The Jets aren't going to be bad this season...

Maxman

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For every team "building the right way" with good franchise QB's, I raise you the Texans, Bengals, and the 2011 SF 49ers, it can be done with elite talent everywhere, but QB, BUT you can't pay that non elite QB 20 mill a year for that plan to work either.

1.  You're not going to win a Super Bowl without elite QB play these days, that's been the trend.  What have the Texans and Bengals won, exactly?  Would the Niners have gotten to the SB this past season with Alex Smith instead of Kaepernick?    

2.  That being said, to contend you at least need a "B" quarterback.  Matt Schaub is of that variety, which is a big reason why the Texans have at least become a playoff team.  Sanchez is an "F".  Let's hope Geno is a "B" or better, and maybe with Rex's defense that'll be good enough.

No one is suggesting paying a non-elite QB $20 million.  We already paid Sanchez huge sums of money to suck.  He was the 7th highest paid QB last year but was the 35th ranked QB in the NFL.  Let's hope that doesn't happen again.  Fortunately, Geno was a 2nd rounder, so we're paying him peanuts relatively speaking, and will do so for an additional year or 2 even if he turns out to be awesome.

For every team "building the right way" with good franchise QB's, I raise you the Texans, Bengals, and the 2011 SF 49ers, it can be done with elite talent everywhere, but QB, BUT you can't pay that non elite QB 20 mill a year for that plan to work either.

I'm not sure you can use those team to support your position.  While Schaub may not play like an elite QB, the Texans paid an elite price to the Falcons to get Schaub (swapped 1st round picks with the Falcons and received two 2nd round picks).  Kapernick could well develop into an elite QB.  He certainly has elite talent and potential.  Dalton is not an elite talent, but was a first round pick and has played at a pretty high level.

Exactly why this team doesn't need 2-3 years to do anything but continue stacking the roster with young talent and replacing the 2009-2010 coredation. 

What older vets will there be to play next year when he goes all in? Hell, what older players are there blocking anyone of significance? Davis is starting. There's no one blocking the multiple safeties they've been developing. There's no one blocking the young TEs they brought on as projects - Cumberland the former WR and Smith the rugby player. There's young depth at RB with plenty of guys fans will want to see get looks in TC. There's a young OLB no one is blocking in Coples. Richardson isn't blocked on the DL. The NT competition is wide open. The #2 CB job is Milliner's unless he loses to Wilson. Sanchez is not being handed the starting job this year.  Even if Rex wanted to start veterans over the young guys, the "old" guys on the roster now are Cromartie, Ferguson, Mangold, Holmes, Sanchez, Harris, and Howard this year. Next year almost half of those guys won't even be the roster next year. 

Ryan didn't stop playing those guys last year because it would **** alot of guys before they get cut and hit the open market. It was that roster's last shot.  The rebuild was happening before it was noticed in the form of natural NFL roster turnover and aging (though there's nothing natural about aging in the NFL). The holdovers are either prime aged or young.

Granted, there aren't a lot of older vets on the team right now, although there are several: Pace, Barnes, Garay, Sanchez, Colon, Peterman,Landry, Harris, Cromartie, Holmes, Ferguson, and Mangold.  Now, obviously, there is no one at their positions at the moment better than Cromartie, Holmes, Ferguson, Mangold, Landry and Harris, in the cases of Ferguson, Cromartie and Mangold there won't be next year either, so they don't really count for the purposes of this discussion.   This season, regardless of the "competition" and how they play in OTAs and TC, Rex could name Peterman and Colon his starters, rather than letting Winters play and gain experience.  Some of you think that if Smith wins the QB competition, he should start from game 1, but again, Rex could opt to start Sanchez because he's a vet and at least was Rex's guy.  Allen and/or Bush could possibly outplay Landry (though I doubt it) and Rex could stick with Landry as the starter.  Pace could start at OLB, Coples stay on the DL and Richardson only come in as a rotational player rather than starting.

