Sanchez - 2 ideas

JPrzech

1. Get on the phone with Seattle. Offer to send Sanchez back to his college coach (who correctly stated he wasn't ready for the NFL) and offer them a straight up deal for Matt Flynn. Flynn has a 3 year $19 million contract, $10 million guaranteed. The money isn't equal, but close. The Jets could eat some of Sanchez's money and give another young guy, who showed real promise in limited playing time (anybody see that Lions/Packers game last year?), a shot to compete with whatever veteran jobber they bring in.

2. Call Arizona. Get the best draft pick you can, a 3rd rounder at best, for Sanchez. Or, what the hell, trade him for Skelton and see if the Fordham magic translates better to New York. (Kidding about that last part.)

1. Get on the phone with Seattle. Offer to send Sanchez back to his college coach (who correctly stated he wasn't ready for the NFL) and offer them a straight up deal for Matt Flynn. Flynn has a 3 year $19 million contract, $10 million guaranteed. The money isn't equal, but close. The Jets could eat some of Sanchez's money and give another young guy, who showed real promise in limited playing time (anybody see that Lions/Packers game last year?), a shot to compete with whatever veteran jobber they bring in.

2. Call Arizona. Get the best draft pick you can, a 3rd rounder at best, for Sanchez. Or, what the hell, trade him for Skelton and see if the Fordham magic translates better to New York. (Kidding about that last part.)

For Pete Carrol to except scenario #1 you would have to throw in a 3rd rounder at minimum, probably a 2nd, also I don't think the math works salary cap wise, if Seattle didn't front load Flynn's contract the Jets would have to take on his salary cap hit, PLUS they would have to take the cap hit for money already paid to Sanchez even thou we traded him, so between adding Flynn's contract to the cap PLUS Sanchez's dead cap hit, this really isn't realistic. I could be wrong on these numbers, but I am pretty sure the Jets take a nasty dead cap hit for trading Sanchez this year, not as bad as cutting him, but still pretty bad.

Give us a 3rd round pick for Sanchez? LOL. We would have to offer Arizona OUR 3rd round draft pick to get them to take over Sanchez's contract. And even then they'd laugh at how horribly they'd be getting screwed in the deal and turn us down. No one wants to give up something for the "privilege" of paying Sanchez a guaranteed $8.25M in 2013 followed by 3 (non-guaranteed) 8-figure seasons through 2016.

did tanny take over in arizona as gm?

Neither scenario is likely, but rathe than razzing you I'll give you props for acknowledging the fact that Sanchez should never start another football game for us, and that he is replaceable by complete trash.

In his defense if Mike T had posted his plans to address the QB situation last year he would have been laughed out of here faster then EDV. Given a time machine I don't think you could go back a year, with full hindsight and dream up something worse.

I don't think the Arizona one is unrealistic. It may be a 4th or 5th you get though. You'll have to eat some salary too

You really think Arizona would surrender a draft pick for one season of Mark Sanchez at guaranteed (even if somewhat reasonable) money for a young backup with 4 years of starter experience, and after that he's paid like a star again?

Teams do dumb things all the time, and I'd welcome this move with open arms, but I don't see that happening.

You really think Arizona would surrender a draft pick for one season of Mark Sanchez at guaranteed (even if somewhat reasonable) money for a young backup with 4 years of starter experience, and after that he's paid like a star again?

Teams do dumb things all the time, and I'd welcome this move with open arms, but I don't see that happening.

Yes. I don't think it would be a dumb move from Arizona. They could renegotiate him to extend him with non guaranteed coin. Compared to what they have, Sanchez is better. He can come in for 1 year (they are going to cut kolb abd the others are awful) while the train up a geno smith or someone like that.

I honestly think Sanchez can be productive and for the right price, a team would take a shot. Jets may need to pay down some of his 8.25 guarantee.

Sanchez needs to be in a very structured offense which defines the reads clearly abd have a qb savvy coach. We have neither.

The new GM will have to get creative. There is a way to trade Sanchez and make it financially feasible for his new team. As to compenation, the Jets would be looking at a conditional late round pick at best.

