Mornhinweg praises Geno

Jetsfan80

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/geno-start-mornhinweg-article-1.1407566

Marty Mornhinweg heaps praise on Geno Smith, says it’s ‘up to him’ if rookie can be NY Jets’ starter in Week 1  

Gang Green's new offensive coordinator loves what he sees from the rookie out of West Virginia, saying, 'I think Geno's close. I don't think he's there yet. But he's close to being able to get into a game and function at a high level.'

By Manish Mehta / NEW YORK DAILY NEWS

Published: Wednesday, July 24, 2013, 11:53 AM

Updated: Thursday, July 25, 2013, 1:37 AM

jets-practice-mini-camp.jpg

Geno Smith may have experienced his fair share of growing pains during the offseason, but don’t be surprised if the former West Virginia star wins the Jets quarterback competition against incumbent Mark Sanchez that begins in earnest on Friday in Cortland.

Smith, who signed his rookie contract on Monday, admittedly has a large learning curve, but he won’t have to master all the components of being an NFL quarterback to be the Jets’ opening day starter.

“I will say this... I know this: He’s way ahead of the pace of a normal rookie,” offensive coordinator Marty Mornhinweg told The Daily News at the conclusion of the offseason program. “Guys that are quite skilled sometimes get away with some mechanical (flaws) in a game. They’re just so good athletically that they get away with them for a period of time and then they get better and better and better and better.”

“I think Geno’s close,” he added. “I don’t think he’s there yet. But he’s close to being able to get into a game and function at a high level. So our whole challenge — and his challenge — is that first preseason game (at Detroit on Aug. 9). Now let’s get to a point where you can function at a high level.”

Quarterbacks coach David Lee delivered a blunt assessment of Smith’s flaws during minicamp, such as conveying plays in the huddle, mastering snap counts and recognizing “hot” reads, but he made it clear that the rookie could still get up to speed enough to be the Week 1 starter against the Buccaneers on Sept. 8.

Smith’s biggest physical hurdle is sharpening his footwork on drop backs after spending much of his college career in shotgun. However, Mornhinweg has seen enough promising signs to give him hope.

“He’s done a fabulous job,” Mornhinweg said. “That is a heck of an offense that they have at West Virginia.

jets-practice.jpg

However, we base much of our success of accuracy and timing and decision-making and precision with the footwork. . . . So, I know this — he’s done an outstanding job (with) some of the things that he’s done. . . . He reverted back several times in practice: Both 7-on-7 and (11-on-11). Just absolutely normal.”

Rex Ryan, whose team travels to Cortland on Thursday for the start of training camp, suggested that the Jets could initially use Smith in a change-of-pace role similar to the 49ers’ handling of Colin Kaepernick last season before he took over the starting job. However, Mornhinweg didn’t want to speculate how, or even if, Smith would be used if he doesn’t win the quarterback competition.

“Those are too many ifs, ands and buts,” Mornhinweg said. “I will say this: Geno is an excellent athlete. He’s really progressed at a high level. He’s done this fast and it’s because he put in the hard work both on and off the field in preparation. He’s done an outstanding job that way. I know he’s got the mentality of: If he can help the team in any way, he’ll do it.”

Mornhinweg admitted Smith’s lack of exposure to a pistol or read-option offense in college wouldn’t preclude the Jets from teaching him to do it now. “Oh yeah. He does much of that really naturally,” Mornhinweg said. “He’s a natural football player. Football comes easy to him. So, yeah. . . . Look, we’ve worked a little bit of these types of (read-option) things (in practice) to give our defense a look. . . . But he’ll do anything to help our football team.”

Mornhinweg said that he’ll have “a big-picture plan that could be adjusted game to game and sometimes even within the game” during the preseason for Sanchez and Smith.

Smith has already said that he feels that he has “a great shot” to win the job, but can the Jets realistically expect him to be ready to be the starter for Week 1?

“We’ll see. That’s up to him,” Mornhinweg said. “That’s up to Geno. It’s really that simple. He’s been progressing at a very high rate.”

