Official 2012-2013 New York Knicks Thread

RutgersJetFan

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Which makes us all sad, really.

Clearly, infinite stupidity far outweighs the delta in shooting ability.

JR's been horribly inefficient in "clutch" situations this year (4Q, under 5 minutes, no team ahead by > 5 pts).  He's settling for 88% jump shots and has a poor.324 eFG% in those situations (was at 94% and .469 eFG% in same spots last year).  

The worst thing he does, which is clearly evident in watching the games and is backed up by statistics, are the situations where he tries to ISO, runs down the shot clock, and chucks up a terrible 19-footer.  31% of his "clutch" attempts come with 4 seconds or less left on the shot clock and his eFG % is an absolutely dismal .077.  Of his few makes in those spots, not one of them has been assisted.  In contrast, clutch attempts after 16-20 seconds have ticked off on the shot clock make up 21% of his total, with an eFG% of .778, half of which come off assists.

JR's been horribly inefficient in "clutch" situations this year (4Q, under 5 minutes, no team ahead by > 5 pts).  He's settling for 88% jump shots and has a poor.324 eFG% in those situations (was at 94% and .469 eFG% in same spots last year).  

The worst thing he does, which is clearly evident in watching the games and is backed up by statistics, are the situations where he tries to ISO, runs down the shot clock, and chucks up a terrible 19-footer.  31% of his "clutch" attempts come with 4 seconds or less left on the shot clock and his eFG % is an absolutely dismal .077.  Of his few makes in those spots, not one of them has been assisted.  In contrast, clutch attempts after 16-20 seconds have ticked off on the shot clock make up 21% of his total, with an eFG% of .778, half of which come off assists.

Id imagine this Knicks are aware of this information. How does a guy on a minimum contract, play 30+ minutes a game and have the green light to play like a total moron? Who's allowing this?

Id imagine this Knicks are aware of this information. How does a guy on a minimum contract, play 30+ minutes a game and have the green light to play like a total moron? Who's allowing this?

That's a question for Mike Smith, who is listed as the Knicks "Director, Analytics and Pro Scout".  Though most NBA teams have someone on their payroll with some analytics title attached, I'm not sure how much of their findings makes it down to the coaching staff.  

Certainly Houston has gone out of their way to alter their gameplan based on efficiencies this year, by almost exclusively shooting from either the restricted area, beyond the arc, or from the charity stripe.  They average, by far, the least attempts per game from 10-23 feet, are 3rd in attempts at the rim, and 2nd from downtown (barely behind the Knicks).

That's a question for Mike Smith, who is listed as the Knicks "Director, Analytics and Pro Scout".  Though most NBA teams have someone on their payroll with some analytics title attached, I'm not sure how much of their findings makes it down to the coaching staff.  

Certainly Houston has gone out of their way to alter their gameplan based on efficiencies this year, by almost exclusively shooting from either the restricted area, beyond the arc, or from the charity stripe.  They average, by far, the least attempts per game from 10-23 feet, are 3rd in attempts at the rim, and 2nd from downtown (barely behind the Knicks).

I assume the Hawks dont have a Mike Smith.

Interesting info on Houston though...

I assume the Hawks dont have a Mike Smith.

Interesting info on Houston though...

Funny enough, Atlanta is one of the few teams that doesn't have someone with an analytics/statistics title at this point.  Maybe they're worried that tracking Josh Smith's shot charts would give the poor guy a coronary.

As for Houston, Morey is a young stat-head, so it makes sense.  Despite getting Harden, they're not a particularly talented team, so offensive efficiency is their only hope of competing in the West until they can add a 2nd star.  Their problem is that they're not a good defensive team and are downright awful when Asik isn't on the floor.

It's just depressing.  I can't understand why he does the ISO/dribble down the clock thing except for the fact that he has a Forest Gump BBIQ

It's just depressing.  I can't understand why he does the ISO/dribble down the clock thing except for the fact that he has a Forest Gump BBIQ

My theory is that he gets high on Hunter Thompson-esque cocktails of drugs before most games.

I cant imagine the play call was give it to JR and get out of the way. Woodson should have known better though.

But I hope Carmelo was watching tonight. Its time to stop bowing down to his game. I wont hold my breathe.

I cannot comprehend how you come out of a timeout with 8 seconds to play, down by one, and that's the shot you take to try to beat one of the best teams in the (league without
your best player).  I'd honestly be less pissed had they not been able to inbound the ball and got called for 5 seconds in that spot.

Either Woodson completely failed his team tonight, or JR needs to be held accountable.  Where is Mike Smith?! 

I cannot comprehend how you come out of a timeout with 8 seconds to play, down by one, and that's the shot you take to try to beat one of the best teams in the (league without

your best player). I'd honestly be less pissed had they not been able to inbound the ball and got called for 5 seconds in that spot.

Either Woodson completely failed his team tonight, or JR needs to be held accountable. Where is Mike Smith?!

Woodson told Smith to take it to the bucket. How naive of him honestly thinking Smith wouldn't settle for the hero ball.

Woodson unfortunately is a figure head and really has no ability to control JR. Dolan loves the kid. He'll we gae his scrub brother a job.

I feel bad for Woody bc he's ultimately going to take the fall.

Yeah, JR shouldve taken it to the hole, but he has a Forest Gump BBIQ and screwed it up.

Trusting JR is Woodson's fault.

The Knicks have lost to the Heat and Thunder because JR was 3/18 (sound familiar?) combined in both games in the 4th quarter.

That was a fun one to watch. You could tell Utah was just exhausted, though. The best part was when Novak faked the three and then drove to the basket during the fourth quarter. Chandler and the rest of the bench looked like they just saw Bigfoot. Hilarious. K-Mart did a pretty good job too.

This road trip is going to suck, but four of the five are nationally televised so I'll get to see them.

201303091947712497897-p2.jpg

Denver doesnt seem to miss Melo just sayin.

Knicks needed him more than Denver. Just sayin.

Oh, and Denver hasnt won a first round playoff series without Melo either. So it cant be all his fault like you say it is.

Wow. I'm glad that one was on late and I didn't get to watch it. Not a great way to start out the road trip. Good defense or not, 63 points means you're not basketballing very well.

Copeland: team-high 15 points. Beast mode!

large_mediaday_0008_Copeland.jpg

If the rumors are true, and Melo plays tonight and sits out the rest of the road trip....I think SMC will even see the light.

The guy needs his knee drained, makes up a story how he's afraid of needles(when he has 10000 tattoos) and now rumors are circulating the only reason he hasnt is because of the Denver homecoming. Lets see how this plays out.

If the rumors are true, and Melo plays tonight and sits out the rest of the road trip....I think SMC will even see the light.

The guy needs his knee drained, makes up a story how he's afraid of needles(when he has 10000 tattoos) and now rumors are circulating the only reason he hasnt is because of the Denver homecoming. Lets see how this plays out.

I read that his morning and almost spit my coffee out.  He's afraid of needles.  lulza

See the light that you're a wackjob?  I already know that. :D

Archived