~ ~ TRADE dept. : the trading deadline is next Tuesday...so. to deal or....NOT to DEAL ~ ~

kelly

Green Day: Deal or no deal?
The 4-3 New York Jets are a surprise contender with a couple of glaring holes. The trading deadline is next Tuesday. Should they be buyers  ?

I say it's OK to shop, but be careful. As much as they could use a quality wide receiver, it doesn't make sense to overpay for a quick fix.

The Cleveland Browns' Josh Gordon is the biggest name on the trading block. Three teams have contacted the Browns, two of which have made offers of a high pick and a player, ESPN Insider Adam Schefter reported Monday night. Gordon is gifted, but risky because he already has served a two-game suspension for substance abuse. He's one strike away from a year suspension.

Sure, Gordon's skill set would help the Jets, who have a productive receiver who is hurt (Santonio Holmes) and an unproductive receiver who's healthy (Stephen Hill). They also have a bargaining chip, knowing they will have two third-round picks in the 2014 draft (one from the Darrelle Revis trade). Even though you're not allowed to trade compensatory picks, the Jets know they probably will have a few of those in the bank in '14, which might make it easier to move other picks.

But I wouldn't expect general manager John Idzik to pull the trigger on any significant deals before the deadline. He's on a long-term plan, geared toward 2014, when there will be salary-cap room. He doesn't strike me as the kind of executive who will alter his plan on a whim.

What do you think  ? Should the Jets try to bolster their current roster with a significant move  ?

ICYMI: Day 1 of the PushGate fallout: Bill Belichick said he was wrong and Rex Ryan was mum, but the Jets did tip off officials during the game that the New England Patriots liked to use an illegal pushing technique, according to a source. ... Ryan is only 18-21 over the last two-plus seasons, but he said the Jets "fear nobody." ... Rookie quarterback Geno Smith usually is more than willing to dissect his mistakes, but there's one criticism of his game that he doesn't agree with.

Josh Gordon has been hearing Browns trade rumors

0ap2000000266543.jpg

Have the rampant trade rumors affected Gordon's play?

Upon being held to 21 yards on two catches, the second-year wide receiver was accused of seeming "disengaged" in Sunday's 31-13 loss to the Green Bay Packers.

After checking Game Rewind, we confidently can assert that Gordon's disappointing output stemmed from a perfect storm of Brandon Weeden's errant passes, sticky coverage from Sam Shields and Davon House, a slippery playing surface and the wide receiver's failure to high-point a 50/50 jump ball in traffic.

Gordon insists the trade speculation has not carried over to the field on game days.

"It's been weeks now I've been hearing about it," Gordon said, via The Plain Dealer. "If it's going to happen, it's going to happen. That's just how I'm looking at it."

0ap1000000237506.jpg

ESPN's Adam Schefter reported Monday that at least three teams have contacted the Browns about a Gordon trade. Two of those teams have standing offers of a high draft pick and a player.

Despite reports to the contrary, coach Rob Chudzinski and CEO Joe Banner have maintained that they are not shopping Gordon and have no plans to trade him.

It doesn't hurt to listen, though. If the ante is raised to a first-round pick, Gordon's suspension risk and character concerns might trump his undeniable natural athletic ability in the Browns' eyes

> http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000267935/article/josh-gordon-has-been-hearing-browns-trade-rumors

Draft picks aren't always sure things that improve your team sometimes the right guys become available and if it works you deal for them. Idzik wants to win like everyone else. Im gonna sit tight and see what he does by the trade deadline even if he does nothing ok by me.

Draft picks aren't always sure things that improve your team sometimes the right guys become available and if it works you deal for them. Idzik wants to win like everyone else. Im gonna sit tight and see what he does by the trade deadline even if he does nothing ok by me.

Thanks for joining up Mike T!  Welcome to JetNation!

I say we trade for both Gordon AND Peterson. That would be awesome to me.   Let go of both 3's the 2, Santonio Holmes, Ellis, and a future pick.  Any way that could happen I would do it ( for that mix)  If there is a 1 involved for either I say no. 

i say two 3s one this year one next year for gordon thats it, lets build this team right! draft quality players and good depth the key to build a SB team

if they would take one 3rd rounder...cool :character0181:

Josh Gordon a fit, but Jets aren’t win now team

The NFL trade deadline arrives next Tuesday and the Jets may have a decision to make.

The worst they can come out of this weekend is .500. Do they think they’re a player away from contending for a playoff spot?

The name that has been thrown around the most as being rumored to be on the block is Browns wide receiver Josh Gordon. He would fit a huge need for the Jets, so you have to think they are somewhat interested. The 22-year-old has two years left on his contract at a low price and he has 27 catches for 450 yards and two touchdowns this season.

But general manager John Idzik should stay away from trades. This Jets team is not a “win now” team. Despite its surprising 4-3 record, no one is thinking of this team as a Super Bowl contender. The cost for Gordon would be at least a high pick in next year’s draft and probably more. Idzik needs to hold onto all of his draft picks to fill several needs next year, not one right now.

