Peter King: Bucs willing to deal future picks

LAD_Brooklyn

The latest on a potential trade by the Tampa Bay Buccaneers for New York Jets

cornerback Darrelle Revis comes from Peter King.

He reports that the Jets now might be willing
to take draft picks for 2014, instead of this year, as compensation. In
the scenario King describes, the Bucs would ship their first- and
second-round picks in 2014 to New York. Earlier reports had indicated
the compensation the Jets wanted included Tampa Bay’s first-round pick
(No. 13 overall) this year and perhaps a third-round pick next year.

nfl_a_revis11_200.jpgAP PhotoTom DiPaceIs Darrelle Revis worth a first- and second-round pick ?

But
the Bucs are hesitant to give up this year’s first-round draft pick and
I don’t blame them. Tampa Bay has the upper hand in this process
because it doesn’t seem like any other team is willing to trade for
Revis and give him a long-term contract.

The Bucs have the cap room to work a deal with Revis. They also have
a need at cornerback and, even though he’s coming off a knee injury,
Revis might be the best in the game.

But would it be prudent for the Bucs, who like to talk about how
they build through the draft, to give up their top two picks in 2014?

In days of old, like five years ago, that kind of move would have
been viewed as mortgaging the future. But the NFL changes quickly and
this might not be a bad deal for the Bucs.

In the modern climate of the NFL, it’s fair to say that general
manager Mark Dominik needs to win this year. Heck, it might even be fair
to say that coach Greg Schiano needs to win in his second year because
this team hasn’t won a postseason game in over a decade.

If everything clicks for Tampa Bay, the Jets might be inheriting a
2014 first-round pick that’s in the 20s, maybe even the 30s. If
everything doesn’t click, some new general manager (and maybe even a new
head coach) would have to deal with the problem of not having first- or
second-round picks in 2014.

> http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/74596/should-bucs-mortgage-future-for-revis

The Jets have a vexing problem with Darrelle Revis, but if GM John Idzik plays his cards right, he could at least partially save face for trading the franchise’s best player by getting no less than first- and third-round draft choices from Tampa Bay for the problematic cornerback, a source close to the negotiations told SI.com.

I know I rip people for complaining about the media, but Peter King really is a doughy dissembling dunce. Why does Idzik need to "save face"? And why can he only partially save face? Get your mouth shut, you star****ing cockopotamus.

I know I rip people for complaining about the media, but Peter King really is a doughy dissembling dunce. Why does Idzik need to "save face"? And why can he only partially save face? Get your mouth shut, you star****ing cockopotamus.

lol

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Cockopotamus

cockopotamus    

A cockopotamus was the result of a science experiment gone wrong in 1776. The experiment created a new species called the "cockopotamus" which is a mix breed between a penis and a hippopotamus resulting in the shape, size, and color of a human penis, with the size of an entire hippopotamus.

Why are you complaining about King?  A source close to the negotiations told him that Idzik could partially save face!

Buccaneers | Willing to trade 2014 picks for Darrelle Revis 
Thu, 21 Mar 2013 10:49:28 -0700

The Tampa Bay Buccaneers likely would be willing to trade their 2014 first- and second-round pick for New York Jets CB Darrelle Revis if the Jets were willing to accept draft choices from next season. The Jets have insisted on getting the Buccaneers' 2013 first-round draft choice as well as an additional pick, which likely would be a 2014 pick. It is believed theBuccaneers would be willing to pay Revis in the neighborhood of $15 million per season in a new contract.

Comment | Source: SI.com - Peter King | Share: facebook.png 

Read more: http://www.kffl.com/hotw/nfl#ixzz2OCPUOozc

lol

cockopotamus    

A cockopotamus was the result of a science experiment gone wrong in 1776. The experiment created a new species called the "cockopotamus" which is a mix breed between a penis and a hippopotamus resulting in the shape, size, and color of a human penis, with the size of an entire hippopotamus.

Really shouldn't have clicked that one at work.  I can expect a visit now. Guess it's better than actually typing cockopotamus.  Oops, did that too!

Really shouldn't have clicked that one at work.  I can expect a visit now. Guess it's better than actually typing cockopotamus.  Oops, did that too!

Somehow I skipped over definition #1.

One who is so slutty that they are filled so full of cock that they become the size of a hippopotamus. Can apply to both male and female and is only to be used on the sluttiest of people.

lol

cockopotamus    

True story?

alg-chris-russo-jpg.jpg

Dude...I feel like 2014 1st and 2nd is even better than a 2013.

Not true at all just going off basic finance in regard to TVM  (time value in money) or in this cast time value in assets. I would rather a current 1st and 3rd. If it's that important for Idzik to acquire a 1st next season. Hold still at 13. Trade our 9th pick to the back end of the 1st for a late 1st, 2nd and next seasons 1st. Of course it takes two for a Julio Jones type trade to happen but that's the value of that pick going by the NFL draft value chart.

