Roster predictions : Offense ~ ~ ~

kelly

We are halfway through the preseason schedule, and the New York Jets still have a lot to answer before they open the season week one against Tampa Bay. The starting quarterback position is far from the only open discussion still going on.

So, what am I doing ?

Predicting what the roster is going to look like. What is better to do when we don’t know what the roster will be ? Take an educated guess. I am doing that this morning, starting with the offensive unit. See what you think:

QUARTERBACK
Mark Sanchez
Geno Smith
Matt Simms

One name missing is Greg McElroy. People won’t be happy about this, but I believe that ever since McElroy opened his mouth about the locker room, they have been looking for a way to get rid of him. Matt Simms seems ready to be the third string, so the Jets will take advantage of their chance.

RUNNING BACK
Chris Ivory
Bilal Powell
Khalil Bell
Chad Spann

Two notable names that are missing, Mike Goodson and Joe McKnight. Despite John Idzik’s assurance that we will see Goodson soon, I have a feeling that this is just not going to happen. There is something we are not being told, and I have a feeling it’s the fact that we won’t see him. McKnight? I think he is the odd man out. The coaching staff questions his durability, and they have guys that can return kicks.

FULLBACK

Tommy Bohanon

He is already showing himself to be more valuable than Lex Hilliard ever was, so he sticks.

WIDE RECEIVER
Santonio Holmes
Stephen Hill
Jeremy Kerley
Clyde Gates
Ryan Spadola
Ben Obomanu

I love Braylon Edwards, but I don’t get the feeling he is making this team. He is not spending enough time with the one’s to lead me to believe they have faith in him. Ryan Spadola makes the team in Chrebet-like fashion, and Obomanu sticks as a healthy veteran, especially until Tone returns.

TIGHT END
Jeff Cumberland
Kellen Winslow, Jr
Konrad Reuland

There hasn’t been enough to lead me to believe that one of the younger tight ends will make this team, and I don’t see Hayden Smith as being ready, yet.

OFFENSIVE LINE
D’Brickashaw Ferguson
Stephen Peterman
Nick Mangold
Willie Colon
Austin Howard
Oday Aboushi
Brian Winters
Erik Cook
Caleb Schlauderaff

Finally, the Jets have the opportunity to keep some talented depth on the roster. What a welcome change! And note the list for one more thing, no VLAD! I think it’s finally over.

>   http://thejetpress.com/2013/08/20/new-york-jets-roster-predictions-offense/

I find it hard to believe that they will give up on Hayden Smith now.  It's possible that Mornhinweg and Idzik don't like him as much as Sparano and Tannenbaum, but they carried him on the roster all of last year, lost their #1 TE and I have heard numerous comments about Smith making good catches in camp and the preseason games.  Doesn't seem that an inline blocker is going to be a huge part of this O either.  I think he sticks.  

I find it hard to believe that they will give up on Hayden Smith now.  It's possible that Mornhinweg and Idzik don't like him as much as Sparano and Tannenbaum, but they carried him on the roster all of last year, lost their #1 TE and I have heard numerous comments about Smith making good catches in camp and the preseason games.  Doesn't seem that an inline blocker is going to be a huge part of this O either.  I think he sticks.  

Hayden Smith has 0 catches in preseason games, and almost no playing time.  Like the guy but he looks like a gone-a

Hayden Smith has 0 catches in preseason games, and almost no playing time.  Like the guy but he looks like a gone-a

Ah.  Sounds like my Dad had the wrong number.  There was a report about him having an excellent catch today. I haven't heard of Reuland doing anything and if this kid actually is a rare athlete I find it odd they would dump him now.  Cumberland and WInslow are obviously 1-2.

I'm not sure about Braylon.  Sure they might be keeping him fresh, but they basically brought him in because everybody was hurt.  If Braylon really isn't running with the ones with Holmes out that would seem like a bad sign.   I'd find it odd for Obomanu and Braylon to make the team and I think Obomanu plays specials and came over from Seattle where Idzik presumably knew of him.  Edwards may be a guy that they keep around off and on through the season.   it's unlikely anybody else will pick him up, so he is a "safe" guy to have out there and he has shown he has some ability left, and he wants to be here.

