NFL wants to move college draft to May

faba

Adam Schefter | ESPN

The NFL and NFL Players Association are on the verge of pushing back the draft to May and moving up the start of the league year to before the Indianapolis scouting combine, according to league and union sources.

As for the draft, the NFLPA is close to signing off on allowing the NFL to move the draft to May from April for at least the next three years, according to sources. Under the current collective bargaining agreement, NFL commissioner Roger Goodell can set the date of the draft without the NFLPA's approval, although he would prefer to have the union's blessing to maintain league harmony.

The start of the new league year is now expected to be moved to before the NFL scouting combine in Indianapolis rather than after it, per league sources. The NFLPA wanted to give free agents a chance to find new teams sooner.

The NFL originally proposed a league year that would have started later in the calendar year and the NFLPA rejected that idea, believing it to be unfair to its players.

This year's scouting combine took place from Feb. 20-26. The 2013 league year began on March 12.

I can't imagine coaches being thrilled with this plan.  While there might not be too much exciting going on from a fan's viewpoint, the time after the draft is already pretty filled up between rookie camps, mini-camps, OTAs and of course training camp.  You're looking at packing all of that into an even smaller window.

The moving of the league year isn't necessarily a big deal, although I do find it interesting since it's pretty much accepted that the combine was also when a lot of unofficial talks went on with agents of upcoming FAs and between teams regarding possible trades (which, for bonus-related reasons, usually teams want to do as early in the league year as possible).

The NFL should do something cool for once and let the fans vote in the 7th rounder instead of wasting my mental mind space by telling me your moving the draft back one more month like I give a sht.  Legit fans thou, maybe you have to own season tickets or something or have 10,000K post on Jetnation to be in this pool of fans that get to pick the 7th.

I'm sure I would have chose Brady years back...sure of it

this is a throw away idea but i like it. every team gets one "fan" draft pick. call it the 8th round if you want. 

I am sure players that would have been able to shop themselves around to teams with the best fit/best chance of sticking with the team will just LOVE being an 8th round choice based on the idiotic whims of a bunch of morons.  Yeah, that's the ticket.

I am sure players that would have been able to shop themselves around to teams with the best fit/best chance of sticking with the team will just LOVE being an 8th round choice based on the idiotic whims of a bunch of morons.  Yeah, that's the ticket.

they are already being told where to live and work based on the idiotic whims of morons. The crowd can only be better. In real terms you'll see local undrafted heros like Mayonset going to the Jets. Would that be so bad? 

they are already being told where to live and work based on the idiotic whims of morons. The crowd can only be better. In real terms you'll see local undrafted heros like Mayonset going to the Jets. Would that be so bad? 

For the players?  Yes.  They go from a having a chance to pick the best spot for themselves as an UDFA to an NFL team owning their rights.   And, if they wind up being cut, every week spent with the team that "drafted" them in the 8th round (by fans, not management) lessens their chance to catch on with another team that may have been a better fit.   Adding an 8th round at this stage of the game does nothing more than create a Mr. Irrelevant for each team in the interest of pandering to the fans.  

Fans need to know their role and shut their mouths. OK, they can talk but the only reason anyone tolerates their existence is because of the money.

I'm going to miss all the hopes and dreams I had for the assorted wrestlers, basketball players, and rugby stars that Mikey Gemfinder would uncover every year.

this is a throw away idea but i like it. every team gets one "fan" draft pick. call it the 8th round if you want. 

yea I'm sure for more reasons than I can count why it wouldn't work, but hell...i probably would follow college football a lot more...and imagine the tv ratings the last round of the draft would pull in

It could be like the 5th quarter in youth basketball.  Everyone gets in but the score doesn't count. :)

lets be honest the fans know more than the GMs. especially Jets fans. We chanted for Sapp and got Kyle Brady. We chanted for Marino and got Kenny Obrien. this idea that GM's and owners are somehow more informed than fans is bullcrap. Especially when it comes to the draft.  I was on a Houston radio show one year, broadcasting live from a hooters day of the draft, they just took Brian Cushing and the crowd at Hooters in houston wanted to know why they didn't take Clay Matthews III. Good question, wing eaters. 