Gordon is also one strike away from a season-long suspension if he violates the NFL’s substance-abuse policy again.

The Jets are going to have a ton of cap space and a bunch of draft picks (they have the Buccaneers’ third-rounder and should get a few compensatory picks) to play with next year. Idzik and the Jets should ride this year out with what they have and not give up any of those 2014 chips.

> http://nypost.com/2013/10/23/josh-gordon-a-fit-but-jets-arent-win-now-team/

My sources tell me the Jets have a deal on the table for Calvin Johnson and Jordy Nelson: both deals in place involve high picks and a player. 

My sources tell me that the Jets are very close to trading for Johnson and Nelson. 

My sources tell me that while that while the trade didn't go through, a deal was certainly in place.  Also, you can't prove me wrong. #twitterscoutextraordinaire 

Idzik will stay the course- not panic and make a deal and keep his draft choices

I agree.  I would absolutely stunned if Idzik gave up a high draft pick, let alone a high draft pick and a player or multiple draft picks for anyone.  While they may be a playoff contender, they don't have the horses to go all the way, so going all in would be foolish imo.

While I think Geno will develop into a very good starting QB if not a franchise-type QB, it's still early.  Idzik needs to hedge his bets in case Geno stumbles badly down the stretch or gets injured (God forbid).  Having extra picks isn't just a luxury.  It's a great plus when rebuilding a young team, and he'd very likely be shooting himself in the foot giving away some of those higher picks for a player who could get suspended for a year.  Having 10-12 draft picks will give him a lot of flexibility in the draft and in FA.  He won't feel pressured to "have" to sign a particular player or position in FA.

That NYPost article is predictably stupid.  They argue the Jets shouldn't trade for Gordon because  they aren't a win-now team.  Yet they also mention he has two more cheap years on his contract.  So are they saying the Jets aren't a win in the next 3 years team or (and I suspect this is the case) is the writer just an idiot?

FWIW I think it the Jets can get a little more going on offense, they could be a playoff team this year with a puncher's chance at any given game and that would be worth a small investment.

That NYPost article is predictably stupid.  They argue the Jets shouldn't trade for Gordon because  they aren't a win-now team.  Yet they also mention he has two more cheap years on his contract.  So are they saying the Jets aren't a win in the next 3 years team or (and I suspect this is the case) is the writer just an idiot?

FWIW I think it the Jets can get a little more going on offense, they could be a playoff team this year with a puncher's chance at any given game and that would be worth a small investment.

I actually agree with this and liken the Jets of this year to the Giants that beat the Pats in the Bowl the first time a few years ago. What were they 9-7? 8-8?  Then they just got hot at the right time ( I think it began with beating the Jets actually) and rode that wave to the Super bowl. Coughlin was about to get fired that season and then he won the friggin superbowl basically on the back of his D line.

If we can keep this up and string a few Wins together, we may just have a shot at a Rocky Balboaesque run here.  Adding some firepower on O could be just what we need to get over the hump.

I actually agree with this and liken the Jets of this year to the Giants that beat the Pats in the Bowl the first time a few years ago. What were they 9-7? 8-8?  Then they just got hot at the right time ( I think it began with beating the Jets actually) and rode that wave to the Super bowl. Coughlin was about to get fired that season and then he won the friggin superbowl basically on the back of his D line.

If we can keep this up and string a few Wins together, we may just have a shot at a Rocky Balboaesque run here.  Adding some firepower on O could be just what we need to get over the hump.

" ...liken the Jets of this year to the Giants that beat the Pats in the Bowl the first time a few years ago... "

...cool ~ ~

:headbang:

NFL trade deadline: Ingram, MJD, Leshoure, McFadden could move

By Jason La Canfora | CBS Sports NFL Insider

October 27, 2013 09:40 AM ET

Detroit has been calling around the league ascertaining what value back-up Mikel Leshoure, a former second-round pick, could bring, while former first-round pick Mark Ingram, injured most of this season, would welcome a trade, according to league sources, but the market for them is limited. In this era of pass-happy football, few teams feel the want or need to trade for a running back, though injuries this weekend, ahead of the deadline, could change that.

The Cowboys are one playoff contender that could use help there, but their cap situation severely limits them.

It’s widely knows the Jaguars are very open to moving Maurice Jones-Drew, according to league sources, but his high salary and paltry production has resulted in scant interest for an aging back, even one with his pedigree.

The Cardinals shopped running back Ryan Williams, who has battled injuries, earlier this season and he could be had as well, sources said, while the Raiders might part with Darren McFadden, a former first-round pick in the final year of his deal as well, sources said. But, again, there has not been much of a market for running backs to this point.

LaCanfora reporting that the Browns have put Jordan Cameron on the block, but are holding out for a ransom. A lot of TEs in the draft next year. I wouldn't pay a whole lot for one considering the pretty high success rate for drafting TEs. A WR, I'd pay for. You just don't know how those guys will translate.

The Jets will not be making any moves-it's not their new style

I'm not expecting any moves, but I wouldn't be shocked, either. I think it's way too early to tell what exactly Idzik's style is at this point.

Archived