We are halfway through the preseason schedule, and the New York Jets still have a lot to answer before they open the season week one against Tampa Bay. The starting quarterback position is far from the only open discussion still going on.

So, what am I doing ?

Predicting what the roster is going to look like. What is better to do when we don’t know what the roster will be ? Take an educated guess. I am doing that this morning, starting with the offensive unit. See what you think:

QUARTERBACK

Mark Sanchez

Geno Smith

Matt Simms

One name missing is Greg McElroy. People won’t be happy about this, but I believe that ever since McElroy opened his mouth about the locker room, they have been looking for a way to get rid of him. Matt Simms seems ready to be the third string, so the Jets will take advantage of their chance.

RUNNING BACK

Chris Ivory

Bilal Powell

Khalil Bell

Chad Spann

Two notable names that are missing, Mike Goodson and Joe McKnight. Despite John Idzik’s assurance that we will see Goodson soon, I have a feeling that this is just not going to happen. There is something we are not being told, and I have a feeling it’s the fact that we won’t see him. McKnight? I think he is the odd man out. The coaching staff questions his durability, and they have guys that can return kicks.

FULLBACK

Tommy Bohanon

He is already showing himself to be more valuable than Lex Hilliard ever was, so he sticks.

WIDE RECEIVER

Santonio Holmes

Stephen Hill

Jeremy Kerley

Clyde Gates

Ryan Spadola

Ben Obomanu

I love Braylon Edwards, but I don’t get the feeling he is making this team. He is not spending enough time with the one’s to lead me to believe they have faith in him. Ryan Spadola makes the team in Chrebet-like fashion, and Obomanu sticks as a healthy veteran, especially until Tone returns.

TIGHT END

Jeff Cumberland

Kellen Winslow, Jr

Konrad Reuland

There hasn’t been enough to lead me to believe that one of the younger tight ends will make this team, and I don’t see Hayden Smith as being ready, yet.

OFFENSIVE LINE

D’Brickashaw Ferguson

Stephen Peterman

Nick Mangold

Willie Colon

Austin Howard

Oday Aboushi

Brian Winters

Erik Cook

Caleb Schlauderaff

Finally, the Jets have the opportunity to keep some talented depth on the roster. What a welcome change! And note the list for one more thing, no VLAD! I think it’s finally over.

>   http://thejetpress.com/2013/08/20/new-york-jets-roster-predictions-offense/

Good job, Kelly, and I basically agree, although I disagree with some of your picks.  

At QB, you may be right about Sims, but I'll be shocked if they trade McElroy and think it could be a mistake.  There was nothing wrong with what McElroy said.  There were attitude problems and some of the veteran leaders and Rex should have called the team out.  At least the kid showed some leadership.  If they're gonna trade him because of that (and Idzik wasn't here then), then I think they deserve to go 0-16 this year.  There have been a number of players who deserved to be traded or cut much more than McElroy.  If they cut or trade McElroy because they think Sims is better and has beaten him out, that's another thing entirely.  I haven't seen enough of Sims to judge for myself.  Based on camp reports, however, I'd say McElroy gets the 3rd QB spot and they try to sneak Sims onto the PS.

I also think you're wrong about Goodson and Spann.  Spann really hasn't shown anything.  I think Goodson is in rehab and will be here.  McKnight will be a bit of a shock, but I think Gates has shown that he can handle KOs.

I'll be stunned beyond belief if Braylon doesn't make the team.  Trying to get Spadola onto the PS would probably cause them to lose him, so they may shock everyone and keep 1 more WR than expected.  Obomanu deserves to make the team. 

