Sunday notes: All rookies not created equal

September, 15, 2013
Sep 15
12:15
PM ET
By Rich Cimini | ESPNNewYork.com
  •  
A Sunday without Jets football doesn't mean a Sunday without notes:

1. Double standard: In Idzik World, every player is in a week-to-week competition. (Note: See QB Geno Smith.) Okay, we get it, but how does he explain this? Despite missing the entire offseason because of shoulder surgery, and showing up a few days late to training camp because of his contract, rookie CB Dee Milliner (No. 9 overall pick) was elevated to a starting role after three days of practice. He replaced veteran Kyle Wilson, a serviceable player. He also got the job ahead of veteran Darrin Walls, who was praised by Rex Ryan for his play in camp. Milliner was hardly stellar, but he remained a starter even though he missed two preseason games, playing in only 84 defensive snaps.

Clearly, he wasn't ready. Milliner was uneven in the opener, allowing a touchdown pass, and he struggled so much against the Patriots that he was benched at halftime. He may have busted the coverage on the Patriots' only touchdown, and he was saved by replay on what appeared to be another touchdown. Frankly, I'm surprised Ryan responded with a quick hook (not usually his style), but good for him. It teaches accountability. The day after the game, he wouldn't commit to Milliner as a starter for next week, letting the rookie twist in the wind. Maybe Ryan realizes they erred in anointing Milliner so quickly. It was very un-Idzik-like.

2. Positive signs: The Jets may not win a lot of games, but they will be competitive. With good defense and a solid running game, they can overachieve as long as they get game-manager performances out of the quarterback position. All Smith had to do was throw two interceptions, not three, and they might have upset the Patriots.

3. Johnny Scout: Idzik was in College Station, Texas, Saturday to check out the Texas A&M-Alabama game, according to the New York Daily News. A lot of talent and big names in that game, starting with Johnny Football. But maybe Idzik was there to scout more than Johnny Manziel, AJ McCarron & Co. Could it be that he also had his eye on Alabama coach Nick Saban?

4. What's up with Brick?: This has been an uncharacteristic start for LT D'Brickashaw Ferguson. He already has two penalties (only three in 2012) and he has allowed one sack and seven quarterback hurries, according to Pro Football Focus. A year ago, he surrendered two sacks and 19 hurries. But the most atypical moment was his ejection for throwing a punch during the end-of-game melee in Foxborough. It was stunning because Ferguson is one of the most even-tempered players I've ever met. His outburst, clearly born of frustration, reminded me of Shaun Ellis flinging his helmet in the final seconds of a home loss to the Patriots in 2008. Sometimes you just can't take it anymore.

5. Another stunner: I'm trying to figure out which was more shocking, Ferguson throwing a punch or LG Vladimir Ducasse pancaking DT Vince Wilfork on Bilal Powell's touchdown run? I'll say this for Ducasse: He played a nice game against one of the best interior lineman in the league.

6. Hidden gems: Interesting note about the Jets' starting lineup. They have almost as many former seventh-round picks and undrafted free agents (six) as former first-round picks (eight). The undrafted group consists of RT Austin Howard, TE Jeff Cumberland, NT Damon Harrison and LB Garrett McIntyre, and the seventh-rounders are S Antonio Allen and FB Tommy Bohanon. That's a tribute to former GM Mike Tannenbaum and his staff. At the same time, it could be a knock because it didn't do better with first-round picks.

7. Mark of class: Mark Sanchez has displayed an occasional lack of maturity over the years, most recently with the embarrassing half-naked home video that made the Internet in July, but he has handled ShoulderGate with total professionalism. He has every right to question the organization for its missteps along the way, but he's taking the high road, saying all the right things.

8. Welcome to Mark's world: Patriots QB Tom Brady got a taste of what it was like for Sanchez last season, throwing to a bunch of backups and no names. One of the best quarterbacks in history was held to Tebow-esque numbers, proving that even the great ones need help. But there was one thing Brady didn't do that Sanchez did 26 times last season -- he didn't commit a turnover.

9. Colorful solution: Look, we all know the Jets' receiving corps has drop issues, dating to last spring, but you can't say they've been avoiding the matter. Receivers coach Sanjay Lal created a practice drill to help with concentration. He painted the tips of footballs with different colors, and the receiver is required to shout out the color as soon as he identifies it. Maybe they should try to sneak some paint brushes into the huddle on game day.

