Report: Jets "really wanted" Brian Hoyer

F.Chowds

Report: Jets were interested in Brian Hoyer

Posted by Josh Alper on May 19, 2013, 10:10 AM EDT
300x-153.jpg?w=250Reuters

The Jets lost a quarterback this week whenDavid Garrard said “no mas” because of a knee injury and a report from Tony Grossi of ESPNCleveland.com indicates they were interested in replacing him.

Grossi reports that the Jets “really wanted” to sign Brian Hoyer after Hoyer was released by the Cardinals. They weren’t able to close a deal, though, and Hoyer agreed to terms with the Browns on a two-year deal.

It probably comes as no surprise that the Jets were interested in the quarterback since they’ve shown some level of interest in just about every quarterback with recent NFL experience. It would also come as no surprise to see the team look elsewhere for another body to add to their current four-man mix at the position since it is clear that no one from that group has a stranglehold on the starting job.

Hoyer’s probably about as good as it is going to get on the free agent market until team start making cuts during camp this summer, however, and adding a player who can learn the offense quickly enough to win the job at that point is, to put it mildly, a long shot. It’s probably going to be Mark Sanchez or Geno Smith at quarterback come the start of the season for the Jets.

Permalink 0 Comments icon-rss.gif?m=1286600395g Latest Stories in: HomeN

They've gotta insulate themselves from forcing Geno onto the field if he's not ready while at the same time giving them the option of being able to trade Sanchez if some team is delusional/desperate enough to take a $2 mil flyer on him for a year. I think they'll end up goi g the young veteran route, even if it means a trade.

They've gotta insulate themselves from forcing Geno onto the field if he's not ready while at the same time giving them the option of being able to trade Sanchez if some team is delusional/desperate enough to take a $2 mil flyer on him for a year. I think they'll end up goi g the young veteran route, even if it means a trade.

If our goal was to bring in somebody to start some games and take the inevitable beating we can substitute Brian Hoyer with literally anyone. The game in Arizona last season set QB play back 50 years and he couldn't even get a snap. That abortion of a game made Greg McElroy seem like the future.

+1 i like geno but if they start him before he's ready, they will ruin him. the early schedule is not easy. 

+1 i like geno but if they start him before he's ready, they will ruin him. the early schedule is not easy. 

I think this is where Rex's short term goals and Idzik's long term goals battle it out. Also, I really think the fans will crucify Sanchez if he steps foot on the field. Guess they should've had a better alternative than Garrard, because the alternatives right now are trotting Sanchez out to boos, or trotting Geno out to destroy him in much the same way.

I think this is where Rex's short term goals and Idzik's long term goals battle it out. Also, I really think the fans will crucify Sanchez if he steps foot on the field. Guess they should've had a better alternative than Garrard, because the alternatives right now are trotting Sanchez out to boos, or trotting Geno out to destroy him in much the same way.

If you're right, then I hope Idzik puts his foot down and tells Rex that Smith will NOT start until he's ready, unless Sanchez goes down with injury.

If you're right, then I hope Idzik puts his foot down and tells Rex that Smith will NOT start until he's ready, unless Sanchez goes down with injury.

The other variable is Woody. How long will he put up with his team facing more boos at home than on the road? No season ticket holder wants to see Sanchez under center this year. It's tough to see the big picture with a butt fumble obstructing your view.

I disagree, if Geno is our franchise qb, we have to trot him out their to find out. Plus, he needs game time experience if he is to be our franchise qb. He won't get destroyed by getting trotted out their because the offense is already looking a lot better than it did last year. Also, we have a very talented OC, so the pressure lies with Geno. Geno basically has a great opportunity to succeed. Whether or not he can, will tell us if he is our franchise qb. Either way, we need to trot him out their to find out.

The other variable is Woody. How long will he put up with his team facing more boos at home than on the road? No season ticket holder wants to see Sanchez under center this year. It's tough to see the big picture with a butt fumble obstructing your view.

I hear you, and I don't want to see Sanchez under center any more than most other Jets fans.  That said, I don't want to ruin whatever chances Smith has of succeeding and being at least a quality starting NFL QB, so if need be, at worst I'd rather Sanchez start the whole year, boos or not.  At least that way we Jets fans would be pretty certain of two things...one, we had not rushed Smith onto the field before he was ready and given him every chance to develop slowly, at his own pace, and hopefully, to ultimately succeed; and two, that we'd be all but guaranteed a top 3-5 draft pick next year, and be pretty much guaranteed to have a shot at Clowney, and whoever the top QBs are.

