The one thing Mangini did well...

Integrity28

Seems pretty unanimous around here that Tanny needs to go - so who's his replacement?

And if Rex is fired - who's a better option?

There are a number of GM's that could be looking for jobs this off-season. I'd think getting someone with some experience would make sense. I hate that the Jets are a trial ground for GMs and coaches with no experience in those roles.

Best case is we see a veteran GM come in here and build a roster that balances character and talent, and most importantly keeps Rex and helps him matriculate fully from DC to HC. I think Tanny has also failed at this... making Rex a better all-around head coach. Great managers empower and push forward the careers of those they hire.

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think it has to start with a GM. It would be nice to start with Parcells in the mix - even if just as a consultant. Then the Jets need to add some fire to the scouting department. Sparano as HC with Romeo or Mangini as DC would be nice, imho. The Jets need a disciplinarian after a players coach like Rex.

There are a number of GM's that could be looking for jobs this off-season. I'd think getting someone with some experience would make sense. I hate that the Jets are a trial ground for GMs and coaches with no experience in those roles.

Like who?

I think it has to start with a GM. It would be nice to start with Parcells in the mix - even if just as a consultant. Then the Jets need to add some fire to the scouting department. Sparano as HC with Romeo or Mangini as DC would be nice, imho. The Jets need a disciplinarian after a players coach like Rex.

Wow. Sparano > Rex. Really?

Like who?

Wow. Sparano > Rex. Really?

It took Coughlin a few times to get it right and he was in a similar situation in Jax that Sparano was in when he was with Miami. Rex just can't control the team and prefers flash over substance. So yes Sparano>Rex.

It took Coughlin a few times to get it right and he was in a similar situation in Jax that Sparano was in when he was with Miami. Rex just can't control the team and prefers flash over substance. So yes Sparano>Rex.

How was Coughlin in a similar situation as Sparano?

Sparano had 3 losing season in a row but he can control a team?

I'm just baffled by this. Sparano > Rex? Really? Wow, just wow.

Like who?

I've seen this list re-iterated in a few articles in reputable and not-so-reputable places lately:

Near Locks:

• Browns – Tom Heckert
  • Dolphins - Jeff Ireland

Strong Possibilities:

• Jaguars - Gene Smith
  • Chargers - A.J. Smith
  • Chiefs - Scott Pioli
  • Vikings - Rick Spielman

Running Out Of Time:

• Jets - Mike Tannenbaum
  • Panthers - Marty Hurney

Longshot Possbilities:

• Eagles - Howie Roseman
  • Saints - Mickey Loomis
  • Bills - Buddy Nix

AJ Smith and Pioli, both a-holes, but both good at their jobs. Pioli paired with a good coach like Rex, can make him better and get results, IMO

Bottom line: The Jets need to stop hiring interns and pretending that they can manage the company. Gotta get an adult in the room.

They need a GM that commands respect and holds everyone accountable. Somebody with league wide respect.

Right now, the entire organization lacks leadership.

Slight quibble-Edwards for his first season at least had a superior big arm QB in Vinny. and he tried to shoehorn him into the WCO. You can knock Mangini and Ryan fro nyriad faults. But neither was a cliche-spouting simpleton like Edwards. We had a window,but that idiot pissed it away trying to have a guy who could fling it 40 yards with a flick of his wrist run 5-yard crossing patterns. It was crimnial.

I might be wrong, but I believe Vinny was with Parcells no?

I might be wrong, but I believe Vinny was with Parcells no?

He played for both. Vinny was brought in by Parcells but was here for most of Herm's seasons as well. Vinny was still the starter until early 2002 when Chad took over, also getting starts after that for the injured Chadwick in both 2003 and 2005.

He played for both. Vinny was brought in by Parcells but was here for most of Herm's seasons as well. Vinny was still the starter until early 2002 when Chad took over, also getting starts after that for the injured Chadwick in both 2003 and 2005.

It's really, really a shame we never won with Vinny. He was the last man we had playing the QB position.

Thanks!

Listen Mangini is 18-9 with a quality NFL QB (Chad one year and Favre before his arm fell off.)

