Stephen Hill needs to have an AJ Green type of impact for the Jets to be a playoff team

Matt39

I've been going back and forth about how I feel regarding this upcoming season. Generally when the critics feel like the Jets are going to stink, I usually get the opposite feeling...and in most instances recently, it works out that way(2009 being the last)

This year I dont see it. The defense is good, but with Revis situation up in the air and the lack of a true pass rusher....IDK if they're capable of bringing this team to that 10 win mark.

Now back to the original point. If Stephen Hill doesnt get this offense off the bat, its going to be hard to watch The playoff team that closest resembles the Jets from last year was the Bengals imo. And Green, if you watched them was an obvious catalyst for that offense being respectable.If Hill can be that deep threat/playmaker we drafted him to be instantaneously...the defense is more than good enough to win games by itself.

Obviously Sanchez cant be throwing pics like he was last year either....but yeah, this is my positive spin on the upcoming season.

Wow this really puzzles me. While i really like the pick of Hill I think his success or failure this year will have little to do with how the jets do. This team will be predominantly ground and pound, We will play stingy defense and play ball control possession football. We will throw the ball deep on occasion to keep the defense honest but make no mistake tony and rex want to pound the ball down the other teams throat. Hill could have 500 yards this year and we can still have 12 wins. Its all about time of possession and positive turn over ratio. Last year must of drove rex nuts when Schotty got cute, We would make 2 first downs running the ball then "Let's fool the defense" throw throw throw and out or interception. Now coach and OC will be on the same page. This helps us as:

• Less decisions for Mark. This is s a good thing. Let’s remember he was only a soph when he came out of college.
  • More Play Action opportunities which Mark is very good at. If we are grounding and pounding defenses will be trying to cheat opening up the over the middle release. Look for Keller to be big in the offense again and Santonio to have more single coverage deep opportunities.
  • Defense spending less time on the field. This is huge. Our defense was not bad last year they were just on the field too much. If we control the ball our defense will be rested when we need them.

I do think the defense will be much better this year. I think the safeties will do a much better job and couples will demand attention from the offense freeing up other players.

My keys on who must have a great season for us to make the playoffs are 1) Green. He must be consistent and healthy. We do not need a lot of 30 yard runs but a lot of 6 yarders., 2) Greens support. Some other RB needs to step up when Green is nicked up or needs a breather., and 3) Hunter or his replacement. The OL will only be as good as its weakest link. He needs to step it up. The run game may be better suited to his skill set but we need solid consistent play from that position. He does not have to be all pro but he can't be all Schmoe or we can kiss the season goodbye.

'Just my humble opinion and I can't wait for the season to start.

If we're counting on a second round receiver who ran the triple option at Georgia Tech to be our Obi Wan Kenobi we'd probably be just as well off hoping a highly contagious strain of Ebola spreads targeting talented QB's

I mean yeah I dont see it happening...but this is how the Bengals got to the playoffs last year. Solid defense and the ability to run the playaction and have a guy that can score the ball quickly.

I dunno if he has to be AJ Green good, but for the most part I agree. He needs to be legit deep threat. Between Kerley, Holmes and Keller there are enough short and intermediate options available.

The QB showing the ability to throw the ball deep would certainly help as well.

The QB showing the ability to throw the ball deep would certainly help as well.

He kinda sort of did in 2010. He was certainly terrible in that department last year. The downgrade from Woody to Hunter probably had something to do about that. I'm sure glad that problem was shrewdly addressed this offseason.

Disagree. I think the defense will be beef moe this year. Find a way to lop off 10 turnovers and Hill can have a Scotty McKnight type of impact for all I care.

sh*t man. that sounds Ravens 2000 good.

who the heck is going to be making plays on offense?

I've been going back and forth about how I feel regarding this upcoming season. Generally when the critics feel like the Jets are going to stink, I usually get the opposite feeling...and in most instances recently, it works out that way(2009 being the last)

This year I dont see it. The defense is good, but with Revis situation up in the air and the lack of a true pass rusher....IDK if they're capable of bringing this team to that 10 win mark.

