'Ask Bitonti': JetNations resident Draft Guru

SouthernJet

I heard Bradway was scouting Geno. If the JETS take him at #9 how many years will it set the franchise back by ?

The Jets scouting geno is not surprising. Buff really hot on em and the Jets would have to play him 2x a year. If the Jets took Geno I don't know if it sets the franchise back all that much, because of the reduced salary of what 9 makes. This isn't like drafting Sanchito and paying him 30 mil. 

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jarvis Jones is my guy but he's not a tweener (DE converting) so not on this list.  

1. Mingo

2. Jordan

3. Ansah 

4. Werner 

5. Lemonier 

all with rd 1 grades. 

after that.. Tank Carridine and Alex Okafor i guess. Then demontre.

There's actually a good amount of mid/late round sleepers at this position. 

This list would have been considered crazy 2 months ago because Moore is not in it.  He has more proven production than any of these guys, and he has already shown that he can play either position.  Does his poor 40 time (with a tight hammy) and relatively low BP reps really discredit his film?

The Jets scouting geno is not surprising. Buff really hot on em and the Jets would have to play him 2x a year. If the Jets took Geno I don't know if it sets the franchise back all that much, because of the reduced salary of what 9 makes. This isn't like drafting Sanchito and paying him 30 mil. 

I’m not really sure it’s all about money that  sets a team back when a top ten QB goes bust.  It’s the commitment while he develops.

If he doesn’t develop, and goes bust, it usually takes a good 4 years to realize it.  The money is an issue, but secondary.

calling me a draft expert isn't gonna end well. I prefer draft enthusiast. or super fan maybe.

first off Duke actually wasn't sh*tty this year. They were a great bet getting points many weeks. 

RE: renfree he's a real interesting sleeper in an unpredictable QB class. . He's got arm strength and he's got a chance. A team could take him and find a gem.  More likely a clipboard holder but worth a shot on day 3.

Vernon ran a linebacker number at 4.68.  I guess he could be a slot guy but he's not gonna get a whole lot of chances. 

Thanks Bit. I've heard rumblings from Chapel Hill contacts that the Jets have been down here sniffing out Renfree (along with as you well know, UNCs RB Gio Bernard, UNCs Jonathan Cooper and UNCs NT Sylvester Williams)

Jarvis Jones is my guy but he's not a tweener (DE converting) so not on this list.  

1. Mingo

2. Jordan

3. Ansah 

4. Werner 

5. Lemonier 

all with rd 1 grades. 

after that.. Tank Carridine and Alex Okafor i guess. Then demontre.

There's actually a good amount of mid/late round sleepers at this position. 

I REALLY hope the Jets don't draft Mingo. He's a one dimensional pass rusher. He can't cover, can't stuff the run and he's just OK laterally. 

Bit

Franklin from UCLA -can he be a number 1 back? Where do you think he wil be drafted

love Franklin. Round 2 hopefully to the NYJ. rd 2 is not too early for this guy. We can sit here and pretend hes gonna be there in rd 4 or whatever but he's fast and on tape he's got comparisons to Lesean McCoy. He's a complete back in a league where there's few complete backs. 

Jamie Collins is listed as the #2 OLB on Kiper's board. (I think it's Kiper)

I hadn't heard of him until seeing that list, I wonder what your take is on him, if any, and if that would affect your list posted above. 

yeah i kinda forgot about him. Before the combine he was prob only a 4-3 OLB projection. But showing up at 250 was real good. I don't see him as an impact pass rusher but definitely starter material could be a Pace/BT type that does it all. top 100 pick easy. on my list he's not top 5 because I want pass rusher out of that pick. prob put him in that 2nd group with Tank, Okafor and Moore. 

I REALLY hope the Jets don't draft Mingo. He's a one dimensional pass rusher. He can't cover, can't stuff the run and he's just OK laterally. 

Huh, I think he's been very good against the run, he holds the edge about 10 times better than Jones. Just bc he hasn't been asked to cover doesn't mean he can't, i.e. (see: 95% of NFL 34 OLBs). Besides, how overrated are cover skills for a 34 OLB. Turn hips and cover the flat. I think he can handle that about as well as most in the NFL at the position. 