Allowing the Bucs to improve their team with Revis along with keeping all their current picks would place them in a good spot to do damage next year and that future 1st can very well turn out to be a late 1st. If that was to happen I would be livid.

In 2009, nobody really hated the Jets.  By 2011, everybody seemed to and they weren't a contender.  So it makes matters worse that 2012 had the Tebow crap, and a 6-10 season.    When you are an arrogant blowhard predicting super bowls and your players follow suit and you never win anything,  it's easy for everybody to hate you.   ESPN posted crap about the Jets every chance they could get, they posted crap about Tebow every chance they could get, and the Jets were a 6-10 team.      Great publicity I guess, but annoying.   

Idzik is trying to clean up that obnoxious image, Rex is more subdued, and the Jets are a team who looks like a team who is in rebuild mode.  But nothing happens overnight. The Jets are still considered to be the blowhard obnoxious team.  Except now they aren't very good.  As long as Rex is in town and Sanchez and Tebow and Revis, it'll be a field day for the media.  Look at this offseason.  The Jets in the media are pointless.  And yet there are tons of stories everywhere.  With Revis or without Revis, the jets aren't a playoff team in 2013.    

I guess it's good that they are still in the spotlight, good or bad, but none of it matters.   

LAD_Brooklyn, on 21 Mar 2013 - 16:08, said:

Not true at all just going off basic finance in regard to TVM (time value in money) or in this cast time value in assets. I would rather a current 1st and 3rd. If it's that important for Idzik to acquire a 1st next season. Hold still at 13. Trade our 9th pick to the back end of the 1st for a late 1st, 2nd and next seasons 1st. Of course it takes two for a Julio Jones type trade to happen but that's the value of that pick going by the NFL draft value chart.

Allowing the Bucs to improve their team with Revis along with keeping all their current picks would place them in a good spot to do damage next year and that future 1st can very well turn out to be a late 1st. If that was to happen I would be livid.

Not sure I like any of the (possible) options at 13 this year. Might be better off in the 20's next year. Mingo, Jordan, Ansah are probably all gone by 9, the WR's are gambles more than any other year. Unless Wamack were to drop, or maybe Cooper?

I WOULD NOT take a QB with that pick. Imagine the pressure on that kid if so, being the Revis pick. I dunno, they're gonna suck anyway. I don't mind gambling on 2014 especially if I could leverage more picks.

Not true at all just going off basic finance in regard to TVM  (time value in money) or in this cast time value in assets. I would rather a current 1st and 3rd. If it's that important for Idzik to acquire a 1st next season. Hold still at 13. Trade our 9th pick to the back end of the 1st for a late 1st, 2nd and next seasons 1st. Of course it takes two for a Julio Jones type trade to happen but that's the value of that pick going by the NFL draft value chart.

The Bucs were 7-9.   Freeman isn't exactly  all that much different compared to Sanchez when it comes to turning the ball over. They both have something like 50 or more turnovers the past two seasons.    The defense has improved and with Revis they'd be even better, but we've seen this with the Jets.   If the offense turns the ball over 30 times in a season,  it really won't matter.   The Bucs could just as likely wind up 8-8 with Revis and suddenly next years draft pick is 13 or 14.   

The assumption that the Bucs will be some super bowl contender is kind of a joke.  Will the be better? Probably.  But weren't they supposed to be better for years now?  Instead they are a team who has a QB who can't hang on to the ball.  And he has better threats than Sanchez.

Somebody else said it best.  The Jets went 6-10, didn't have Revis, had Sanchez, and are rebuilding.   The Bucs went 7-9, had a QB that looks like Sanchez at times, and with Revis are suddenly super bowl contenders?   Good luck on that.

Neither of us would know exactly how they would do but most would agree that with the addition of Revis, Goldson, downgrading Wright as their number two their odds of improving are pretty good. Also having the number 13 to improve their pass rush along with their core still in tack that they should improve from their 7-9 finish last season. Their problem last year was defense. Having Revis, Goldson and the 13th pick is the biggest defense of upgrade any team could have made this off-season.

Any how that's not my main point. It's the time value in asset.

If the Bucs are offering next year’s 1 & 2  plus another pick this year, and Idzik blows it, and Revis walks away next year for nothing, I’ve got to be done with the Jets.

It doesn’t matter who is running the Jets, soon as they walk in the door, their brains fall out their ass

Now if he gets a better deal in the end, of course he is a genius 

Neither of us would know exactly how they would do but most would agree that with the addition of Revis, Goldson, downgrading Wright as their number two their odds of improving are pretty good. Also having the number 13 to improve their pass rush along with their core still in tack that they should improve from their 7-9 finish last season. Their problem last year was defense. Having Revis, Goldson and the 13th pick is the biggest defense of upgrade any team could have made this off-season.