I'm not sure I agree with you that half of the veterans you mention won't be with the team next year.  Sanchez should definitely be gone barring a miracle this year.  I would definitely be in favor of Holmes and probably Harris being gone too.  There's no way Ferguson, Mangold or Cro will be gone. Unless Howard gets greedy or Aboushi blows everyone away, I would expect Howard to be back next year in some capacity.

Further, following this season, Idzik will undoubtedly use some of the cap space they'll have to sign veteran FAs at positions of need.  If Rex is still here, he could go with the older vets because they make him feel more comfortable or he may think they'll give him a better chance to win rather than playing and developing the younger players.

Granted, there aren't a lot of older vets on the team right now, although there are several: Pace, Barnes, Garay, Sanchez, Colon, Peterman,Landry, Harris, Cromartie, Holmes, Ferguson, and Mangold.  Now, obviously, there is no one at their positions at the moment better than Cromartie, Holmes, Ferguson, Mangold, Landry and Harris, in the cases of Ferguson, Cromartie and Mangold there won't be next year either, so they don't really count for the purposes of this discussion.   This season, regardless of the "competition" and how they play in OTAs and TC, Rex could name Peterman and Colon his starters, rather than letting Winters play and gain experience.  Some of you think that if Smith wins the QB competition, he should start from game 1, but again, Rex could opt to start Sanchez because he's a vet and at least was Rex's guy.  Allen and/or Bush could possibly outplay Landry (though I doubt it) and Rex could stick with Landry as the starter.  Pace could start at OLB, Coples stay on the DL and Richardson only come in as a rotational player rather than starting.

I'm not sure I agree with you that half of the veterans you mention won't be with the team next year.  Sanchez should definitely be gone barring a miracle this year.  I would definitely be in favor of Holmes and probably Harris being gone too.  There's no way Ferguson, Mangold or Cro will be gone. Unless Howard gets greedy or Aboushi blows everyone away, I would expect Howard to be back next year in some capacity.

Further, following this season, Idzik will undoubtedly use some of the cap space they'll have to sign veteran FAs at positions of need.  If Rex is still here, he could go with the older vets because they make him feel more comfortable or he may think they'll give him a better chance to win rather than playing and developing the younger players.

If Winters can't beat out Peterman or Colon then that's his fault. What loyalty does Ryan have to those two veterans? Why is Sanchez "Rex's guy" beyond him being the only viable QB on the roster in years? Who else was going to start and be "Rex's guy" - Mark Brunell? Greg McElroy? It didn't happen because Ryan favored Sanchez, it's because the Jets actually have been that bad at QB even beyond Sanchez. Brunell got this job as a half favor when he was doing sh*t financially, never real competition. McElroy is a small QB from a loaded college team, smart enough to hang on for a while but not physically gifted enough to be a real player at the NFL level. Smith is competition. If he is better, then he wins the job. If he isn't, then Sanchez starts. The Jets have stated this since even before the draft, never giving Sanchez the starting job for 2013 right off the bat.

Coples will be on the DL as well this year. The position in a 3-4 is usually called DE/OLB for a reason. Richardson is going to see plenty of snaps whether Ryan wills it or not, he's probably going to outplay any of non-Wilkerson competition for a DE/DT job.

There's a solid chance guys one or two of Pace, Colon, Peterman, and Garay don't even make it out of camp.

Your last point is actually worse than the first point. Once again: Rex Ryan is not the ******* GM of the NY Jets. If Idzik brings in veteran FAs then that is the pool of players Ryan will have to pick from. Likely with that cap space the Jets add a prime aged FA or two that actually hits the market out of the pool of Nicks/Cruz, MJD (slightly post prime, but that will knock his price down), McFadden, Maclin, Pettigrew, Graham, possibly Oher, Albert, Clady, Veldheer, Cushing, Worilds, Orakpo, Byrd, and whoever else. Then they'll once again go after cut guys.

It's all in your head. There's not even real presedence for the thought if you give full context to where the Jets were the past two years. 

I know I will take a ton of crap for saying this, but the Jets aren't going to be bad this season.  I really believe that this will be a bounce back season that ends with the Jets in the playoffs.

There are a ton of issues no doubt but the Jets couldn't do anything on offense last year and they won 6 games.  If the Jets had punted on 1st down every time the had the ball they would won 7 games.  That is how bad the offense was.