I disagree, if Geno is our franchise qb, we have to trot him out their to find out. Plus, he needs game time experience if he is to be our franchise qb. He won't get destroyed by getting trotted out their because the offense is already looking a lot better than it did last year. Also, we have a very talented OC, so the pressure lies with Geno. Geno basically has a great opportunity to succeed. Whether or not he can, will tell us if he is our franchise qb. Either way, we need to trot him out their to find out.

o_0

What about the offense looks better? I mean, I have some faith that, at the very least, Sporano to Mornhinweg should be an improvement - but where have they improved on the field? Ivory? They've downgraded at TE, have a couple new starters on the OL, and Holmes is still a question mark.

Ideally, for me, I'd like to see Geno start the second half of the year. Let the rest of the offense gel a little bit before sending him out to get slaughtered. This way, maybe they have a functioning running game operating. I agree with you that he has to start at some point. Some people have made the point that he's not Luck or RGIII, but I'd be more inclined to let those guys sit the whole year than Geno. Geno would have to prove to me that he has the capability to be a starting QB in the NFL to keep me from going back to the well high in next year's draft.

Disagree all you want, but you're dead wrong imo.  Forcing Sanchez to start before he was ready ruined whatever chances he had of ultimately developing and succeeding.  Doing the same to Smith, when he probably needs time to adjust to the speed of the game in the NFL, work on his footwork, work on reading NFL defenses, learning the offense and continuing to work on his game, would be a colossal mistake and mind numbingly stupid.  

Smith doesn't have to start the season for the Jets to find out if he is our franchise QB.  He could sit the entire season and never play a down, the Jets could draft Bridgewater or Manziel in next year's draft, and Smith could beat which ever QB they draft out and go on to a long and successful starting career in the NFL.  There should be absolutely NO pressure on Smith to have to start immediately.  If he is ready to start by mid-season or even earlier, so much the better, but if not, that's ok too.  He will eventually get game experience.  I would think that if the Jets have as bad a season as many fans think they will, that for certain they'd start Smith the last 4-5 games to get some idea of how he handles things, whether he's ready or not, but in those circumstances and situation, they might not be able to tell very much.  After all, with few weapons around him, and if Sanchez has been his normal awful self, and the team has continued to flounder and be a circus as last season, then it would an impossible situation for Smith to do much in, especially if Rex has lost the team by then and they're just going through the motions.

I would think that if the Jets have as bad a season as many fans think they will, that for certain they'd start Smith the last 4-5 games to get some idea of how he handles things, whether he's ready or not, but in those circumstances and situation, they might not be able to tell very much.  After all, with few weapons around him, and if Sanchez has been his normal awful self, and the team has continued to flounder and be a circus as last season, then it would an impossible situation for Smith to do much in, especially if Rex has lost the team by then and they're just going through the motions.

Rex losing the team the last couple years has really been Sanchez losing the team. I suspect that if/when they trot Geno out there, all hope will be restored.

o_0

What about the offense looks better? I mean, I have some faith that, at the very least, Sporano to Mornhinweg should be an improvement - but where have they improved on the field? Ivory? They've downgraded at TE, have a couple new starters on the OL, and Holmes is still a question mark.

Ideally, for me, I'd like to see Geno start the second half of the year. Let the rest of the offense gel a little bit before sending him out to get slaughtered. This way, maybe they have a functioning running game operating. I agree with you that he has to start at some point. Some people have made the point that he's not Luck or RGIII, but I'd be more inclined to let those guys sit the whole year than Geno. Geno would have to prove to me that he has the capability to be a starting QB in the NFL to keep me from going back to the well high in next year's draft.

I disagree.  Why does he have to start at some point?  I think he will, but why force him?   In imo, guys like Luck and RGIII are more likely to succeed even when forced to start early than someone like Smith does.  Smith has a ton of talent and potential, but since there are questions about his mental makeup and he has to adjust to taking snaps from under center and work on his footwork, then he would be more likely to be adversely affected by rushing him and starting him too soon than Luck or RGIII would, particularly with the lack of weapons around him.

One can never have enough QBs, and since the Jets probably don't have a quality backup on their roster even if Smith pans out, they're gonna need to draft another QB next year anyway unless they plan on signing one in FA.  If they wind up drafting in the top 5 picks and Clowney is already gone, then the BAP and the best value would be to take a QB anyway.  If both Smith and that QB pan out, they could always wind up trading one of them for at least a high 1st round pick in a subsequent draft.

Rex losing the team the last couple years has really been Sanchez losing the team. I suspect that if/when they trot Geno out there, all hope will be restored.

