PFT: Jets Permission For Revis to Visit Bucs

flgreen

They're not even a threat for their own division, never mind the Super Bowl.  At best they're hoping third place in the NFC South is good enough to take the second wild card spot, or that one of Brees or Ryan gets knocked out for the year.

Today, independent of Revis and the picks being traded for him, Tampa has a better team than the Jets.

Imagine the Jets without Ferguson and Mangold.  That was Tampa last year.  Those two also represent the only positions on offense where we are better.  TE is a draw since neither one of us has one that (today) is obviously worthy of starting.

We're better than they are at two OL positions, two DL positions, one LB position (though not by much), and the non-Revis CB position.  But if we kept Revis then Cromartie would be out the door next year anyway (and may still happen without Revis here).

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm of the opinion that this probably needed to be done but I can't understand the excitement over it.  The best player in franchise history is getting traded, probably for the 13th pick in a meh draft and some scraps, because ownership/management were incapable nincompoops and couldn't lock him up long term when they had the chance.

No corner is worth 15 million a year, but it stings when one of the best players in the league is getting shipped off and Mark Sanchez is still going to be cashing his checks after Revis pees on him in week 1.

Huh?  So one on hand you state "no corner is worth 15 million a year", yet at the same time are whining for not caving into the demands of a corner who wanted that much money, while coming off of an injury no less?  So which is it?

i agree that ON PAPER, Bucs look pretty nasty. It'll all come down to Freeman. Can't hate on the fact they think it's his year and theyre cashing in their chips. Jets actually did the same thing just too early with Sanchez.

If Freeman can perform even at a top 10 level, barring injuries, the roster is filled with talent.

The irony is that if Freeman steps up, they have to re-sign him to a new deal next year and won't have the money to do it without some serious paring down elsewhere.

We'll see what we end up with, but whatever we got it's the best offer possible from any NFL franchise after shopping him for about 2 months.  It was no secret that Revis was available and still only 1 team was interested in giving up anything for the privilege of signing him to a ludicrous contract.

This is completely rational and on point.  Still, this being the Jets and everything the chances are we wind up with a servicable guard and a mediocre tight end and Revis goes to the hall of fame.  Just a bummer.

They're not even a threat for their own division, never mind the Super Bowl. At best they're hoping third place in the NFC South is good enough to take the second wild card spot, or that one of Brees or Ryan gets knocked out for the year.

If you're the Bucs you have to feel that you've been developing Freeman for this year/moment. It's actually good timing for them, IMO, to take a shot.

We're ALL the same jackasses laughing at Flacco last off season. Member that??? Yeah.

Today, independent of Revis and the picks being traded for him, Tampa has a better team than the Jets.

Imagine the Jets without Ferguson and Mangold.  That was Tampa last year.  Those two also represent the only positions on offense where we are better.  TE is a draw since neither one of us has one that (today) is obviously worthy of starting.

We're better than they are at two OL positions, two DL positions, one LB position (though not by much), and the non-Revis CB position.  But if we kept Revis then Cromartie would be out the door next year anyway (and may still happen without Revis here).

So what you're trying to say is... Super Bowl here they come??

Huh?  So one on hand you state "no corner is worth 15 million a year", yet at the same time are whining for not caving into the demands of a corner who wanted that much money, while coming off of an injury no less?  So which is it?

I'm whining about the fact that the Jets' best player is getting traded and teh sad that it gives me even though I understand that it was probably the best move.  Forgive my sentimentality.  

I'm whining about the fact that the Jets' best player is getting traded and teh sad that it gives me even though I understand that it was probably the best move.  Forgive my sentimentality.  

Fair enough, you just lost me when you were complaining about the Jets alleged incompetence due to them not giving him the contract which you didn't feel he should receive.  I can totally get why people may think the situation sucks and that they'd rather it not happen if given the choice.  That said, my position is that I can't see any reason to take issue with the Jets due to this move unless you truly believe Revis is worth that amount of money (which I most certainly do not).  I'd have more of an issue if the Jets had given him the $15 mil/year with $50 million guaranteed that the rumors are suggesting.

