The Jets aren't going to be bad this season...

Maxman

Agreed.  The Jets are going to surprise a lot of people by utilizing their greatest asset, Rex Ryan.

I dont think the Jets win the SB or anything like that but Jets fan are going to very excited about the future of the New York Jets under the guidance of Idzik and the superior coaching of Rex Ryan.

Rex is a good coach.  Hopefully the Jets lock him up long term contract wise.

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

the Gm's first signing retired and his second signing was arrested. This is after trading the team's best player for a 3-tech. 

saying Idzik is better than tanny is like saying Sparano is better than Schotty. We hope that change = upgrade. But there's no evidence to that so far. 

Had Idzik's first move been to give a CB what he demanded coming off an ACL tear, I'd be livid.  Idzik tore down where we needed to tear down, took the BPA in the draft, and even got us the top QB prospect in the draft.  Those signings you speak of?  A stop-gap QB and a # 2 running back.  If those are his biggest mistakes this offseason then I like where we're headed.

Had Idzik's first move been to give a CB what he demanded coming off an ACL tear, I'd be livid.  Idzik tore down where we needed to tear down, took the BPA in the draft, and even got us the top QB prospect in the draft.  Those signings you speak of?  A stop-gap QB and a # 2 running back.  If those are his biggest mistakes this offseason then I like where we're headed.

We can't even be sure Sheldon Richardson was the Best available tackle, let alone Best available player.  

more gambler's logic.  He's already made 2 mistakes, he's got them all out of his system!  

Ya know what really scares me? Next year, when all the cap space is free, what kind of big signings is this guy gonna make?  

We can't even be sure Sheldon Richardson was the Best available tackle, let alone Best available player.  

more gambler's logic.  He's already made 2 mistakes, he's got them all out of his system!  

Ya know what really scares me? Next year, when all the cap space is free, what kind of big signings is this guy gonna make?  

1.  He was the # 2 DT prospect available on most boards and unlike Star, he has pass-rushing capabilities.  I'll take it.  The entire draft is "gambler's logic".  You of all people should be aware of this.  At least the system Idzik lives by is sound:  Draft BPA and fill needs in free agency.

2.  Why does this scare you?  He's proving to be frugal if nothing else.    My guess is he'll be getting us multiple quality starters without splurging on a Maurice Jones-Drew.  So handing a frugal guy $50M in cap space can't be a terrible thing. To those who can be trusted with a little......

You gave guys like Dewayne Robertson and Vernon Gholston years and years before finally admitting they sucked.  Why are you so unwilling to give Idzik a shot?

the Gm's first signing retired and his second signing was arrested. This is after trading the team's best player for a 3-tech. 

saying Idzik is better than tanny is like saying Sparano is better than Schotty. We hope that change = upgrade. But there's no evidence to that so far. 

Well, when you put it like that...............................

1.  He was the # 2 DT prospect available on most boards and unlike Star, he has pass-rushing capabilities.  I'll take it.  The entire draft is "gambler's logic".  You of all people should be aware of this.  At least the system Idzik lives by is sound:  Draft BPA and fill needs in free agency.

2.  Why does this scare you?  He's proving to be frugal if nothing else.    My guess is he'll be getting us multiple quality starters without splurging on a Maurice Jones-Drew.  So handing a frugal guy $50M in cap space can't be a terrible thing. To those who can be trusted with a little......

You gave guys like Dewayne Robertson and Vernon Gholston years and years before finally admitting they sucked.  Why are you so unwilling to give Idzik a shot?

fun fact Star had 6 career sacks and Sheldon had 4. people act like Sheldon Richardson is some kind of pass rush expert. He's got no production.

as for Idzik we are giving him a shot right now. Why are you not admitting evidence as it comes in? The guy gave a mil to Garrard and a mil to Goodson those were his "money" signings off the offseason. How does that make us feel better about making bigger purchases?  oh and by the way this is not the last FA signing to fail. Willie Colon has ended the last 3 seasons on the IR. 

I'm worried Richie Rich might get bored and decide he wants a shiny new toy next year . I'm sure he's still kinda bummed his Tebow broke.

fun fact Star had 6 career sacks and Sheldon had 4. people act like Sheldon Richardson is some kind of pass rush expert. He's got no production.

as for Idzik we are giving him a shot right now. Why are you not admitting evidence as it comes in? The guy gave a mil to Garrard and a mil to Goodson those were his "money" signings off the offseason. How does that make us feel better about making bigger purchases?  oh and by the way this is not the last FA signing to fail. Willie Colon has ended the last 3 seasons on the IR. 

