The one thing Mangini did well...

Integrity28

I think it's funny how much Mangini is being brought up lately. Everybody was calling for his head in 2008, now we gave up a good thing? SMH. Gholston, the boar hunter, Schotty, Pete Kendall fiasco to name a few things off the top of my head.

Mangini and Rex are always going to be compared, they are coaching largely with the same core of players.

I bring up Mangini in this thread to admit that he wasn't terrible with acquiring talent, now that we've seen this franchise go 3 years without adding any players of consequence.

Doesn't make Mangini a good coach, just means his philosophy on how to build a team around tough, passionate, hard-working players had credence. Where he fell short was finding talented players with that type of commitment to football. We all know Mangini did a terrible job coaching those players... which is why I said, to his credit, Mangini probably wouldn't make a bad scout.

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Eh. In the last eight drafts, the five best picks made by the Jets were under Mangini's watch: Revis, Mangold, Brick, Harris, Pouha. The best player Rex drafted was probably, who, Kerley? Maybe Wilkerson?

And Pouha was actually Herm/Bradway, which pretty much tells you everything you need to know about where Rex is at on evals. This crap about him getting one pick a draft to screw around with doesn't even work as a joke anymore.

Doesn't make Mangini a good coach, just means his philosophy on how to build a team around tough, passionate, hard-working players had credence.

What credence? It didnt work here and it didnt work in Cleveland. He's an analyst on ESPN. His one season with a winning record shakes its head at you.

What credence? It didnt work here and it didnt work in Cleveland. He's an analyst on ESPN. His one season with a winning record shakes its head at you.

Eric Mangini's record as a HC - 33-47

Rex Ryan's record as a HC - 30-22

WTF is wrong with you people?

I said his philosophy on how to build a team, by placing a premium on guys that work hard, give a sh*t, love football, and don't punk out at the first site of adversity, had credence. He was just not good at coaching, that is a given.

You are contesting my compliments of his philosophy on player character being important, with bullet points about his coaching failures which NOBODY was a bigger critic of other than me.

How is the meaning of every single word in the English language this lost on you? Seriously?

I think that I'd have no choice other than to punch you in the face in real life, just to set the tone for how often I'd allow you to open your cock-swallowing mouth around me. ****ing idiot.

It did work here. It didn't work in Cleveland because he had control of the program for like nine months. I'm glad he's on ESPN because basically every other analyst is completely terrible and Mangini talks about actual stuff instead of the standard pseudostrategy and empty jargon.

I said his philosophy on how to build a team, by placing a premium on guys that work hard, give a sh*t, love football, and don't punk out at the first site of adversity, had credence. He was just not good at coaching, that is a given.

You are contesting my compliments of his philosophy on player character being important, with bullet points about his coaching failures which NOBODY was a bigger critic of other than me.

How is the meaning of every single word in the English language this lost on you? Seriously?

I think that I'd have no choice other than to punch you in the face in real life, just to set the tone for how often I'd allow you to open your cock-swallowing mouth around me. ****ing idiot.

Relax.

80s_frankie_says_relax_sign_2.jpg

That is standard protocol for how to speak to JIF from the mafia forum. No need to relax... unless I'm doing it while picking chunks of JIF's brain out from between my knuckles.

This isnt the Mafia forum. And if thats the way you dinks talk to each other in there I will ask Max to remove that forum from the board. We should be building each other up, not bullying and tearing each other down.

Power-NBZ.jpg

You take a kid who has learned a little more about what is expected from an individual who has something to lose, something to gain, the meaning of the word "earned" , the meaning of the words "self centered" , etc.. and they will do far better with fame, game , and fortune than a kid who has never been to the beach, never driven a new car, or even ridden in one for that matter..

2 Words for you...CURTIS MARTIN

( he didn't even like football remember?)

My bad. His philosophy of building high character players who love Football but arent very good and typically lose is completely lost on me. He's great at creating teams that dont win. Sweet. No wonder why everyone is lining up to have Eric Mangini rebuild their team.

It did work here. It didn't work in Cleveland because he had control of the program for like nine months. I'm glad he's on ESPN because basically every other analyst is completely terrible and Mangini talks about actual stuff instead of the standard pseudostrategy and empty jargon.

It worked here? Weird. I must have forgot all the incredible success that he brought to the franchise.

The irony of this all is that Rex, the superior coach of the 2, did his best with a roster full of Mangini's guys. As soon as Rex got his fingerprints on the roster, the team went down the tubes.

The irony of this all is that Eric, the superior franchise builder of the 2, did his best work with a roster full of Herm's guys. As soon as Mangini got his fingerprints on the rooster, the team went down the tubes.

My bad. His philosophy of building high character players who love Football but arent very good and typically lose is completely lost on me. He's great at creating teams that dont win. Sweet. No wonder why everyone is lining up to have Eric Mangini rebuild their team.

Mangini had the right philosophy, but had almost as a bad a nose for talent as Rex. That said, Mangini was mildly more successful at getting guys that can win, but it took a good coach in Rex to do the winning.