On the OL, I don't think there's any way they keep both Cook and Schlauderaff since they're both backup Centers and OGs.  Vlad may suck, but he's probably the most versatile OL they have and can play both OG spots and RT.  I'll be surprised if they cut bait with him.  If Dalton Freeman hadn't gotten injured, I think he would have been a lock to make the team.  They may put him on the PUP list, IR or try to sneak him onto the PS, but fear they will lose him if they try the latter.  I'd rather keep him than Cook, and if he hadn't gotten injured and had more experience, would rather keep him over Schlauderaff.

The other possibilities are that depending upon who other teams release at TE, OG and RB, the Jets could conceivably sign one or more of those guys and Reuland, Bell or maybe even Peterman could be gone.

Keeping Braylon, but losing Cook, would give the Jets 26 offensive players.  I'll take a stab at the D players.

It's still early, but following are my predictions for the Defensive players who will make the roster.  I have 26 on offense, plus 3 STs (Folk, Malone and Purdum), so that only leaves 24 for D.

Defensive Line

Mo Wilk

Kenric Ellis

Sheldon Richardson

Antonio Garay

Quentin Coples

Junior Aumavae

Leger Douzable

Linebackers

Demario Davis

David Harris

Antwan Barnes

Garrett McIntyre

Nick Bellore

Josh Mauga

Ricky Sapp

Calvin Pace

Cornerbacks

Antonio Cromartie

Dee Milliner

Kyle Wilson

Ellis Lankster

Isaiah Trufant

Safeties

Dawan Landry

Jaiquawn Jarrett

Antonio Allen

Josh Bush

I'm not sure about Braylon. Sure they might be keeping him fresh, but they basically brought him in because everybody was hurt. If Braylon really isn't running with the ones with Holmes out that would seem like a bad sign. I'd find it odd for Obomanu and Braylon to make the team and I think Obomanu plays specials and came over from Seattle where Idzik presumably knew of him. Edwards may be a guy that they keep around off and on through the season. it's unlikely anybody else will pick him up, so he is a "safe" guy to have out there and he has shown he has some ability left, and he wants to be here.

He could be one of those guys that gets cut and re-signed after the first game to avoid guaranteeing his contract.

Dennis Waszak Jr. @DWAZ73

Rex says Peterman worked at center today. Could be the backup to Mangold. Could mean end for Schlauderaff. #Jets

2m

Looks like Peterman is the new back up Centre and Guard. Looks like they may want to keep more Recievers?

Makes sense from the perspective of roster spots if Peterman can do it.  With that said, however, he struggles enough at OG that I'm not sure it's the best idea to have him dividing his time between two positions.

Okay.  I also have the following comments.  First, JoeK, Kelly didn't write that, unless Alan Schecter from the Jets Press moonlights as a dude pretending to be a Nordic chick.  

Second, I think on the defensive side you have too many pure DTs.  Ellis, Richardson, Garay, Douzable and Aumavae are a bunch of BIG DTs.  I wouldn't expect that many of them to stick unless you expect some to work at DE and Coples to truly play a decent amount of OLB or a lot of 4-3.  If either of those are the case I'd expect less LBs.  I tend to expect at least one more DB, though they will probably add a player or two at whatever spot has injury concerns. 

Finally, I don't know why this guy brings up the lockerroom crap with McElroy.  It was ages ago.  Since then they have passed over Tebow to start the kid.  They are going to cut him now because of his bad attitude and not his arm?  Seems odd. If Simms outplays him, fine.  

Tend to agree with Shane on Braylon potentially being a guy they don't want to guarantee and he will be there when they look to add him.  It's fun to go over this stuff, but so much will depend on injuries that it's impossible. If guys like HIll and Gates are dinged and Holmes isn't going to be ready they obviously will carry more WRs.  

As for Hayden Smith, I just don't see the point in carrying a project to bail when he might start paying dividends.  Same would have been for Cumberland a year or two ago.  Ducasse may deserve to get cut, but in 2011 when everybody was hating on him it was probably too soon.  You invest in a project, you should see what you have.  Of course waiting too long is just as bad, but still...

Matt Simms is a bad, bad, bad, bad, bad quarterback. He sucked in college and he sucks as a pro. Sucks.