It.....doesn't.

Don't mind bit, he's still carrying on with his post-Revis butthurt tirade.  Much like DRob and Gholston before him, Idzik's position in bit's mind has now been firmly set and can never be expected to change regardless of any future events.  I mean, the guy is seriously throwing a sh*t fit over a pre-FA scrap-heap pickup and flailing around in a desperate attempt to use that timing as some sort of proof of a great defining moment of Idzik's entire Jets career.  Never mind that it was a move that had it's potential issues well documented from the moment it was made, so saw no serious investment made and thus carried with it no discernible risk, while having a high potential reward had the Jets gotten lucky.

Don't mind bit, he's still carrying on with his post-Revis butthurt tirade.  Much like DRob and Gholston before him, Idzik's position in bit's mind has now been firmly set and can never be expected to change regardless of any future events.  I mean, the guy is seriously throwing a sh*t fit over a pre-FA scrap-heap pickup and flailing around in a desperate attempt to use that timing as some sort of proof of a great defining moment of Idzik's entire Jets career.  Never mind that it was a move that had it's potential issues well documented from the moment it was made, so saw no serious investment made and thus carried with it no discernible risk, while having a high potential reward had the Jets gotten lucky.

While the Jets were peeing on your back and telling you it's rain, other teams were getting better. Looking at this schedule, 6 wins might be a lot. This team got worse. You can call it a sh*t fit or whatever but yes I am disappointed that the Jets aren't improving. 

So Bit, Garrard and Goodson were "big signings" now?  lmao.

They were the big signings for this year. Which tells you how sh*tty this team is gonna be.   But hey since we are all Kotite hardened veterans of Jets football, this year should be a breeze. 

Nope, no relation. 'k' and 'g' are the first letters of my first and last name, but I would imagine there is a Joe G out there somewhere ;)

Actually I'm pretty afraid they'll go like 6-10 or 7-9 and ruin their own good draft chances, but I just can't see that happening unless somehow nothing goes wrong and everything goes spectacularly. And that's not really the way things happen for the Jets.

I'm sure there is a JoeG. LOL

You're right that that's not the way things usually happen for the Jets, except when we don't want them to.  Several years ago, I remember that the Jets were in the running for a top 5 pick I think and there were several great prospects (maybe OLB or QB, don't remember) that would have really helped the Jets, and then the last game of the season, the Jets won on a KOR TD, that knocked them down to something like 8 or 9 and they missed out on those players.

We suffered through Kotite but that doesn't make 1-15 seasons easy. 

I think the Colts fans would disagree with you.  I'd bet that they'd go through that time and again to wind up with Oliver Luck in the draft.

I also don't think the Jets will be that bad.  My guess is anywhere between 4 and 8 wins depending upon how Coples' switch to OLB goes and how the rooks do.  If Rex coaches like he has the last two years however and Sanchez starts, all bets are off.  Then 0-16 is a definite possibility.

Keep in mind the Jets passed on him twice as did many other teams in the league. If Geno was day 1 ready he probably goes higher.  even in the minicamp practice Sanchez was throwing INTs and Geno was throwing INCs. I don't know if either guy can make the Jets "not be bad" as per this thread title. you say getting a top 5 pick is a Win-win, it's actually a painful process to watch a team lose 12-14 games. 

Wilson was passed on by more teams than Geno.  Dalton went at roughly the same spot.

Smith may not be ready to start week 1, but your reasoning isn't why.  Not the least reason why being that there are only so many teams who need a QB badly enough to invest their first round pick in one.

You're being disgusting.

Garrard hasnt played Football in 2 years.  He wasnt guaranteed a roster spot and with his health concerns he certianly wasnt someone who Idzik was relying on to be a major contributor.  And Mike Goodsen was clearly signed to play, did some stupid sh*t like most NFL players and the legal process still is running its course.  Please with this hysteria your creating out of thin air.  Dude, we're talking about 90 year old David Garrard and Mike who? Goodsen.

We cant be certain any player is the best anything, its the ******* draft, and they havent taken the field.  Are you kidding me with this?  You run an F'ing draft site.  lmfao

Yes, we cant tell if Idzik sucks 2 months into his career, but his conservative nature and his willingness to part with his best player shows drastic signs of a different mentality/philosophy for building a team. 