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

People want this, I don't want this. I'd like Sanchez to start at least the first month of the season. Take the lumps while the OL gels with the new guards, the rest of the offense gets up to speed in a new system, all during the roughest stretch of the schedule. It just makes sense. Let Geno get a feel for the pro game from the bench for a while before getting thrown in there.

Question is, do we believe any of this, or is it all just to make Sanchez look like he actually won something when he's given the job over someone who's just about there vs. over a rookie who's just not ready yet.

I mean, we gave him millions guaranteed to apologize for making a phone call to Peyton Manning's agent...

Question is, do we believe any of this, or is it all just to make Sanchez look like he actually won something when he's given the job over someone who's just about there vs. over a rookie who's just not ready yet.

I mean, we gave him millions guaranteed to apologize for making a phone call to Peyton Manning's agent...

Oooh, I didn't think of that.  How Machiavellian.  

People want this, I don't want this. I'd like Sanchez to start at least the first month of the season. Take the lumps while the OL gels with the new guards, the rest of the offense gets up to speed in a new system, all during the roughest stretch of the schedule. It just makes sense. Let Geno get a feel for the pro game from the bench for a while before getting thrown in there.

I think a lot of fans agree with your sentiment, somewhat begrudgingly, but the hope is that ideally the Jets, including Geno, get their crap enough together in camp and preseason that they are ahead of where we all expect come week one and Geno as the starter really is in the best interests of everyone.  That said, if he or the offense as a whole doesn't seem ready, I agree that it'd likely be in his best interest to wait, at least until after the brutal opening stretch.

I think a lot of fans agree with your sentiment, somewhat begrudgingly, but the hope is that ideally the Jets, including Geno, get their crap enough together in camp and preseason that they are afford of where we all expect come week one and Geno as the starter really is in the best interests of everyone. That said, if he or the offense as a whole doesn't seem ready, I agree that it'd likely be in his best interest to wait, at least until after the brutal opening stretch.

There's talk about him learning the footwork required in the WCO, the timing, etc. It's all a lot for him. You throw him right in there, and once he starts getting chased around, he's going to revert to his old habits. It's human nature. He'll rely on his physical gifts, and it will actually be detrimental to his learning curve.

The other big issue for Geno is his questionable mental strength. His resiliency was questioned during his last season in school, and reared its ugly head again when he wasn't drafted in the first round and he wanted to take his ball and go home. You throw a kid like that into a situation where the whole offense is trying to get up to speed against difficult opponents and it's -to me- a recipe for disaster.

Let him sit, learn, watch the pro game from the sidelines for a couple months. Continue to work in practice on the footwork and timing required for the WCO so that it can start to become more of the default than what he's been doing for the last four years. Let him watch Sanchez bumble behind the line, and build up his confidence as a result: I can do better than that! I'm sure he wants to be the opening day starter, but he'll be much more ready after the bye week. Mentally and physically.

**** that.  First off, Mark Sanchez is terrible and doesnt deserve to ever take the field as a starter ever again in the NFL.  Secondly, all Idzik, Rex, Marty and anyone affiliated with the NY Jets is preaching "open competition", if Geno out plays Sanchez and earns the starting job, he's a liar if they go with Sanchez.  Not a good way for a GM to start his career.

There's talk about him learning the footwork required in the WCO, the timing, etc. It's all a lot for him. You throw him right in there, and once he starts getting chased around, he's going to revert to his old habits. It's human nature. He'll rely on his physical gifts, and it will actually be detrimental to his learning curve.

The other big issue for Geno is his questionable mental strength. His resiliency was questioned during his last season in school, and reared its ugly head again when he wasn't drafted in the first round and he wanted to take his ball and go home. You throw a kid like that into a situation where the whole offense is trying to get up to speed against difficult opponents and it's -to me- a recipe for disaster.

Let him sit, learn, watch the pro game from the sidelines for a couple months. Continue to work in practice on the footwork and timing required for the WCO so that it can start to become more of the default than what he's been doing for the last four years. Let him watch Sanchez bumble behind the line, and build up his confidence as a result: I can do better than that! I'm sure he wants to be the opening day starter, but he'll be much more ready after the bye week. Mentally and physically.

