PFT: Jets Permission For Revis to Visit Bucs

flgreen

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

myers article if the jets do that "a team desperate for a marketable player and headlines over pays on an epic scale becuase nobody wants to play here, an when you consider his injury history, hold out history and position he plays, dumb move"

myers article if the bucs do that "a team that understand in a QB driven league you need players to slow them down, proving the jets didn't understand his value and the game of football"

Spot on, really.

PFT also has this today: 

Jets want to trade down from No. 9
Posted by Mike Florio on April 21, 2013, 6:23 AM EDT
350x-175-e1359150239670.jpg?w=209AP

At a time when some think that the amount of movement in the first round of the draft will be unprecedented, count the Jets among the teams that want to move down.

Per Rich Cimini of ESPNNewYork.com, Jets G.M. John Idzik has “sent out word” of his interest in sliding deeper into the first round, in the hopes of acquiring extra picks.

It makes sense, given that the Jets have plenty of needs — and that the draft largely is regarded as flat in talent from No. 1 through No. 25.

With plenty of teams wanting to trade down, the question becomes whether enough teams will be willing to trade up, and what it will cost to climb.  Despite the perception that the talent is equivalent, some teams may decide to try to fill specific needs, or they may fall in love with a specific player.

The Jets could also be “trading up” in a roundabout way, giving up cornerback Darrelle Revis to acquire the 13th overall pick in the draft, and likely at least one more draft pick in 2013.

It seems like we'll get the 13, if we're lucky. Meaning we replace Revis with a younger, inferior version of himself in Xavier Rhodes. We save a lot of money for the future (as opposed to extending him), but for what purpose? So we can sign the next Mario Williams?

"Revis isn't the kind of guy you build around"? Did anyone let Tampa Bay know that? Does anyone actually think Tampa Bay isn't a team that is still under construction?

Revis for Rhodes is not an equal trade. Throw in a 5th round pick? Oh golly, so excited. Who is behind this idea that good teams are built with 5th round picks? What teams are built that way?

For those talking trade down, both the Rams' two first rounders and the Vikings' two first rounders are worth more than 9 on the trade value chart (the Rams' by a mid second round pick which is a huge difference, the Vikings' by a late third which is still pretty significant). Given the top ten is supposedly weak this year and if anything the trade value chart supposedly overvalues high draft picks, and I don't think either team would give both of their firsts for 9 alone.

However, if the Vikes want to move up the following trade is an exact match on the value chart (assuming I can do mental math, which is a bit of an assumption):

Jets give:

#9, #39

Vikes give:

#23, #25, #52

I'd hit it.

It seems like we'll get the 13, if we're lucky. Meaning we replace Revis with a younger, inferior version of himself in Xavier Rhodes. We save a lot of money for the future (as opposed to extending him), but for what purpose? So we can sign the next Mario Williams?

"Revis isn't the kind of guy you build around"? Did anyone let Tampa Bay know that? Does anyone actually think Tampa Bay isn't a team that is still under construction?

Revis for Rhodes is not an equal trade. Throw in a 5th round pick? Oh golly, so excited. Who is behind this idea that good teams are built with 5th round picks? What teams are built that way?

The Jets will not draft Xavier Rhodes.

I admit if Revis signs for something like 9-10 mil a year I will be really disappointed in the Jets because it they didn't seem to put any effort into resigning him (at least publicly).  If he signs for 14+ mil a year I will be glad we traded him because its just not worth it for a CB.  I hope the compensation is good and the Jets use the picks wisely. it REALLY makes me nervous Terry Bradway still has a job in the organization.

For those talking trade down, both the Rams' two first rounders and the Vikings' two first rounders are worth more than 9 on the trade value chart (the Rams' by a mid second round pick which is a huge difference, the Vikings' by a late third which is still pretty significant). Given the top ten is supposedly weak this year and if anything the trade value chart supposedly overvalues high draft picks, and I don't think either team would give both of their firsts for 9 alone.

However, if the Vikes want to move up the following trade is an exact match on the value chart (assuming I can do mental math, which is a bit of an assumption):

Jets give:

#9, #39

Vikes give:

#23, #25, #52

I'd hit it.

The problem with the Vikes is that they're rumored to want to move up for a wideout and now the only rumored WR to go top-fifteen is Austin, with Patterson falling hard. It's rumored he was actually texting during interviews, and coming off like an absolute turd otherwise. LOL. The trade down will likely happen with a team who falls in love with Lane Johnson.

Jets | Have agreed to compensation in Darrelle Revis trade 
Sun, 21 Apr 2013 08:02:23 -0700

The New York Jets have agreed to the compensation in a trade with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers for CB Darrelle Revis (knee). Revis has to pass a physical before the trade can be finalized.

Comment | Source: Yahoo! Sports - Jason Cole | Share: facebook.png 

Read more: http://www.kffl.com/hotw/nfl#ixzz2R72ouOoO

Jets | Looking to trade down in first round 

Sun, 21 Apr 2013 08:27:35 -0700

The New York Jets have informed teams that they are interested in trading down in the first round of the 2013 NFL Draft in order to acquire more picks.

Comment | Source: ESPNNewYork.com - Rich Cimini | Share: facebook.png 

Read more: http://www.kffl.com/hotw/nfl#ixzz2R72wPwSj

I wish that is true. Would confirm that this trade was a no-brainer. But I find it hard to believe now, as opposed to when Cimini leaked a similar number in January, since Tampa's been the only suitor.