Fun fact, Star played his freshman year at a school smaller than my High School.  He then took a year off before going to Utah where he played 3 seasons into his Senior year and accumulated 107 tackles and 7 sacks. 

Sheldon Richardson took a very similar route, went to a small college, but transferred after his sophomore season only playing 2 years at Mizzou where he recorded 112 tackles and 6 sacks.  Only difference is, Sheldon didnt play his senior season and he led all DT's in tackles in the SEC for the year. 

So yeah, something about production.  

I think the Colts fans would disagree with you.  I'd bet that they'd go through that time and again to wind up with Oliver Luck in the draft.

I also don't think the Jets will be that bad.  My guess is anywhere between 4 and 8 wins depending upon how Coples' switch to OLB goes and how the rooks do.  If Rex coaches like he has the last two years however and Sanchez starts, all bets are off.  Then 0-16 is a definite possibility.

4 wins in todays NFL is horrendous

I'm sure there is a JoeG. LOL

You're right that that's not the way things usually happen for the Jets, except when we don't want them to. Several years ago, I remember that the Jets were in the running for a top 5 pick I think and there were several great prospects (maybe OLB or QB, don't remember) that would have really helped the Jets, and then the last game of the season, the Jets won on a KOR TD, that knocked them down to something like 8 or 9 and they missed out on those players.

"You play to win the game" or sumthin

They were the big signings for this year. Which tells you how sh*tty this team is gonna be.   But hey since we are all Kotite hardened veterans of Jets football, this year should be a breeze. 

lol.  So because they're "big signings for us" in YOUR mind, that's representative of what we're going to see going forward?  It's easy to hindsight the signings negatively.  But they were never going to be crucial signings for us beyond 2014, and that played out even after we got them.  We drafted Geno Smith and traded for Chris Ivory BEFORE we got the bad news about Garrard or Goodson.  So what does this tell you?  That we weren't leaning heavily on either Garrard or Goodson, and have a plan wider than your incredibly narrow view.

You've become a real whiner.

"You play to win the game" or sumthin

Yes, but what point is winning the last game in a season when the season is already lost,and the resulting victory actually hurts the team long term (worse draft position, missing out on players who could be real difference makers in helping turn the team around)?  In that case, the Jets won the battle, but lost the war.  If you're going to suffer through a horrible season you might as well get some "reward" (although small it may be) by getting great prospects in the draft next year as a result, and hopefully adding the talent that will help turn your team's fortunes around.  I have seen stats several times over the last several years that say it's much easier for a 4-12 team to become a winner and SB contender than it is an 8-8 team.

Sheldon Richardson took a very similar route, went to a small college, but transferred after his sophomore season only playing 2 years at Mizzou where he recorded 112 tackles and 6 sacks.  Only difference is, Sheldon didnt play his senior season and he led all DT's in tackles in the SEC for the year. 

What was wrong that he missed his senior year? That seems like it could possibly be a worry moving forward, no?

You're being disgusting.

Garrard hasnt played Football in 2 years.  He wasnt guaranteed a roster spot and with his health concerns he certianly wasnt someone who Idzik was relying on to be a major contributor.  And Mike Goodsen was clearly signed to play, did some stupid sh*t like most NFL players and the legal process still is running its course.  Please with this hysteria your creating out of thin air.  Dude, we're talking about 90 year old David Garrard and Mike who? Goodsen.

We cant be certain any player is the best anything, its the ******* draft, and they havent taken the field.  Are you kidding me with this?  You run an F'ing draft site.  lmfao

Yes, we cant tell if Idzik sucks 2 months into his career, but his conservative nature and his willingness to part with his best player shows drastic signs of a different mentality/philosophy for building a team. 

Fun fact, Star played his freshman year at a school smaller than my High School.  He then took a year off before going to Utah where he played 3 seasons into his Senior year and accumulated 107 tackles and 7 sacks. 

if you go back and read my point i said the exact same thing about Sheldon. We don't know that he's the best player available or the best tackle available 

by the way i didn't say Sheldon sucked or Idzik sucked. The jury is still out.

what I disagree with is the idea that this team won't be bad or is somehow better than they were last year. 

these DT stats sound like ownage but you can't actually back em up. Is 4 sacks in 24 better than 6 in 38? they are both about a 16% sack rate. the point is Sheldon has about as much production as Star.

http://web1.ncaa.org/mfb/playerDetail.jsp?yr=2012&org=732&player=92

http://web1.ncaa.org/mfb/playerDetail.jsp?yr=2012&org=434&player=34

You're being disgusting.