I coudn't have been more clear in saying this already in the thread, not sure what point you think you are arguing here... but it is, yet again, an exhibition of your own stupidity.

The irony of this all is that Eric, the superior franchise builder of the 2, did his best work with a roster full of Herm's guys. As soon as Mangini got his fingerprints on the rooster, the team went down the tubes.

Simpleton.

I have very clearly de-couple the comparison of Mangini to Rex as coaches. On that front, Rex wins, hands down.

Not sure why you are trying to push an "Ape said Mangini is a better coach than Rex" debate. I said no such thing, not even close. I was critical of Mangini THE COACH long before most of you dooshbags. I hated him year one, during the playoffs when I was calling it all a mirage perpetuated by Pennington willing the team to another playoff letdown. Mangini sucked.

That said, the philosophy, the one he brought with him from New England and the one shared by many of the great organizations in this game... is the right one. Build your team around high-character players. Like I said earlier, nobody in the Jets braintrust now or under Mangini knows where the sweet spot between character and talent are, but we need a GM that get this and can put it into action.

This isn't a debate of coaching prowess between Rex and Mangini. We need a GM that puts the onus on himself and the scouting dept to find talented, high-character football players... seems simple, but in my lifetime the Jets have failed at this miserably. Tanny should not be hiring first-time coaches and then letting them take the lead on the personnel responsibilities that should belong to the GM. This approach sucked under Mangini and it sucks more under Rex.

If you want though, you can post more arguments to this that highlight your complete inability to get the point of what I'm discussing. Please include more win-loss records too... In about 11 weeks you may not want to post those again, so get it out of your system now.

He brought in guys that LOVED football.

Over the past couple weeks I've been trying to express my anger with what I view as the fundamental problem with this team and franchise, it's achilles heel if you will. I've talked about them being "soft" but I've not really put my finger on what I even meant by that. To clarify that thought, I think I've come to a more concise and acceptable realization.

This franchise routinely rosters players that - while talented - unselfishness, lack commitment, mental toughness and work ethic. This is not to imply that all of the Jets don't possess these qualities, but enough of them don't where it has become a detriment and the lack of really giving a sh*t has become pervasive.

We are one of those teams that has guys that do just enough, flashes of brilliance over-shadowed by gutless and/or boneheaded football. They don't really go above and beyond. When the going gets tough, they curl up in a ball. How many Jets teams in the past decade have we seen quit on their coach now? Mangini's last year. Rex's 3rd season. I feel like Herm's final year too. That's not coincidence... it's more like an epidemic.

As much as I disliked Mangini as our coach, he did have his priorities right in this regard.

Look at the great franchises in this league, they've found a way to marry together commitment with talent. The systematic results don't lie. The Jets have historically been enticed by measurables, not heart. Mangini went all in on heart, and along the way nabbed some talent too. Since Rex has been here, the focus has been predominantly placed on selfish, flashy players. Look at where that has gotten us.

Flame away... lol.

Do you want to know what the common thread has been since Herm, Mangini and Rex? (and I am only going back to Herm mind you).

The complete lack of a top tier QB! Period.

Since Herm, Mangini and Rex...our overall teams have been good enough to win. The difference of why we do not have a super bowl win or apperance at the very least is because of that "QB"....Each one of these guys had/have some upside along with the downsides.

That 2008 team in my opinion with Favre would have been very tough in the playoffs if he would have been healthy but we rolled the dice on a 40 year old QB, he got us to 8-3, got injured and that was all she wrote.

If we are in the process of getting embarrassed again on MNF (you will know that feeling), Sanchez MUST get pulled in favor of Tebow.

Regardless of what happens this year we need a Top Tier QB, either through trade/draft or whatever.

Kenyon Coleman. Brett Ratliff. Abram Elam. Jason Trusnik. Eric Barton. Hank Poteat. CJ Mosley. Chansi Stuckey. Those guys are responsible for that incredible turnaround Mangini performed in Cleveland and we let them slip away for NOTHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A couple of those guys were actually ok. Barton was a damn solid acquisition for us but he was here before Mangini.

Do you want to know what the common thread has been since Herm, Mangini and Rex? (and I am only going back to Herm mind you).

Since Herm, Mangini and Rex...our overall teams have been good enough to win. The difference of why we do not have a super bowl win or apperance at the very least is because of that "QB"....Each one of these guys had/have some upside along with the downsides.

That 2008 team in my opinion with Favre would have been very tough in the playoffs if he would have been healthy but we rolled the dice on a 40 year old QB, he got us to 8-3, got injured and that was all she wrote.

If we are in the process of getting embarrassed again on MNF (you will know that feeling), Sanchez MUST get pulled in favor of Tebow.

Regardless of what happens this year we need a Top Tier QB, either through trade/draft or whatever.