T0m couldn't agree more.  Until Saturday I can't remember him  throwing back to back good passes either in college or the Jets.

In garbage time Saturday, he looked the best I have ever seen him.  One thing he has in a big league cannon.   Jets have seen McElroy.  Maybe the new regime wants to take a look at Simms as the #3

T0m couldn't agree more.  Until Saturday I can't remember him  throwing back to back good passes either in college or the Jets.

In garbage time Saturday, he looked the best I have ever seen him.  One thing he has in a big league cannon.   Jets have seen McElroy.  Maybe the new regime wants to take a look at Simms as the #3

Or maybe this kid is just talking out of his ass.  He seems to put a bunch of stock with who is running with the 1's.  A guy like Braylon is a known commodity, good or bad.  Not as much reason to see him run with anybody in particular as with a guys like Spadola or Rogers.  At QB Simms has been getting third team reps. It isn't necessarily because he passed McElroy on the depth chart, but because McElroy has an ankle injury.

It's still early, but following are my predictions for the Defensive players who will make the roster.  I have 26 on offense, plus 3 STs (Folk, Malone and Purdum), so that only leaves 24 for D.

Defensive Line

Mo Wilk

Kenric Ellis

Sheldon Richardson

Antonio Garay

Quentin Coples

Junior Aumavae

Leger Douzable

No "Snacks"?  I would see him sticking over Junior, who could probably be stashed on the PS if he's eligible. 

Despite John Idzik’s assurance that we will see Goodson soon, I have a feeling that this is just not going to happen. There is something we are not being told, and I have a feeling it’s the fact that we won’t see him.

I haven't seen these assurances. I'd love to see them, though. Has anyone else seen them? There can be no doubt that Idzik wants Goodson over Spann or Bell.

At WR, Braylon being cut for the first game then brought back makes some sense, but he only gets paid $840k, with just $555k counting against the cap. I don't know if it's even worth it to play with him like that if they want him on the roster. The main reason to not guarantee his deal would be because they know somewhere down the line they plan on cutting him. But again, the savings aren't huge.

If they see more upside in Simms than McElroy, I have no problem with that swap. McElroy's upside is a poor man's Chad Pennington. You'd like to think they can do better than that.

A diminished but healthy Braylon brings a ton more to the table than Spadola and Obama.

Braylon had that nice sideline catch against Jax, but I get the feeling Idzik is going to go with youth over aging vets and that means Spadola sticks. I have been rooting for this guy and I do like Bray, but I think his time has passed.

I am all in as far as dumping Vlad Ducasse. He was an 'ego' pick by Tannenbaum who picked up Mike Hickey-itis in that draft. In other words he thought he knew something no one else did as he wasted a second round pick on a guy he could have had as an UFA. Look where he played, the mighty football factory that is UMass.

LOL @ Spadola or Obamawhoever making it over Braylon. 

I think it comes down to do Obomanu and Braylon are fighting it out for one spot, so I'm not sure Spadola factors in.  This team is clearly heavily focused on bringing in young talent with potential this year and I find it highly unlikely they'll run the risk of pushing Spadola down to the practice squad with how well he's performed for them, just to keep one more mediocre veteran.  Between Obomanu and Braylon, the other things to consider here is that: 1) Obomanu is an "Idzik guy" (was brought over from Seattle), while Braylon's time in Seattle went very, very badly, 2) Idzik brought Obomanu in looooong before he did Braylon which speaks ever further to how he feels about both, and finally 3) Obomanu plays special teams, Braylon does not.  Given that, despite Jets' fans love for the guy, there's a good chance Braylon doesn't make this squad.

The ONLY way I see both of these guys making it is if the Jets think Holmes is still a long way from returning and they're not nearly as happy with some of their young guys (Hill, Gates) as we've been led to believe.

