up to 20 years if convicted.

The Jets were aware of the pending charges when they selected Ellis in the third round of the 2011 draft. A potential complication is that Ellis is not a U.S. citizen. Ellis, a native of Jamaica who moved to Florida at the age of 11, has "permanent resident" status. A permanent resident convicted of an aggravated felony is deportable, according to immigration law. People close to Ellis have said the alleged victim harassed his girlfriend and came after him with a baseball bat, prompting the lineman to act in self-defense.

Ellis also is facing a civil suit. It was filed last April by Dennis Eley, who is seeking $3 million in damages. In his complaint, obtained by ESPNNewYork.com, he accused Ellis of beating him unconcious and breaking his nose and jaw, requiring two surgeries.

Eley's attorney, S. Howard Woodson, recently withdrew the suit, but that was only a technicality -- it was about to lapse under Virginia state law -- and he told ESPNNewYork.com he intends to re-file.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't see the hold up here for two years.

Seems like the guy attacked Ellis with a baseball bat, and Ellis beat the crap out of him.

Only thing I aan see going bad here is if Ellis went after the guy first, guy gets the bat, Ellis takes it off him, and then beats him with it.

If that the case Ellis is in trouble. it's really concerning me that the prosecutor won't plea down. Seems like they are insisting on jail time. Don't like this at all that they seem to be going to trial. usually if you go to trial and lose, you get hammered

If someone comes after you with a baseball bat you reserve the right to take it from him and beat him unconsious with his own bat. Rule # 38 in the man code....

This really should be a law of the land rather than just man code. Only because law of the land trumps man code in the real world.

Seems pointless to hold this off for so long, but those damn bureaucrats in Washington something something.

I'd like to read an article not by Cimini to better understand just how bad it really is.

Yeah

When the Jets first drafted Ellis I even tried to go into the clerk of court up there, and checked local articles to try and find out what actually happened,

Couldn't find any details

Oh well. We've wasted 3rd rounders on worse... Anthony the Boar Hunter Schmegal comes to mind.

The Boar Hunter was once in a similar altercation. Exception he lost the fight and he was holding the bat. #BadPick

I'd like to read an article not by Cimini to better understand just how bad it really is.

The fact that nobody else but Cimini has bothered to even comment on it should tell us something right off the bat. And every other article on the topic at this time last year made it seem like there wasn't a whole lot to worry about. I'm sure the Jets did their research on it before making the pick, so they must have felt ok about it, but I guess we'll have to wait and see.

That said, can you imagine the media sh*tstorm that will happen if an NFL player is deported for an incident where someone tried to attack him with a baseball bat, when he was protecting a woman no less? That alone makes me think the chances of Ellis going anywhere can't be all that high. I imagine worst case scenario would be he gets hit with reduced charges and little else comes of it. I mean hell, Donte Stallworth served like 15 minutes and he killed a guy.

The fact that nobody else but Cimini has bothered to even comment on it should tell us something right off the bat. And every other article on the topic at this time last year made it seem like there wasn't a whole lot to worry about. I'm sure the Jets did their research on it before making the pick, so they must have felt ok about it, but I guess we'll have to wait and see.

That said, can you imagine the media sh*tstorm that will happen if an NFL player is deported for an incident where someone tried to attack him with a baseball bat, when he was protecting a woman no less? That alone makes me think the chances of Ellis going anywhere can't be all that high. I imagine worst case scenario would be he gets hit with reduced charges and little else comes of it. I mean hell, Donte Stallworth served like 15 minutes and he killed a guy.

That was my thought when this first came up. I honestly thought it would quickly be reduced to disorderly person, plea bargain, case over,

It seems clear the prosecution doesn't want the plea bargain down to a non-felony. It just might be they want to get there 15 minutes of fame for trying an NFL player, or this is going to go bad

That was my thought when this first came up. I honestly thought it would quickly be reduced to disorderly person, plea bargain, case over,

It seems clear the prosecution doesn't want the plea bargain down to a non-felony. It just might be they want to get there 15 minutes of fame for trying an NFL player, or this is going to go bad

You might be right, or it could just be Ellis isn't willing to accept whatever plea deal has been put on the table. This time last year him and his lawyer seemed rather adamant about his innocence. I'm sure at this point the Jets' legal team has probably weighed in on the situation as well and if everyone involved thinks Ellis has nothing to worry about, it's very possible he's being advised not to take a deal. I don't think there's any doubt if this thing goes to trial, it'll get some serious coverage and the media and public will be taking his side as long as the story we've heard holds up.