This.  You forgot to mention that Tanny probably would have traded up twice and come away with a 2 or 3-player draft.  The two players?  Probably something like Milliner and Winters or Geno and Campbell (Tanny would have given him a 4th or 5th round rating).  Either that, or he would have traded up for Warmack, then traded next year's first to move up for the ND TE.

Yeah and because of that I agree with your overall point completely. Theres just no way you repeat that twice. Basic improvements on STs and defense, two areas more strength than weakness, and this is an interesting roster.

Basically they took a similar approach to the Cubs in FA - low dollar commits to guys without big names but good numbers - and hopefully the payoff in wins will be there (the Cubs are strong statistically, unlucky as a muh record wise).

I'm impressed with the FA and draft Idzik led the team through...even with the Revis nonsense. Things definitely seem set up well to be a pretend surprise contender. Hopefully it's in the script.

The Cubs lost 100 games last year.   This year they look like a team that'll lose 85 games.   Maybe they make a run and wind up 81-81.  Maybe.  And who knows what they will be next year.  Its not like the Cardinals or Reds stink or will stink    If thats what the Jets are following,  this will be some ten year plan that might never work out.  

Its one thing to say they'd follow a successful plan.  Its another to say they are following in the Cubs footsteps.  Great.. The Jets are following a team who hasn't won anything in over 100 years and doesn't look like they are going to anytime soon.

You're being disgusting.

If Garrard was a non factor, why even bother signing the guy.  Seems like wasted space knowing his history the past two years.   And if the Bills took Geno instead of EJ, maybe the Jets don't even draft a QB.  So who were they counting on then?  Sanchez?   I guess thats the case, but kind of squashes the theory that Sanchez is a goner.

And many of Idzik's moves this offseason have been injury prone backups who don't really have a history of starting.   So if Ivory goes down or Goodson does get charged,  they are back to having nobody.   It won't be surprising, but it's been one of those offseasons more based on Hoping guys who always seem to get injured, stay healthy.  

It's no a knock on Idzik, it's just a fact that he's basing some of his signings more on luck than reality.   Garrard is the first casualty.  Not a shocker, but the Jets QB situation isn't exactly a good one.  And as soon as Sanchez sucks it up or Geno starts making rookie mistakes,  people will wonder.    Goodson was just dumb and nothing Idzik could have done about that.

The Cubs lost 100 games last year.   This year they look like a team that'll lose 85 games.   Maybe they make a run and wind up 81-81.  Maybe.  And who knows what they will be next year.  Its not like the Cardinals or Reds stink or will stink    If thats what the Jets are following,  this will be some ten year plan that might never work out.  

Its one thing to say they'd follow a successful plan.  Its another to say they are following in the Cubs footsteps.  Great.. The Jets are following a team who hasn't won anything in over 100 years and doesn't look like they are going to anytime soon.

The Jets' rebuild is not nearly on the scale of the Cubs', and it's not necessary for that to happen. I compared FA strategies only.  

As far as the Cubs this year:

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/the-2013-cubs-better-than-we-think/

if you go back and read my point i said the exact same thing about Sheldon. We don't know that he's the best player available or the best tackle available 

by the way i didn't say Sheldon sucked or Idzik sucked. The jury is still out.

what I disagree with is the idea that this team won't be bad or is somehow better than they were last year. 

these DT stats sound like ownage but you can't actually back em up. Is 4 sacks in 24 better than 6 in 38? they are both about a 16% sack rate. the point is Sheldon has about as much production as Star.

http://web1.ncaa.org/mfb/playerDetail.jsp?yr=2012&org=732&player=92

http://web1.ncaa.org/mfb/playerDetail.jsp?yr=2012&org=434&player=34

What does that have to do with it?  You used Star to compare to Sheldon as if Sheldon doesnt have the production. You're wrong.  He's almost got the same exact amount with 1 less year under his belt.

http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/sheldon-richardson-1.html

http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/star-lotulelei-1.html

You're right, we dont know if he was the best available.  So you should probably sto.p putting up your top prospects for each respective position on your site....because who cares, we dont know?  lol  I'd expect you of all people to grasp the "best available at their position concept". 

Ofcourse we dont know if either sucks, its ******* May dude. 