Was chatting about this with a friend the other day. If Clay Matthews got 5 years/$66m/$31m gtd., how does anyone justify Revis at $15m/$50 gtd?

The problem with the Vikes is that they're rumored to want to move up for a wideout and now the only rumored WR to go top-fifteen is Austin, with Patterson falling hard. It's rumored he was actually texting during interviews, and coming off like an absolute turd otherwise. LOL. The trade down will likely happen with a team who falls in love with Lane Johnson.

I'd be stunned if Johnson makes it to 9. He's probably going top 6, if not almost certainly top 7. Tackles are going to come off the board early and often since it's a valued position and lots of teams need them. I've read corner for the Vikes too, so it could be Austin or Milliner. Obviously it's wishful thinking. Falcons could make sense to move up for Milliner too, that'd require a future 1.

I'd be stunned if Johnson makes it to 9. He's probably going top 6, if not almost certainly top 7. Tackles are going to come off the board early and often since it's a valued position and lots of teams need them. I've read corner for the Vikes too, so it could be Austin or Milliner.

It'll be interesting, for sure. The tackle run will shape the first round. I saw a rumor floated that DJ Fluker might go top ten now. It'll be crazy to watch.

He's #1. Stlll Gotta trade him though given his contract demands and the abortion Tanny left us with

Even without the Tannenbaum mess, if he's at or near the rumored numbers of $15M/year with $50M guaranteed - and we'll find out very soon - then there is no choice.  Just be thankful Tampa is willing to pay what no one else would.

And I agree he's the best player the franchise has ever had.  The problem is he wants to be paid like he's the most valuable player the franchise has ever had, which he is not.

Was chatting about this with a friend the other day. If Clay Matthews got 5 years/$66m/$31m gtd., how does anyone justify Revis at $15m/$50 gtd?

You can't.  Not for the Jets anyway.  The only way to justify it is if you're a team like Tampa who has convinced themselves they're set enough everywhere else they need to be for the next few years except at CB where Revis now starts over their #2 guy (Leonard Johnson?) or whoever they might have otherwise drafted this year.  They think they've got a winner right now with Revis being the last missing ingredient.

If they win the SB they will have been correct.  And even with that it would still have been the right move for the Jets.

It'll be interesting, for sure. The tackle run will shape the first round. I saw a rumor floated that DJ Fluker might go top ten now. It'll be crazy to watch.

Yeah it's definitely going to be interesting. Hopefully the tackles go high, QB's go higher than most think (which still seems likely to me), and pass rushers/Austin get pushed down. I'd really like them to secure Tavon and if somehow they've still got 2 of Mingo/Ansah/Jordan sitting on the board I think it's easier to pluck the offensive playmaker at 9 and be comfortable your pass rusher is going to slip to 13.

I've been so busy with work I haven't had the chance to pay attention to per draft chatter- is this a deep draft filled with talent enough to fill all the holes we have?

It lacks flash, but it's got a lot of guys in it that can play. If the Jets draft well, particularly in rounds 2-5, where all the TE, WR, and LB depth is, they could be in good shape by 2015.

Even without the Tannenbaum mess, if he's at or near the rumored numbers of $15M/year with $50M guaranteed - and we'll find out very soon - then there is no choice.  Just be thankful Tampa is willing to pay what no one else would.

And I agree he's the best player the franchise has ever had.  The problem is he wants to be paid like he's the most valuable player the franchise has ever had, which he is not.

You can't.  Not for the Jets anyway.  The only way to justify it is if you're a team like Tampa who has convinced themselves they're set enough everywhere else they need to be for the next few years except at CB where Revis now starts over their #2 guy (Leonard Johnson?) or whoever they might have otherwise drafted this year.  They think they've got a winner right now with Revis being the last missing ingredient.

If they win the SB they will have been correct.  And even with that it would still have been the right move for the Jets.

Agreed, although this board would reach whole new levels of being unreadable if that were to happen.

You can't. Not for the Jets anyway. The only way to justify it is if you're a team like Tampa who has convinced themselves they're set enough everywhere else they need to be for the next few years except at CB where Revis now starts over their #2 guy (Leonard Johnson?) or whoever they might have otherwise drafted this year. They think they've got a winner right now with Revis being the last missing ingredient.

If they win the SB they will have been correct. And even with that it would still have been the right move for the Jets.

Even with Revis, this entire Tampa team is dependent on Freeman becoming Joe Flacco next year, which is a huge gamble, IMO.

PFT also has this today: 

Jets want to trade down from No. 9
Posted by Mike Florio on April 21, 2013, 6:23 AM EDT
350x-175-e1359150239670.jpg?w=209AP

At a time when some think that the amount of movement in the first round of the draft will be unprecedented, count the Jets among the teams that want to move down.

Per Rich Cimini of ESPNNewYork.com, Jets G.M. John Idzik has “sent out word” of his interest in sliding deeper into the first round, in the hopes of acquiring extra picks.

It makes sense, given that the Jets have plenty of needs — and that the draft largely is regarded as flat in talent from No. 1 through No. 25.

With plenty of teams wanting to trade down, the question becomes whether enough teams will be willing to trade up, and what it will cost to climb.  Despite the perception that the talent is equivalent, some teams may decide to try to fill specific needs, or they may fall in love with a specific player.

The Jets could also be “trading up” in a roundabout way, giving up cornerback Darrelle Revis to acquire the 13th overall pick in the draft, and likely at least one more draft pick in 2013.

Idzik and Ape. The perfect combination!

Archived