Any improvement on offense brings in a few more wins.  It isn't that far fetched to picture the Jets at 9 or 10 wins this season.

Yes they lost Revis, but they played without him last year anyhow.

The Jets aren't going to be that bad this year people, deal with it.  The QB situation will improve, it has to improve a ton to win the Super Bowl, but marginal improvements whether it be Sanchez or Smith, will get the Jets in the playoffs.

Go ahead.  Sound off and tell me why I am so wrong now.  :)

You are a troll.  Trying to stir up JN controversy for page hits and extra posts.  I am not falling for your tricks pal and I WILL NOT be responding to you and your obvious attempts at increasing posts so you can make more money so you can sit with the wine and cheese crowd this year instead of the whine and jeer crowd.

You are a troll.  Trying to stir up JN controversy for page hits and extra posts.  I am not falling for your tricks pal and I WILL NOT be responding to you and your obvious attempts at increasing posts so you can make more money so you can sit with the wine and cheese crowd this year instead of the whine and jeer crowd.

Please explain how this is an attempt to drive up post counts?

Come on bra, you know what you did. You put Jets and playoffs in the same sentence. Jets only need 8 wins to beat Vegas, I personally think the under is a fairly safe bet

I'm not sure you can use those team to support your position. While Schaub may not play like an elite QB, the Texans paid an elite price to the Falcons to get Schaub (swapped 1st round picks with the Falcons and received two 2nd round picks). Kapernick could well develop into an elite QB. He certainly has elite talent and potential. Dalton is not an elite talent, but was a first round pick and has played at a pretty high level.

I never brought Kapernick into this, I'm talking about the 2011 49ers, anyone who thinks Schaub is even average doesn't pay attention, he is basically a more experienced M Sanchez from 2009-10, and Dalton is also average at best, my point wasn't to suggest you can't guarantee a SB win with this strategy, but since 2009 2 sh*tty QB's rode the coat tails of Elite rosters 3 times to the confrence championship, and you can argue that in all 3 games the teams losing had nothing to do with the QB play in those games. 2009 Sanchez was a rookie who gave his D a 14-3 lead, and the running game, and D gave that game away, 2010 Sanchez played real bad 1st half, but the D got dominated early, and when Sanchez got hot the D couldn't get the ball back, and he ran out of time, and in 2011 A Smith did everything possible to win that game, yet his elite D gave up the lead, and a bad special teams play cost him a chance at taking his team down the field to win the game in OT, not saying it's the ideal way to try, and win, but their are only a handful of elite QB's the other 20ish teams in the league have to try something until they get lucky, and find their elite QB plain, and simple.

Come on bra, you know what you did. You put Jets and playoffs in the same sentence. Jets only need 8 wins to beat Vegas, I personally think the under is a fairly safe bet

Playoffs.  It is going to happen.  This season.

If Winters can't beat out Peterman or Colon then that's his fault. What loyalty does Ryan have to those two veterans? Why is Sanchez "Rex's guy" beyond him being the only viable QB on the roster in years? Who else was going to start and be "Rex's guy" - Mark Brunell? Greg McElroy? It didn't happen because Ryan favored Sanchez, it's because the Jets actually have been that bad at QB even beyond Sanchez. Brunell got this job as a half favor when he was doing sh*t financially, never real competition. McElroy is a small QB from a loaded college team, smart enough to hang on for a while but not physically gifted enough to be a real player at the NFL level. Smith is competition. If he is better, then he wins the job. If he isn't, then Sanchez starts. The Jets have stated this since even before the draft, never giving Sanchez the starting job for 2013 right off the bat.

Coples will be on the DL as well this year. The position in a 3-4 is usually called DE/OLB for a reason. Richardson is going to see plenty of snaps whether Ryan wills it or not, he's probably going to outplay any of non-Wilkerson competition for a DE/DT job.

There's a solid chance guys one or two of Pace, Colon, Peterman, and Garay don't even make it out of camp.