What does that have to do with it?  You used Star to compare to Sheldon as if Sheldon doesnt have the production. You're wrong.  He's almost got the same exact amount with 1 less year under his belt.

http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/sheldon-richardson-1.html

http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/star-lotulelei-1.html

You're right, we dont know if he was the best available.  So you should probably sto.p putting up your top prospects for each respective position on your site....because who cares, we dont know?  lol  I'd expect you of all people to grasp the "best available at their position concept". 

Ofcourse we dont know if either sucks, its ******* May dude. 

the statement I made was we don't know that Sheldon was the best tackle available or the best player available. Everyone assumes that Sheldon is a stud because the Jets tell us it's true. For me, Star was higher on the DT list and the overall list.  Sheldon has more potential to be a 10 sack a year guy but it's a projection and he's not really a fit for this defense. He plays on skates. Teams will run at Sheldon, especially if they play him at NT. And this is who they got for Revis, straight up.  

people say Idzik is doing such a great job, that statement is not really based in anything real. Fact of the matter is the Jets needed Garrard and they need Goodson too. If they want to get better. Or they could have used that money on a real tight end for example. Or a starting free safety. If it were my picks I'd have taken Chance and Eifert cause the offense still reeks. The CB pick was very solid the Sheldon pick could be Drob again. He even has the same amount of production as Drob coming out (i choose to believe the ncaa scorekeepers not the college football reference guys. but the difference isn't much. It's not like either site has Sheldon dominating). If Sheldon had Suh like production fair enough. But he didn't. 

If they want to get worse, they are well on their way. I remember how this place was at 6-10 I can't wait for all the great posts when they are 2-7 at the bye. People say it can't get worse. It can get worse actually. And while Clowney and Bridgewater are good prospects, there's no Andrew Luck next year. 

the statement I made was we don't know that Sheldon was the best tackle available or the best player available. Everyone assumes that Sheldon is a stud because the Jets tell us it's true. For me, Star was higher on the DT list and the overall list.  Sheldon has more potential to be a 10 sack a year guy but it's a projection and he's not really a fit for this defense. He plays on skates. Teams will run at Sheldon, especially if they play him at NT. And this is who they got for Revis, straight up.  

people say Idzik is doing such a great job, that statement is not really based in anything real. Fact of the matter is the Jets needed Garrard and they need Goodson too. If they want to get better. Or they could have used that money on a real tight end for example. Or a starting free safety. If it were my picks I'd have taken Chance and Eifert cause the offense still reeks. The CB pick was very solid the Sheldon pick could be Drob again. He even has the same amount of production as Drob coming out (i choose to believe the ncaa scorekeepers not the college football reference guys. but the difference isn't much. It's not like either site has Sheldon dominating). If Sheldon had Suh like production fair enough. But he didn't. 

If they want to get worse, they are well on their way. I remember how this place was at 6-10 I can't wait for all the great posts when they are 2-7 at the bye. People say it can't get worse. It can get worse actually. And while Clowney and Bridgewater are good prospects, there's no Andrew Luck next year. 

This is the statement you made:  fun fact Star had 6 career sacks and Sheldon had 4. people act like Sheldon Richardson is some kind of pass rush expert. He's got no production.

Which is poopoo because not only is it inaccurate but you also negated the fact Sheldon had just as much production with 1 less year to do it in.  So now its this ridiculous point of "we dont know if Sheldon is the best blah blah blah", no ******* sh*t.  You never know.  Its the draft.  The Jets had him as the BAP on their board, thats all the matters.  Your opinion, anyone else's opinion, the fact we dont know and probably wont for another 3 years, DOES NOT MATTER.  Thats the draft.  Thats how it works, Mr. draft daddy.  FWIW, I'll trust Rex on this one.  

The Jets didnt need Garrard.  Anyone who was banking on a dude who hasnt player Football in 2 years probably needs a reality check.  Goodson, is still on the roster until further notice and I'm pretty sure a back up running back is the least of the Jets problems. 

The bottom line is, you're making a big stink out of nothing.  You think Idzik sucks because he didnt reach for a ******* guard and TE and because he traded Revis.  Others like that he plays hardball, is conservative as opposed to traded Mike and that he stuck to his big board.  Nobody is right, nobody is wrong.  You think they are going in the wrong direction, others like it.  They're not wrong and you're not either.  Time will tell.  But you're using some stupid baseless sh*t to make your points. 

Archived