Conspiracy time:

Case was held off by the NFL script writers with details withheld to further build up the image of those rowdy, evil doing Jets.

The script writers now realize that the Jets work better as underdogs so any and every preseason storyline/event will be presented in the light that makes them a "surprise" team come September/show time.

i dont think there's a player on the Jets roster who is as widely loved and has done less than Kenrick Ellis. Who friggin cares if he gets deported? the guy didn't contribute at all

Yeah! In his year in the league! Guy did what The uber popular Pito did...got a few (less than Pito but he was there) snaps, held his ground, and nothing beyond that. Difference is he didn't blow out his knee, weighs 350 pounds with 6'5" height and above average athleticism, and has long term starting NT potential when Pouha is done.

So you take that back Bit. You take that back right now!

i dont think there's a player on the Jets roster who is as widely loved and has done less than Kenrick Ellis. Who friggin cares if he gets deported? the guy didn't contribute at all

So glad you weren't the GM after Pouha's rookie season

VG has been thinking too much

as he gets more comfortable he will get better

i.e. you can coach a guy to adjust to the pro game

you can't coach him to be a lean 267 and run a 4.6.

the same jokers that call Vernon Gholston a bust would take him on their team, today. A 266 pound dude who runs a 4.6 and is solid muscle... you bet they'd find a place for Vernon Gholston.

as for jets fans calling him a bust, there's just no excuse. We should know better than that. We saw Hugh Douglas go to the pro bowl 2 years after leaving the Jets and we saw James Farrior do the same.

This is gonna sound obvious but sometimes 23 year olds are boys and they are playing a man's game. Will VG grow up? Stay tuned but the draft is about potential and anyone who says there was a pick that made better sense at 6 overall is a flat out liar.

every preseason game we have to hear this crap?

by the way Westerman got schooled on the Ray Rice TD. VG wasn't even on the field until 2nd quarter.

im still a Gholston believer because he's got a first step that can't be coached... he's active on special teams... and the rest will come.

have faith Jets fans... for a change.

My argument is not that Gholston will be great... my argument is that it's not right to call a guy a bust who is 23, broke the all time sack record at ohio state, runs a 4.6 40, jumps 42 inches straight up, benches 225 37 times, weighs 270 pounds, and still best football in front of him.

There's an awful lot of potential there... it might never be realized but writing him off now is foolhardy.

what was Bryan Thomas' career highlight at this stage? Calvin Pace?

How many NFL players are stars at 23?

ill give you two... Bryan Thomas and Calvin Pace.

im not the one changing the parameters... these are both first rounders, who dissapointed at first... got their game together... and became good if not great NFL players.

Keep in mind Gholston is 23. Pace is 27.

5 years from now Gholston will be 28, Pace will be 32.

Do we really think VG won't get better as he hits his prime? Because that's the position you guys are taking, that a 23 year old football player isn't getting any better than he is today.

so basically you would rather attack my credibility than discuss the issue at hand. there are other draft picks I was right about ya know. for example the large man in my avatar.

reading those messages again, I stand by alot of it. 23 is too young to write off a player. Stay tuned seems to be the message.

last year Pito had over 300 defensive snaps, Ellis had about 60. my point is if they lose Ellis to legal issues, it's not a huge loss. the team must have been factoring that in when they resigned Pouha. Had Ellis taken the league by storm, i wonder if they would have resigned a 33 year old NT to decent money.

so basically you would rather attack my credibility than discuss the issue at hand. there are other draft picks I was right about ya know. for example the large man in my avatar.

D'Stink?

Pito had over 300 snaps, Ellis had about 60. my point is if they lose Ellis to legal issues, it's not a huge loss. the team must have been factoring that in when they resigned Pouha. Had Ellis taken the league by storm, i wonder if they would have resigned a 33 year old NT to decent money.

When you demand patience with every sh*tty DE/OLB tweener who's ever lived and then tell us that it's nbd if a guy with Ngata measurables gets deported, your credibility becomes the issue at hand.

Yeah! In his year in the league! Guy did what The uber popular Pito did...got a few (less than Pito but he was there) snaps, held his ground, and nothing beyond that. Difference is he didn't blow out his knee, weighs 350 pounds with 6'5" height and above average athleticism, and has long term starting NT potential when Pouha is done.

So you take that back Bit. You take that back right now!

