Costello has seen enough. Ready to annoint Eugeno the starter.

Pac

Brian Costello

The Jets’ decision-makers are in love.

You can tell from talking to people around the team during this weekend’s rookie mini-camp that many in the organization are smitten with new quarterback Geno Smith. It’s beginning to look more and more like the starting job is his to lose.

Smith was impressive during the two days of the mini-camp open to the media. His passes had great zip on them and he looked more decisive as the practices went on as he got more comfortable in the offense. The 22-year-old was even more impressive off the field. He held players’ only meetings at the team hotel to learn the plays and handled the media like a longtime pro.

This is not to say the competition is over and Mark Sanchez should start packing up his headbands. There is no doubt this is going to stretch into the summer.

Two days of rookie camp in shorts are not enough to judge someone on. But there is a sense around the Jets that they want Smith to win this thing. So, if he can hit the side of the Atlantic Health Training Center with a pass and not commit any buttfumbles between now and September, the Jets will give him the starting nod.

Even if he does stumble, I think the Jets will go with veteran David Garrard to start the season and serve as Smith’s mentor until he is ready to take over the job like Kurt Warner did in 2004 for Eli Manning with the Giants.

Where does all of this leave Sanchez?

The best scenario for the Jets is: Smith shows he’s capable, Garrard proves he’s healthy and another team suffers an injury at quarterback during the preseason. Then, the Jets could trade Sanchez to the quarterback-needy team — after agreeing to eat about $6 million of the $8.75 million coming to him.

The only way I think Sanchez is a Jet when the season begins against Darrelle Revis and the Buccaneers is if Garrard gets injured and Smith can’t figure out an NFL offense.

Sanchez can still play quarterback in the NFL. Even after 52 turnovers over the last two years, this is not someone who is finished. On the right team with the right supporting cast, Sanchez can win games.

But that is no longer with the Jets.

Sanchez’s status with the Jets and their fan base reminds me of Oliver Perez with the Mets a few years ago. General manager Omar Minaya gave Perez a ridiculous contract just like Mike Tannenbaum did with Sanchez. That forced the Mets to keep Perez around longer than they should have.

Perez had some good moments for the Mets. His start in Game 7 of the 2006 NLCS would have been one of the franchise’s great moments if the Mets had won the game. By 2011, though, the bad outweighed the good and the fans viewed Perez as a symbol of everything wrong during the Minaya era.

The Mets allowed Perez to come to spring training that year, but cut him before the season, not wanting an ugly scene at Citi Field on Opening Day. Perez is still in the majors, pitching now for the Mariners.

Sanchez is the only Jets quarterback to ever lead the team to two AFC Championship games, but fell short in both. He is now a constant reminder of the Tannenbaum era, something the Jets are trying to turn the page from.

The Jets know if Sanchez takes the field at MetLife Stadium on Sept. 8, the fans will grumble. If he throws an interception to Revis, the $1.6 billion East Rutherford eyesore might crumble.

Sanchez needs to be in another uniform by Sept. 8. The Jets can only hope Smith’s skill and Garrard’s health allows them to make the move that everyone around the Jets needs to.

It’s time to move on.

Nice to see how smitten Brian is but if Idziks early tenure has tought us anything, it's that he won't be making any rash moves.  I'm sure he'll be stretching this out deep into August before any definitive decisions are made.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

While he will definitely take his time with the decision, I agree Sanchez is done as a Jet and everything we have heard about Geno this far indicates that he is about ready to take over especially considering that his mini-camp numbers are much better than Sanchez's has ever been. The only thing that worries me about him is his tendency to fumble in college other than that I would give him the nod if he continues to perform this way in practice and does well during preseason games against the 1st teamers

Peter King wrote today that the Jets "would" eat $6mil of Sanchez's deal to dump him if 1. Geno shows enough over the next few weeks and 2. Garrard stays healthy.

Honestly, I would dump Sanchez even if Garrard doesn't stay health as long as Geno looks good then I could just simply sign another veteran free agent like even Mcnabb or Garcia who knows the west coast and will serve primarily as a Mentor

Honestly, I would dump Sanchez even if Garrard doesn't stay health as long as Geno looks good then I could just simply sign another veteran free agent like even Mcnabb or Garcia who knows the west coast and will serve primarily as a Mentor

I'd agree with that. It's hard to justify letting Garrard be your deal-breaker.

While he will definitely take his time with the decision, I agree Sanchez is done as a Jet and everything we have heard about Geno this far indicates that he is about ready to take over especially considering that his mini-camp numbers are much better than Sanchez's has ever been. The only thing that worries me about him is his tendency to fumble in college other than that I would give him the nod if he continues to perform this way in practice and does well during preseason games against the 1st teamers

"mini-camp numbers"?  come on man..  they were in shorts and the vast majority of his passes were screens.