I can't imagine coaches being thrilled with this plan.  While there might not be too much exciting going on from a fan's viewpoint, the time after the draft is already pretty filled up between rookie camps, mini-camps, OTAs and of course training camp.  You're looking at packing all of that into an even smaller window.

The moving of the league year isn't necessarily a big deal, although I do find it interesting since it's pretty much accepted that the combine was also when a lot of unofficial talks went on with agents of upcoming FAs and between teams regarding possible trades (which, for bonus-related reasons, usually teams want to do as early in the league year as possible).

Exactly!   Notice not one reason (even a bad one) was given for making this move.  Goodell is a hypocritical moron, and the sooner he's no longer associated with the NFL the better.

I like it because the draft ends and the season is still 4 months away. It would be nicer if the draft was at least a half way point

Why would it be nicer?  What possible difference does that make?  Conversely, as others have said, it gives less time for rookies to learn their new team's systems and get ready for their rookie season.  With two-a-days a thing of the past, this is just one more thing that will have an adverse affect on rookies. It will cause fewer rookies to start and/or have a lesser impact during their rookie season.  The whole process is already drawn out too long.  It's all about "hype" and style over substance, like so much in our society today.  There is not one single good reason for moving it later.

For the players?  Yes.  They go from a having a chance to pick the best spot for themselves as an UDFA to an NFL team owning their rights.   And, if they wind up being cut, every week spent with the team that "drafted" them in the 8th round (by fans, not management) lessens their chance to catch on with another team that may have been a better fit.   Adding an 8th round at this stage of the game does nothing more than create a Mr. Irrelevant for each team in the interest of pandering to the fans.  

This is true, but how is it different than what happens to your average 7th rounder?  It's about time the league properly pandered to actual football fans, people that might know who is available after 7 rounds are up. It's a silly idea, but it's nicer and more legit than most things the NFL does. 

Exactly!   Notice not one reason (even a bad one) was given for making this move.  Goodell is a hypocritical moron, and the sooner he's no longer associated with the NFL the better.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000204701/article/nfl-union-working-on-deal-to-move-2014-draft-to-may

...it's probably happening in 2014 because of a scheduling conflict. The Radio City Rockettes show, "The Spring Spectacular," is scheduled to be held at Radio City Music Hall in late April, when the draft usually is held.

"We're actually getting bumped by the Easter Bunny. They're going to have an Easter show. We'll be prepared for that," NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell said last month on "The Rich Eisen Podcast."

This is true, but how is it different than what happens to your average 7th rounder?  It's about time the league properly pandered to actual football fans, people that might know who is available after 7 rounds are up. It's a silly idea, but it's nicer and more legit than most things the NFL does. 

I hope you get drafted in the 8th -- by Oakland.

lets be honest the fans know more than the GMs. especially Jets fans. We chanted for Sapp and got Kyle Brady. We chanted for Marino and got Kenny Obrien. this idea that GM's and owners are somehow more informed than fans is bullcrap. Especially when it comes to the draft.  I was on a Houston radio show one year, broadcasting live from a hooters day of the draft, they just took Brian Cushing and the crowd at Hooters in houston wanted to know why they didn't take Clay Matthews III. Good question, wing eaters. 

Maybe because these dumbass fans were the same ones creating the lynch-mob to draft Dewayne Robertson and countless other guys like him.  

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000204701/article/nfl-union-working-on-deal-to-move-2014-draft-to-may

...it's probably happening in 2014 because of a scheduling conflict. The Radio City Rockettes show, "The Spring Spectacular," is scheduled to be held at Radio City Music Hall in late April, when the draft usually is held.

"We're actually getting bumped by the Easter Bunny. They're going to have an Easter show. We'll be prepared for that," NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell said last month on "The Rich Eisen Podcast."

Thanks.  I didn't see that reason in what was posted earlier.  Easter must come late next year.  I'm still not sure that I see that as a valid reason.  Surely this must have come up before.  How was it handled in earlier years? 

because instead of talking about this garbage, we'd be talking about the draft right now. And that's more entertaining, at least to me. 

