Eddie Lacy is a popular choice for Offensive Rookie of the Year,

SickJetFan

yet with our 2nd pick we took Geno Smith instead and traded our 4th pick for a "so far" gimpy legged back

discuss

The Jets, with absolutely nothing worth a damn at QB, the most important position in football, opted to take a QB over a RB.

The Packers, with a QB who is a former NFL MVP and the man widely considered to be the best QB in the NFL, opted to take a RB much later in that same round.

I feel fairly confident nobody would be touting Lacy as the future OROY if he were a Jet.

Of all offensive positions, RB requires the least acclimation to the pro game. Further, Lacy is playing RB for a team that also has a prolific passing game already, so he is in a very good situation to rack up yards against defenses overplaying the pass.

Unless you think Geno is going to put up Netwon/Wilson/Luck numbers in this offense, Lacy makes much more sense.

What's their to discuss?  QB's > RB's.  Especially when you're the Jets and you didnt have a viable QB.

FWIW, every team in the league passed on the future offensive rookie of the year.

uhm no

Adrian Peterson > Christian Ponder who

I can come up  with lots more

Jets have needed a RB since CM retired

I see a lot of post saying "hmm ehuh well if geno not that good like then we can always draft one of the good QB in 2014 draft" (using my whining make fun of people voice")

uhm no

Adrian Peterson > Christian Ponder who

I can come up  with lots more

Jets have needed a RB since CM retired

I see a lot of post saying "hmm ehuh well if geno not that good like then we can always draft one of the good QB in 2014 draft" (using my whining make fun of people voice")

Guess I'm not following your point.  The Vikings agreed with you that AP > CP because AP was the 7th overall pick and CP was the 12th.  Doesnt change the fact that a QB is more valuable than a RB and the Jets had the worst QB situation in the NFL heading into the draft therefore took that more valuable position with their 2nd round pick. 

Geno was a smart pick. Even if he sucks...it was worth a shot with the second round pick. Glad that actually he's starting day 1. If the boat sinks jets will have a new head coach and be in the running for Bridgewater next year. Even within the second tier of QBs next yr there should e better talent to pick from than this past draft.

We can root for Geno to prove himself and if not they should have a decent back up plan.

Plus Geno's not breaking the bank and this years Huge cap hit on Sanchez will be greatly reduced.

Guess I'm not following your point.  The Vikings agreed with you that AP > CP because AP was the 7th overall pick and CP was the 12th.  Doesnt change the fact that a QB is more valuable than a RB and the Jets had the worst QB situation in the NFL heading into the draft therefore took that more valuable position with their 2nd round pick.

Not following ur point either since they had the worst running back situation too

Take off the blinders dude, what's the luv affair with jets braintrust? I think this group is worse than when bradway was running things and drafting kickers in 2nd round or trading 2nd round picks for washouts

The fact that drafting and developing a good QB is worse than a coin flip these days means you have to keep taking a QB if you don't have one until you find a good one. You over come the poor odds of finding a gem by continuing to be committed to finding one. Geno may not be the one, but he has a shot and doesn't make very much. Go get another next year if you have to. To me, drafting a RB with a high pick is a dumb move when they are good for like three years in a lot of cases.

Geno was a smart pick. Even if he sucks...it was worth a shot with the second round pick. Glad that actually he's starting day 1. If the boat sinks jets will have a new head coach and be in the running for Bridgewater next year. Even within the second tier of QBs next yr there should e better talent to pick from than this past draft.

We can root for Geno to prove himself and if not they should have a decent back up plan.

Plus Geno's not breaking the bank and this years Huge cap hit on Sanchez will be greatly reduced.

Uhm no

There is huge hole in that logic, bigger than the hole between miley cyrus legs

And that is EVERY uarterbach sucks 1st year with exception of very few

Uhm no

A 16 game schedule and a full year should provide the Jets enough intel as to whether or not Geno Smith can play QB in the NFL. It's not like it's a Sanchez situation that's going keep the team straddled to his salary or contract. He was a second round pick. Not the end of the world. Your premise that there won't be enough to evaluate by the end of the year is cute yet as naive as a young Hannah Montana. If the jets go 3-13, Geno looks terrible and doesn't improve they're taking a QB in the first next year.

Not following ur point either since they had the worst running back situation too

Take off the blinders dude, what's the luv affair with jets braintrust? I think this group is worse than when bradway was running things and drafting kickers in 2nd round or trading 2nd round picks for washouts

I've been critical -or at least objective- when discussing the Jets' new front office, I'd've been much more critical if they passed on Geno for Lacy.

Not sure what blinders I have on.  I've been openly critical of some of the decisions.  That said, I'd like to see the product before we've determine they're failures.  I'd also like to see Lacy play a game of Football before I call him the OROY.  Who's to say Geno isnt?  You never know.

Maybe thats the problem, I think its a silly point.  While you might be right about these predictions, its certainly not hard to see why the Jets chose to draft a QB who was projected top 5 in the 2nd round over a RB who was basically taken in the 3rd.  They are desperate for a QB which is the most important position in all of sports and not a RB which is a position that is losing its value, year after year. 

5f7.jpeg

Uhm no

You're the only one with a hole in your logic.

So most QBs suck their 1st year?  You don't draft players for just their first year in the league.  That's not just dumb, it's very dumb. Very good RBs can be found in middle and lower rounds and even as UDFAs.

Offensive Rookie of the Year watch:

Eddie Lacy - 14 carries, 41 yards, 2.9 ypc - 1 TD, 1 fumble lost - long 7 yards - lost their opener

Geno Smith - 24/38 256 yards, 1 TD, 1 INT, 1 fumble lost, 6 carries 47 yards, 7.8 ypc - led the Jets to victory

Advantage: Geno Smith

Bahahaha.  Love it.

The 2 most impressive rookies this week were EJ Manuel and Geno Smith, in that order.  It's a QB league, folks.

Archived