I'm hopeful Geno turns into the real deal but don't we want to at least see him in a real practice?

The real question is this: who on this board will step up and slurp Geno the way PAC has slurped Sanchez these past two years? Is there no man capable of that sort of potentially misguided, creepy, possibly race-based devotion?

The real question is this: who on this board will step up and slurp Geno the way PAC has slurped Sanchez these past two years? Is there no man capable of that sort of potentially misguided, creepy, possibly race-based devotion?

there it is..  let the racisim and hatred consume you.

Emperor+Plapatine.jpg

I was talking to a couple of West Virginia fans on Saturday night who told me not to get my hopes up about Geno being a great pro, that so much of his success was because of Tavon Austin.

Me:  "He's got to be better than Sanchez."

WVU guy:  ".........Ok, good point."

McNabb? Garcia? Have you seen McNabb? He looks like he ate JaMarcus Russell.

I was talking to a couple of West Virginia fans on Saturday night who told me not to get my hopes up about Geno being a great pro, that so much of his success was because of Tavon Austin.

Thats true but every QB needs good weapons at some point and if Smith shows signs in year 1, the Jets will be aggressive in getting him those weapons starting next year. 

The way I see it, Geno gives us three years to find another QB. Sanchez is shiit and I don't want to see him sporting the green and white anymore. So we can say "Geno's rookie year, lets see what he does next year... this is his sophomore slump, he is putting it together... season three, he is going to put it together.. oh boy this kid sucks, we need to draft INSERT ANOTHER QB POSSIBLY FROM USC".

I'm whiter than Judge Reinhold, but I'll do it.

It was kind of disingenuous. We all know that the second Geno throws his first pick, I'll be all WELP THIS GUY'S USELESS.

Yeah, I couldn't imagine you going the delusional loyalist route. It takes a special kind of personcourtneypacjif to do something as absurd as thatcourtneypacjif.

I know you are very high on Smith.  One of the reasons I'm not is because of what you just posted.  At the end of the season, when Geno looked like the fist pick in the draft, or if he slipped might wind up with the Jets at 9, I went to a Mountaineers boards, just to see what they were saying about him.

I was very surprised.  Most college fans are crazy loyal to players that look like they might be first rounders, especially when they look like top ten'ers. 

In general,  they seemed to be luke warm about him.  That put up  a lot of red flags to me.

I'm not going to attack him every time his name comes up, I honestly hope he is great, and he did seem to have a nice rookie camp,  but I'm not running victory laps just yet.

Peter King wrote today that the Jets "would" eat $6mil of Sanchez's deal to dump him if 1. Geno shows enough over the next few weeks and 2. Garrard stays healthy.

This has been plan for awhile now. Idzik knows the lockeroom/vibe of future is dependent on no Sanchez in there Sept 8

Why do the jets always need to defend there picks . From all accounts everyone weather they liked geno or not said he needs 1 -2 yrs to develop . What do the jets want to do thrust him in the starting job! But that's what we get when we lack any offensive coachs that know what they are doing. !

Garcia?

You want to shįtcan Sanchez and then give his job to the guy who he hired to coach him this offseason?

That will keep the back pages of the News and Post busy for awhile.

Why do the jets always need to defend there picks . From all accounts everyone weather they liked geno or not said he needs 1 -2 yrs to develop . What do the jets want to do thrust him in the starting job! But that's what we get when we lack any offensive coachs that know what they are doing. !

Marty is a good offensive coordinator and has had success with many QBs although all his success is always linked to Andy Reid. I trust he will make a good decision and I really think Geno isn't as ill prepared as everybody says he is

He can not get rid of Sanchez until there has been a real compition for the job.  He will lose so much credibilty if he says compition is everything to him but then makes sure there is not one at QB.   He needs to at least let them compete till after the second pre-season game.

JMHO  there is no way I want Geno starting game one.  Let this kid sit and learn a little.  Dont mess him up like they have so many others. 

He can not get rid of Sanchez until there has been a real compition for the job. He will lose so much credibilty if he says compition is everything to him but then makes sure there is not one at QB. He needs to at least let them compete till after the second pre-season game.

JMHO there is no way I want Geno starting game one. Let this kid sit and learn a little. Dont mess him up like they have so many others.

I'm not saying get rid of Sanchez right away instead let them compete but knowing that Sanchez is a goner unless he miraculously becomes Aaron Rodgers like .... In other words, let them compete until you get a chance to get rid of Sanchez lol

And I say let the kid start game 1 there is no point in delaying the inevitable if he does well against the 1st teamers in preseason games

Archived