Kellen Clemens time in St. Louis

Jetsfan80

Agree, but if I'm Idzik that doesn't stop me from dangling him.  For a 6th? I'd probably keep him, seeing as how he showed enough for me to like him as much as any QB we're likely to get in the 6th round to fill a 2nd-3rd QB roster spot.  We have enough picks to bypass a 6th rounder.  There aren't going to be enough roster spots to keep all 12 picks we have as it is.  

If we really needed the extra 6th round pick that badly, then trade down 5 slots in round 3.  

He isn't going to garner a 3rd or 4th.  But I could see a 5th in 2015: because of his famous daddy people around the league have probably taken note of him a little more than most other UDFA 2nd/3rd string QBs.  Daddy Phil may even help spread the word how good he thinks his kid is.  

But why do it? Because Bradford pretty much has shown to have been quite unworthy of that #1 overall pick and the old-CBA contract that came along with the pick.  So the Rams do get something: they get to see someone else for 8 games that might make cutting Bradford a more obvious move, and save the team $27M in salary from 2014-2015.  Also if Simms works out it saves the team from having to use an even higher draft pick to compete with Bradford.

There's plenty of reason for them to do it.  As much as Bradford probably wasn't taking the team anywhere this year, they have to recognize that wild hopes aside, he's not taking them anywhere next year or the year after that either.  There are better uses of his $13-14M/year salary.

All good points.  But the Rams are not smart and will probably pick up Brady Quinn.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All good points.  But the Rams are not smart and will probably pick up Brady Quinn.

Yeah I saw that one also.

Not saying it should be Simms necessarily, but if they can get someone with some upside, they shouldn't piss away the opportunity for an 8-game tryout without causing a week-in/week-out controversy (since Bradford is already injured).

Yeah I saw that one also.

Not saying it should be Simms necessarily, but if they can get someone with some upside, they shouldn't piss away the opportunity for an 8-game tryout without causing a week-in/week-out controversy (since Bradford is already injured).

Maybe they should trade for Josh Freeman.  The Vikings will probably deal him for a pair of socks.

That 2009 QB class was just atrocious.

man...do I pity the Rams fans right about now....

Amen ... and with Kellen under center comes a Schottenheimer engineered season total 500 yards of rushing offense with no TD's.

A redefinition of the word fuk'd 

Why dangle Simms?  I'd dangle Garrard.  He'd be a better get for the Rams and it would bequite a coup to get a pick for him.

Yeah, I'd love it but there is no reason for the Rams to do that one.  The reason to do it for Simms is they get an 8-game tryout with another QB that they couldn't have if Bradford wasn't on IR.  Garrard is a temporary patch in an already-lost season, which does them no good.

They should be looking for a new QB at this point.  Bradford makes way too much for his production.  They get a freebie tryout without creating a divided locker room now, and if Simms loses every game they'll be in a great position to grab one of the top prospects in April. 

But even with that, I doubt Simms would garner more than a 6th at most (maybe conditional to a 5th if he's on the roster for even 1 day from March 1st or 3rd or whatever fully through the end of draft weekend; have to have a better conditional clause than the "on March 3rd" one which is too easy to get around.  Make them have that handshake-only deal with Simms from the stroke of midnight of the 1st day of the new season all the way through the draft).

To finally answer your question, because Simms might have some value for a draft pick and Garrard has none.  The question is would we rather have Simms or a 6th rounder.  Only the team can really answer that.  From what he's shown and from what the team has said about him since the season began, I'd rather have Simms.  We'd have to draft a backup or 3rd stringer anyway so the net gain is zero.  Especially in a year we're already flush with day 3 (?) draft picks.

Yeah, I'd love it but there is no reason for the Rams to do that one.  The reason to do it for Simms is they get an 8-game tryout with another QB that they couldn't have if Bradford wasn't on IR.  Garrard is a temporary patch in an already-lost season, which does them no good.

They should be looking for a new QB at this point.  Bradford makes way too much for his production.  They get a freebie tryout without creating a divided locker room now, and if Simms loses every game they'll be in a great position to grab one of the top prospects in April. 

But even with that, I doubt Simms would garner more than a 6th at most (maybe conditional to a 5th if he's on the roster for even 1 day from March 1st or 3rd or whatever fully through the end of draft weekend; have to have a better conditional clause than the "on March 3rd" one which is too easy to get around.  Make them have that handshake-only deal with Simms from the stroke of midnight of the 1st day of the new season all the way through the draft).

To finally answer your question, because Simms might have some value for a draft pick and Garrard has none.  The question is would we rather have Simms or a 6th rounder.  Only the team can really answer that.  From what he's shown and from what the team has said about him since the season began, I'd rather have Simms.  We'd have to draft a backup or 3rd stringer anyway so the net gain is zero.  Especially in a year we're already flush with day 3 (?) draft picks.

I'd trade them both for a 4th.  Sign McElroy off the Bengals PS and Brady Quinn.  Done and done.  

I see your point, but think the Rams would be more likely to want Garrard than Simms. There is some small chance that the Rams view Simms as a potential starter level player, but I doubt it.  Sure they won't want Gafrard past this emergency, but they have to put a product on the field.  Going with a bunch total stiff is going to anger everybody.  Sure Garrard is a nobody, but it would still be better than what the Vikings are doing.  The season may be lost, but they have appease fans and evaluate other players on the roster.  