I might have to go to bat for DaMontre Moore this draft. The combo of extremely young, highly productive in a tough conference, played DE and LB, did it for a top team...Improved the bench to an acceptable 19 at his pro day...I don't see anything wrong with him athletically on the Youtubes...no health issues except maybe the hamstring.

I bet with how young he is there's a team out there that feels they can throw him in the weight room and use him primarily as a pass rusher in 2013. I would like him to fall to the second round pick, but hypothetically if the Jets were to take him at 9 not a player that I would groan at (possibly Patterson).

bit, 

Why DaMontre Moore the bad workout guy < Jarvis Jones the no workout due to possible real spinal issues guy? 

My answer would be that if the Jets want to win sooner rather than later and draft on production then Jones is the obvious choice. Something along those lines? I talk to myself sometimes. 

Wow! the Jets are truly in bad shape they can,t even sign a  decent football player beside David Garrard. and the mass exedous continues

Rex Ryan and Mark Sanchez deserves each other. I hope Ryan gets canned four games into the 2013 season. Jokers! 

Wow! the Jets are truly in bad shape they can,t even sign a  decent football player beside David Garrard. and the mass exedous continues

Rex Ryan and Mark Sanchez deserves each other. I hope Ryan gets canned four games into the 2013 season. Jokers! 

Jokers? This is an "Ask Bitonti a Question" thread. 

The answers and discussion pertaining to your two cents are in (like) four other threads.  

dear bintonto

do the Jets want to draft a wide reciever in the draft early?

The WR situation is really fluid. They restructured Holmes which is good news but Brandon Gibson left town without a contract, which is bad news.  When Tanny was on NFLN predicting a WR at 9 I believe that's a function of how he constructed the team, and where the holes were on the roster when he left it. We could say Tanny doesn't know what he's talking about but they still haven't added anyone... at all.  Alot of futures types on the roster, little "real" talent besides Holmes, Hill and Kerley. 

So long story short yes they need WR and early. 2nd might be more likely than 1st as there's gonna be more value in the day 2 WR than in the day 1, that's JMO. Maybe they still believe Hill can be a 1, and looking for a 2/3 to play early. Holmes I believe is on his last year with the team (but the details of his restructure are still nebulous). 

The WR situation is really fluid. They restructured Holmes which is good news but Brandon Gibson left town without a contract, which is bad news.  When Tanny was on NFLN predicting a WR at 9 I believe that's a function of how he constructed the team, and where the holes were on the roster when he left it. We could say Tanny doesn't know what he's talking about but they still haven't added anyone... at all.  Alot of futures types on the roster, little "real" talent besides Holmes, Hill and Kerley. 

So long story short yes they need WR and early. 2nd might be more likely than 1st as there's gonna be more value in the day 2 WR than in the day 1, that's JMO. Maybe they still believe Hill can be a 1, and looking for a 2/3 to play early. Holmes I believe is on his last year with the team (but the details of his restructure are still nebulous). 

dear bintonto

why did you change your name from Bitoni? 

dear bit:

if we trade revis and have the 9 and 13th pick this year who do you draft

i was thinking zigg/o linemen if hes not there and dee milliner/star if dee not there

If the Jets don't sign any guards before the draft, then Chance becomes a real target. 9 or 13 isn't too high for a player with his grade on film. He's not real bright and he's probably only a left guard but Brick - Chance- mangold is something to build around. Best available pass rusher is also an easy prediction. I wanted Conner Barwin but was shocked to see the contract he just got from Philly (6 years big money). 

Don't see the point of trading Revis to draft a corner. (Bucs could sit there and draft a corner if that was a better option). 

I wouldn't discount Cord. Patterson (if he falls), Tyler Eifert or Keenan Allen (if he knee checks Out). But as i said, receiver/TE seems more like a day 2 fix. I actually don't feel awful about the TE. Cumby, Rueland and Hayden Smith is not great but there's upside there, i guess. 

