WFAN: Giants Are the Model Franchise, Leave Page Six To Gang Green

flgreen

Keidel: Cruz Control — Giants Are The Model Franchise

Leave Page Six To Gang Green

July 9, 2013 11:34 AM

By Jason Keidel

Remember when Victor Cruz was a nobody?

Like one of the red shirts on Star Trek, ready to morph into a salt cube 60 seconds into the show, Cruz was an unknown tryout, wearing a disposable No. 3, lighting up the Jets in a preseason game.

We know who Cruz is now, and we know he can still torch the Jets, just as the Giants still dominate the Jets everywhere that matters. Leave Page Six to Gang Green, while the Giants quietly cruise through another offseason. Beyond handling a potentially messy situation with aplomb, the Giants are never shrouded in the pomp and circumstance surrounding the Jets.

Cruz, 26, signed a six-year, $46 million deal, which is really a $24 million deal (the latter being the amount of guaranteed money). And there’s the regional and cultural fine print. Cruz is a local, Latin kid whose Hispanic heritage added to the MetLife marquee and salsa touchdown dance became a national rage. (Even the Material Girl mimicked his hips.)

You and I are about as likely to play for the Giants in 2018 as Cruz is. But he got enough to set himself and his family for life. And that was his stated goal. And that is the quintessence of the American Dream for an undrafted free agent.

The Giants often reach their goals because they are the antithesis of the Jets. Or are the Jets the antithesis of the Giants? No matter, one does business by volume and the other with volume. The Giants, to borrow anther Star Trek metaphor, are about the needs of the team over the needs of the player. The Giants are about understatement, a corporate cadence and decency; the Jets are about headlines and gaseous prognostications and decibels.

Granted, it’s exponentially easier to be a model franchise with a franchise quarterback. Just as Jim Leyland looks like a savant whenever he jots Justin Verlander on the card, the Giants have a head start on 25 teams every September as long as Eli Manning is manning the helm.

But you’ll notice Manning is at home nursing a new baby while Mark Sanchez is doing “Girls Gone Wild” videos with virtual babies in some apartment, with that headband contraption that has all of us scratching our scalps. Tom Coughlin is studying film while Rex Ryan is in Pamplona getting his Hemingway on.

Just look at leadership. Coughlin and Manning handle their business while Ryan guarantees Super Bowls, records foot fetish videos, takes shots at colleagues (see: Norv Turner), and runs down alleys with half-ton beasts with trying to jam a horn through his ribs.

Mark Sanchez, whose work ethic has often been questioned, seems more interested in being a celebrity than an NFL star. If it feels like Sanchez is counting the hours until the Jets drop the corporate guillotine on him, he probably is. The moment his contract expires, the Jets will have a van waiting for him outside the building.

The Giants are allergic to drama. Even the around the draft, where the Jets supposedly picked the progenitors of a new empire, produced a player who (allegedly!) passed out in his car on the side of a road, shirt coated in vomit, with an arsenal that would make Rambo blush. The aforementioned player, Mike Goodson, was new GM John Idzik’s first free agent signing.

Plaxico Burress was the last Giant whose drama derailed a season. The Giants cut him and won another Super Bowl. The Jets, of course, plucked him like a crumb off the rug, after his prison stint. The Jets have no one to run, throw, or catch the ball. The Giants have all three in abundance, even without Ahmad Bradshaw.

It starts at the top. The Giants are Spock: logical, pragmatic, precise. The Jets are the throaty Yoeman who disobeyed orders before beaming down and dying on some alien planet. One is a model franchise. The other is a franchise with an aspiring model.

You can decide which team is closer to the Super Bowl.

how quickly we forget that classyTM Hakeem Nicks didn't show up to OTAs angering St. Coughlin.

there is so much intellectual dishonesty going on in this article I actually feel sick.

On a related note, I find it hilarious the massive inferiority complex so many Giants-related folks clearly have because of how much more media attention the Jets' get.  It's not even up for debate that whether it is the Giants' fans, reporters or even their players, that they ramble on about the Jets far more than you ever hear those same groups for the Jets talk about the Giants.  I mean, we are talking about two teams who play each other in actual real games once every four years.  They seriously need to get over it, it's not like this endless coverage the Jets get is generally positive (and when it is, that doesn't last long).  Are these people aware of how sad they look being so hung up on another team that could really not mean less to them, outside of their location?

My favorite part of the article is that Mark Sanchez is not as good as Eli Manning because Eli Manning has a wife and family and Sanchez is single, goes out with girls, and wears a stupid headband.

I've soured on Mark Sanchez like everyone else, but GTFO with this garbage.

Didn't David Diehl get a DWI a year or two ago?  I guess that doesn't count.  

On a related note, I find it hilarious the massive inferiority complex so many Giants-related folks clearly have because of how much more media attention the Jets' get.  It's not even up for debate that whether it is the Giants' fans, reporters or even their players, that they ramble on about the Jets far more than you ever hear those same groups for the Jets talk about the Giants.  I mean, we are talking about two teams who play each other in actual real games once every four years.  They seriously need to get over it, it's not like this endless coverage the Jets get is generally positive (and when it is, that doesn't last long).  Are these people aware of how sad they look being so hung up on another team that could really not mean less to them, outside of their location?

So true. I know a lot of Giants fans (my brother included), and they talk way more about our team than their own.  Hell, they talk more about the Jets than most of us do.  It's kind of pathetic, especially when you consider the success the Giants have had the last few years.

The other thing is they're delusional.  The Giants had a 9-7 regular season record both years when they won the Super Bowl 2007 and 2011.  They barely squeaked into the playoffs and got hot at the right time. Yet if you ask their fans, they'll tell you they were the most dominant team in football both seasons. 

Who the **** is this dickwad?

A blog writer for WFAN who mostly BS's about the Giants.

What's funny here is how all the Jets blog writers spend all their time blasting the Jets, and Giants Blog writers spend all their time defending the Giants.

Hard to believe the teams are in the same city. 

Once Wellington's widow dies the team gets divided between 11 irishmen....im sure that will go over swimmingly.

The Tisches are already 50% partners because 2 Irishmen both named Mara couldn't get along. Irish Alzheimers; they forget everything but the grduges.

The Tisches are already 50% partners because 2 Irishmen both named Mara couldn't get along. Irish Alzheimers; they forget everything but the grduges.

Yeah youre right.  I think the Tischs actually own 51%...but when the widow dies god knows what happens among the Mara's,

Yeah youre right.  I think the Tischs actually own 51%...but when the widow dies god knows what happens among the Mara's,

The NFL and the Giants have always been vague about that but after this debacle of 2 warring parties each with 50% ownerhsip locked in inaction, Rozelle mandated somebody has to have more than 50% to prevent such gridlock.

Archived