The irony is that if Freeman steps up, they have to re-sign him to a new deal next year and won't have the money to do it without some serious paring down elsewhere.

Could be a major reason why they seem to be cashing in this year. It's like, ok, is Freeman our guy or not. This is probably his make or break. I'm sure thy have a way or strategy of paying him 15M per if he is. If not, my guess is they're not worrying about that. Cross that bridge sorta thing. I dunno. I can see why they're going for it now though. They do have a stronger roster then their record last year. And it's the NFL. You never know year to year.

Wow....this is big news.

I am not sure why the JETS would leak it or allow the Bucs to leak it. That should have been one of the pre-conditions of his visit. If he fails the JETS Have an egg on their faces.

But if he passes he is gone. The compensation has been agreed on. I think its going to the 1st, 3rd and another pick maybe in next season's draft. Not as good as you should get for HOF player but with his injury issue I guess you can live with it!

No.  I'm saying I think today - independent of Revis - they clearly have a better team than the Jets.

I know, I was simply being facetious.  I absolutely agree with you, but I guess that just doesn't really mean anything to me.  There's far more teams out there who are better than the Jets than not, and plenty of them still suck anyway.  My initial point being, even if they're better than the Jets and what they were last year, it doesn't mean they've got what it takes to pull ahead of the Falcons or Saints, never mind the rest of the NFC's top teams.

Wow....this is big news.

I am not sure why the JETS would leak it or allow the Bucs to leak it. That should have been one of the pre-conditions of his visit. If he fails the JETS Have an egg on their faces.

But if he passes he is gone. The compensation has been agreed on. I think its going to the 1st, 3rd and another pick maybe in next season's draft. Not as good as you should get for HOF player but with his injury issue I guess you can live with it!

If Revis fails the physical the Jets will be in a better position to lock him up for far less, since the only team that was theoretically willing to meet his insane demands has now backed off.  If a trade doesn't get done, it's ok for it to get leaked out that the reason was Revis failing a physical rather than Idzik failing in negotiating.

If Revis fails the physical the Jets will be in a better position to lock him up for far less, since the only team that was theoretically willing to meet his insane demands has now backed off. If a trade doesn't get done, it's ok for it to get leaked out that the reason was Revis failing a physical rather than Idzik failing in negotiating.

Yep. Well said!

Fair enough, you just lost me when you were complaining about the Jets alleged incompetence due to them not giving him the contract which you didn't feel he should receive.  I can totally get why people may think the situation sucks and that they'd rather it not happen if given the choice.  That said, my position is that I can't see any reason to take issue with the Jets due to this move unless you truly believe Revis is worth that amount of money (which I most certainly do not).  I'd have more of an issue if the Jets had given him the $15 mil/year with $50 million guaranteed that the rumors are suggesting.

Yeah, what I was getting at was Tannenbaum's "band-aid" and how it blew up in his face.  If franchising Revis was an option next year we're looking at a different situation.  They could have him play out this year and prove he's healthy and thereby get rid of the health question and probably receive better compensation if they did decide to trade him after the season.  Or the newly depressed going price for corners would have made it practical to resign him.   

Wow....this is big news.

It's impossible to keep something like this quiet, no matter how much you want to.  Way too many people involved who knows what's going on between the two teams and the player (and his agents, the most likely loudmouths).  When you're talking about an actual visiting player, that number is only growing.

If Revis fails the physical the Jets will be in a better position to lock him up for far less, since the only team that was theoretically willing to meet his insane demands has now backed off.  If a trade doesn't get done, it's ok for it to get leaked out that the reason was Revis failing a physical rather than Idzik failing in negotiating.

i dont see it that way. The bucks were the only team willing to give up picks and give him his contract demands. He hits free agency next year teams will offer him over 10m still

Yeah, what I was getting at was Tannenbaum's "band-aid" and how it blew up in his face.  If franchising Revis was an option next year we're looking at a different situation.  They could have him play out this year and prove he's healthy and thereby get rid of the health question and probably receive better compensation if they did decide to trade him after the season.  Or the newly depressed going price for corners would have made it practical to resign him.   