I totally disagree.  Part of it has been Sanchez, but it's been just as much Rex losing touch with the players, not being in control of the locker room, and no accountability when players don't play well.  Sanchez isn't the only player who has stunk on the field and not been benched.  Rex has made more than his share of mistakes and he is more responsible for losing the team than Sanchez imo.

Disagree all you want, but you're dead wrong imo.  Forcing Sanchez to start before he was ready ruined whatever chances he had of ultimately developing and succeeding.  Doing the same to Smith, when he probably needs time to adjust to the speed of the game in the NFL, work on his footwork, work on reading NFL defenses, learning the offense and continuing to work on his game, would be a colossal mistake and mind numbingly stupid.  

Smith doesn't have to start the season for the Jets to find out if he is our franchise QB.  He could sit the entire season and never play a down, the Jets could draft Bridgewater or Manziel in next year's draft, and Smith could beat which ever QB they draft out and go on to a long and successful starting career in the NFL.  There should be absolutely NO pressure on Smith to have to start immediately.  If he is ready to start by mid-season or even earlier, so much the better, but if not, that's ok too.  He will eventually get game experience.  I would think that if the Jets have as bad a season as many fans think they will, that for certain they'd start Smith the last 4-5 games to get some idea of how he handles things, whether he's ready or not, but in those circumstances and situation, they might not be able to tell very much.  After all, with few weapons around him, and if Sanchez has been his normal awful self, and the team has continued to flounder and be a circus as last season, then it would an impossible situation for Smith to do much in, especially if Rex has lost the team by then and they're just going through the motions.

Sanchez only had one year of starting qb at USC, that's vastly different from Geno's 3 years of starting at WVU. As for drafting a qb next year, that's why we have to find out what we have in Geno. If we believe Geno is our franchise qb, than we don't draft a qb next year to add more pressure on him, especially when their are great wide receivers entering the draft next year, mainly Marqise and Watkins. 

I disagree.  Why does he have to start at some point?  I think he will, but why force him?   In imo, guys like Luck and RGIII are more likely to succeed even when forced to start early than someone like Smith does.  Smith has a ton of talent and potential, but since there are questions about his mental makeup and he has to adjust to taking snaps from under center and work on his footwork, then he would be more likely to be adversely affected by rushing him and starting him too soon than Luck or RGIII would, particularly with the lack of weapons around him.

One can never have enough QBs, and since the Jets probably don't have a quality backup on their roster even if Smith pans out, they're gonna need to draft another QB next year anyway unless they plan on signing one in FA.  If they wind up drafting in the top 5 picks and Clowney is already gone, then the BAP and the best value would be to take a QB anyway.  If both Smith and that QB pan out, they could always wind up trading one of them for at least a high 1st round pick in a subsequent draft.

Nah, they need to know. A least have a very good idea. This way, they'll know they need to take the Bridgewater or Manziel, or they'll know they can trade the pick for a bounty of picks - presumably some players to build around Geno rather than compete with him.

o_0

Our running backs and offensive line look better along with our receivers because Hill isn't a rookie anymore. Also, our offensive line looks better with all the additions they have made, you also can't forget Marty. As for Geno, if he is the best qb in camp (which he is, it's Mark Sanchez) than he should start week 1 of the regular season. It would be better for his growth if he's starting, holding a clipboard on the sideline isn't going to do much for him compared to real game experience.

This organization should really not give half a **** how the fans will react to anything they do this year. If Sanchez takes the field next year then so be it.

Smith is significantly more prepared to be thrown into the fire than Sanchez was, and that should be a factor. I would prefer he sits too, but if you believe in # of college starts being signficant and he wins the camp competition...

Really THO...fuuuuck the fans. They'll show up if/when the Jets win, no matter who the QB is. I really have no urge to read about the Jets not doing something or weakening the atmosphere of competition because they think their fans will get mad. I am sick of this organization feeding into their fans' reactions, and even more sick of the natural fan reaction.

Sanchez only had one year of starting qb at USC, that's vastly different from Geno's 3 years of starting at WVU. As for drafting a qb next year, that's why we have to find out what we have in Geno. If we believe Geno is our franchise qb, than we don't draft a qb next year to add more pressure on him, especially when their are great wide receivers entering the draft next year, mainly Marqise and Watkins. 

Doh!  Everyone knows that Sanchez only started one year and that Geno started for 3 years.  I think that Sanchez played in more of a pro style offense than Geno, however, and didn't have to adjust to taking snaps from under center rather than always in the shotgun.  The "experts" also said that Sanchez needed to sit, and the same "experts" said that Smith needs to sit.  He isn't Luck or RGIII.  Force him to start too soon, and you may never know if he could have been the guy because you may ruin him as they did with Sanchez (at least seemingly), whereas if you hadn't rushed him, he may have developed into a better player.  Thus you're created the need to draft another QB high when their may not have been need to do so.

