When Revis is gone, what options will we have?

Integrity28

I don't know about the rest of you, but while sifting through Revis rumors, I've also tried to keep an eye on the growing list of defensive backs being cut around the league as potential replacements.

I found this, it seems as up-to-date as my perception... there's a number of guys on this list I would love to see us add on a palatable contract to replace Revis after he is inevitably traded. 

There is A LOT of talent on this list. Could you imagine we trade Revis for multiple high picks, and sign a veteran CB to a contract that doesn't hamstring our whole roster going forward? Man that would be sweet... 

Aqib Talib
Brent Grimes
Sean Smith
Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie
Chris Houston
Cary Williams
Derek Cox
E.J. Biggers
Mike Jenkins
Bradley Fletcher
Keenan Lewis 
Dunta Robinson
Sheldon Brown
Quentin Jammer
Brice McCain
Leodis McKelvin
Terence Newman
Kyle Arrington
Tracy Porter
Antoine Cason
Rashean Mathis
Jacob Lacey
Pacman Jones
Jerraud Powers
Joselio Hanson
Darius Butler
Captain Munnerlyn 
Terrence McGee
Stanford Routt
Marcus Trufant
Leigh Bodden
Chris Owens
Shawntae Spencer
Kelvin Hayden
William Middleton
Pat Lee 
Cedric Griffin
Greg Toler
D.J. Moore 
William Gay (Signed a three-year, $4.5M deal with PIT)
Michael Adams
Drayton Florence
Ryan Mouton 
Zackary Bowman
Michael Coe
Alan Ball
Will Allen
Drew Coleman
Alphonso Smith
Chris Carr 
Chris Johnson

Probably let Kyle Wilson start to see just how much of a bust he really is, then hope Idzik can draft a CB in the later rounds who emerges to take over next year.

I'd prefer signing someone like Rashean Mathis, or Brent Grimes. Skills, veteran leadership, and low cost. PLUS what you say about Izzzzzdik drafting moar.

Probably let Kyle Wilson start to see just how much of a bust he really is, then hope Idzik can draft a CB in the later rounds who emerges to take over next year.

Actually Wilson got his shot as a starter most of last season.  For sure he is not the next Revis, but he didn't play badly either.  if the Jets load up on Pass rushing LB'er in this draft he will do OK

You mean the Wilson who was #2 CB on the 2nd best pass D in the league? That bust?

Anywho, that's a deep list. Should be easy to find an adequate #2 if they think Wilson is a bust and want to use him primarily as the nickleback. Besides, the Jets have Rex Ryan and thats all the matters. He made Revis.

Yes. Kyle Wilson was a top-four corner in the league.

Who said he was?  Is that criteria for a bust?  A late 1st round pick needs to be a top 4 corner?

I'm just having a hard time calling a player a bust who was the #2 corner on the 2nd best pass D in the league.  

Asomugha is reportedly on the verge of being released-Problem solved

+1

Later today according to what I read. 

Rex Ryan went to bat for the kid, he's a pro-bowl cornerback who has played horribly the last two seasons; he'll want to prove to the league that he really is a legit corner, and Ryan's defense will give him the best opportunity to do that.  Especially if he goes from being the head honcho to CB2.  Let him "compete" with Kyle Wilson to cover teams' second best WR, and see what happens. 

Interesting concept. Either a player is an All Pro, or an abject bust.

JiF said he was the second corner on the second best pass defense, which I calculated to mean the fourth best in the league.

The Jets pass defense being the "second best" is a myth. Nobody had to run up passing numbers because the Jets never had a lead. Great defenses give up passing yards in the fourth quarter during garbage time when their opponent is in catch-up mode, which the Jets--though garbage--never enjoyed. It's a fugazi stat and Wilson was easily abused by any QB-WR combo with a collective pulse.

this thread is underrating how good Revis is, and overrating his possible replacements. half these guys can't even cover man to man. they aren't signing Aqib talib a zone cover 2 corner for rex D. Aso is old and done. Pacman Jones is basically a PR/KR at this point. 

btw Revis is making "only" 6.5 Mil this year and trading him bites the cap another 3 mil this year. So he's cheaper than alot of these names too. For 2013 at least.

this thread is underrating how good Revis is, and overrating his possible replacements. half these guys can't even cover man to man. they aren't signing Aqib talib a zone cover 2 corner for rex D. Aso is old and done. Pacman Jones is basically a PR/KR at this point.

btw Revis is making "only" 6.5 Mil this year and trading him bites the cap another 3 mil this year. So he's cheaper than alot of these names too. For 2013 at least.