Your last point is actually worse than the first point. Once again: Rex Ryan is not the ******* GM of the NY Jets. If Idzik brings in veteran FAs then that is the pool of players Ryan will have to pick from. Likely with that cap space the Jets add a prime aged FA or two that actually hits the market out of the pool of Nicks/Cruz, MJD (slightly post prime, but that will knock his price down), McFadden, Maclin, Pettigrew, Graham, possibly Oher, Albert, Clady, Veldheer, Cushing, Worilds, Orakpo, Byrd, and whoever else. Then they'll once again go after cut guys.

It's all in your head. There's not even real presedence for the thought if you give full context to where the Jets were the past two years. 

Whatever.  All your points are crap and your defenses of Ryan and Sanchez are ludicrous.  You speak with absolute certainty as if you have a crystal ball or something and know for certain what will happen.  You don't, so get over yourself.

Neither Peterman nor Colon are the future at OG.  Winters may not be either, but they need to find out.  Loyalty has nothing to do with it.  It's about Rex feeling more comfortable with veterans than rookies.

If you don't think that Sanchez is Rex' guy then you haven't been paying any attention the last two years.  How many HCs do you know that get a tattoo of their wife nude except she's wearing the QB's jersey?  Even though there weren't any great QB prospects behind Sanchez.  Last year when all doubt had been removed about whether Sanchez sucked or not, he could have gone with Tebow or McElroy much sooner, and at least tried something different.  Tebow may not be all that, but at least he would have never butt fumbled.

And "the position" is not usually called the DE/OLB.  On most 3-4 Ds, the DE is a totally different, separate player from the OLB, with different sizes and responsibilities.  It's not even called that on the Jets even though Rex shifts formations and players around.

No one said that Rex is the GM.  For you to keep repeating it is ridiculous and having to curse to try to make your point shows that you have no point.  Since Rex is the HC, he decides who starts and how much players play.  Idzik may make the decisions of who is brought onto the team, but Rex then decides what to do with them, if anything.  Further, if you could step back and look at the situation objectively, you'd know that Rex may be coaching for his job this year, so very likely will make decisions to protect his job and career that may not be in the Jets' best long-term interests.

If you can't discuss civilly and rationally, please don't bother to respond.

I never brought Kapernick into this, I'm talking about the 2011 49ers, anyone who thinks Schaub is even average doesn't pay attention, he is basically a more experienced M Sanchez from 2009-10, and Dalton is also average at best, my point wasn't to suggest you can't guarantee a SB win with this strategy, but since 2009 2 sh*tty QB's rode the coat tails of Elite rosters 3 times to the confrence championship, and you can argue that in all 3 games the teams losing had nothing to do with the QB play in those games. 2009 Sanchez was a rookie who gave his D a 14-3 lead, and the running game, and D gave that game away, 2010 Sanchez played real bad 1st half, but the D got dominated early, and when Sanchez got hot the D couldn't get the ball back, and he ran out of time, and in 2011 A Smith did everything possible to win that game, yet his elite D gave up the lead, and a bad special teams play cost him a chance at taking his team down the field to win the game in OT, not saying it's the ideal way to try, and win, but their are only a handful of elite QB's the other 20ish teams in the league have to try something until they get lucky, and find their elite QB plain, and simple.

LOL  Whatever dude. Chill.   I wasn't even arguing with you, just raised the question genearlly whether you could factually make those claims.  I didn't go into any real detail trying to prove you wrong.  You didn't specify any year with SF  you just said SF, and Kapernick is the QB now, so it is logical that readers would have thought you were talking about Kapernick, not Smith or the SF of 2011.  That's lame.

With regard to Schaub, RIF... I said they paid a premium price for him, NOT that he is playing like an elite QB.  That said, he is rated in the top half of the QBs in the NFL whereas Sanchez is dead last.  For you to even mention the two in the same sentence is absolutely absurd.  Schaub at his worst is 10x better than Sanchez has ever been at his best.

If I do that, it will just add more posts and you win!

**** EDIT ****

Damn! You sneaky bastard! You got me to post again just like you wanted!   I'm so stupid.  I fell for your tricks again.  And to think I thought I learned my lesson on my first visit to the JN mod lounge.