10. Pee-Week rivals: C Nick Mangold and QB Brady Quinn go back a long way. They played against each other in the fifth grade, when Quinn's travel team in Columbus, Ohio, made the 70-mile trek to Dayton to take on Mangold's team. Quinn said his team was so loaded that it had to leave the Columbus area to find worthy opponents. It found one in Mangold & Co., a team that also included Packers LB A.J. Hawk. Quinn lost. Twenty years later, their lockers are side by side. Kind of cool, huh?

no rookies are ever treated equal. Look at the long rope Eli Manning was given. He absolutely stunk his first year or two. If it was somebody else, he would have been out of the league, but some guy get lots of chances until they finally come into their own...  If Geno stinks this year, we will run him out of town, but Giants didn't do that with Eli, obviously because of his pedigree and high draft status.

7. Mark of class: Mark Sanchez has displayed an occasional lack of maturity over the years, most recently with the embarrassing half-naked home video that made the Internet in July, but he has handled ShoulderGate with total professionalism. He has every right to question the organization for its missteps along the way, but he's taking the high road, saying all the right things.

Excuse me? This has to be a joke.

Saying essentially, "I was the one who really won the QB competition, not Geno Smith," is absolutely NOT taking the high road.  It's Sanchez acting like an immature f*cking baby who can't deal with adversity.  The guy had three MAJOR screw ups in each of the three pre-season games during an all-out competition.  If he "won" anything it only would have been by default with Smith losing it (while injured).  It's made all the more embarrassing by Ryan responding that Sanchez hadn't yet won jack sh*t. 

It isn't bad enough someone on the team supposedly leaking that there was some internal controversy (among whom was never said) with Smith vs. Simms.  Smith first has to endure this douchebag sounding off to the NY media that "I'm better than Geno is and I earned the job that he has and he has it only because I got hurt and blah blah blah."  Sanchez is injured and should be keeping his mouth shut to the media unless he's saying something in support of the guys who are on the field.  I don't think this exactly qualifies as being supportive or taking any kind of high road.

What's (likely) worse is that this is just what he says to the media.  Anyone seriously think he's saying this to reporters but is totally keeping mum on the subject to the rest of his buddies on the team behind Geno's back? Fat freaking chance. 

Sunday notes: All rookies not created equal

September, 15, 2013
Sep 15
12:15
PM ET
By Rich Cimini | ESPNNewYork.com
  •  

4. What's up with Brick?: This has been an uncharacteristic start for LT <a data-ipb="nomediaparse" data-cke-saved-href="http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/_/id/9590/d" href="http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/_/id/9590/d" brickashaw-ferguson"="">D'Brickashaw Ferguson. He already has two penalties (only three in 2012) and he has allowed one sack and seven quarterback hurries, according to Pro Football Focus. A year ago, he surrendered two sacks and 19 hurries. But the most atypical moment was his ejection for throwing a punch during the end-of-game melee in Foxborough. It was stunning because Ferguson is one of the most even-tempered players I've ever met. His outburst, clearly born of frustration, reminded me of Shaun Ellis flinging his helmet in the final seconds of a home loss to the Patriots in 2008. Sometimes you just can't take it anymore.

Was his frustration from the fight, his poor play or the fact that he is suffering through another QB who is spitting the ball up in a key spot? Any human that wasn't frustrated with that 4th quarter Thursday is a freak..

6. Hidden gems: Interesting note about the Jets' starting lineup. They have almost as many former seventh-round picks and undrafted free agents (six) as former first-round picks (eight). The undrafted group consists of RT Austin Howard, TE Jeff Cumberland, NT Damon Harrison and LB Garrett McIntyre, and the seventh-rounders are S Antonio Allen and FB Tommy Bohanon. That's a tribute to former GM Mike Tannenbaum and his staff. At the same time, it could be a knock because it didn't do better with first-round picks.

No.  It's a testament to their inability to pick players in rounds 2-6. Hell it's a testament to the failure of even having picks in rounds 2-6..  

Was his frustration from the fight, his poor play or the fact that he is suffering through another QB who is spitting the ball up in a key spot? Any human that wasn't frustrated with that 4th quarter Thursday is a freak..

No.  It's a testament to their inability to pick players in rounds 2-6. Hell it's a testament to the failure of even having picks in rounds 2-6..  

I think we can make it even simpler than that.  It's a testament to the fact that the entire team was so poorly built from top to bottom (draft, FA, whatever) that the Jets are desperate enough to be starting numerous guys who should not be starting and wouldn't be starting for most (if not all) other NFL teams.

I think we can make it even simpler than that.  It's a testament to the fact that the entire team was so poorly built from top to bottom (draft, FA, whatever) that the Jets are desperate enough to be starting numerous guys who should not be starting and wouldn't be starting for most (if not all) other NFL teams.

How many teams have 8 years worth of first rounders still kicking around?

How many teams have 8 years worth of first rounders still kicking around?