Really?  Enough with the coddling around here.

This isnt Sanchez coming out of school with 1 year of starting experience taking over a stocked team.  Geno attempted probably a thousand more passes in school than Mark.  He's battled adversity in school, unlike Mark who was playing vs. JV competition.  If he's that big of a mental midget than he'll never make it.

Again, if he wins, Idzik is a phony for starting Sanchez and you might as well call it a career.  Dude will be done with everyone who he ever tries to pitch something to again.

This seems unlikely. Have you ever seen Mornhinweg talk? Dude's as earnest as a ******* Precious Moments figurine.

Really?  Enough with the coddling around here.

This isnt Sanchez coming out of school with 1 year of starting experience taking over a stocked team.  Geno attempted probably a thousand more passes in school than Mark.  He's battled adversity in school, unlike Mark who was playing vs. JV competition.  If he's that big of a mental midget than he'll never make it.

Again, if he wins, Idzik is a phony for starting Sanchez and you might as well call it a career.  Dude will be done with everyone who he ever tries to pitch something to again.

I don't think he's going to beat out Sanchez, simple as that. And if it's close, the decision should go to the incumbent. It's not coddling to have a highly rated QB prospect learn from the bench for half a season. If they want Geno to succeed, they need to put him in the best position to succeed. Unless he's absolutely playing lights out in the preseason, the best position to succeed will be mid season. That's when the pressure will be off, and he'll have a lot more practice time under his belt. The pro game is a lot different than what he did in college. Let him sit.

I don't think he's going to beat out Sanchez, simple as that. And if it's close, the decision should go to the incumbent. It's not coddling to have a highly rated QB prospect learn from the bench for half a season. If they want Geno to succeed, they need to put him in the best position to succeed. Unless he's absolutely playing lights out in the preseason, the best position to succeed will be mid season. That's when the pressure will be off, and he'll have a lot more practice time under his belt. The pro game is a lot different than what he did in college. Let him sit.

Well thats a different story.  I was taking this thread in assumption that Geno would win. 

I guess I view the season different.  We're being predicted to be the bottom dweller in the AFCE, people are predicting 2-4 wins.  This is a pressure free season if you ask me.  And you know what the best way to help a player succeed in the NFL is?  Give him snaps.  Lots of them.  Thats the only way to get a feel for the speed of the game.

And beyond that, if we end up being that sh*tty, we need to know what Geno's got because next year's draft has some solid QB prospects. 

When you evaluate what Geno did at West Virginia with that short passing offense that requires quick reads and accurate throws it isn't much of a leap of faith to see that he has the skills already to be a real good WCO QB.  I think Sanchez is doomed.  Maybe he starts the season and goes the first 4 games, but Geno will have packages in each of those games.  I have faith that Mark will be Mark and we will be calling for his head shortly after the start of the season.

When you evaluate what Geno did at West Virginia with that short passing offense that requires quick reads and accurate throws it isn't much of a leap of faith to see that he has the skills already to be a real good WCO QB.  I think Sanchez is doomed.  Maybe he starts the season and goes the first 4 games, but Geno will have packages in each of those games.  I have faith that Mark will be Mark and we will be calling for his head shortly after the start of the season.

If Sanchez starts the season, at the absolute latest the lynch mob will be out in full force by the time week 2 is in the books.  Sanchez in a road game against the Pats, on a short week in prime time no less?  Talk about an epic disaster waiting to happen.

Take off the tinfoil hat.

I just don't like this idea.  Either start Geno or leave him on the bench.  He's not going to develop at all if he's coming in a few times a game.  The Niners did it with Kaepernick after he had been in the league for a full season, and they already had a decent starter in Alex Smith.  Until Smith got hurt people weren't really talking about Kaep being a legit starter until they saw him in action.  His only playing time previously had come in the 2011 preseason when he threw 0 TD's and 5 picks, then threw for 35 yards in that regular season.  He didn't score his first TD until the game against us (of course) on one of those package plays, in Week 7 of his SECOND season.  And Kaep is a MUCH better runner than Geno. 

There's no real upside to this.  We're not a contender like the Niners were, looking to use Geno as a "weapon".  We have him fully in our sights as our starter and, perhaps, as our franchise QB. 