I think it comes down to do Obomanu and Braylon are fighting it out for one spot, so I'm not sure Spadola factors in.  This team is clearly heavily focused on bringing in young talent with potential this year and I find it highly unlikely they'll run the risk of pushing Spadola down to the practice squad with how well he's performed for them, just to keep one more mediocre veteran.  Between Obomanu and Braylon, the other things to consider here is that: 1) Obomanu is an "Idzik guy" (was brought over from Seattle), while Braylon's time in Seattle went very, very badly, 2) Idzik brought Obomanu in looooong before he did Braylon which speaks ever further to how he feels about both, and finally 3) Obomanu plays special teams, Braylon does not.  Given that, despite Jets' fans love for the guy, there's a good chance Braylon doesn't make this squad.

The ONLY way I see both of these guys making it is if the Jets think Holmes is still a long way from returning and they're not nearly as happy with some of their young guys (Hill, Gates) as we've been led to believe.

I don't think Obamanu is anyone's "guy" Idzik included.  He's a warm body on a team that needed warm bodies.  If he gets cut then 10 minutes into the season no one will remember that he was in camp.

If he makes it over Braylon it's because Braylon didn't do anything to noticeably separate himself from Obamanu plus, as you mentioned, that he plays specials.  Even if Braylon is a better WR, if he's 4th (or lower) on the depth chart it won't matter, and the team will be better off this year with Obamanu on special teams all year over the 16 catches and 2 TDs Braylon would likely finish with.

If Holmes comes back, Braylon's days are numbered and it's better news for Obamanu just because of the special teams diversity.  If Holmes is PUP'd, then Edwards has a better chance because I could technically see him starting if Hill gets banged up again and I couldn't say that about Obamanu.

Also, as far as Hayden Smith goes, as others have pointed out the infatuation with him started with a bunch of people who are no longer employed by this team, so I wouldn't be particularly shocked to see him not make the cut.  I think there's a good chance they still toss him back onto the PS, as I've yet to see anything that has me convinced other teams would be in a mad dash to scoop him up.  If they like other guys on the roster better than him, they're not going to be influenced by the love Tanny and Sparano had for him.

I don't think Obamanu is anyone's "guy" Idzik included.  He's a warm body on a team that needed warm bodies.  If he gets cut then 10 minutes into the season no one will remember that he was in camp.

If he makes it over Braylon it's because Braylon didn't do anything to noticeably separate himself from Obamanu plus, as you mentioned, that he plays specials.  Even if Braylon is a better WR, if he's 4th (or lower) on the depth chart it won't matter, and the team will be better off this year with Obamanu on special teams all year over the 16 catches and 2 TDs Braylon would likely finish with.

If Holmes comes back, Braylon's days are numbered and it's better news for Obamanu just because of the special teams diversity.  If Holmes is PUP'd, then Edwards has a better chance because I could technically see him starting if Hill gets banged up again and I couldn't say that about Obamanu.

I don't disagree with you, and as far as the "Idzik guy" comment, I get what you're saying and didn't necessarily mean it to the kind of extent where he's in any way guaranteed a roster spot or anyone is in love with him.  Rather, I think it's fair to say that his current place on this team is thanks in no small part to Idzik's history with the guy, which is far more positive than Idzik's history with Braylon.  Either way, like you said, the factors that are most likely to play into it are special teams play and health of the other WRs.  Regardless, I can't imagine the Jets tossing to the curb a young guy who has shown them what Spadola has in favor of keeping two mediocre old vets.

We're all diehards so I love it....but this back end roster discussion really is great. There's a new camp favorite every year that never amounts to anything in the league. I'd bet Spadola falls into that category.

Perhaps, yet it still wouldn't be all that difficult to count on him to match the production of either Edwards or Obomanu from last year, and unlike them, at least there's some sort of potential upside with him.

Braylon had that nice sideline catch against Jax, but I get the feeling Idzik is going to go with youth over aging vets and that means Spadola sticks. I have been rooting for this guy and I do like Bray, but I think his time has passed.

He did the whole no name movement last year. Its time to get some work done this season. We have space for youth, but not at the expense of all our receivers being new to the game. 

Archived