Schefter: Jets Bringing back Calvin Pace

CrazyCarl40

What does Mingo know about playing linebacker? nothing. What does Dion Jordan know about playing linebacker? very little. Neither of these guys are 1st/2nd down "starting" OLB at this point. In 2-3 years sure. Instantly Pace and Barnes are the best OLb on the roster with mcintyre as a special teamer/depth. drafting an olb at 9 doesn't really change that depth chart. on the other hand drafting Chance Warmack the guy is an instant starter.

You're not drafting Mingo at 9 and putting him on the bench.

It reduces our need there, and we do have other pressing needs as well. But, Pace is not a starting quality OLB. I don't think it tells you much, it just gives them the flexibility to go another route with the pick if they want to.

I suppose. But, Pace doesn't play special teams, so it's hard to see his value as your fifth LB.

What does Mingo know about playing linebacker? nothing. What does Dion Jordan know about playing linebacker? very little. Neither of these guys are 1st/2nd down "starting" OLB at this point. In 2-3 years sure. Instantly Pace and Barnes are the best OLb on the roster with mcintyre as a special teamer/depth. drafting an olb at 9 doesn't really change that depth chart. on the other hand drafting Chance Warmack the guy is an instant starter.

Maybe Mingo isn't ready, maybe he proves people wrong, but like somebody else said, you draft the guy at #9, he will need to play often enough to warrant the pick.    And to me having Pace for a year doesn't do much.  It just means they can put a team on the field.  It means little for depth.  Because come next year they are in the same situation and need to find some other guy who may or may not be ready.    

All these cheap one year 'rentals'  seem more about saving money than building something.  You aren't building anything by signing cheap injury prone players to one or two year deals.   They are just placeholders for whom you draft or plan to draft.   It was a smart move to cut him and bring him back cheap. But he's cheap because nobody else wanted him.  Seems that is who the Jets are signing. Players nobody else seems to want.

All these cheap one year 'rentals'  seem more about saving money than building something.  You aren't building anything by signing cheap injury prone players to one or two year deals.   They are just placeholders for whom you draft or plan to draft.   It was a smart move to cut him and bring him back cheap. But he's cheap because nobody else wanted him.  Seems that is who the Jets are signing. Players nobody else seems to want.

the hopeful spin is that you don't build or get "real" help in free agency.

look at the Packers who have signed 1 free agent Matthew Mulligan. 

the hopeful spin is that you don't build or get "real" help in free agency.

look at the Packers who have signed 1 free agent Matthew Mulligan. 

These days it seems you need to get contributing players early, sign some cheap free agents who can contribute and mentor, and then hope you win.

Because after a few years those cheap young players want to get paid.   Say over the next two years the Jets wind up with 6-7 quality starters from the draft and some other young players they pick up on the cheap who contribute.    THose guys need to contribute early, otherwise you have a situation like a lot of teams where by the time they become good, you have to make choices on who to keep and who not to keep.

It's easy for the Jets at this point because Revis is the only real good player they have who you either sign or don't sign. But if Sanchez, Greene, Keller,  or David Harris and so on were worth big contracts, nobody would really be discussing dumping Revis as a bad or good move.  It would be more like who should they pay and who should they dump.   The Jets just didn't exactly draft so well so the choice is Revis is the only guy worth a damn thing.  You would hope in a few years the Jets are in a situation where they have 5 or 6 great players and need to figure out how to keep them.

But thats the thing now, it seems teams need to win before they wind up losing players.  So if a rookie takes a few years to get started, that might not exactly be a good thing.

Calvin Pace was a solid player for us.  I'm glad he's back.  

I think everyone's butt hurt that he didn't get a ton of sacks, but he made his presence felt.  He was a solid run defender and he understands the defense.  I could see him being the complimentary piece to either Barnes, or some other pass rusher we happen upon.  Let him play two downs, then put a kid like Mingo or Jordan or Jones in there...let our rookie develop by pinning his ears back.  It would ease the transition into the league similar to what we did with Coples last year, like what San Fran did with Aldon Smith, and what teams like Pitt and Baltimore do all of the time. 

Well done IMO. You need a starting roster pre draft so you just go BPA.

It's not magical but it works.

You know who believed in this? Tannenbaum. 

Calvin Pace was a solid player for us.  I'm glad he's back.  

