Cimini: Rex Skips Cutdown Day to Visit Son

flgreen

His son is a walk on who did not play.

Seems either ridiculously unaware of his cricumstance, or totally knowing he is really done here. More proof Woody is a cheap bastid who should've fired him the same day he canned Tannenbaum.

I'd pay money to watch Rex answer this question the next time he interviews for a head coaching job.

GM: Soooooo, you missed one of the bigger procedural days of the year to--let's see--fly down to Clemson to watch your son play football?

Rex: Haha, well, no, he uh, uh, didn't play exactly. He's way down on the depth chart haha. Walk-on, you know. Haha had to pull some strings there. Haha.

GM: Soooooo you missed one of the bigger procedural days of the year tooooo...watch your son...not play?

Rex: Right. Haha. No biggie though, right? Haha. I mean, what, like anyone was gonna let me pick any players? Hahaha. Jeez.

GM: ...

The guy was there all day in the parking lot partying...lol.

What a great father Rex is! Christ...he could have flown down 4 hours prior to kickoff and arrived on the spot for an 8pm game. I really dont care either way, but championing Rex as father of the year is hysterical. 

The guy was off from January to August. Im sure he spent plenty of time with his son in Spain.

So, Rex, (who I personally don't care for as a coach or otherwise) is supposed to not go to his sons game and tell him, what?

"Well, Junior, I would've gone, really, but the problem is you suck, you see.  So it's really just not worth it for me.  Give me a call when you make the punt team and we'll talk."  That's not how real life works.  It just isn't.  Cut downs are decided way before cutdown day.  Days, even weeks before.  Some guys are just camp bodies and others are injured, and others are bubble players with a chance, but never get the opportunity to impress.  Then there's the true final competition spots.  They get decided by position coaches more than head coaches, and almost never by GM's.  GM's execute the cuts and work out the contracts and generally handle the more clerical end of it.  I guarantee you Idzik did not make the final call on Chad Spann or seventh lineman to stick.  And I think we all know that.  So why do pretend it means something else at the end of the day when Rex goes to see his son suit up for Clemson for the first time?  It's just agenda driven opinion.  And a nice chum slick for the media  frenzy.

While this is a clear negligence of epic proportions and just a down right terrible decision to go to his sons Football game,  I'm pretty sure he was accessible to the team via this amazing technological advancement called the smart phone.  These phones allow you to reach people in numerous different ways.  Some of those smart phones, allow you to view each other while speaking.

Another thing to consider is, the roster is an ongoing conversation.  Some of the decisions and conversations possibly happened prior to Rex leaving to see his son and abandon his team in such a critical situation. 

While this is a clear negligence of epic proportions and just a down right terrible decision to go to his sons Football game,  I'm pretty sure he was accessible to the team via this amazing technological advancement called the smart phone.  These phone allow you to reach people in numerous different ways.  Some of those smart phones, allow you to view each other while speaking.

Another thing to consider is, the roster is an ongoing conversation.  Some of the decisions and conversation possibly happened prior to Rex leaving to see his son and abandon his team in such a critical situation. 

"John- the rockies are turning blue, I gotta go"

More tough guys talking crap without being named.

Rex Ryan’s decision to skip cut-down day to watch his son, Seth, a freshman walk-on wide receiver at Clemson, face Georgia in South Carolina has come under scrutiny.

Manish Mehta of the New York Daily News reports Jets general manager John Idzik, who excused Ryan, and his confidantes spent Saturday finalizing cuts and formulating plans to put in waiver wire claims to bolster the team.

Ryan was out of town during this pivotal period for the first time since taking over as head coach in 2009.

“I’ve never heard of that before,” an NFC executive said. “It’s crazy.”

Ryan defended his absence.

“It’s not like I’m going to be able to go to another game,” Ryan said Monday. “It just so happened that I could make that one: It was a night game. So that’s really what I did. I took advantage of it. It was great. I just played dad there for a day and it was a lot of fun.”