Sanchez won't be back simply because of salary. There are ways to get rid of anybody in the NFL if a team wants.

The new GM will have to get creative. There is a way to trade Sanchez and make it financially feasible for his new team. As to compenation, the Jets would be looking at a conditional late round pick at best.

Sanchez won't be back simply because of salary. There are ways to get rid of anybody in the NFL if a team wants.

It won't be easy, but this is the best case scenario. Jets'll have to eat at least $5M of that guaranteed money. If they can get a low pick in April's draft, and another conditional pick in 2014, that would be a good deal for the Jets just to get him off the roster and off the payroll in 2014.

As much as we all know Sanchez sucks, don't be surprised if someone's willing to take a chance on him. He is a former #5 overall pick, and the Jets did do maybe the worst job in history attempting to develop him. The NFL coaching fraternity is filled with egos. There's someone out there who thinks he can fix him. If all it costs them is a 6th rounder up front and $3M in salary, he could be worth it to someone.

no i think is 8 if we cut him 17 if he is on the roster when the seson starts includes bonus and other crap

No.

http://www.nyjetscap...arksanchez.html

His salary for the year should be $8.75 (with his workout bonus that he only sees if he's still on the team). If we cut him, we save that $0.5M but then all the other bonus money we've paid to him from his rookie contract and from his 2012 extension (another $2.5M just for 2013 from his rookie contract that would have expired after 2013 without his extension, plus $1.6M per year for 2013-2016, or the remaining $6.4M of the $8M bonus given to him on his 2012 extension; the first $1.6M of which went towards the '12 cap) accelerates to 2013 instead of being spread over the next few years. Total bonus money paid to Sanchez that hasn't hit any prior salary caps yet = $2.5M + $6.4M = $8.9M.

Keep him = $12.85M. Why? $8.75M + amortized balance of previously-paid bonus money ($2.5M + $1.6M).

Cut him = $17.15M. Why? $8.25M + all of the balance of that previously-paid bonus money ($2.5M + $6.4M).

The only exception is I think we can also make him a post-June1 cut. This would make only his amortized bonus money (and guaranteed salary) count this year and the rest of the amortized bonus accelerates to 2014. Then he would count $12.35M in 2013 and $4.8M in 2014.

Keeping Sanchez for 1 more year, by the way, doesn't end his cap hits after this year. What if we keep him now but cut him before 2014?

Keep for 2013: $12.85M (from above)

Cut for 2014: $4.8M. Why? Any salaries and new bonus monies for 2014 and beyond are no longer guaranteed, and we will have finished paying off any bonuses from his rookie contract, but we still have to pay the piper for the remainder of the $8M signing bonus for his 2012 extension that would have been divided over 5 years = $1.6M/year. The first two years of that amortized amount was already paid in 2012 and 2013. Remaining balance = $4.8M)

Making him a post-June1 cut in this scenario makes him count $12.85M in '13, $1.6M in '14, and $3.2M in '15.

Check out Jason's awesome site for the individual years for the broken down, year-to-year cap numbers. He lays it out perfectly.

Unless someone else absorbs some of it by assuming part of his 2013 base salary, $17.15M must come off Jets salary caps after 2012 no matter what. The only amounts in question, that can be eliminated outright, are any of his base salary for 2013 another team agrees to absorb, any future bonuses for 2013 (just the $500K workout bonus), and any salaries/bonuses for 2014 and beyond. But Sanchez must be paid no less than $8.25M in 2013, and $8.9M of past bonus money paid to him must come off future NY Jets caps.

This abortion of a contract extension for the league's worst starting QB is probably the #1 reason Tannenbaum got fired.

Cut him and get him off the books. Next year is a wash anyway. Might as well cut as much dead weight as possible.

Anyone know if we will get any supplemental draft picks cutting him?

We would not. They only come for losing free agents. And even that is only if we don't acquire enough incoming free agents (whose contracts expired from their last team) 1-for-1 that would cancel out a compensatory pick.

Compensatory picks gained or lost only result from players whose contracts ran to the end, weren't cut, and weren't re-signed by their old team.

Archived