Slight quibble-Edwards for his first season at least had a superior big arm QB in Vinny. and he tried to shoehorn him into the WCO. You can knock Mangini and Ryan fro nyriad faults. But neither was a cliche-spouting simpleton like Edwards. We had a window,but that idiot pissed it away trying to have a guy who could fling it 40 yards with a flick of his wrist run 5-yard crossing patterns. It was crimnial.

He brought in guys that LOVED football.

Over the past couple weeks I've been trying to express my anger with what I view as the fundamental problem with this team and franchise, it's achilles heel if you will. I've talked about them being "soft" but I've not really put my finger on what I even meant by that. To clarify that thought, I think I've come to a more concise and acceptable realization.

This franchise routinely rosters players that - while talented - unselfishness, lack commitment, mental toughness and work ethic. This is not to imply that all of the Jets don't possess these qualities, but enough of them don't where it has become a detriment and the lack of really giving a sh*t has become pervasive.

We are one of those teams that has guys that do just enough, flashes of brilliance over-shadowed by gutless and/or boneheaded football. They don't really go above and beyond. When the going gets tough, they curl up in a ball. How many Jets teams in the past decade have we seen quit on their coach now? Mangini's last year. Rex's 3rd season. I feel like Herm's final year too. That's not coincidence... it's more like an epidemic.

As much as I disliked Mangini as our coach, he did have his priorities right in this regard.

Look at the great franchises in this league, they've found a way to marry together commitment with talent. The systematic results don't lie. The Jets have historically been enticed by measurables, not heart. Mangini went all in on heart, and along the way nabbed some talent too. Since Rex has been here, the focus has been predominantly placed on selfish, flashy players. Look at where that has gotten us.

Flame away... lol.

I agree, but his team did lay down in 08'

Mangini could build a team, but an average head coach. Rex can coach at a higher level, but cannot build a team NEARLY as well.

Rex is MUCH more preferable. It's not really the HC's job to build the team. He doesn't have the luxury of watching college football games every Saturday. He's paid to coach the talent he has, with only minimal say in who we bring in.

Fact is, Rex gets unfairly criticized because of his "big mouth". The fact that he hasn't had a losing season yet and has 4 playoff wins with a dogsh*t QB and pretty awful drafts (at least in 2009 and 2010; jury's still out on the last 2 classes but early signs haven't been encouraging) makes him one of the best HC's in the league. Imagine what he'd do with Pittsburgh's front office behind him? Or Green Bay's?

Rex isn't a veteran head coach, he's quite young. Among guys who are in their first HC job, I'd maybe only put the two Harbaughs ahead of him right now.

We shouldn't be discussing him getting fired but we are.

Mangini could build a team, but an average head coach. Rex can coach at a higher level, but cannot build a team NEARLY as well.

Need a balance.

Bottom line: The Jets need to stop hiring interns and pretending that they can manage the company. Gotta get an adult in the room.

Rex is MUCH more preferable. It's not really the HC's job to build the team. He doesn't have the luxury of watching college football games every Saturday. He's paid to coach the talent he has, with only minimal say in who we bring in.

Fact is, Rex gets unfairly criticized because of his "big mouth". The fact that he hasn't had a losing season yet and has 4 playoff wins with a dogsh*t QB and pretty awful drafts (at least in 2009 and 2010; jury's still out on the last 2 classes but early signs haven't been encouraging) makes him one of the best HC's in the league. Imagine what he'd do with Pittsburgh's front office behind him? Or Green Bay's?

Rex isn't a veteran head coach, he's quite young. Among guys who are in their first HC job, I'd maybe only put the two Harbaughs ahead of him right now.

We shouldn't be discussing him getting fired but we are.

I agree with the bold, and think that is the most positive realization for the fan base in the past season and a quarter. We need a football guy as GM.

That said, I do not think Rex is unfairly criticized because of his big mouth. I think he is fairly criticized for only concerning himself with one side of the ball AND for the lack of discipline that has resulted in the past season and a quarter. I think people get tired of listening to his big mouth, but to be fair the criticism he takes is relative to his job performance in certain areas. Jets fans can read the tea leaves, they know when a coach has no handle on the locker room OR the on-field discipline, that it's not a good sign. That's what has gone on between last year and this, and that is what fans are reacting too.

The fact he has a big mouth just means you'll get more "shut your mouth AND do your job" comments about him, rather than just "do your job" comments.

Him having a big mouth is about as irrelevant a defense of him you could have surfaced though. He's got no handle on the team, that's a problem... and you can kiss this wins-losses argument goodbye if you feel its "fine" that he just keeps-on-keeping-on. The latter part of his tenure with the Jets will prove to be the real Rex if there isn't a big change made at the GM level and an all-out purge of the roster that is overseen by someone OTHER than Rex.

Bottom line: The Jets need to stop hiring interns and pretending that they can manage the company. Gotta get an adult in the room.

I agree, try adult GM with Rex and Sanchez.

When that fails, try adult GM, with adult coach, and Sanchez.

When that fails, try to draft another QB.

LEAVE NO STONE UNTURNED!!!

Archived