The CS can tell from practice how he is advancing or improving and learning, if he knows the offense, is making the right reads, is making good, quick decisions, and his accuracy and leadership are there.  Yes, a game is different than practice, but even if he hasn't played a snap by then, they should have a very good idea by mid-season of whether or not they think he will be their future at QB.  I think it is pretty fair to say that chances are that if he isn't ready to start by the last 4-5 games of the season, then they probably NEED to draft a QB high next season, because things won't look very good for Geno by then.  Pressure from another QB at that point will be the least of his/their worries.  He'll have had a season to learn the offense, to adjust to taking snaps from under center, to adjust to the speed of the NFL, work on his footwork and whatever other things he needs to work on, and he should be ready to compete for the starting job in a more meaningful fashion.

I totally disagree.  Part of it has been Sanchez, but it's been just as much Rex losing touch with the players, not being in control of the locker room, and no accountability when players don't play well.  Sanchez isn't the only player who has stunk on the field and not been benched.  Rex has made more than his share of mistakes and he is more responsible for losing the team than Sanchez imo.

At the end of the day...it always comes down to the QB. Always.  Other players and coaches may have a hand in things...but it always falls back onto the QB when all is said and done.

Doh!  Everyone knows that Sanchez only started one year and that Geno started for 3 years.  I think that Sanchez played in more of a pro style offense than Geno, however, and didn't have to adjust to taking snaps from under center rather than always in the shotgun.  The "experts" also said that Sanchez needed to sit, and the same "experts" said that Smith needs to sit.  He isn't Luck or RGIII.  Force him to start too soon, and you may never know if he could have been the guy because you may ruin him as they did with Sanchez (at least seemingly), whereas if you hadn't rushed him, he may have developed into a better player.  Thus you're created the need to draft another QB high when their may not have been need to do so.

The CS can tell from practice how he is advancing or improving and learning, if he knows the offense, is making the right reads, is making good, quick decisions, and his accuracy and leadership are there.  Yes, a game is different than practice, but even if he hasn't played a snap by then, they should have a very good idea by mid-season of whether or not they think he will be their future at QB.  I think it is pretty fair to say that chances are that if he isn't ready to start by the last 4-5 games of the season, then they probably NEED to draft a QB high next season, because things won't look very good for Geno by then.  Pressure from another QB at that point will be the least of his/their worries.  He'll have had a season to learn the offense, to adjust to taking snaps from under center, to adjust to the speed of the NFL, work on his footwork and whatever other things he needs to work on, and he should be ready to compete for the starting job in a more meaningful fashion.

Those same experts also said that Russell Wilson was too short to play qb, and that Tom Brady is a horrible qb. Case in point, they've been wrong before, and they'll continue to be wrong. Anyway, the best player should start, which is Geno. RG3 and Cam also didn't play in a pro style offense and they turned out just fine. 

Nah, they need to know. A least have a very good idea. This way, they'll know they need to take the Bridgewater or Manziel, or they'll know they can trade the pick for a bounty of picks - presumably some players to build around Geno rather than compete with him.

I think from previous posts you've said that you think Smith should sit for the first half of the season, so I can't disagree too vehemently with you.  I think they will have a very, very good idea about Smith before he even takes his first snap in a game.  If he isn't ready and can't play better than Sanchez in practice by mid-season, then he may never be ready, and I think they need to plan on taking Bridgewater or Manziel (or a topflight QB prospect if they falter).  If he is as good a QB as they think, he will be starting by mid-season unless he gets injured (God forbid) or a miracle happens and Sanchez suddenly starts playing lights out.

As I said to Artemuslcyde, if the Jets are 2-10 when Smith begins starting and the team is just going through the motions, or perish the thought, if the Jets have lost a couple of starters on offense  to injury, how much more could they tell about Smith?  Not much.  If anything, he'd be likely to start pressing, trying too hard, trying to do too much to compensate.  If the OL hasn't gelled, how much could they tell if he is running for his life on every snap of the ball?

At the end of the day...it always comes down to the QB. Always.  Other players and coaches may have a hand in things...but it always falls back onto the QB when all is said and done.

I disagree.  It comes down to the HC, NOT the QB.  It's part of the HC's job to keep players playing hard and busting their butts even when the team or a key player or players (even the QB) aren't playing well.  It's harder, but ultimately, the HC is responsible, NOT the QB. 

Archived