I think everyone's butt hurt that he didn't get a ton of sacks, but he made his presence felt.  He was a solid run defender and he understands the defense.  I could see him being the complimentary piece to either Barnes, or some other pass rusher we happen upon.  Let him play two downs, then put a kid like Mingo or Jordan or Jones in there...let our rookie develop by pinning his ears back.  It would ease the transition into the league similar to what we did with Coples last year, like what San Fran did with Aldon Smith, and what teams like Pitt and Baltimore do all of the time. 

He also racked up FFs (12), stuffs (27) and PDs (11) too...including season highs of 5 and 3 in each (had 6 PDs with Arizona the year before signing). The major issue with him was that he only played 16 games 3 times here and only once in the first three years (his age 28-30 seasons). He missed 4 to suspension in '09 and finished with 8 sacks and then missed 4 to injury in 2010.

I wonder how Andre Smith would feel about RG? There's a ton of RT FAs. Makes me wonder if the team really would consider Howard at LG.

I've chimed in on this before. It's been floated that Howard would excel in the role of OG because of his run blocking. If we were to draft a stronger RT like maybe DJ Fluker/Lane Johnson I could see it working. But recent articles have highlighted how Howard was quietly improving into a top-12 RT in the league last year. Being young, letting him continue to develop might not be such a bad idea.

Good signing.  He was the Jared Jeffries of the Jets; player you'd love to have, but absolutely hate because of his contract.  I've got a feeling people will like the signing more when he's playing for the vet min. 

Additionally, it's a solid signing in that he still holds up quite well against the run and this will allow us to transition our rookie OLB in slowly on passing downs, should be draft one.  (If we fail to land one of the elite guys with our 9th, rumor has it we're extremely high on Cornelius Washington out of Georgia, who is a very intriguing prospect.  Played out of position last year for the bulldogs and could wind up being a steal if we get land him outside the first)

yes i like that kid i think he will be there with our 4th and in a year or two he will be a beast. I think

I wish the Jets wouldn't trade their only great player. in favor of "rebuilding." the league is announcing the schedule soon too bad Jets fans want to know the 2016 schedule. 

It's easy for the Jets at this point because Revis is the only real good player they have who you either sign or don't sign. But if Sanchez, Greene, Keller,  or David Harris and so on were worth big contracts, nobody would really be discussing dumping Revis as a bad or good move.  It would be more like who should they pay and who should they dump.   The Jets just didn't exactly draft so well so the choice is Revis is the only guy worth a damn thing.  You would hope in a few years the Jets are in a situation where they have 5 or 6 great players and need to figure out how to keep them.

Pace is garbage and has been for years. he dissapears for games at a time and never really did what he was broght here for and that was to terrorize QB's.

Vet Minimum ok anything more would be nuts.

In what world was Pace brought in to "terrorize QBs"?  The guy was coming off a 6.5 sack season when he came to the Jets, which was 1 less than his career total in the 4 years prior to that.  Anyone who thought he was going to magically turn into a pass-rushing terror 6 years into his career was completely delusional.

He's far from great and probably never lived up to the contract the Jets gave him (welcome to the world of free agency), but he was a solid starter for the Jets on some fantastic defenses and while not what he once was, wasn't "garbage" even these past couple of years and was still easily the best OLB the Jets had (although that's not saying much, but he was also better than any other LB except perhaps Harris).  He provides the Jets with both some insurance and depth, neither of which is a bad thing.  Of course none of this makes him a long term solution or even changes the Jets need to address the position this year, but it's definitely a step up from what they had.

First and second down they are.  Hopefully their not drafting Mingo at 9

Agree they'll most likely be sitting him, but that's going to be the case for just about any rookie they draft to play OLB.  Even all-world guys like Aldon Smith had their hand held for the vast majority of their first season.  No matter who we draft to play OLB; be it Mingo, Ansah, Jordan, Jones, Werner etc. they are all going to play snaps behind Pace, Barnes and probably even McIntyre.

Pace is just not starting material anymore. His play has diminished gradually over the last couple of years. He was in 94% of the plays last year with 3 sacks. Maybe Mingo and Jordan don't know a thing about playing OLB, but Im sure they can do better than Pace. Even the rookie Coples played at a much superior level than the "All-World" Pace.

Pace is not going to start. The only reason he started last year was cuz we couldn't kick his butt off the team due to salary cap issues.

Archived