Why No Small Quick Back In Leon, Tomlinson Mode?

kelticwizard

The Jets got Ivory to basically replace Shonn and got Mike Goodson to be a Leon/Tomlinson type quick back.

They picked up Curtis Spann and another guy to replace Goodson in camp, but both were cut.

Until Goodson returns, we have no quick back for quick pitches etc. and being a threat to run after the catch.

Through the years, players who can do this are usually available.   Why are we waiting for Goodson to come back to fill this role?  I can see cutting the guy once Goodson returns, but why leave that aspect of the offense dormant until then?

A young QB needs all the help he can get.

True about McKnight.

But we got Goodson to replace him during the offseason, so we really didn't think that much of him, we just gave him a chance to show he'd improved.

Then McKnight got injured early on in preseason, and Goodson's arrest/rehab/suspension-I think we knew what we had coming early on.

There just didn't seem to be an emphasis on getting somebody to fit that role.

A few nice plays by the substitute could take the pressure off Geno, help him get some momentum going.

Maybe because, amazingly to some, it might be the case that the RB's we currently have on the roster are significantly better than whatever trash is on the streets?  

Rather than looking at random FA's at RB and WR we might as well focus on what improvements we see from the skill players we already have.  You might find some encouraging signs over the course of the season if you look closely enough.

He's not bad, he might be better than Ivory and he's certainly quicker than Shonn.  But I don't think he's got the super-quickness to be a breakaway or yards after catch threat we need.

He's probably more an Ahmad Bradshaw who might be able to catch passes than anything else. I would love a Peterson or McCoy, but I'm plenty fine with Geno throwing passes this year. Used properly the three RBs might turn out to be surprisingly productive anyway. 

It's more than having an effective running game.  Tomlinson's first year here I thought he helped Sanchez and the Jets offense immensely.  The opposing defenses had to cover things they didn't before or since, and that year Sanchez and the offense looked like they were coming into their own.  Fewer three and outs, more rhythm, etc.

The next year Tomlinson got older, Braylon was not there either for pass catching or blocking, and the offense lost a lot.

That's what having that breakaway threat in the backfield can do for you, even if only used part-time.

Maybe because, amazingly to some, it might be the case that the RB's we currently have on the roster are significantly better than whatever trash is on the streets?  

Rather than looking at random FA's at RB and WR we might as well focus on what improvements we see from the skill players we already have.  You might find some encouraging signs over the course of the season if you look closely enough.

80 in a true rebuild mode which we are in on offense 1 maybe 2 of our current skill players may stick most will be gone for various reasons. The offensive side of the ball (and I do mean Offensive) could look very different in one or 2 years.

I can see Kerley Sticking maybe Hill but the rest ? Talking Skill players this team stinks .........Its always the same story, QB holds the ball too long....At some point you have to look at the skill players and say can these guys get open consistently? Sure we see a player running open from time to time but that does not mean its available every play and it also could mean in that split second the QB might have turned away from that option.

Also while you may very well be correct in yor statement about the RB's and whats on the street I think when it comes to the WR's discounting age we could probably replace the entire corps f WR's with whats on the street and if this team handles it right next year they may all very well be gone.

I would love to see the Jets persue Jimmy Graham this offseason try and draft a stud in the early rounds at the WR position and at the RB position and basically stick to offense the only options I would consider on defense is a LB or a safety if one falls to us we think has top value hen make the pick.

If you are capable of Landing Graham you keep Winslow and attack the hell out of the middle of the field until teams adjust then attack the outside and for once become more than something one dimentional on offense

I would love to see the Jets persue Jimmy Graham this offseason try and draft a stud in the early rounds at the WR position and at the RB position and basically stick to offense the only options I would consider on defense is a LB or a safety if one falls to us we think has top value hen make the pick.

If you are capable of Landing Graham you keep Winslow and attack the hell out of the middle of the field until teams adjust then attack the outside and for once become more than something one dimentional on offense

We have yet to see how Ivory is gonna work out, but I tend to be leery of going after guys who put up huge numbers playing for a high powered offense in a dome, and hoping that somehow translates to playing on the Jets in Giants Stadium II. But they do need to focus on offense in free agency, so they're freer to go BAP in the draft.

We have yet to see how Ivory is gonna work out, but I tend to be leery of going after guys who put up huge numbers playing for a high powered offense in a dome, and hoping that somehow translates to playing on the Jets in Giants Stadium II. But they do need to focus on offense in free agency, so they're freer to go BAP in the draft.

I can see the Dome argument when it comes to QB's and Kickers but not TE's I mean the guy is like 6-7 and catches everything even remotely close to him He is elite and IMO has the chance to open up this entire offense. I think if he is available we jump all over it.  

I agree on Ivory but damn the guy is always nicked up and that worries most organizations

I can see the Dome argument when it comes to QB's and Kickers but not TE's I mean the guy is like 6-7 and catches everything even remotely close to him He is elite and IMO has the chance to open up this entire offense. I think if he is available we jump all over it.  

I agree on Ivory but damn the guy is always nicked up and that worries most organizations

Yeah I see no argument against going after Graham.  Graham does equally well outside of the dome as he does inside of it.  

Dude I just got Rep from 80 which tells me, not just the Planets, but the entire universe has aligned which by default makes you a tremendous loser of this argument :P

:)

Dude I just got Rep from 80 which tells me, not just the Planets, but the entire universe has aligned which by default makes you a tremendous loser of this argument :P

:)

I wasn't arguing. But if 80 agrees with you, you lost.

Archived