Any how that's not my main point. It's the time value in asset.

Their defense did suck, but Freeman turning the ball over 20 something times didn't help.  

No team can have a QB who throws 17+ picks a year and fumbles the ball 6-8 times a season.  

I'm not sold on the Bucs being some contender.  I might be wrong, but even with Revis,  if Freeman is the same QB he has been the past few seasons,  they are a 9-7 team.    So a 13 this year or a 15 next year isn't all that different.

Are the Bucs better than the Falcons?   I doubt it.   

Are the Bucs better than the Saints with their head coach back and not coming off a bounty scandal season?   No.

Are the Bucs better then the Carolina Panthers who also went 7-9 and Cam Newton has looked far better than Freeman ever did?  Not sure.

That's the thing.  The Panthers also went 7-9, have Cam Newton as their QB, and they aren't gunning for Revis.   

The Falcons were what, 13-3, were a few stops or a TD away from the Super bowl.   The Saints went 7-9 after starting like 0-5 or 0-4 and are a super bowl contender and should be back to normal after having the worst defense in the NFL and no head coach.   

This is why I find it funny that the Bucs are all in.   They aren't even better than the other teams in their own division.  Even with Revis. 

The Bucs entire future depends on Freeman becoming a franchise QB. Becoming at least like a Flacco.   If he isn't, the Bucs with Revis aren't ever going to win anything.     this is why a 13 this year might not be that different than the 15 next season.   

Now if Freeman becomes Brady suddenly and they go 14-2 and win the super bowl and he signs one of those 20 million per year contracts in 2014, who the hell cares at that point.  The Jets got the 13th pick this year and went 4-12 and the Bucs won a super bowl with Revis and Freeman.   Who really got the better of that deal?

I feel like the news keeps repeating itself. The only new information lately has been the 12-13 number.

Two firsts and some combo of two or three 2-4 picks or the conversation isn't even worth it.

If they can get this, I'm all for it.  But If they are overvaluing the trade market and wind up losing him in 2014 for nothing,   then the Jets are a joke.

The good news? The minimum we'd get for Revis is the 1st and 2nd round picks in 2014 for the team most likely to come in 3rd in the NFC South, that can't be too bad. Middle rounders I'd bet, at the end of the day they still have the worst QB in their division by a mile.

If they can get this, I'm all for it. But If they are overvaluing the trade market and wind up losing him in 2014 for nothing, then the Jets are a joke.

The Jets are always a joke. Nothing new there. Most likely is that fans are overvaluing made up numbers from earlier in the offseason (16+) and the potential of second rounders.

The Jets are always a joke. Nothing new there. Most likely is that fans are overvaluing made up numbers from earlier in the offseason (16+) and the potential of second rounders.

I don't think it's the potential of second rounders.

I just don't think the 13th pick this year and then some other picks this and next compared to

the 15th pick next year and then some other picks next year is all that different.     

People are just under the impression that the Bucs are going to be some 12-4 team and the Jets wind up with the 28th pick.

The good news? The minimum we'd get for Revis is the 1st and 2nd round picks in 2014 for the team most likely to come in 3rd in the NFC South, that can't be too bad. Middle rounders I'd bet, at the end of the day they still have the worst QB in their division by a mile.

"The hard part about playing chicken is knowin' when to flinch"

"AAAAAAAAAAAAAH!! Crazy Ivan!!!"

I wouldn't mind getting next year's one and two. If we're not sh*tty enough to be in a position to draft Teddy Ballgame or Johnny Football or Jadeveon Clownball, we can put together a package and still have a chance to have a good draft.

And this is coming from a person with the impulse control of a lobotomy patient.

I think the closer you get to the draft and the day of the draft, it's hard to see Revis being traded.   Teams start to inflate the value of some college kid or they fall in love with some kid and think the kid is better than they ever will be after all these Geno Smith BS workouts.

Anyway, as much as draft picks are an unknown,  the Jets traded away a bunch of picks for Revis years ago and the Panthers wound up with a pro bowl MLB in Jon Beason and a pro bowl center in Ryan Kalil.    They've both been injured recently and who knows what the future brings, but it wasn't like the Panthers got a raw deal.   Jets got a great CB in Revis and the Panthers got two pro bowl players.      

If the Jets trade Revis away for a 1st and 2nd next year  or even a 2nd this year, 1st and 3rd next year,    there are a ton of possibilities.   A few people are worried that the Jets won't get good players in the draft compared to what Revis brings to the table.  The Panthers got 2 pro bowl players. They aren't Revis, but they still are good players before injuries.  If the Jets can get close to that plus add something with the $12-16 million they won't have to pay Revis, that could be 4 good players,  

If the Jets can't find 4 good players, it probably means they are in trouble anyway with or without Revis and it's not going to matter much what they do.  