I gotcha.  Tanny is a 'tard, you'll get no argument from me there, and he handled the last go around of this situation pretty awfully.  Given the crappy circumstances, I think Idzik has handled this as well as could have been hoped for.

It's impossible to keep something like this quiet, no matter how much you want to.  Way too many people involved who knows what's going on between the two teams and the player (and his agents, the most likely loudmouths).  When you're talking about an actual visiting player, that number is only growing.

I am not sure its impossible to keep it hush hush. Maybe difficult. Now I am no lawyer and i do not play one on TeeVee but a NDA agreement signed by the Bucs should have the JETS covered.

It's impossible to keep something like this quiet, no matter how much you want to. Way too many people involved who knows what's going on between the two teams and the player (and his agents, the most likely loudmouths). When you're talking about an actual visiting player, that number is only growing.

Tampa wants to and has to sell this as an event to their fan base. No way is it in their best interest to keep it quiet. They need to have Revis standing there in a Bucs cap next to Glazer and Schiano to distract from the fact that they just sent all their picks to New York.

i dont see it that way. The bucks were the only team willing to give up picks and give him his contract demands. He hits free agency next year teams will offer him over 10m still

That doesn't explain how are the Jets worse off by this being leaked as opposed to it not being leaked.  You're just describing a potential predicament, not how this leak has made a potential predicament worse.  Unless I'm missing something.

If he fails and cannot play like Revis of the past would you still want him ?

The physical was already passed this week. Revis is essentially going down there for the photo op and to hold up the putrid red jersey later tonight.

Yeah, pretty much.  That and so they can cover their asses from not catching too much sh*t from the media if they didn't go through this whole process first (even despite having already seen his MRI results).

I gotcha.  Tanny is a 'tard, you'll get no argument from me there, and he handled the last go around of this situation pretty awfully.  Given the crappy circumstances, I think Idzik has handled this as well as could have been hoped for.

I agree.  He was patient and it at least appears that Tampa was twisting and agonizing over the compensation and finally met Idzik at least halfway.  We'll see how much he was able to wring out of them.  The other important aspect of this is to not **** the dog on the picks.  

If franchising Revis was possible then Revis would have held out before the 2012 season (and/or he would be holding out again right now).  That was the trade-off, and I think it was a good one. Each side gave up something.  

- Jets give up ability to franchise tag him if (when) he opts out after year 4.

- Revis gives up ability to hold out because doing so removes his ability to opt out after year 4.

It is imaginary where we get Revis trapped into playing out all 4 years with no holdouts AND retain the ability to franchise tag him.  Absent the above being agreed upon, the option for the Jets was to keep paying him more and more after his bi-annual holdout or to not keep paying him more and more and let him sit out a season like his uncle did.

Costello reporting the rumor is we get the #13 this year, all other picks next year. Could work out, assuming the 2014 picks are conditional on play time. Tampa covers their ass in case Revis is crippled, but we get higher picks if Revis plays 16 games?

That doesn't explain how are the Jets worse off by this being leaked as opposed to it not being leaked.  You're just describing a potential predicament, not how this leak has made a potential predicament worse.  Unless I'm missing something.

wah? I was responding to you saying revis failing his physical will lead to a better situation of signing him because the only other team doesnt want him anymore

If he fails and cannot play like Revis of the past would you still want him ?

How are the Jets worse off that it's leaked? That was my question since that was your assertion.

What otherwise-avoidable predicament would they be in had they kept this hush-hush?

I would argue it makes no difference. A team can't give his player permission to talk to and go through a physical with another team and keep it secret.

Archived