PFT: Jets Permission For Revis to Visit Bucs

flgreen

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah it's definitely going to be interesting. Hopefully the tackles go high, QB's go higher than most think (which still seems likely to me), and pass rushers/Austin get pushed down. I'd really like them to secure Tavon and if somehow they've still got 2 of Mingo/Ansah/Jordan sitting on the board I think it's easier to pluck the offensive playmaker at 9 and be comfortable your pass rusher is going to slip to 13.

The way the board is shaping up, I'd almost rather trade the 9 than the 13, if only to squeeze a little more value out of the return. Austin will be great, IMO, but he's not a player that I'd regret watching get picked before us too much. Thirteen gives you the Eifert, Cooper, probably Warmack, and probably Mingo to choose from, and then you can draft DeAndre Hopkins or Justin Hunter with the 20-ish pick.

I agree with the Jets decision to trade Revis, and I am glad it is going to get done.  They have too many holes to fill and need more picks, and 2 holdouts from this poor, mistreated player is enough.  We simply cannot pay a CB $15MM per year.   I hope we get 3 picks out of it, including a #1 and #3. 

The way the board is shaping up, I'd almost rather trade the 9 than the 13, if only to squeeze a little more value out of the return. Austin will be great, IMO, but he's not a player that I'd regret watching get picked before us too much. Thirteen gives you the Eifert, Cooper, probably Warmack, and probably Mingo to choose from, and then you can draft DeAndre Hopkins or Justin Hunter with the 20-ish pick.

I'm not as optimistic about Warmack and Mingo being there at 13. I've got the Bills grabbing Warmack at #8 to replace Levitre and Mingo going to the Eagles. Maybe if they truly are both gone by #9 we trade down then.

It lacks flash, but it's got a lot of guys in it that can play. If the Jets draft well, particularly in rounds 2-5, where all the TE, WR, and LB depth is, they could be in good shape by 2015.

Agreed. The key is that the Jets HAVE to draft well this year with the extra picks.

I'm not as optimistic about Warmack and Mingo being there at 13. I've got the Bills grabbing Warmack at #8 to replace Levitre and Mingo going to the Eagles. Maybe if they truly are both gone by #9 we trade down then.

I like the idea of either Mingo and Warmack or Cooper at 13 or Warmack and then Austin or Patterson at 13. Then you hope Eifert falls to 39.

After much speculation, it appears Darrelle Revis is headed to Tampa Bay after all.

49844_100002416254668_1371357499_q.jpg

You read this

The New York Jets have agreed in principle on a trade to send star cornerback Darrelle Revis to Tampa Bay for undisclosed draft picks and the Buccaneers have agreed to a long-term contract that will make Revis one of the highest paid non-quarterbacks in the NFL, according to multiple sources. 

Revis boarded a private jet Sunday morning to fly to Tampa Bay for an official physical, although the Buccaneers' medical staff is already aware of the results of an MRI exam Revis took April 15 when he returned to the Jets’ offseason program. Assuming the physical goes well, a final agreement could be reached by Sunday night or Monday morning.

[Related: Terrell Owens angling to come back with Chicago Bears]

“There’s a .001 chance this deal doesn’t happen, so I don’t want to say it’s done,” one source said. “There’s always a chance something could go wrong, but it’s unlikely.”

The Jets gave Revis permission to visit the Buccaneers on Sunday morning after reaching an agreement with Tampa Bay on the trade portion of the transaction.

bf88f021-be97-4479-869c-5947ef695f16_keyThe Bucs hope Darrelle Revis brings a title like ex-Jet Keyshawn Johnson did. (Getty)

As for the contract, the Bucs are well aware that Revis is seeking a deal worth in the range of $15 million to $16 million per year. Revis’ agents, Neil Schwartz and Jonathan Feinsod, have told the Jets on multiple occasions that their client is seeking a deal in line with what players such as defensive end Mario Williams (six years, $96 million) and wide receivers Calvin Johnson (eight years, $150.5 million) and Larry Fitzgerald (eight years, $113 million) have received.

The Jets were in a bind for two reasons. First, owner Woody Johnson is not interested in paying Revis what he wants. Second, Revis can’t be franchised after the 2013 season, when he can opt out of the final two years of his contract.

Tampa Bay, which won a Super Bowl two years after making a similarly splashy trade to get Keyshawn Johnson from the Jets in 2000, have both the salary-cap space (the team is $28 million under the cap) and the experience with Schwartz and Feinsod. The Bucs signed wide receiver Vincent Jackson to a five-year, $55.5 million deal last season. Jackson is represented by Schwartz and Feinsod.