Now back to the original point. If Stephen Hill doesnt get this offense off the bat, its going to be hard to watch The playoff team that closest resembles the Jets from last year was the Bengals imo. And Green, if you watched them was an obvious catalyst for that offense being respectable.If Hill can be that deep threat/playmaker we drafted him to be instantaneously...the defense is more than good enough to win games by itself.

Obviously Sanchez cant be throwing pics like he was last year either....but yeah, this is my positive spin on the upcoming season.

stephen hill has little to do with the jets making the playoffs. it has everything to do with mark sanchez. if he plays better than last year, the jets make the playoffs. if not, they dont. its really that simple. the team as a whole, minus the qb, is a playoff calibur team. not saying sanchez cant play better(i beleive he will)just saying he needs to play better to get the jets to the playoffs

a few less sacks and qb pressures, a coupla less turnovers,a coupla more completions, and a few less drops and the jets were a 10/11 win team last year. basically, its the same team as last year so the same rules apply

I raise you Tyler Palko and Josh Mccown and say this easily could have been a 5 win team as well.

The Bengals were 9-7. The Jets were 8-8. So Stephen Hill needs to be AJ Green for the Jets to be 1 game better?

Disagree. I think the defense will be beef moe this year. Find a way to lop off 10 turnovers and Hill can have a Scotty McKnight type of impact for all I care.

Pretty much. The Jets arent about a WR. Thats just silly.

stephen hill has little to do with the jets making the playoffs. it has everything to do with mark sanchez. if he plays better than last year, the jets make the playoffs. if not, they dont. its really that simple. the team as a whole, minus the qb, is a playoff calibur team. not saying sanchez cant play better(i beleive he will)just saying he needs to play better to get the jets to the playoffs
a few less sacks and qb pressures, a coupla less turnovers,a coupla more completions, and a few less drops and the jets were a 10/11 win team last year. basically, its the same team as last year so the same rules apply

It amazes me how quickly people forget the Jets were 8-5 before Mark Sanchez imploded. That team with 10 less turnovers, makes the playoffs easily. If Mark has similar #s with less turnovers, the Jets win 10-12 games. No doubt in my mind.

Pretty much. The Jets arent about a WR. Thats just silly.

It amazes me how quickly people forget the Jets were 8-5 before Mark Sanchez imploded. That team with 10 less turnovers, makes the playoffs easily. If Mark has similar #s with less turnovers, the Jets win 10-12 games. No doubt in my mind.

two wins against Palko and Mccown.

Tough early schedule. The offense cant be completely useless to begin the season like it was last year for this team to have a shot. Hill needs to step up and be an immediate impact player in the vertical passing game. If he isnt, I see myself winning our little bet.

The Bengals were 9-7. The Jets were 8-8. So Stephen Hill needs to be AJ Green for the Jets to be 1 game better?

it was the difference in the playoffs. The Bengals werent very good last season, but they managed their turnovers, played solid D...and had a threat in the vertical passing game. The Jets turned the ball over and couldnt pass the ball further than 7 yards.

two wins against Palko and Mccown.

And the Bengals had wins vs. Tavaris Jackson, Kellen Clemens, John Skelton, Blaine Gabbert, Curtis Painter and Colt McCoy twice. 7 of their 9 wins. lmfao. Whats your point?

Tough early schedule. The offense cant be completely useless to begin the season like it was last year for this team to have a shot. Hill needs to step up and be an immediate impact player in the vertical passing game. If he isnt, I see myself winning our little bet.

The Jets offense doesnt need to be great to keep up pace with the Bills, Steelers, Dolphags and 49'ers. They just need to be efficient and let the D do the rest.

it was the difference in the playoffs. The Bengals werent very good last season, but they managed their turnovers, played solid D...and had a threat in the vertical passing game. The Jets turned the ball over and couldnt pass the ball further than 7 yards.

No. It really wasnt. The difference was the Bengals squeaked by the Rams and Cardinals in weeks 15, 16, while the Jets had to face the surging Eagles, and the future SB champs. The Bengals lost their last game of the season, if you remember, they needed other teams to lose to get in.

what exactly is an efficient offense? It sounds like a code word for bad. When you cant move the ball you generally turn it over too. That's my point with Hill. They need someone to step up and be that vertical threat. Or else its going to be a lot of punting and interceptions.