=D> LOL

When you demand patience with every sh*tty DE/OLB tweener who's ever lived and then tell us that it's nbd if a guy with Ngata measurables gets deported, your credibility becomes the issue at hand.

attacking the debater not the topic is an extremely lazy tactic. im sure we all said dumb sh*t in the last 3 years the difference is I don't remember yours and/or am too lazy to look it up.

he's a top 5 LT in the NFL and a 3x Pro Bowler. and i think he's under contract until 2020 or something ludicrous.

Top 5 LT very hard thing to say.. He wasn't very good last year, was good the year prior though...

Guy was drafted #4.. Supposed to be a top 5 player

I thought the Ellis case was due in May, infact I'm pretty sure the club and the player asked for the trial date to go back to May.

I'd guess the punk he worked over is a chancer, seeing he's put a Law suit in for 3mill in Damages. I hope it goes OK for the guy he's got a lot of potential.

Although the Drafting of Coples and the now leaning to more 4-3 fronts means if we do loose him the impact will be minor this season.

Top 5 LT very hard thing to say.. He wasn't very good last year, was good the year prior though...

Guy was drafted #4.. Supposed to be a top 5 player

The 3 time all pro label means absolutely nothing....with guys backing out of the game and such.

I personally can't stand D'Brick. He's an okay pass protector,and a CRAPPY run blocker. He's no bust, but I compare him to Bryan Thomas in terms of the type of production we got out of the guy. Decent, and quite unspectacular.

This really should be a law of the land rather than just man code. Only because law of the land trumps man code in the real world.

Seems pointless to hold this off for so long, but those damn bureaucrats in Washington something something.

Yeah, and the law of the land also says you have the right to keep and bear arms. Unfortunately we tend to bitch up when it comes to man code or the law of the land when faced with the possibility of 20 years for something the law of the land says you can do.

If you see something, say something lol.

The 3 time all pro label means absolutely nothing....with guys backing out of the game and such.

I personally can't stand D'Brick. He's an okay pass protector,and a CRAPPY run blocker. He's no bust, but I compare him to Bryan Thomas in terms of the type of production we got out of the guy. Decent, and quite unspectacular.

Guy is signed for awhile and a postion we don;t have to worry about. Not great but certainly good enough.

compared to the rest of the league, he's really good. Who is clearly better than DBrick? Joe Thomas? Jake Long? Duane Brown? It's a really short list. He's easily a top 5 LT and he will likely be better for longer than all these guys. His career arc reminds me of Walter Jones. Coming out Pace was clearly better but he burned bright and over time Jones just got better and better, that's what DBrick's career will be like. He's gonna be one of these 15 year Jets (Maybe Bryan Thomas isn't such a bad comparison, since he's the longest tenured Jet by far).

by the way we you want to bring Gholston into this, i think it's the same... If the Jets lost VG before year 2 of his career it would be not a great loss from production standpoint. that's what I was trying to say about Kenrick Ellis,

yes it's way too early to give up hope that he can be good but the guy produced nothing in year 1. and unlike Gholston, he gets overrated. the dude has shown very little. Can he be good "stay tuned' but if they deport him to Jamaica it doesn't set back the D much or at all. I don't understand why everyone's so worried that they might lose a player that's done nothing. I guess that's my point. I might have defended Gholston but I wouldn't have been worried if the team cut a player with 0 career sacks.

You'll slurp any Jet with a pulse, and the exception you make is for D'Brickashaw ******* Ferguson?

compared to the rest of the league, he's really good. Who is clearly better than DBrick? Joe Thomas? Jake Long? Duane Brown? It's a really short list. He's easily a top 5 LT and he will likely be better for longer than all these guys. His career arc reminds me of Walter Jones. Coming out Pace was clearly better but he burned bright and over time Jones just got better and better, that's what DBrick's career will be like. He's gonna be one of these 15 year Jets (Maybe Bryan Thomas isn't such a bad comparison, since he's the longest tenured Jet by far).

by the way we you want to bring Gholston into this, i think it's the same... If the Jets lost VG before year 2 of his career it would be not a great loss from production standpoint. that's what I was trying to say about Kenrick Ellis,

yes it's way too early to give up hope that he can be good but the guy produced nothing in year 1. and unlike Gholston, he gets overrated. the dude has shown very little. Can he be good "stay tuned' but if they deport him to Jamaica it doesn't set back the D much or at all. I don't understand why everyone's so worried that they might lose a player that's done nothing. I guess that's my point. I might have defended Gholston but I wouldn't have been worried if the team cut a player with 0 career sacks.

If they deport him do we get a compensation pick? Be nice if we did.

Archived