The cornerbacks. Milliner is the consensus first one gone.  Where do you think he will go?  Who do you think comes off the board second?  I like Trufant, but most places I've seen have Rhodes coming off 2nd. Any of the guys particularly better suited to zone or man?  As a Scarlet Knight, I wonder where do you think Logan Ryan will go?

bit, 

Why DaMontre Moore the bad workout guy < Jarvis Jones the no workout due to possible real spinal issues guy? 

My answer would be that if the Jets want to win sooner rather than later and draft on production then Jones is the obvious choice. Something along those lines? I talk to myself sometimes. 

Jarvis Jones pro day is Mar 21 if he doesn't work out we can certainly have this conversation. I suspect Jones will turn in a workman like but not amazing performance  Better than Moore by at least 2 tenths. I don't hate Moore but we can't be blind to what those workout times do to his value. The league is full of great players who didn't go round 1, maybe Moore can be like those guys. No reason to reach for him however.  if we are directly comparing them, note that Jarvis Jones won all the awards in that same conference as Demontre Moore. 

The cornerbacks. Milliner is the consensus first one gone.  Where do you think he will go?  Who do you think comes off the board second?  I like Trufant, but most places I've seen have Rhodes coming off 2nd. Any of the guys particularly better suited to zone or man?  As a Scarlet Knight, I wonder where do you think Logan Ryan will go?

Not Bit, but Milliner probably goes top 5 - Lions seem like a logical landing spot. Rhodes is probably the better bet to go second, but Trufant moves really well so there's a chance. Probably depends on the scheme of whoever goes CB second. Both are talented man guys though. Think Rhodes has struggled a bit in zone. Logan Ryan seems like a round 2 guy, probably a solid #2 corner.

dear bintonto

why did you change your name from Bitoni? 

well i lost a bet and had to add a t 

milliner ran a legit 4.3 and goes high. top 5ish and i don't expect him to be there at 9. 

trufant then rhodes. Tru ran faster and the bloodlines. Both guys could press man, X has more athleticism probably. Tru better overall and hands.  the CB class is actually loaded with talent this year, especially in the first 60 picks and Ryan is a real part of that  mix. Big guys who can run. There's probably gonna be a run on those guys rd 2. 

well i lost a bet and had to add a t 

milliner ran a legit 4.3 and goes high. top 5ish and i don't expect him to be there at 9. 

trufant then rhodes. Tru ran faster and the bloodlines. Both guys could press man, X has more athleticism probably. Tru better overall and hands.  the CB class is actually loaded with talent this year, especially in the first 60 picks and Ryan is a real part of that  mix. Big guys who can run. There's probably gonna be a run on those guys rd 2. 

what was the bet over??

If the Jets don't sign any guards before the draft, then Chance becomes a real target. 9 or 13 isn't too high for a player with his grade on film. He's not real bright and he's probably only a left guard but Brick - Chance- mangold is something to build around. Best available pass rusher is also an easy prediction. I wanted Conner Barwin but was shocked to see the contract he just got from Philly (6 years big money). 

Don't see the point of trading Revis to draft a corner. (Bucs could sit there and draft a corner if that was a better option). 

I wouldn't discount Cord. Patterson (if he falls), Tyler Eifert or Keenan Allen (if he knee checks Out). But as i said, receiver/TE seems more like a day 2 fix. I actually don't feel awful about the TE. Cumby, Rueland and Hayden Smith is not great but there's upside there, i guess. 

Have to think even if Warmack is there they may want to try and trade down a few spots for Cooper, who probably fits Mornhinweg's system better. 

What round do you guys think Ace Sanders goes in?  I think the Jets can use a serious dedicated punt returner and he seems like he'd be a dangerous slot guy.  4th round grade by the advisory commitee and a midget.  He only ran 4.58 which is probably not sniffing what he'd hoped.  Plenty of WRs out there, just wondering the consensus on this guy.  Might be interesting if he drops.

How likely is it that Star drops because of the heart? If he's there at 13, do you take the chance?

Rutgers fan?

Bit, why take a RB early?

Does the NFL give them sample steroids to try out at the combine or do they wait?

How quickly can #9 be cut if he's not a great QB? How much does that save?

Why is Matt Scott getting attention? Is the QB REALLY that bad?

Does Marcus Lattimore get drafted?

Archived