The teams have been working on the trade since the NFL scouting combine in February.

Related NFL video from Yahoo! Sports

I think there are a ton of scenarios in the top ten that are all equally plausible, but I think a few things will definitely happen:

1. Locks to go top ten: Fisher, Joeckel, Ansah, Jordan, Floyd, Milliner. That's six slots.

2. The other four slots--IMO--will go to:

a. Geno Smith (I think the Eagles will take him or another team will move up for him)

b. Star Louteleleileu

c. Tavon Austin

d. Lane Johnson

As if the Bucs are hands down a better team than us as it stands?

I don't care about the Bucs, I care about the Jets. The Bucs can keep chasing their tails for 50 years for all I care. Investing in a lockdown corner when the rest of your team is flawed is stupid. The Bucs need to make their own call on that.

Gary Myers "thinks" he's getting $50 mil guaranteed.

What impresses me is Myers reasoning for being against the trade.  "You don't trade your best player, period.  Unless it is a Herschel Walker type deal."  And the reasons, Gary?  He never gives any.  So I guess you just don't.

I would think "elite player in his prime" is enough of a reason to not make the trade, but I am no expert. Turns out you trade him and wait for the future like such landmark franchises as the Royals (Carlos Beltran) and Pirates (let Bonds hit FA) have done. 

I think there are a ton of scenarios in the top ten that are all equally plausible, but I think a few things will definitely happen:

1. Locks to go top ten: Fisher, Joeckel, Ansah, Jordan, Floyd, Milliner. That's six slots.

2. The other four slots--IMO--will go to:

a. Geno Smith (I think the Eagles will take him or another team will move up for him)

b. Star Louteleleileu

c. Tavon Austin

d. Lane Johnson

I think a lot of things are contingent on Floyd being projected to the Raiders; there was a lot of steam, especially from Jeremiah, that the Raiders are very high on Floyd and that he's a consensus top 5 pick. However, just recently there have been rumors that if the Raiders go OT or in a different direction he could slide out of the top 10, which I think would open up some moving around.   

All in all, from some of what I'm hearing on here, from a team that so desperately needs speed, skill players and to put points on the board, if we come away with an OG, Safety or CB to replace the all-pro we just had, I will literally punt a baby...that was holding a puppy.

I would think "elite player in his prime" is enough of a reason to not make the trade, but I am no expert. Turns out you trade him and wait for the future like such landmark franchises as the Royals (Carlos Beltran) and Pirates (let Bonds hit FA) have done.

Yes. Just like the Royals and Pirates.

Shouldn't you and Bit be sitting cross-legged around a bowl of punch pretty soon?

I don't care about the Bucs, I care about the Jets. The Bucs can keep chasing their tails for 50 years for all I care. Investing in a lockdown corner when the rest of your team is flawed is stupid. The Bucs need to make their own call on that.

Their team isn't all that flawed. They're a playoff contender now and with their additions and possibly Revis, a definite Super Bowl threat.

I'm of the opinion that this probably needed to be done but I can't understand the excitement over it.  The best player in franchise history is getting traded, probably for the 13th pick in a meh draft and some scraps, because ownership/management were incapable nincompoops and couldn't lock him up long term when they had the chance.

No corner is worth 15 million a year, but it stings when one of the best players in the league is getting shipped off and Mark Sanchez is still going to be cashing his checks after Revis pees on him in week 1.

sure.  especially with the memory of the 5 Super Bowls we have won with him still so fresh.

Their team isn't all that flawed. They're a playoff contender now and with their additions and possibly Revis, a definite Super Bowl threat.

They're not even a threat for their own division, never mind the Super Bowl.  At best they're hoping third place in the NFC South is good enough to take the second wild card spot, or that one of Brees or Ryan gets knocked out for the year.

Idzik for Prez

We'll see what we end up with, but whatever we got it's the best offer possible from any NFL franchise after shopping him for about 2 months.  It was no secret that Revis was available and still only 1 team was interested in giving up anything for the privilege of signing him to a ludicrous contract.

i agree that ON PAPER, Bucs look pretty nasty. It'll all come down to Freeman. Can't hate on the fact they think it's his year and theyre cashing in their chips. Jets actually did the same thing just too early with Sanchez.

If Freeman can perform even at a top 10 level, barring injuries, the roster is filled with talent.

Archived