In Cleveland it was Brady Quinn and Derek Anderson..seriously

Beside Brick,Mangold,Revis, David Harris was a Mangini pick because he fit a 3/4 inside backer 6'2 255

If you haven't noticed Mr Harris makes about 70% of the tackles..If he gets hurt that defense will be epic bad

Because the big mouth who bullies reporters makes about 2 tackles a game

Rex HAND PICKED Sanchez..because they hoodwinked Mangini remember? Sanchez is on Rex

You cannot win in the NFL without a QB..The Jets have a below average one..period

I've seen this list re-iterated in a few articles in reputable and not-so-reputable places lately:

Near Locks:

• Browns – Tom Heckert
  • Dolphins - Jeff Ireland

Strong Possibilities:

• Jaguars - Gene Smith
  • Chargers - A.J. Smith
  • Chiefs - Scott Pioli
  • Vikings - Rick Spielman

Running Out Of Time:

• Jets - Mike Tannenbaum
  • Panthers - Marty Hurney

Longshot Possbilities:

• Eagles - Howie Roseman
  • Saints - Mickey Loomis
  • Bills - Buddy Nix

AJ Smith and Pioli, both a-holes, but both good at their jobs. Pioli paired with a good coach like Rex, can make him better and get results, IMO

I saw that article too. They all suck

His 3 straight losing seasons in Miami certainly proves this...

12-4 With Chad as HC > any Jets coach ever did.

Continue on with your childish insults though. Don't let a little football knowledge get in your way.

12-4 With Chad as HC > any Jets coach ever did.

Continue on with your childish insults though. Don't let a little football knowledge get in your way.

When did I insult you? Thought we were having a good football conversation. I'm shocked you feel this way and strongly disagree with you but that's about the only thing you could misinterpret as an insult.

Listen Mangini is 18-9 with a quality NFL QB (Chad one year and Favre before his arm fell off.)

In Cleveland it was Brady Quinn and Derek Anderson..seriously

Beside Brick,Mangold,Revis, David Harris was a Mangini pick because he fit a 3/4 inside backer 6'2 255

If you haven't noticed Mr Harris makes about 70% of the tackles..If he gets hurt that defense will be epic bad

Because the big mouth who bullies reporters makes about 2 tackles a game

Rex HAND PICKED Sanchez..because they hoodwinked Mangini remember? Sanchez is on Rex

You cannot win in the NFL without a QB..The Jets have a below average one..period

Yet Rex continues to win.

fwiw guys like Garrett McEntyre and Nick Bellore would be considered classic Mangini guys... if mangini were still here. Ditto Slauson, Conner, Tebow etc. the team is not all Cro's and Holmes'es (it just seems like that).

That's a good point. All it takes is one Holmes though. I wouldnt be shocked if the offense looks better this week without him.

One thing I think people gloss over is the dedication to working out. Guys coming in out of shape and less practice time can cause a problem.

Gholston was a Mangini pick and by all accounts did not like football. OTOH, guys like Gholston and Thomas Jones (who I intensely dislike as an RB) serve a great purpose. They work out like fiends. They take care of their bodies and they are physical animals that command some level of respect in the weight room. Guys like that may not be great football players, but they aren't dogs. The team seems to have gone away from that a bit - though Landry is certainly a physical specimen - and they have been getting tons of injuries. Most of that is luck, some the new rules, but some may be a lack of commitment in the weight room.

Yet Rex continues to win.

Correction. Rex won. Continues to, remains to be seen.

You are over-invested in the past. This team isn't good, and Rex has a big hand in getting them to this point. He owns the current state of the team just as much as he owns the past success you can't stop bringing up.

Correction. Rex won. Continues to, remains to be seen.

You are over-invested in the past. This team isn't good, and Rex has a big hand in getting them to this point. He owns the current state of the team just as much as he owns the past success you can't stop bringing up.

The current state of the Jets is leaders of the AFC East. Truth is teams like Detroit or New Orleans are far greater disappointments than the Jets.

Pretty much everyone said they'd be around .500 before the schedule eased up.

Stop being a coward.

The current state of the Jets is leaders of the AFC East. Truth is teams like Detroit or New Orleans are far greater disappointments than the Jets.

Pretty much everyone said they'd be around .500 before the schedule eased up.

Stop being a coward.

Keyboard. Tough guy. GFY

Seems pretty unanimous around here that Tanny needs to go - so who's his replacement?

This is what gets me, everyone wants the FO fired but hardly anyone mentions who should be hired.

This is what gets me, everyone wants the FO fired but hardly anyone mentions who should be hired.

I guarantee there are guys out there who will one day be wildly successful.

I can also gaurantee you it won't be with the Jets.

AJ Smith? The guy that hired Norv to be HC. That says enough right there. Pioli has had mixed results. Retreads often don't work and they were fired for a reason. Look at Wade Phillips as a retread HC for example.

Archived