Bullish on Jets QB situation.

Kleckineau

we could say the same about geno. He's had 1 very good game. He's had 1 game with only 1 turnover (a pick 6). He's had 5 multiple turnover games. these are the facts. People are bullish on Geno cause they want to be bullish. It's not based on results. 

You said everyone was bullish about Sanchez in 2009.  This is a lie.  Of course you had a high grade on him on DraftDoody, so there's that.

People are bullish on him because he's showing some good things in between obvious rookie mistakes. Sanchez was garbage in between his mistakes.  Super lucky to be on a top team with the best OL on the planet, best ground game, and best defense keeping him out of must-pass situations.  Oh yeah, and the best special teams units keeping his starting field position nice and comfy.  Not to mention his super luck of other teams just dropping interceptions that they're not dropping with Geno.  A pick that's caught isn't thrown worse than one that's dropped.  But one counts as failure and the other counts the same as a strike that was dropped (or a ball intentionally thrown away out of bounds).

I don't know what his career is going to be.  What I think he has going for him is that you think he stinks and has low talent because of something so absurd as a draft position.  Since you think he sucks, and you're pretty much always wrong, that alone gives Geno a very good shot of being at least a solid starter for years.  So you've given me and some other Jets fans real hope.  And for this I am grateful.

And his "one very good game" was a great game, not a very good game.

Matt Simms has 0% bearing on my feelings regarding our QB situation.

Completely agree. I think the Jets will need at least one, and maybe two new QBs next year. I'd feel better with a veteran backup (who's played in the relatively recent past), and/or a mid-round draft pick.

My biggest concern with Geno was how he'd react to adversity. So far so good in that department. Bullish is probably the right word with him. I'm not completely sold yet, but he certainly has promise. He's a better runner than I expected, and his decisions are getting better with experience. It's impressive how well he's doing considering the talent level around him, which really could use an upgrade at virtually every position.

You said everyone was bullish about Sanchez in 2009.  This is a lie.  Of course you had a high grade on him on DraftDoody, so there's that.

People are bullish on him because he's showing some good things in between obvious rookie mistakes. Sanchez was garbage in between his mistakes.  Super lucky to be on a top team with the best OL on the planet, best ground game, and best defense keeping him out of must-pass situations.  Oh yeah, and the best special teams units keeping his starting field position nice and comfy.  Not to mention his super luck of other teams just dropping interceptions that they're not dropping with Geno.  A pick that's caught isn't thrown worse than one that's dropped.  But one counts as failure and the other counts the same as a strike that was dropped (or a ball intentionally thrown away out of bounds).

The bold is 100% dead on. That is the reason you feel better about Geno than you did about Sanchez. Sanchez carried every mistake around with him the rest of the game. He would spiral into a complete disaster...and that was in his 4th year. That nightmare Cardinals game last year is a perfect example.

Geno does not do this. A mistake doesn't phase him. In fact, even a good plays don't really phase him haha This is the kind of personality and attitude you need to be successful in NY.

This combined with a great arm and work ethic plus an ability to run makes me feel really good about this kid.

Vinny T played in 6 games his rookie year, 5 TD, 6 INT, 60% comp rate. So i guess the 7 games one. Geno is currently at 8/11 58%.

remember there was a year 1998 when Vinny threw 29 TD and 7 INT but for his career he's 275/267 about 50/50 ratio.

I don't think Vinny was a bust or even a bad player. He's just not super elite.  I don't see how the Jets can feel super good about Geno Smith right now. He's only played 1 clean game out of 7. too many turnovers.

Payton Manning's rookie year thru 7 games, 9 TD 14 INT, 54% comp rate.  So if we go by your logic, Geno will be a star.

START MATT SIMMS

We were told the QB pool this year was so deep but there are problems everywhere, including some teams that have entrenched starters. Guys like RG3, Kaepernick, Newton, Flacco, Brady, Palmer, and of course Schaub and Eli Manning have had varying degrees of struggles. I'd say these are the only teams in the league who can feel fully confident about their QB situations right now:

Broncos (though Peyton is 37 and his throws are getting more wobbly every day)

Saints

Packers

Colts

Falcons

Chargers

Lions (though Stafford looked absolutely pathetic without Megatron)

Seahawks

49ers (Kaepernick will improve)

The other 23 teams have significant question marks. We're one of them, but I like Geno better than at least 12-15 other starting QB's around the league. I'd rather have him than Dalton, Cutler, Vick/Foles, Alex Smith, EJ Manuel/Thad Lewis, Pryor, Glennon, Schaub, Palmer, or the Vikings/Jaguars/Cleveland's trash for sure.

For as good as geno has been he is still mskeing the same mistakes and if the 2 penalty s aren't called we are 2-5 would u still feel good probably not ! Lets wait and see his qb rating isn't to good so before we say we are set lets let the yr play out!!

I don't know what his career is going to be.  What I think he has going for him is that you think he stinks and has low talent because of something so absurd as a draft position.  Since you think he sucks, and you're pretty much always wrong, that alone gives Geno a very good shot of being at least a solid starter for years.  So you've given me and some other Jets fans real hope.  And for this I am grateful.

And his "one very good game" was a great game, not a very good game.

the game against ATL, they were starting absolute no bodies at LB (seriously look up the LB starters for that game it was a joke)

and several DB spots. Geno has beaten bad defenses he hasn't beaten a good defense all year. 

if all it takes for the Jets to win a SB is for me to bash the QB every day, i'd have done this years ago. 

the game against ATL, they were starting absolute no bodies at LB (seriously look up the LB starters for that game it was a joke)

and several DB spots. Geno has beaten bad defenses he hasn't beaten a good defense all year.

if all it takes for the Jets to win a SB is for me to bash the QB every day, i'd have done this years ago.

