State of the NY Jets

KINGDIRK

I bleed green. I would put a Jets SB title just behind marrying my wife and the birth of my daughter. So it pains me but……This team peaked when it lost back to back title games a couple years ago. Since that loss at Pittsburgh we have been a mediocre NFL team; one that does not have a franchise QB in a league that requires one (for the most part) to be successful. The Jets are similar to the 2012 Boston Red Sox; a team built to win now – that obviously couldn’t/can’t win now. So instead of dragging this out a few more years something bold has to be done this offseason.

COACH: I love that Rex changed the culture of this organization. But an intelligent unbiased football fan can see this is a team in transition; trending down. I liken Rex to Phil Jackson. Sure the Zen Master’s resume is superior but like Phil, I think Rex is the perfect coach for a team knocking on the doorstep of a title. But Rex on an average team is not an ideal fit for anyone. If I were Woody I’d tell Rex he could stay but out of respect for the guy I'd ask him if he wants to be let go.

GM: The account needs to go. Period, end of story. He drafted Mark Sanchez. It didn’t work out like he thought it would. He signed Santonio Holmes to a ridiculous contract; one that zero top organizations in the NFL would have ever considered. He overpaid a MLB in a league where smart teams don’t pay big money for linebackers (aside from your HOF type exceptions, ala Patrick Willis). He has shown zero ability to find depth in the draft. A ground and pound philosophy (without the personnel to deploy it) in a league where all the rules are skewed towards passing. WTF? Fire him

QB: During the past year or so, it has become clear that Sanchez will not be evolving in a top NFL QB. He barely looks the part of a good “game manager”. People need to stop blaming OCs, the Oline, the lack of WRs. Every other good QB in the league does not have superstars at every position. I wanted Sanchez to be awesome. I bought his jersey soon after they drafted him. But it ain't gonna happen. We all see the overthrows, the underthrows, the bad reads, the bad decisions. It is time to start planning for a future that does not include him. If this guy is back next year, it’s simply just another year of the same bull$hit and a delaying of the inevitable. Enough already. It is imperative the next GM goes out ASAP and tries to find a new QB.

OWNER: Unfortunately Woody is more a fan of making money than winning. I wish we could all fire him.

There's a leadership void on this franchise from the owner on down.

An owner who puts the priority on wins would hire an independent GM to get that job done. Tannenbaum seems to take alternating cues from the headline seeking owner (Tebow) and Rex (all defense, all the time), and the result is an overall lack of vision. If the Sanchez pick was a homerun, none of this would matter. But so far, that doesn't seem to be the case.

I think it's going to take a complete implosion this season to get the overhaul in the front office. A massive failure by not only Sanchez, but recent Tanny #1's Wilson and Coples. A lot of pressure on everyone with Revis gone, but Revis gone also gives them a built-in excuse for another 8-8 type year.

I liken Rex to Phil Jackson. Sure the Zen Master’s resume is superior but like Phil, I think Rex is the perfect coach for a team knocking on the doorstep of a title. But Rex on an average team is not an ideal fit for anyone.

You're sh*tting me with this right? Where exactly were the 2009 NY Jets oozing with talent?

If anything Rex has overachieved with the hand that he's been dealt. The issue for the Jets is that without a real NFL QB they can't run a real NFL offense and maintain consistently throughout a 16 game schedule. This leads to wild cards and road playoff games in tough stadiums.

Rex is the kind of coach that just needs to get into the post season and then he does his best game planning. The defensive game plan vs NE two seasons ago was an absolute masterpiece. NE had beaten the Jets by 40+ points a few weeks earlier and Rex completely changed his approach in the playoffs to pull off an amazing win.

it makes no sense at all to discount what Rex has accomplished.

The GM and the QB are the biggest problems; i believe you need to replace both. In doing so, you are essentially rebuilding (on the fly hopefully). I am not discounting Rex at all. I am merely suggesting both Rex and the Jets would probably both be better served parting ways IF the GM and QB are sacked for good.

It'll be nice if that's not the case, but

they were 8-8 last year and just lost their best player for the season.

I understand that but it's ridiculous that the fans are giving up on the season & calling for a complete overhaul with the team at 2-1 early in the season. I don't know of any other fanbase that would do that

I understand that but it's ridiculous that the fans are giving up on the season & calling for a complete overhaul with the team at 2-1 early in the season. I don't know of any other fanbase that would do that

plenty.. people really need to read columns and posts for other teams and see that their fans are just as ridiculous as Jets fans.

plenty.. people really need to read columns and posts for other teams and see that their fans are just as ridiculous as Jets fans.

To give up on the season already & complete overhaul? I doubt it. If it were the fish fans, they'd be talking playoffs & SB right now. That may be ridiculous in its own right but at least they're not giving up on the season.

To give up on the season already & complete overhaul? I doubt it. If it were the fish fans, they'd be talking playoffs & SB right now. That may be ridiculous in its own right but at least they're not giving up on the season.

Just because a few JN morons are saying stupid sh*t doesnt mean anything. EVERY fan base has morons spouting stupid sh*t. Jet fans are no different.

You're sh*tting me with this right? Where exactly were the 2009 NY Jets oozing with talent?

If anything Rex has overachieved with the hand that he's been dealt. The issue for the Jets is that without a real NFL QB they can't run a real NFL offense and maintain consistently throughout a 16 game schedule. This leads to wild cards and road playoff games in tough stadiums.

Rex is the kind of coach that just needs to get into the post season and then he does his best game planning. The defensive game plan vs NE two seasons ago was an absolute masterpiece. NE had beaten the Jets by 40+ points a few weeks earlier and Rex completely changed his approach in the playoffs to pull off an amazing win.

it makes no sense at all to discount what Rex has accomplished.

Your are exactly on target. Now with Revise gone for the year, the above bolded statement is exactly what our coach needs to accomplish (adjustments). I do believe he can get this done. I hope that our D-line can improve (i.e. getting to and hitting the QB often). I believe that's the key at this point in time.

In addition, Sanchez must perform better than he did the other day. I know we won and that's great, but he missed badly a a few throws. He must improve.

Jets are 2-1 in the young season and fans are already talking about a complete makeover? Absolutely pathetic. Only Jets fans

You must be a young fan (circa 15 years old).

I'm a big picture guy and a realist. I pray to God I am completely off base. I would love it.

But I stand by my post. In a couple of months will see if my assessment was was pathetic or if the Jets are.

Archived