Keller and Holmes are possession guys and Green is a plodder.

what exactly is an efficient offense? It sounds like a code word for bad. When you cant move the ball you generally turn it over too. That's my point with Hill. They need someone to step up and be that vertical threat. Or else its going to be a lot of punting and interceptions.

Keller and Holmes are possession guys and Green is a plodder.

Efficient to me means, moving the chains, not turning the ball over and scoring 25+ pts. I think that will beat every team on that list with how good I expect or defense to be this season.

And the second Hill takes the field, he's immediately a vertical threat. He doesnt even have to catch a pass to take the top off. 6'4 w/ 4.3 speed...you dont think a safety will know where he is?

Efficient to me means, moving the chains, not turning the ball over and scoring 25+ pts. I think that will beat every team on that list with how good I expect or defense to be this season.

And the second Hill takes the field, he's immediately a vertical threat. He doesnt even have to catch a pass to take the top off. 6'4 w/ 4.3 speed...you dont think a safety will know where he is?

two things we couldnt do last year. What makes you think we will this year?

That's my entire point about Hill. He needs to come in and help right away. The offense last year was really bad.

Hill will be expected to block and run deep. He is already known as a good blocker. It will be difficult for him to screw up his role.

AJ Green is the No. 1 WR on the bungles. Hill does not carry that weight.

The Defense will be the primary reason for the team's success this year, but the end result rests on QB play and whether or not the offense can get back to being dominant in the run game.

two things we couldnt do last year. What makes you think we will this year?

That's my entire point about Hill. He needs to come in and help right away. The offense last year was really bad.

I dont know. For some reason I think Tony S will be good for Sanchez. The less is more approach. I think he'll turn it around. Plus, I like our WR's. Hill, Holmes, Kerley, Keller...maybe Schillens stays healthy. I think the kids got underrated talent surrounding him and if Mark could put it together you'd see it.

ESPN2 is showing Jets yearbook right now. When Sanchez was on last year, he looked really good. And then he'd just go into moron mode and look awful. He was night and day alomst every game. This offense is all about him and for some reason I think he'll turn it around. As much as I've hated on the guy, I think the he turns the corner this year.

Wow this really puzzles me. While i really like the pick of Hill I think his success or failure this year will have little to do with how the jets do. This team will be predominantly ground and pound, We will play stingy defense and play ball control possession football. We will throw the ball deep on occasion to keep the defense honest but make no mistake tony and rex want to pound the ball down the other teams throat. Hill could have 500 yards this year and we can still have 12 wins. Its all about time of possession and positive turn over ratio. Last year must of drove rex nuts when Schotty got cute, We would make 2 first downs running the ball then "Let's fool the defense" throw throw throw and out or interception. Now coach and OC will be on the same page. This helps us as:

• Less decisions for Mark. This is s a good thing. Let’s remember he was only a soph when he came out of college.
  • More Play Action opportunities which Mark is very good at. If we are grounding and pounding defenses will be trying to cheat opening up the over the middle release. Look for Keller to be big in the offense again and Santonio to have more single coverage deep opportunities.
  • Defense spending less time on the field. This is huge. Our defense was not bad last year they were just on the field too much. If we control the ball our defense will be rested when we need them.

I do think the defense will be much better this year. I think the safeties will do a much better job and couples will demand attention from the offense freeing up other players.

My keys on who must have a great season for us to make the playoffs are 1) Green. He must be consistent and healthy. We do not need a lot of 30 yard runs but a lot of 6 yarders., 2) Greens support. Some other RB needs to step up when Green is nicked up or needs a breather., and 3) Hunter or his replacement. The OL will only be as good as its weakest link. He needs to step it up. The run game may be better suited to his skill set but we need solid consistent play from that position. He does not have to be all pro but he can't be all Schmoe or we can kiss the season goodbye.

'Just my humble opinion and I can't wait for the season to start.