YEP.

If they have to do something as stupid as trading Revis then they will be playing Cromartie and Wilson as the two outside CBs.

Anyways, they should trade Cromartie. His walue is at an all time high, perfect time to say good bye.

We would probably be OK without signing a FA I think. We managed without Revis the majority of last season so it's hard for me to say that it would be an immediate need. But if we are trading him (which it sounds like we are) then I would hope that we pick up another CB in the draft to start developing.

+1

You people read that list and see options?  I cringe. Talib can cover, but he'll probably be arrested before camp starts and isn't exactly looking for a short number himself. WIll Allen? 

JiF said he was the second corner on the second best pass defense, which I calculated to mean the fourth best in the league.

The Jets pass defense being the "second best" is a myth. Nobody had to run up passing numbers because the Jets never had a lead. Great defenses give up passing yards in the fourth quarter during garbage time when their opponent is in catch-up mode, which the Jets--though garbage--never enjoyed. It's a fugazi stat and Wilson was easily abused by any QB-WR combo with a collective pulse.

Haha. The Jets have been the best passing defense in the league since Rex arrived.

That would explain Rex then. I remember him making googly eyes at the Snoopy Met Life trophy like it was a pair of feet

Swing and miss.  Good try though.

I guess it would be better if the Jets had the worst pass D in the league under Rex?  Right?  heh

Swing and miss.  Good try though.

I guess it would be better if the Jets had the worst pass D in the league under Rex?  Right?  heh

Teams with a horrible offense, typically do not have a statistically bad pass defense. They are not exposed as much as teams involved in shootouts. 

Teams with a horrible offense, typically do not have a statistically bad pass defense. They are not exposed as much as teams involved in shootouts. 

What about middle of the pack offense or top rushing teams?  Where do they apply in this genius notion? 

What about middle of the pack offense or top rushing teams?  Where do they apply in this genius notion? 

By offense, I mean teams that actually put points on the board. These yardage statistics are very weighted.

But, if you want to uses them, would you say that the Jets faced many potent passing offenses last year?

By offense, I mean teams that actually put points on the board. These yardage statistics are very weighted.

But, if you want to uses them, would you say that the Jets faced many potent passing offenses last year?

As many as the next team.

The Jets were 13th in the league in scoring 2 years straight, not great, middle of the pack.  Still had one of the best pass D's in the league.  Rex Ryan is damn good.

As many as the next team.

The Jets were 13th in the league in scoring 2 years straight, not great, middle of the pack.  Still had one of the best pass D's in the league.  Rex Ryan is damn good.

6 of the top 10 pass defenses did not make the playoffs last year. A lot of "damn good" football coaches (by your measurement) not going to postseason.

Is it just me or would it make sense that the JETS to sign a CB before they send Revis out on his way.

There is no way Revis should be traded till the JETS get proper compensation in form of picks and JETS have a POA on what hey will do next. If the plan is to sign a FA than not sure whether we can get a decent FA for the 6.5 mill that Revis is going to be paid this season. And if Revis holds out than it is to the JETS advantage.

IMO if the JETS are not getting proper compensation they should just stick with Revis for this season and see where they are cap wise (should be a better situation) next season. Maybe and just maybe after the blowup of the Aso signing the market is just not there for a 16 mill a year salary for a CB in a flat cap world and  the JETS are able to sign Revis after next season for a 10-12 mill deal.

This is a bad theory because then you have to start to think Revis is considered so great because of the same reason.  The Jets have never had a great offense.  Even with Favre it was one of those Brian S had no clue how to coach him and Favre was injured.   

You can't make the claim that the Jets pass D was only good last year because the offense stunk, and then in the next sentence say Revis is the best CB of all time playing for the same team with the same offense.

This is a bad theory because then you have to start to think Revis is considered so great because of the same reason.  The Jets have never had a great offense.  Even with Favre it was one of those Brian S had no clue how to coach him and Favre was injured.   

You can't make the claim that the Jets pass D was only good last year because the offense stunk, and then in the next sentence say Revis is the best CB of all time playing for the same team with the same offense.

Along this line of thinking, if the jets defense was so great last year, why do we need Revis? He would just be a spare part to a #2 pass defense. 

Archived