“He’s got zero influence,” a source close to the situation said about Ryan. “(He) doesn’t care and he is letting everyone know. He just shows up for his check... It’s a big F.U. to all the players.”

Ironic... its always a NFC excecutive lol... recycling bull sh*t sources ... he WILL get caught up one day... I hate Manish

More tough guys talking crap without being named.

Rex Ryan’s decision to skip cut-down day  to watch his son, Seth, a freshman walk-on wide receiver at Clemson, face Georgia in South Carolina has come under scrutiny.

Manish Mehta of the New York Daily News reports Jets general manager John Idzik, who excused Ryan, and his confidantes spent Saturday finalizing cuts and formulating plans to put in waiver wire claims to bolster the team.

Ryan was out of town during this pivotal period for the first time since taking over as head coach in 2009.

“I’ve never heard of that before,” an NFC executive said. “It’s crazy.”

Ryan defended his absence.

“It’s not like I’m going to be able to go to another game,” Ryan said Monday. “It just so happened that I could make that one: It was a night game. So that’s really what I did. I took advantage of it. It was great. I just played dad there for a day and it was a lot of fun.”

“He’s got zero influence,” a source close to the situation said about Ryan. “(He) doesn’t care and he is letting everyone know. He just shows up for his check... It’s a big F.U. to all the players.”

absolute bull they said its common to have cuts determined even before 4th preseason game

everyone non anonymous has said its fine and doesnt matter

Ironic... its always a NFC excecutive lol... recycling bull sh*t sources ... he WILL get caught up one day... I hate Manish

What would be really funny is that "NFL executive" was employed by the Houston Texans.  Why?  Because Gary Kubiak did the same thing but you dont see that making headlines.

Un-*******-real.

What would be really funny is that "NFL executive" was employed by the Houston Texans.  Why?  Because Gary Kubiak did the same thing but you dont see that making headlines.

Un-*******-real.

But its unprecedented! 

Mehta is a jackass. 

What happened to him? He used to be good at his job. Is he trying to get hired by ESPN now?

I'd pay money to watch Rex answer this question the next time he interviews for a head coaching job.

GM: Soooooo, you missed one of the bigger procedural days of the year to--let's see--fly down to Clemson to watch your son play football?

Rex: Haha, well, no, he uh, uh, didn't play exactly. He's way down on the depth chart haha. Walk-on, you know. Haha had to pull some strings there. Haha.

GM: Soooooo you missed one of the bigger procedural days of the year tooooo...watch your son...not play?

Rex: Right. Haha. No biggie though, right? Haha. I mean, what, like anyone was gonna let me pick any players? Hahaha. Jeez.

Commentary from someone who's named his bartender as his "person to contact in case of emergency."

But its unprecedented!

Mehta is a jackass.

What happened to him? He used to be good at his job. Is he trying to get hired by ESPN now?

He's been getting worse and worse since some source told him we weren't getting Tebow, then we got Tebow, like, the next day.

Who would be enough of an a$$hole to ask him that? Jeff Ireland?

I'm starting to think you might be Mehta's anonymous source. 

I changed my mind

I watched hard knocks last night.  lewis met with every cut, as rex should have

and seth is a walk on who wasn't going to play

boo boo by rex here

Apparently Gary Kubiak saw his son play for Texas A&M Saturday, but only stayed for the game and it was near Houston anyway.

Someone has to lower the boom, if politely, and that should be the head coach. No indication Kubiak ditched that job. Wrecks did.

Un-*******-real.

It's probably the Giants.  They're local, and as we all know, the Jets' beat writers are ******* lazy.  They're easily accessible for a few anonymous quotes.

I changed my mind

I watched hard knocks last night.  lewis met with every cut, as rex should have

and seth is a walk on who wasn't going to play

boo boo by rex here

That's interesting, considering after watching Hard Knocks I found myself interested that nobody was tearing into Lewis for the fact that there were a number of players who were given the news about their cuts by their position coaches.

Archived