Costello has seen enough. Ready to annoint Eugeno the starter.

Pac

I was talking to a couple of West Virginia fans on Saturday night who told me not to get my hopes up about Geno being a great pro, that so much of his success was because of Tavon Austin.

Me:  "He's got to be better than Sanchez."

WVU guy:  ".........Ok, good point."

Make it all the more painful that we were one slot away from getting Austin, too. Damn!

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pretty sure his point was that the Jets would be eating $6 million of Sanchez's contract, which is what might be enough to drive a team to have any interest in trading for him, not the other way around.  I'm sure the Jets would still be able to get nothing more than a late rounder / conditional pick at most, if anything at all.  If there's a coach out there who thinks Sanchez has a chance to turn it around, you just never know, but it's certainly far from a sure thing no matter what they do.

If you're right, then that would certainly help matters, but I still would be shocked if any team was willing to give up a draft pick, even a low one, for Sanchez, even if the Jets ate his whole salary.

The reason why Geno fell to rd 2 are the same reasons why he really could use a year to sit and learn. If they play him too soon and he fails, he's Jimmy Clausen. and next year they are looking for a Cam Newton.  Barring injury David Garrard should be the guy while Geno learns. 

Jimmy Clausen could have sat for 10 years, been coached by the best OC and QB Coach in the history of the game and still would suck.  He makes Sanchez look like a HOFer.

Anointing Geno king after watching him run around in shorts is awesome. Go Geno go, you are a much better player than we saw on TV last year. The rookie mini-camp and those early season WVU games against those football power houses are what I'm basing my opinion on.

Really Costello?

The reason why Geno fell to rd 2 are the same reasons why he really could use a year to sit and learn. If they play him too soon and he fails, he's Jimmy Clausen. and next year they are looking for a Cam Newton.  Barring injury David Garrard should be the guy while Geno learns. 

I think people on this board want Geno to see time so that we don't miss out on some great QB in the next draft without knowing what Geno can do.  Believe me, if we have a shot at the next John Elway, some second round QB is not going to stop us from drafting him.  From what I have seen thus far of the guys in the draft next year, there are no John Elways.  The biggest fallacy going is that next year is a great QB draft.  It may turn out to be, but at this point the jury is still out on a lot of the guys who are eligible.

Who runs the jets D the last 3 yrs Rex or petitione ? Same in Philly of who runs the offense!

Pettine. That is why you can find articles about Rex going back to installing the defense and running it right now. A lot is being made of Rex making efforts to go back to actively running the D.

The biggest fallacy going is that next year is a great QB draft.  It may turn out to be, but at this point the jury is still out on a lot of the guys who are eligible.

compared to this year, it's much better. 

I personally like that kid out of West Virginia everybody is saying he could be the number one QB.. I hope the Jets can get him without trading up or expending extra picks. Oh wait we got him in the second round! Lol you guys need to give Geno a chance before proclaiming him a bust or lost case and looking for another QB. I have faith that he will look good running the west coast because he has the accuracy , mobility and arm strength necessar to succeed

Lol you guys need to give Geno a chance before proclaiming him a bust or lost case and looking for another QB. I have faith that he will look good running the west coast because he has the accuracy , mobility and arm strength necessar to succeed

I have the same faith in Geno Smith, that I had in Kellen Clemens. 

This time last year, I would have taken Geno Smith or Matt Barkley over nearly anyone in the 2014 draft as an NFL ready pro style NFL QB.  The point is, you take a QB whenever you can and worry about tomorrow when it comes.  People are all ga ga over Boyd, Fales, Bridgewater...let's see how they play and how they fare after the scrutiny this class came under.  Heck, Murray and Boyd are short and the others have arm strength questions that need to play out.

This time last year, I would have taken Geno Smith or Matt Barkley over nearly anyone in the 2014 draft as an NFL ready pro style NFL QB.  The point is, you take a QB whenever you can and worry about tomorrow when it comes.  People are all ga ga over Boyd, Fales, Bridgewater...let's see how they play and how they fare after the scrutiny this class came under.  Heck, Murray and Boyd are short and the others have arm strength questions that need to play out.

Good points.  There don't appear to be any Luck/RG3 slam dunks in next year's draft.  The class overall might well be stronger but no one can assume at this time that we're "missing out" on some sure-thing because we took Geno. 

King should have written that the Jets would eat $6 mil of Sanchez' contract to dump him if any team in the NFL was interested. 

If the Jets had a trade partner Sanchez would be gone by now. They need to wait until the summer for teams to get a look at young players and mediocre starters before they will make a play on a Sanchez. 

Why would a team trade for Sanchez when they already have a mediocre starter?  Is it because of the "pretty good" rumor Geno started?  Cause that rumor is false.

I have the same faith in Geno Smith, that I had in Kellen Clemens.

Clemens was never thought to be the #1 QB in the draft nor did he have the same production as Geno. He was just hyped up by draft experts and 3 QBs were deemed better than him and drafted before him by other teams. Geno on the other hand is a victim of media lashings

Geno on the other hand is a victim of media lashings

Geno had a terrible bowl game and should have gone to the Senior Bowl. maybe that's on his agents but to say it's all the media's fault is wishful thinking. The media didn't lose 5 straight games during a heisman run. 

Archived