If we're gonna play Geno, start him.  Enough of this Tebow-esque package play BS.  And when we do so, maybe try to run some kind of spread offense-west coast offense hybrid or something to play to his strengths.

Yeah, the Jets have not jumped through hoops to help Sanchez's fragile ego over the years... That's never happened.

Tannenbaum did, sure.  And I'm sure Woody/Rex have and still are.  But it sure doesn't seem like Idzik is that kind of guy.

Geno really doesn't have to do much to impress the coaches in camp. A pretty girl having ugly friends makes the pretty one look like a 10. Geno is the pretty new girl and Mark is the fat whale friend who no one wants to talk to.

If all he has to do is look better than Mark to win the competition, I don't see how anyone else besides him starts. Mark looks terrible every day, and he's in his 5th year. Theoretically, Geno should look better and better with every practice.. 

Yeah, the Jets have not jumped through hoops to help Sanchez's fragile ego over the years... That's never happened.

And just because you're paranoid doesn't mean there aren't people out to get you. 

I really don't think the Jets drafted a QB this year to placate Mark Sanchez's ego. 

**** that.  First off, Mark Sanchez is terrible and doesnt deserve to ever take the field as a starter ever again in the NFL.  Secondly, all Idzik, Rex, Marty and anyone affiliated with the NY Jets is preaching "open competition", if Geno out plays Sanchez and earns the starting job, he's a liar if they go with Sanchez.  Not a good way for a GM to start his career.

Doesn't the HC determine who the starters are?  If so, then it won't make Idzik a liar if Sanchez starts.

If they want him to watch Sanchez so he can "learn" what not to do, just sit him down and show him 4 years of Sanchez film.  That would be nightmare enough.  Why piss away games? 

Well thats a different story.  I was taking this thread in assumption that Geno would win. 

I guess I view the season different.  We're being predicted to be the bottom dweller in the AFCE, people are predicting 2-4 wins.  This is a pressure free season if you ask me.  And you know what the best way to help a player succeed in the NFL is?  Give him snaps.  Lots of them.  Thats the only way to get a feel for the speed of the game.

And beyond that, if we end up being that sh*tty, we need to know what Geno's got because next year's draft has some solid QB prospects. 

If the first part of the season is going to be so tough, then we know Sanchez will lose those games.  How can you ask guys to risk their bodies for a QB you know is going to lose?  Geno has upside.  Mark has no side.

If they want him to watch Sanchez so he can "learn" what not to do, just sit him down and show him 4 years of Sanchez film.  That would be nightmare enough.  Why piss away games?

I'm tired of Sanchez, too, but I'm not entirely sure that it's pissing away games to start him the first month or two of the season. I also don't really care, as I see this season as a rebuilding year, anyway.

But the reason you do it, regardless, is to try to avoid destroying Geno's fragile, eggshell mind before he's ready. Better to start him when the rest of the offense is starting to get it together, and the competition is a little easier. Geno seems, to me, like a guy who needs to be coddled. After years of Sanchez, I was hoping the Jets would avoid such a QB, but they didn't. So now that he's here, they should coddle him a little bit. Let him learn on the sidelines for half a season. It can only help him.

If the first part of the season is going to be so tough, then we know Sanchez will lose those games.  How can you ask guys to risk their bodies for a QB you know is going to lose?  Geno has upside.  Mark has no side.

First off, I'm in total agreement with you that Geno has upside and Mark has none.

That said, I understand your perspective on this, but I think the Jets' perspective is that with all things being equal, and their being likely to lose those games regardless of who is at QB, then they're going to take the approach of doing what is best for Geno as he is potentially the future franchise QB.  They don't want to rush or pressure him if they feel he isn't ready.  What's 4 games in what will probably be a forgetable season anyway if it can make the difference between developing a QB prospect into a quality starting QB versus one who struggles and never reaches his potential?

They want to give him every opportunity to succeed.  Besides, since many of the Jets veterans seem to favor Sanchez anyway, I'm not sure the team is having to ask guys to risk their bodies for a QB they know is going to lose.