If you think Idzik is building for the future, you have to believe they can find good players in the draft. You have to believe they can find good cheap players. And you have to believe they have the right scouts, the right coaches, etc.    You have to believe they will find some starters in this years draft, some starters next year and hope some of those guys turn into potential pro bowlers.   If you don't believe they will do that,  it doesn't really matter what they trade Revis for or if they decide to pay him $20 million a year to stay because they'll be a team who can't find good players.   I'm hoping Idzik and staff know what they are doing and find some young talent.

A Pro Bowl C and Pro Bowl MLB...real rarities in the sport.

Kevin Mawae's backup and spot starter here (Jon Goodwin) has been to two SBs in the past 5 years. Pro Bowl caliber middle or inside linebackers almost grow on trees, especially at the ages Beason was exciting.

Someone nailed it the other day...if trading Revis isn't directly responsible for landing a game and franchise changing QB then not worth it. If losing him resulted in a Pro Bowl G and ILB for the Jets then I'm stewing a thousand bunnies and spilling all of it in front of a soup kitchen/orphanage.

I'm sure the Panthers would love to have that deal back btw. I'd take one top three overall NFL defender at an absolutely mandatory position in the modern NFL over the short shelf life of a non-elite MLB and a C with injury problems all day err day.

A Pro Bowl C and Pro Bowl MLB...real rarities in the sport.

Kevin Mawae's backup and spot starter here (Jon Goodwin) has been to two SBs in the past 5 years. Pro Bowl caliber middle or inside linebackers almost grow on trees, especially at the ages Beason was exciting.

Someone nailed it the other day...if trading Revis isn't directly responsible for landing a game and franchise changing QB then not worth it. If losing him resulted in a Pro Bowl G and ILB for the Jets then I'm stewing a thousand bunnies and spilling all of it in front of a soup kitchen/orphanage.

I'm sure the Panthers would love to have that deal back btw. I'd take one top three overall NFL defender at an absolutely mandatory position in the modern NFL over the short shelf life of a non-elite MLB and a C with injury problems all day err day.

So you're on board for next year's 1st & 2nd, right?

The Bucs were 7-9.   Freeman isn't exactly  all that much different compared to Sanchez when it comes to turning the ball over. They both have something like 50 or more turnovers the past two seasons.    The defense has improved and with Revis they'd be even better, but we've seen this with the Jets.   If the offense turns the ball over 30 times in a season,  it really won't matter.   The Bucs could just as likely wind up 8-8 with Revis and suddenly next years draft pick is 13 or 14.   

The assumption that the Bucs will be some super bowl contender is kind of a joke.  Will the be better? Probably.  But weren't they supposed to be better for years now?  Instead they are a team who has a QB who can't hang on to the ball.  And he has better threats than Sanchez.

Somebody else said it best.  The Jets went 6-10, didn't have Revis, had Sanchez, and are rebuilding.   The Bucs went 7-9, had a QB that looks like Sanchez at times, and with Revis are suddenly super bowl contenders?   Good luck on that.

On the other hand, you can look at their record last year and say definitively that there are 4-5 games that they probably would have won if they had Dashon Goldson and a healthy Revis and I'm not even counting the Broncos game that they lost by eight. That would put them at 11-5 or 12-4 and with that record alone, you have a shot at making a deep run in the playoffs.

Combine this with the idea that they really were impossible to run on (3.5 a carry yielded) and horrific against the pass, you'd have to assume the addition of those two players would make a world of difference on their defense (Revis alone changes our defense entirely), leaving them in less situations where their offense will HAVE to extend itself and put the ball in Freeman's hands to go out and win a game. They can rely on the run a little more (Doug Martin, beast) than they had to last year and also would not be in as many obvious passing situations. Yeah, Freeman's turnovers are comparable to Sanchez, but he also threw 27 tds and had a YPA a full yard better than Sanchez.

Toss in the fact that Barron will be in his second year and that defense can be scary good.

Oh, and they get Carl Nicks and Davin Joseph back, both Pro Bowlers.

I don't believe that it would be time to prescribe meds to their front office if they believed that they at least had a shot at a Super Bowl. It's their job to be optimistic and if they can't make a run with all of these pieces in place, then when can they allow themselves to believe they can make a run? There are no perfect teams in today's NFL and they can be just as imperfectly good as anyone.

Hell, we almost made the Super Bowl twice with Mark Sanchez and not nearly as good a receiving corp or running back as the Bucs have now.

So you're on board for next year's 1st & 2nd, right?

If Idzik has this year's #13 pick in mind, then next year's 1&2 is way too low. When trading future picks, the general rule is that a pick next year is worth one round lower than a pick this year. So that 1&2 has a value of 2&3.

I think the Jets would have to get a minimum of this year's #2 from the Buc in addition to those two picks to get Idzik to bite.

Archived