THE MATT SLAUSON ERA IS OVER

T0mShane

How much cash money did the Bears give him?   

I liked Slausen and I can't believe the Jets let him go that easily.    Isn't he also the backup Center for Mangold?     If nothing else, having Slausen as a backup for both OG's and C would have made sense.  

Makes perfect sense. Use the pass blocker for the ground and pound. Now they need a run blocker for west coast!

....This is either a setup from the highest levels to take Sanchez "out", or Morninwheg is a Schottenheimeresque illusion for The Nuclear Option, what may be the greatest implementation of the Ground and Pound of All Time.

How much cash money did the Bears give him?

I liked Slausen and I can't believe the Jets let him go that easily. Isn't he also the backup Center for Mangold? If nothing else, having Slausen as a backup for both OG's and C would have made sense.

Why would he take a demotion when he can start?

What I've learned from this thread:

a.) Matt Slauson sucks

b.) The Jets should use the #9 overall to replace him

I do love this place.

Or, you can just find a better player than Matt Slauson without overpaying for one. Happens all the time.

To me, nobody knew Slauson better than the jets.  Also, they knew they could get him fairly cheap.  They need a cheap guard.  They let him go.  They must think that he super sucks.  Or maybe he has body odor that would make a buffalo gag.

Simple

I wonder what Adrian Clarke is doing these days?

To be serious, you could argue that this roster sucks now because there weren't enough Slauson-type picks on it. Really, the fact that the Jets were competitive at all the last five years is a testament to Tannenbaum's ability to sneak veterans in under the salary cap, because he sh*t all over the draft process every year by throwing away middle-round picks. Obviously Slauson wasn't good, but he was a mid-round pick that was able to start for awhile, removing the need to spend on a FA to plug the hole.

To me, nobody knew Slauson better than the jets.  Also, they knew they could get him fairly cheap.  They need a cheap guard.  They let him go.  They must think that he super sucks.  Or maybe he has body odor that would make a buffalo gag.

You could say the same thing about Wade Smith or Rob Turner.   Both players have been very productive elsewhere and would have filled huge holes on last yeas team.    In fact, those 2 would have been the starting OG's and the Jets let them both walk for basically nothing.  

The NY Jets are not the best barometer of talent evaluation.  

When the Jets ran the ball last season, they averaged 3.8 yards per carry.  Mark Sanchez, Greg McElroy and Tim Tebow were sacked 47 times combined and they were under non-stop duress whenever they dropped back.  So the shake up on the offensive line continues as Matt Slauson has signed a one-year contract with the Chicago Bears.  According to the Chicago Tribune Slauson is expected to start for the Bears.

The Jets had mild interest in bringing Slauson back, Manish Mehta reports that the team did offer Slauson the veteran minimum to return.

Right now it looks like Willie Colon will replace Brandon Moore at right guard and Vladimir Ducasse will replace Matt Slauson at left guard.  Although this is a position (offensive guard) that the Jets could target early in the draft.  Colon has a history of being injured so depth is definitely a pressing issue.

If Ferguson wasnt so completely average in the running game, Slauson would have looked even better.

It was hard to run the ball with 2 average (at best) run blockers on the left side. Hence the need to replace Slauson with a mauling type.

If Ferguson wasnt so completely average in the running game, Slauson would have looked even better.

It was hard to run the ball with 2 average (at best) run blockers on the left side. Hence the need to replace Slauson with a mauling type.

Duh. That's why we have Vlad the mauler!

To be serious, you could argue that this roster sucks now because there weren't enough Slauson-type picks on it. Really, the fact that the Jets were competitive at all the last five years is a testament to Tannenbaum's ability to sneak veterans in under the salary cap, because he sh*t all over the draft process every year by throwing away middle-round picks. Obviously Slauson wasn't good, but he was a mid-round pick that was able to start for awhile, removing the need to spend on a FA to plug the hole.

By "competitive at all", you mean "on the verge of a Superbowl appearance on two occasions"? Just so we're clear... thanks.

Duh. That's why we have Vlad the mauler!

Who is he mauling, the opposing DL or our QB?

Lets put it this way we got about as best you could out of a 6th round draft choice so that was positive

Exactly.  Getting a 3-year starter out of a 6th round pick on his rookie deal is pretty damn good.  While some people may not have been particularly big fans, he was at least pretty solid and I think Tom hit the nail on the head when he said the truth is that the Jets could have used a lot more of those types of picks.  He gave the Jets a lot more than they've even gotten out of some of their recent 1st and 2nd rounders.

Exactly.  Getting a 3-year starter out of a 6th round pick on his rookie deal is pretty damn good.  While some people may not have been particularly big fans, he was at least pretty solid and I think Tom hit the nail on the head when he said the truth is that the Jets could have used a lot more of those types of picks.  He gave the Jets a lot more than they've even gotten out of some of their recent 1st and 2nd rounders.

I think it's a bit of a double edged sword though.  They had, were able to get and keep, a fair number of vets that kept them from needing to start those types of players.  I think the solid roster also led to some reach or boom or bust type picks, like Vlad.  Guys that will be excellent starters or stiffs.  If the roster were a little shakier, they might have drafted a little safer and gotten more "useable" guys.

All this was exacerbated by the lack of overall picks.

I think it's a bit of a double edged sword though.  They had, were able to get and keep, a fair number of vets that kept them from needing to start those types of players.  I think the solid roster also led to some reach or boom or bust type picks, like Vlad.  Guys that will be excellent starters or stiffs.  If the roster were a little shakier, they might have drafted a little safer and gotten more "useable" guys.

While I get what you're saying, the problem with the lack of those types of picks, even in a case like that, is it also was a major contributor to the team's pretty crappy depth, even when they were at their best.  That was a big factor in why the team fell apart so quickly the moment some of their players started to drop off due to age or left via FA, because the team had no viable replacement options.

Well that, and you know, the whole thing about Sanchez being horrendously awful.

While I get what you're saying, the problem with the lack of those types of picks, even in a case like that, is it also was a major contributor to the team's pretty crappy depth, even when they were at their best.  That was a big factor in why the team fell apart so quickly the moment some of their players started to drop off due to age or left via FA, because the team had no viable replacement options.

Well that, and you know, the whole thing about Sanchez being horrendously awful.

Another contributor is that if you pick a project - say Vlad - it's kind of dumb to give up on him right away. That means for a year or two you are holding a roster space for a guy that isn't giving you anything at all and isn't even a viable backup. 

Another contributor is that if you pick a project - say Vlad - it's kind of dumb to give up on him right away. That means for a year or two you are holding a roster space for a guy that isn't giving you anything at all and isn't even a viable backup.

Vlad was just a bad pick, regardless of the philosophy behind drafting him.

Archived