Whatever. All your points are crap and your defenses of Ryan and Sanchez are ludicrous. You speak with absolute certainty as if you have a crystal ball or something and know for certain what will happen. You don't, so get over yourself.

Neither Peterman nor Colon are the future at OG. Winters may not be either, but they need to find out. Loyalty has nothing to do with it. It's about Rex feeling more comfortable with veterans than rookies.

If you don't think that Sanchez is Rex' guy then you haven't been paying any attention the last two years. How many HCs do you know that get a tattoo of their wife nude except she's wearing the QB's jersey? Even though there weren't any great QB prospects behind Sanchez. Last year when all doubt had been removed about whether Sanchez sucked or not, he could have gone with Tebow or McElroy much sooner, and at least tried something different. Tebow may not be all that, but at least he would have never butt fumbled.

And "the position" is not usually called the DE/OLB. On most 3-4 Ds, the DE is a totally different, separate player from the OLB, with different sizes and responsibilities. It's not even called that on the Jets even though Rex shifts formations and players around.

No one said that Rex is the GM. For you to keep repeating it is ridiculous and having to curse to try to make your point shows that you have no point. Since Rex is the HC, he decides who starts and how much players play. Idzik may make the decisions of who is brought onto the team, but Rex then decides what to do with them, if anything. Further, if you could step back and look at the situation objectively, you'd know that Rex may be coaching for his job this year, so very likely will make decisions to protect his job and career that may not be in the Jets' best long-term interests.

If you can't discuss civilly and rationally, please don't bother to respond.

Rotfl, what're you getting so whiny about? Its not my fault that you are having some trouble grasping that Rex will not be in charge of what players are brought in next year. He can only play what is on the roster. While you need to see the Greg mcElroys and Tim Tebows of the world get a fair shot or something, most everyone else knows they suck without needing to see it.

In short:

- Rex Ryan is not the the GM of the Jets.

- That first little bitchy couple of lines there applies PERFECTLY to what you're saying.

- Oh Colon and Petetman aren't the future of OG? REALLY? You are breaking the news? Oh thank Jah. What loyalty does Ryan have for then lol? Why do you think you make sense here?

- The tattoo was fake. It was a NY Post and AP bit.

- Oh really, he could have gone with McElroy and Tebow earlier last year? For what? Development lol? Yeah boy I tell ya, we coulda had a starter out of those two.

- Yes, another name for the 3-4 OLB position is DE/OLB. It is everywhere.

- No one said a thing about Rex not being fired. You in fact started off talking about what he would be starting veterans next year IIRC. Once I brought up that there aren't really any major, over the hill veterans under contract for next year, you turned it into something about this year. The old or no longer climbing guys are on one year deals this year (Pace, Colon, Peterman, Landry, etc). Guys like Sanchez, Holmes, and Harris are gone next year unless something good happens. Everyone else is an easy cut if it has to happen.

Rotfl, what're you getting so whiny about? Its not my fault that you are having some trouble grasping that Rex will not be in charge of what players are brought in next year. He can only play what is on the roster. While you need to see the Greg mcElroys and Tim Tebows of the world get a fair shot or something, most everyone else knows they suck without needing to see it.

In short:

- Rex Ryan is not the the GM of the Jets.

- That first little bitchy couple of lines there applies PERFECTLY to what you're saying.

- Oh Colon and Petetman aren't the future of OG? REALLY? You are breaking the news? Oh thank Jah. What loyalty does Ryan have for then lol? Why do you think you make sense here?

- The tattoo was fake. It was a NY Post and AP bit.

- Oh really, he could have gone with McElroy and Tebow earlier last year? For what? Development lol? Yeah boy I tell ya, we coulda had a starter out of those two.

- Yes, another name for the 3-4 OLB position is DE/OLB. It is everywhere.

- No one said a thing about Rex not being fired. You in fact started off talking about what he would be starting veterans next year IIRC. Once I brought up that there aren't really any major, over the hill veterans under contract for next year, you turned it into something about this year. The old or no longer climbing guys are on one year deals this year (Pace, Colon, Peterman, Landry, etc). Guys like Sanchez, Holmes, and Harris are gone next year unless something good happens. Everyone else is an easy cut if it has to happen.