I think that's a bit of a misrepresentation of the facts.  Yes, Brick and Mangold are still kicking around, which is great, but the picks from 2007 and 2008 (2 of them) are all gone, the 2009 pick would be long gone if not for that idiotic contract extension and still already has one foot out the door, and the rest are all on their rookie contracts.  So it's not exactly like the Jets have been striking gold with all of their first rounders either.  Though my main point was really that while the articles tries to pat the Jets on the back for the number of 7th rounders / UDFAs the Jets have starting, a lot of those guys would not even have a chance to compete for a starting spot if not for how poor of a job Tanny did with this roster.

On a side note, looking in hindsight at the first round of the 2006 draft, that's not a particularly impressive group all things considered, and the Jets currently have a pretty good portion of the players from that group who lived up to their draft position when you add Cromartie and Holmes to their own picks (with some very obvious exceptions like Ngata, Davis, and a couple more).

I think that's a bit of a misrepresentation of the facts.  Yes, Brick and Mangold are still kicking around, which is great, but the picks from 2007 and 2008 (2 of them) are all gone, the 2009 pick would be long gone if not for that idiotic contract extension and still already has one foot out the door, and the rest are all on their rookie contracts.  So it's not exactly like the Jets have been striking gold with all of their first rounders either.  Though my main point was really that while the articles tries to pat the Jets on the back for the number of 7th rounders / UDFAs the Jets have starting, a lot of those guys would not even have a chance to compete for a starting spot if not for how poor of a job Tanny did with this roster.

On a side note, looking in hindsight at the first round of the 2006 draft, that's not a particularly impressive group all things considered, and the Jets currently have a pretty good portion of the players from that group who lived up to their draft position when you add Cromartie and Holmes to their own picks (with some very obvious exceptions like Ngata, Davis, and a couple more).

I'm not misrepresenting sh*t.  I just wasn't responding to your point.  I was just pointing out that it is another indication of the unconventional nature of the team.  I wasn't saying that having 8 first rounders starting indicates any kind of draft acumen.  I'm pointing out that if you have 8 first rounders it isn't likely that they are all yours.  

Positive comments in a Cimini article (#2 and #5), and even nice information (#3 & #9)?  For a minute, I was wondering if Cimini had been replaced by a pod person, but then he stayed true to form, with faulty analysis, mistakes and negative comments.

I did like the that Idzik was scouting the A&M/Alabama game and Lal's use of colors to try to help the stupid WRs who can't focus long enough to catch a pass.

Good post.  While I agree with you that it has to be frustrating to block for QBs who continually turn it over, Brick ought to understand that rookies are going to make mistakes, and as long as his play is subpar, he really has no right to get frustrated with his QB since his mistakes can lead to QB mistakes.  

Well said with regard to the makeup of the roster.  It's totally laughable that he was praising Tanny.  It is NOT a good thing for a team to have that many 7th round picks and UDFAs on the roster, much less starting.  That's an indictment of Tanny's trading up and handling of the roster.  If Cimini knew anything at all about the game, he'd know that.

Nick Saban quit on the Fish not lon ago.  I doubt any competent NFL team will hire him as HC so soon after the Miami debacle.  It took Pete Carroll almost 20 years.

I don't think Saban has any desires to return to the NFL.  He's making a bloody fortune at Alabama, is treated like royalty and has a perennial top 3 team (if not #1) in the best collegiate football conference.  Why would he want to have to go to the NFL, start from scratch, have to deal with the egos of the pros, a possibly meddling owner and GM,  and only to probably have to struggle through some losing seasons again?  The only reason would be if he got bored with winning at Alabama or got caught up in some scandal and was forced out at Alabama.

Nick Saban quit on the Fish not lon ago.  I doubt any competent NFL team will hire him as HC so soon after the Miami debacle.  It took Pete Carroll almost 20 years.

leaving Alabama to coach the Jets is like leaving the Playboy Mansion to join a monastery. Nick Saban is the King of Alabama and has more money than he could ever spend... why would he subject himself to the torture of coaching this team in this city?  

To be fair, Howard and Harrison would be starting for a fair number of teams. 

3. Johnny Scout: Idzik was in College Station, Texas, Saturday to check out the Texas A&M-Alabama game, according to the New York Daily News. A lot of talent and big names in that game, starting with Johnny Football. But maybe Idzik was there to scout more than Johnny Manziel, AJ McCarron & Co. Could it be that he also had his eye on Alabama coach Nick Saban?

I'd love to hear that pitch.  

2. Positive signs: The Jets may not win a lot of games, but they will be competitive. With good defense and a solid running game, they can overachieve as long as they get game-manager performances out of the quarterback position. All Smith had to do was throw two interceptions, not three, and they might have upset the Patriots.

Where is this solid running game, Rich?  I thought I spotted it briefly in the 1st quarter of the NE game but I might have been drinking too hard.

Archived