Where the hell did those goalposts go?

Meow, m'meow-meow, meow-meow-meow.

NE has like a top 5 defense this year, genius.  

I'll take "Sports Bitonti is Always Wrong About" for $400, Alex!

i have a feeling everyone's gonna end up in Mark Sanchez territory on Geno.  we were all bullish on the QB position in 2009 (despite every other poster claiming they weren't Mark Sanchez believers)  

i have a feeling everyone's gonna end up in Mark Sanchez territory on Geno.  we were all bullish on the QB position in 2009 (despite every other poster claiming they weren't Mark Sanchez believers)  

...  we were all bullish on the QB position in 2009 (despite every other poster claiming they weren't Mark Sanchez believers)  

No, we all weren't.

For as good as geno has been he is still mskeing the same mistakes and if the 2 penalty s aren't called we are 2-5 would u still feel good probably not ! Lets wait and see his qb rating isn't to good so before we say we are set lets let the yr play out!!

I did not realize that the penalty against NE robbed them of certain victory.  Thanks for clearing that up.

He's been in the league 7 games.  He was advertised as being raw.  Of course he's going to make mistakes.  But the fact is, we're not 2-5, we're 4-3, and he's a huge reason why.  He's had late game-winning drives in each of our wins.  He's won an Offensive Player of the Week award.  He's looked poised, shown the ability to bounce back from his mistakes without moping on the sidelines, and is improving. 

Meow, m'meow-meow, meow-meow-meow.

NE has like a top 5 defense this year, genius.  

I'll take "Sports Bitonti is Always Wrong About" for $400, Alex!

only in the points against stat. The pats are 5th in points against. the Jets are 18th in points against.  does anyone believe the Pats have a better D than the Jets?

if you look at yards per game, they swap places, the Jets are like 4th. Whatever the Pats were ranked, by the time they got to the 2nd Jets game they lost Wilfork, Mayo and Talib it's not even an above average D at this point. 

He's been in the league 7 games.  He was advertised as being raw.  Of course he's going to make mistakes.  But the fact is, we're not 2-5, we're 4-3, and he's a huge reason why.  He's had late game-winning drives in each of our wins.  He's won an Offensive Player of the Week award.  He's looked poised, shown the ability to bounce back from his mistakes without moping on the sidelines, and is improving. 

except for the poised part this is basically what Mark did in 2009/2010. 

only in the points against stat. The pats are 5th in points against. the Jets are 18th in points against.  does anyone believe the Pats have a better D than the Jets?

if you look at yards per game, they swap places, the Jets are like 4th. Whatever the Pats were ranked, by the time they got to the 2nd Jets game they lost Wilfork, Mayo and Talib it's not even an above average D at this point. 

Wrong.

NE has one of the top pass defenses in the league, both in yards and yards per attempt.  It's their rush defense that's ranked 31st.

Parts of their defense are better than ours, parts are worse.  A lot of our defensive ranking is from weak offenses like Tampa, plus playing one game in crappy, low-scoring type weather vs NE (who also had no receivers).

Why don't you get back to bragging how right you were about Vladimir Ducasse?

Wrong.

NE has one of the top pass defenses in the league, both in yards and yards per attempt.  It's their rush defense that's ranked 31st.

Parts of their defense are better than ours, parts are worse.  A lot of our defensive ranking is from weak offenses like Tampa, plus playing one game in crappy, low-scoring type weather vs NE (who also had no receivers).

Why don't you get back to bragging how right you were about Vladimir Ducasse?

funny thing about points against stats, if the QB throws a pick 6, it goes against the defense's points against. If the QB fumbles on his own 5 yard line and the other team gets points it also goes in the points against stat. 

let's see what happens this weekend, so far Geno has been 1 step forward 1 step back, he's scheduled to go back this weekend. And all the threads will be about how the defense isn't good or they aren't running enough. 

if you really support geno you'd put money where your mouth is and buy his jersey. It's a wonder why legions of Jets fans aren't doing that yet... they must all be jerks. 

if you really support geno you'd put money where your mouth is and buy his jersey. It's a wonder why legions of Jets fans aren't doing that yet... they must all be jerks.

I hear Football Outsiders is replacing DVOA with NFWPJ (Number of Fans Wearing Player's Jersey) next season.

funny thing about points against stats, if the QB throws a pick 6, it goes against the defense's points against. If the QB fumbles on his own 5 yard line and the other team gets points it also goes in the points against stat. 

let's see what happens this weekend, so far Geno has been 1 step forward 1 step back, he's scheduled to go back this weekend. And all the threads will be about how the defense isn't good or they aren't running enough. 

lol

He's been in the league 7 games. He was advertised as being raw. Of course he's going to make mistakes. But the fact is, we're not 2-5, we're 4-3, and he's a huge reason why. He's had late game-winning drives in each of our wins. He's won an Offensive Player of the Week award. He's looked poised, shown the ability to bounce back from his mistakes without moping on the sidelines, and is improving.

I can't stand the GW drive stat I have 1 which is against the falcons . Offensive player of week means nothing when they were tired of giving it to Peyton come on guys . He's good lets not put him in the HOF yet

I can't stand the GW drive stat I have 1 which is against the falcons . Offensive player of week means nothing when they were tired of giving it to Peyton come on guys . He's good lets not put him in the HOF yet

Do you not like the game-winning drive stat because it reflects positively on Geno or just the inherent nature of the state itself?

So giving the pats the ball at our 45 is ok with u I guess

So giving the pats the ball at our 45 is ok with u I guess

Who said that?  I said it did not guarantee a NE victory.  And it didn't.  Try reading what is in front of you instead of trying to put your own spin on it.

Archived