My prediction: Nick Foles will be a Jet on draft day.

hotcoles87

Just watching nfl network. See Foles taking a snap in the read option. I think it's bs. No way Kelly wants this guy. I see the eagles making a hard push for geno or ej in the draft. I have a feeling idzik likes nassib but may not want to take him at 9 ( or 13) and might not want to trade back up with the second. I have a feeling that a deal may be in place where if nassib (or maybe its another qb they like) isn't there in the second that we will quickly close a deal for Foles. I think Foles can play and wouldn't mind it one bit. That's my bold prediction for the draft!

To go for Foles or any QB that will cost them something-remember Kevin Kolb got $12 million-they almost have to make a committment to him for more than a year.  The QB's they have now have to play well or they're all gone at the end of the year and they start fresh for 2014.  Pay for Foles, and you'll likely stick with him for at least a couple of years.

They can't pick up Foles because just because they feel Foles is better than who's on the roster now.  You have to believe he can take you to the top, because you won't be starting starting fresh in 2014.

To go for Foles or any QB that will cost them something-remember Kevin Kolb got $12 million-they almost have to make a committment to him for more than a year.  The QB's they have now have to play well or they're all gone at the end of the year and they start fresh for 2014.  Pay for Foles, and you'll likely stick with him for at least a couple of years.

They can't pick up Foles because just because they feel Foles is better than who's on the roster now.  You have to believe he can take you to the top, because you won't be starting starting fresh in 2014.

Foles is signed thru 2015 for $500k, $615k, $660k, respectively. Depending on the pick they'd give up, that's not a huge commitment. Certainly not enough to prevent them from being very aggressive at the QB position in next year's draft if Foles doesn't prove to be the answer after one season.

Foles is signed thru 2015 for $500k, $615k, $660k, respectively. Depending on the pick they'd give up, that's not a huge commitment. Certainly not enough to prevent them from being very aggressive at the QB position in next year's draft if Foles doesn't prove to be the answer after one season.

Reasonable money.  The challenge is we need each and every draft pick to fix our depleted roster.  Yet the threads will be awesome if the Revis trade go's thru for like a 1st, 3rd and a 5th and we use the trade for Foles.  Bitonti will be all," We trade the best defensive player in the league and a thrid of what we get is a stop gap QB?"  JN needs this to happen.  LOL

Foles could have been traded to the Chiefs a couple months ago. The word is he was not available. If he ws it would cost at least a 2nd.  But I think Chip Kelly actually wants to groom him. Remember he was in the Pac12 too and he coached against Foles. The way CHip talks about offense he wants to run like the Patriots an up tempo pro offense where they get alot of plays off. 

Foles could have been traded to the Chiefs a couple months ago. The word is he was not available. If he ws it would cost at least a 2nd.  But I think Chip Kelly actually wants to groom him. Remember he was in the Pac12 too and he coached against Foles. The way CHip talks about offense he wants to run like the Patriots an up tempo pro offense where they get alot of plays off. 

I think if he "wasn't available" at that time, it's because they want to make sure they have a capable long term QB on the roster before trading him away.  This would only happen if they got their hands on Geno or Manual first.  I'm all about building through the draft, and hate trading away picks, but if Nassib was gone, and we could get Foles for a second or less, I'd do it in a second.  His contract is next to nothing, especially after Philly eats the gauranteed money. 

I think if he "wasn't available" at that time, it's because they want to make sure they have a capable long term QB on the roster before trading him away.  This would only happen if they got their hands on Geno or Manual first.  I'm all about building through the draft, and hate trading away picks, but if Nassib was gone, and we could get Foles for a second or less, I'd do it in a second.  His contract is next to nothing, especially after Philly eats the gauranteed money. 

Chris Steuber who is a philly guy was on the Jet Nation podcast 2 weeks ago also said he wasn't available. It doesn't really make sense to say no to a 2013 2nd rounder, then draft Geno or EJ, then take a 2014 conditional after the draft. if Chip Kelly didn't like Nick Foles he'd know by now. He will have less leverage after the draft, when presumably teams will try to solve their Qb issues. 

and as a side note Nick foles might actually be a higher ranked prospect than Geno or EJ this year, if he was in this draft. He's 6'6" accurate and can spin the ball. I don't know how either player is a real upgrade. I'd rather have Foles than Geno. 

Chris Steuber who is a philly guy was on the Jet Nation podcast 2 weeks ago also said he wasn't available. It doesn't really make sense to say no to a 2013 2nd rounder, then draft Geno or EJ, then take a 2014 conditional after the draft. if Chip Kelly didn't like Nick Foles he'd know by now. He will have less leverage after the draft, when presumably teams will try to solve their Qb issues. 

and as a side note Nick foles might actually be a higher ranked prospect than Geno or EJ this year, if he was in this draft. He's 6'6" accurate and can spin the ball. I don't know how either player is a real upgrade. I'd rather have Foles than Geno. 

The flaw in assuming that the Eagles will have a fire sale for Foles because he doesn't fit the spread that was run at Oregon is not understanding Chip Kelly's background and MO.   Kelly has run a variety of offenses over his career, including typical pro versions.  The fact is, Kelly was heavily influenced by Rich Rodriguez's use of the spread -- it was never Kelly's own "trademark" system -- it just happened to fit his personnel perfectly and have great success during Kelly's tenure.  He is not married to it.

Anyone who thinks the Eagles will run a plug and play version of the Oregon spread is badly mistaken.  And this is where the "Foles doesn't fit" jibber jabber comes from.  They will try to be very uptempo, and while they will likely throw in some elements of the spread, it will still be an offense where Foles' size and skills fits in.  

Can't I have some pre-draft hope of predicting something crazy without you guys showering me with things that make sense? 

It's certainly not a probable prediction, but one I believe could happen.  Regardless of system and all that, Foles was inherited, and Chip Kelley might not want to run his team with an inherited QB.  Phily has shown interest  in several QB's.  My guess is if they drafted one of them in the first 2 rounds, they want that guy to be the future of the team.  Vick stays as teh Vet stop gap, Foles gets traded mid draft for a second.

I would absolutely take Foles over Smith by the way.

I think if the Eagles do something in the draft that seems to make Foles expendable, they really have no incentive to do anything with him until next year's draft.  If they bring in Geno, having Geno, Foles and Vick is a good problem to have during a long NFL season.  It gives them additional protection against injury and an additional chance to evaluate Foles. Then after the season, they can still probably get a nice return for him from next year's draft.

Archived