I agree with Sanchez starting the season but let me take the filter off what I think you are saying. I would love to see Sanchez start, play through the hardest part of the sched and watch him take his lumps  (with his stupid headband on of course) as the OL works on becoming cohesive.

Does that make me a bad fan? I dont think so. He's a multimillionaire who stunk it up after he cashed in and deserves to be humbled.

First off, I'm in total agreement with you that Geno has upside and Mark has none.

That said, I understand your perspective on this, but I think the Jets' perspective is that with all things being equal, and their being likely to lose those games regardless of who is at QB, then they're going to take the approach of doing what is best for Geno as he is potentially the future franchise QB.  They don't want to rush or pressure him if they feel he isn't ready.  What's 4 games in what will probably be a forgetable season anyway if it can make the difference between developing a QB prospect into a quality starting QB versus one who struggles and never reaches his potential?

They want to give him every opportunity to succeed.  Besides, since many of the Jets veterans seem to favor Sanchez anyway, I'm not sure the team is having to ask guys to risk their bodies for a QB they know is going to lose.

Agree 100%. If they didn't start Geno til the last 6 games, I'd understand. There is NO reason he has to go up against the Falcons, Steelers, Patriots, Bengals, and Saints. (Weeks 5-9) as a rookie QB, not when the expectations for the team are so incredibly low. The minute he steps onto the field, expectations skyrocket.

I get why fans want Geno to start Week 1. Hell, I want Geno to start Week 1. But it's not worth it if he's not ready, and sitting on the bench for 10 weeks won't kill him even if he is.

I honestly the this announcement is tied in with the signing of Braylon and the speculation that it's a sign Sanchez is ahead.

By not signing Edwards until just before training camp opens, when they make the pre-training camp announcement that Geno is in the competition to start it doesn't seem like the team is reacting specifically to the rumor that Braylon's signing means Sanchez has the advantage.  Squelch a rumor while seeming not to even deal with the rumor.

I honestly the this announcement is tied in with the signing of Braylon and the speculation that it's a sign Sanchez is ahead.

By not signing Edwards until just before training camp opens, when they make the pre-training camp announcement that Geno is in the competition to start it doesn't seem like the team is reacting specifically to the rumor that Braylon's signing means Sanchez has the advantage.  Squelch a rumor while seeming not to even deal with the rumor.

I just think it is what it looked like: no one else was available no matter how hard they looked.  

Doesn't the HC determine who the starters are?  If so, then it won't make Idzik a liar if Sanchez starts.

Yes, but Rex is singing the same tune.  So they'd both be liars. 

Pretty much.  I think in general, the team would rather rally behind a guy learning and growing then a guy who's essentially playing himself out of the league.

If the Jets are going to be a bad team and the offense really has no legit weapons,  why throw Geno to the sharks?   He's young, he has a lot to prove, and a 2-14 season with a QB a lot of people have questions about,  not exactly a good thing.    A lot of better QBs than Geno have been thrown to the sharks and were destroyed.   If Mark Sanchez goes out there and sucks, gets beat up, and the Jets are 1-7 at some point,  who cares about his ego.   He sucks.   Geno will have had half a season to practice, to watch, to learn, to listen.    Will it help?  Who knows.  But Geno watching Sanchez get his azz beat and suck is far better than himself going out there and getting his azz beat down for no legit reason.

They already screwed up by starting Sanchez way too early.  Would it have mattered? Probably not.  But if the Jets had a more polished veteran QB with some skills, they probably make it to the super bowl and Sanchez would have taken a back seat for a few years.     Remember Arizona.   They drafted Leinart.   They took an aging over the hill Warner.    And Warner almost won them a super bowl while Leinart never developed into anything.  And he played 4 years in college.  Sanchez probably would have gone down that same route.  Instead the jets forced him on everybody, never really mentored or helped him develop, and the rest is history.    The Jets dont' exactly have a good history of developing QBs and as much as everybody loves MM, his last two young QBs(Kolb & Foles) are't exactly guys you want to put down on your resume as "look at who I developed."     

So having Geno sit for awhile isn't that big of a deal to me.   

Archived