I'd trade them both for a 4th.  Sign McElroy off the Bengals PS and Brady Quinn.  Done and done.  

I see your point, but think the Rams would be more likely to want Garrard than Simms. There is some small chance that the Rams view Simms as a potential starter level player, but I doubt it.  Sure they won't want Gafrard past this emergency, but they have to put a product on the field.  Going with a bunch total stiff is going to anger everybody.  Sure Garrard is a nobody, but it would still be better than what the Vikings are doing.  The season may be lost, but they have appease fans and evaluate other players on the roster.

Watching the Rams for the past decade let's just say I disagree that their management feels that they have to put a product on the field.

Besides, they already have Brady Quinn!

If Justin McCareins catches that ball in the endzone from Kellen Clemens on that last drive, and we beat the Ravens,  (this was all several years ago, if anyone remembers), we would have viewed Clemens differently, and he would have been given more of a chance with us.

it bums me out to admit this but there's a super deep dynasty league where my 1-6 squad is going to start Kellen Clemens. (andrew Luck is on bye, Foles is confused, Brock Osweiler etc). It's not even like I can choose between Thad Lewis, Cade McCown, it's Clemens or backups. So lets crank up the huge saw...

it bums me out to admit this but there's a super deep dynasty league where my 1-6 squad is going to start Kellen Clemens. (andrew Luck is on bye, Foles is confused, Brock Osweiler etc). It's not even like I can choose between Thad Lewis, Cade McCown, it's Clemens or backups. So lets crank up the huge saw...

you're toast dude.

If Justin McCareins catches that ball in the endzone from Kellen Clemens on that last drive, and we beat the Ravens,  (this was all several years ago, if anyone remembers), we would have viewed Clemens differently, and he would have been given more of a chance with us.

Holy sh*t why did you have to bring up Justin McCareins?  2nd f*cking rounder.  2nd.

Pick up Austin Davis.  He'll probably start the 2nd half of the season for the Rams when all is said and done.

Am I the only Jets fan that is happy that Clemons is getting another shot at QB?  Good for him, I hope he makes the most of it.

Yep, I wish him well too.

Nine games is a long time.  Since they're not getting much from Bradford, if Kellen puts it together by the end of the year he might work himself into the permanent starter's role for next year as well.

I doubt that.

Maybe Clemens might have done better if he had a different OC than Schottenheimer in the beginning, but Schotty has been his meal ticket for several NFL seasons now.

Unless Clemens emerges during this opportunity, his career lasts as long as Schottenheimer wants him.

Yep, I wish him well too.

Nine games is a long time.  Since they're not getting much from Bradford, if Kellen puts it together by the end of the year he might work himself into the permanent starter's role for next year as well.

I doubt that.

Maybe Clemens might have done better if he had a different OC than Schottenheimer in the beginning, but Schotty has been his meal ticket for several NFL seasons now.

Unless Clemens emerges during this opportunity, his career lasts as long as Schottenheimer wants him.

There's pretty much no reason to believe for a minute that Clemens starts the remainder of the season.  He get's a tough draw against Seattle, and if he doesn't perform reasonably well, they'll probably give Quinn a shot the following week.  I imagine Austin Davis will start the most games of the trio when all is said and done.  Might as well see what the kid can do after he looked decent in preseason.

The Rams expressed interest in Brett Favre:  http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9871023/st-louis-rams-even-called-brett-favre-replace-sam-bradford

This means the Rams were at least rumored to have expressed interest in 3 former Jet QB's:

Tim Tebow

Brett Favre

Brady Quinn (who they signed)

And are starting former Jet Kellen Clemens tonight.

THE BRIAN SCHOTTENHEIMER EFFECT.

• 3 weeks later...

They were looking real good heading into Sunday. Wins over the Niners, Seahawks and Broncos, albeit two of them at home, were impressive. This could have simply been a hiccup for them.

Dont think so imo. Their oline is awful. The Wayne injury has been huge. Richardson being a bust obviously doesnt hwlp matters...Hiltons the only weapon for that offense.

A blip game, I've seen Luck play this year a few times, he's defo the best out of last years draft. Wilson just plugged into an already stacked Sea Hawk team. Indi was a total rebuild. Luck can single handed Win any game on his day.

Look at the Rams TD's it's a run away game like ours against The Titans. Fumble return, punt return, two long TD passes, game got out of hand. Indi is the real deal.

A blip game, I've seen Luck play this year a few times, he's defo the best out of last years draft. Wilson just plugged into an already stacked Sea Hawk team. Indi was a total rebuild. Luck can single handed Win any game on his day.

Look at the Rams TD's it's a run away game like ours against The Titans. Fumble return, punt return, two long TD passes, game got out of hand. Indi is the real deal

The Rams might be the real deal too.  Robert Quinn is quietly making a case for Defensive Player of the Year.  Him and Chris Long are bookend DE's.  With Laurinatis and Janoris Jenkins, they have some quality guys at every level of their D.  Discovering Zac Stacy on offense has been a boost too. 

They're much like us:  The Rams are the only team in the NFL younger than us, yet they're finding ways to compete lately.  All with Kellen Clemens at QB.  They're out of the running this year but the 2014 Rams look very dangerous when Bradford comes back.

Archived