I think attempting to be a run-first team with the Jets current personnel is a bad choice:

• The OL, especially on the right side where most teams like to run, simply isn't good enough to consistently open holes for RBs with the limitations that the Jets RBs have.
  • Shonn Greene's limitations are numerous: lack of speed, agility, vision, ability to break tackles, etc. He isn't good enough to be a starter on many teams. He essentially gets the yards the OL gets him, but not much more very often. With the kind of OL the Jets have, they need a runner who make yards on his own and that's not Greene.
  • The Jets don't have any RB on the roster who gives them any kind of breakaway ability.
  • The Jets lack depth at RB: McKnight is nothing special. Powell has shown nothing and barely got on the field last season. Ganaway is a 6th rounder. If a team is going to go run first, then they need some decent RBs to do it.
  • The running game would be much more successful with a sound passing game that sets up the run. However, Ryan and Sparano seem to want to turn the clock back 30 years when teams "ran to set up the pass". That's unlikely to work with today's sophisticated defenses.
  • Sanchez's tendency to throw short and to rely on his check-downs rather than look downfield is going to really limit the Jets offense, especially the running game, because teams will put 8 or 9 in the box and dare Sanchez to throw downfield, gambling that he won't. Unless Sanchez changes the habits he developed last season, this will continue to be a big problem.
  • Gimmicks only work so long, and all this talk about incorporating Tebow into the offense as a run/throw threat is just smoke and mirrors. It will work on occasion, but it's NOT going to work a dozen times a game.

This is really it in a nutshell. The Jets were 8-8 last season with Sanchez personally turning the ball over 26 times. Take away ten of those turnovers, and they're in the playoffs. And just like their first two years under Rex, the defense would make them a team no one wants to face once they're there.

This years' defense looks better on paper than last years' model, too.

That said, I see no reason why Hill can't have a 40 catch, 700 yard, 5 TD season, even while the offense looks for the most part like a work in progress all year.

I dont know. For some reason I think Tony S will be good for Sanchez. The less is more approach. I think he'll turn it around. Plus, I like our WR's. Hill, Holmes, Kerley, Keller...maybe Schillens stays healthy. I think the kids got underrated talent surrounding him and if Mark could put it together you'd see it.

ESPN2 is showing Jets yearbook right now. When Sanchez was on last year, he looked really good. And then he'd just go into moron mode and look awful. He was night and day alomst every game. This offense is all about him and for some reason I think he'll turn it around. As much as I've hated on the guy, I think the he turns the corner this year.

Dude I love you, but that show made the 0-16 Lions look good.

Dude I love you, but that show made the 0-16 Lions look good.

Hahaha. Take the show out then, there was drives where Mark looked outstanding...then he'd go moron on us. Giants game for example. Did you not think we were going to absolutely dominate that game after the first drive?

The kids got the tools. He just needs to get his mind right. I'm hoping a new system will help. I'm confident. Probably because this board is so doom and gloom. I dunno. Never been this type of fan before. lol

I think attempting to be a run-first team with the Jets current personnel is a bad choice:

• The OL, especially on the right side where most teams like to run, simply isn't good enough to consistently open holes for RBs with the limitations that the Jets RBs have.
  • Shonn Greene's limitations are numerous: lack of speed, agility, vision, ability to break tackles, etc. He isn't good enough to be a starter on many teams. He essentially gets the yards the OL gets him, but not much more very often. With the kind of OL the Jets have, they need a runner who make yards on his own and that's not Greene.
  • The Jets don't have any RB on the roster who gives them any kind of breakaway ability.
  • The Jets lack depth at RB: McKnight is nothing special. Powell has shown nothing and barely got on the field last season. Ganaway is a 6th rounder. If a team is going to go run first, then they need some decent RBs to do it.
  • The running game would be much more successful with a sound passing game that sets up the run. However, Ryan and Sparano seem to want to turn the clock back 30 years when teams "ran to set up the pass". That's unlikely to work with today's sophisticated defenses.
  • Sanchez's tendency to throw short and to rely on his check-downs rather than look downfield is going to really limit the Jets offense, especially the running game, because teams will put 8 or 9 in the box and dare Sanchez to throw downfield, gambling that he won't. Unless Sanchez changes the habits he developed last season, this will continue to be a big problem.
  • Gimmicks only work so long, and all this talk about incorporating Tebow into the offense as a run/throw threat is just smoke and mirrors. It will work on occasion, but it's NOT going to work a dozen times a game.

This post sucks and you dont know what you're talking about.

Archived