I think you'd probably be the only one.  Based on the comments I've seen on numerous Jets boards over the years, most Jets fans are tired of all the draft talk by the time it happens, and many wish the draft would happen even earlier.  I can't imagine that that many would be in favor of all the BS dragging out another few weeks or month.

Thanks.  I didn't see that reason in what was posted earlier.  Easter must come late next year.  I'm still not sure that I see that as a valid reason.  Surely this must have come up before.  How was it handled in earlier years? 

They've only been in Radio City for a few years now, and I don't know if they had a Spring Spectacular before. I think it's a new problem.

And I don't see it as a valid reason, either. I just went looking for one when I saw your post. I was expecting something about letting the draftees graduate college first. But no, it's all about the Easter Bunny.

They've only been in Radio City for a few years now, and I don't know if they had a Spring Spectacular before. I think it's a new problem.

And I don't see it as a valid reason, either. I just went looking for one when I saw your post. I was expecting something about letting the draftees graduate college first. But no, it's all about the Easter Bunny.

I don't remember where they used to hold the drafts, but I think it's been at Radio City since at least the early-to-mid 90s.  I remember that it was at Radio City while I lived in NYC from '86-2002.  I also remember there being a Spring Spectacular.  It may not have happened every year, but I know it did some.  Of course, the draft is longer now, which makes it more problematic with scheduling.  Rather than push the date of the draft back, I think they should find a different venue for next year.

I didn't mention it earlier, but I'm surprised that the NFL didn't have a standing contract with Radio City for that weekend in April every year for the forseeable future.

I don't remember where they used to hold the drafts, but I think it's been at Radio City since at least the early-to-mid 90s.  I remember that it was at Radio City while I lived in NYC from '86-2002.  I also remember there being a Spring Spectacular.  It may not have happened every year, but I know it did some.  Of course, the draft is longer now, which makes it more problematic with scheduling.  Rather than push the date of the draft back, I think they should find a different venue for next year.

I didn't mention it earlier, but I'm surprised that the NFL didn't have a standing contract with Radio City for that weekend in April every year for the forseeable future.

It's been in NYC every year since 1965, but only moved to Radio City in 2006.

http://www.footballgeography.com/?p=1005

It's been in NYC every year since 1965, but only moved to Radio City in 2006.

http://www.footballgeography.com/?p=1005

Wow!  Interesting.  LOL!  I guess that shows that memory isn't always accurate.  I remember posters on the old NY Times Jets list then Henry and others from NYJetsChat going to the draft, and I would have sworn it was while I was still in NYC, but guess not.  Thanks for the correction.

Well, at any rate, they could perhaps move it to one of those venues or another suitable venue.  There's no reason they have to keep it at Radio City Music Hall.

The NFL should do something cool for once and let the fans vote in the 7th rounder instead of wasting my mental mind space by telling me your moving the draft back one more month like I give a sht.  Legit fans thou, maybe you have to own season tickets or something or have 10,000K post on Jetnation to be in this pool of fans that get to pick the 7th.

I'm sure I would have chose Brady years back...sure of it

Good take on this but I think this plays more into an 18 game season:

Move the Draft, & the following is possible.

• You shorten the Pre-Season games from 4 to 2
  • You are then able to extend the regular season from 16 to 18 games with a final week the 2nd week of January each year
  • You move the Superbowl to Presidents day weekend - giving more time for the NFL experience that can now begin later than the 6:00 hour that weekend
  • The NFL Draft gets a PRIME TIME component that competes with the NHL Playoffs, the NBA Playoffs & MLB's early season

The whole thing becomes a Win/Win for both the NFL & the NFLPA!

But that's just one Baumerjet's Opinion

Wow!  Interesting.  LOL!  I guess that shows that memory isn't always accurate.  I remember posters on the old NY Times Jets list then Henry and others from NYJetsChat going to the draft, and I would have sworn it was while I was still in NYC, but guess not.  Thanks for the correction.

Well, at any rate, they could perhaps move it to one of those venues or another suitable venue.  There's no reason they have to keep it at Radio City Music Hall.

Did you post in those places? I was part of that group. Really enjoyed the old Times forum. There was a good core of people there, but you also always had good thru-traffic as well. It was a shame when they closed it down.

Archived