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2013/01/08/rex-ryan-admits-that-unusual-tattoo-of-wife-in-sanchez-jersey-is-real/

You might be confusing facts with things you make up again

Hit'em!! Hit'em!!  Don't take that Klecko!!  C'mon Gato, you ain't gonna let him get away with that crap, are you!!

Hey everybody!  Over here!   Fight! fight! fight!

sometimes I miss the 80's  You guys should be wearing Rush t-shirts and ripped acid wash jeans.  That would make my visual so much better.

''Herm Edwards will win a super bowl as head coach of the New York Jets''

Don't you have to go dancing with some more hotties?  I appreciate you taking time out of your day to post here but it just seems like you have more important things to to be doing.  :)

Don't you have to go dancing with some more hotties?  I appreciate you taking time out of your day to post here but it just seems like you have more important things to to be doing.  :)

LOL! You did some false advertizing on Facebook that really sparked my interest :) Shane is a beast btw ;)

There is a very real possibility that Cromartie is gone after this year.  His cap number is $15M and we save $10M by cutting him.  The year after that, he's a free agent.  

Plus we haven't seen him play the year out.  Pure dollars aside, it is entirely possible that he is a worse CB in 2013 than he was in 2012.  In that case one would not expect him to get continually better starting at age 30 in 2014.

Will he be willing to take a pay cut to stay? Who knows, really.  If he has another year like 2012 then I'd say no; if the Jets did cut him he'd have little difficulty getting that same $9.5M in new salary & signing bonus on the open market in 2014, and could very well get more than that.  

There is a very real possibility that Cromartie is gone after this year.  His cap number is $15M and we save $10M by cutting him.  The year after that, he's a free agent.  

Plus we haven't seen him play the year out.  Pure dollars aside, it is entirely possible that he is a worse CB in 2013 than he was in 2012.  In that case one would not expect him to get continually better starting at age 30 in 2014.

Will he be willing to take a pay cut to stay? Who knows, really.  If he has another year like 2012 then I'd say no; if the Jets did cut him he'd have little difficulty getting that same $9.5M in new salary & signing bonus on the open market in 2014, and could very well get more than that.  

I didn't realize his cap hit was gonna be that much.  That definitely changes things, particularly, as you say, if his play tails off this year.  That said, since the Jets seem to have a lot of cap space next year, they could afford to keep him if he plays as well in 2013 as he did in 2012.  I would think that Milliner's play and to a lesser extent Wilson's will also be a determining factor.

would you take a pay-cut if you had 67 kids to feed?

I think Cro's gone. Kind of a shame they wasted him and Revis in their prime, but what can you do, really? They waste everyone.

would you take a pay-cut if you had 67 kids to feed?

I think Cro's gone. Kind of a shame they wasted him and Revis in their prime, but what can you do, really? They waste everyone.

Why's he gotta be feeding all these kids anyway? They ain't gonna starve.

He should take a pay cut and worry about me and the Jets. I'm wasting away my prime rooting for this team. Soon I'm going to be like all the miserable old dudes on here instead of a young miserable 20 something. I'm almost pushing 30 here and I'm not seeing any light at the end of the tunnel. 25 years from now I'll probably still be here bitching, the only difference being I'll be able to understand Joe Theismann's Super Beta Prostate commercials as I run to the bathroom every commercial break mumbling obscenities at whoever our sh*tty QB is then.

looking at the schedule, im not sure they win 2 games by the bye. Which is week 10. 

this logic that the QB play MUST be better because it can't be as bad is called gamblers logic. 

It's like betting Red at the Roullette wheel because the last 5 rolls were Red (and it's a trend). Or Black (because Black is due). 

It's starting at an outcome (the Jets will be good) and manipulating past evidence to fit that conclusion. 

I'm with Bit on this. Normally this time of year I get pumped up at all the improvements the team has made (shout out to Mr. T), but this year it seems like our scheduled opponents have done more than we have.

We might be a better team moving forward, but I don't think that will be reflected in our record this year.

Archived