I like Geno

DRJETS

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The thing I like about Geno is that starting off, he already has two things that don't usually go together:  Great mobility and ability to throw long accurately.  Coming into the game the defense has these two things to worry about.

Being able to make plays with his legs and also being able to kill you downfield puts big pressure on the defense.  He obviously has weaknesses with reading defenses and blitzes, etc, but that usually comes with time.  Being able to hurt you two ways is a great foundation to build upon.

How was Sanchez's supporting cast his first 3 years?  Was Geno blessed with the # 1 running game and # 1 defense in the NFL?  You absolutely CAN grade players while ignoring their supporting cast.  Sanchez never passed the eye test and rarely performed well regardless of the talent around him.  He was dragged to those 2 AFC Title games, and was one of the bottom 5 players on the team....and bottom 5 QB's in the league, both years.

Geno does much better with the eye test.  He's big, he can use his feet, he has poise, he doesn't let mistakes get to him, he can throw downfield, and pretty much all of his flaws are correctable.  He's not making poor reads, he's making some poor throws.  But he also has made some really good throws too.  The game doesn't seem to move too quickly for him like it did for Sanchez.  In at least 3 of our 4 victories, he was one of the top players on the field.  You could never really say that about Sanchez.  Geno's numbers aren't pretty but if you're going to say Sanchez gets a pass because of his supporting cast, you should be able to give Geno a bit of a pass through the first 8 games of his career without simply throwing up your hands and say "well, there we go, he sucks too".  This seems like a guy we can build around.  Though I would fully support drafting a QB at some point in the 2014 draft just in case he's not.

Geno doesn't suck currently and could be good.  Sanchez sucked and will never be good.  That's the difference.

Another stats that you overlooked.  How many times Sanchez's throws were battled down by a DL? A lot.  Geno, on the other hand; you can hardly see a pass being battled down at the line of scrimmage.  The only thing Geno needs to fix is the INT.  Other than that he is doing fine.  His pass completion is way ahead of most of the elite QB in the league, when they were rookies. 

Another stats that you overlooked.  How many times Sanchez's throws were battled down by a DL? A lot.  Geno, on the other hand; you can hardly see a pass being battled down at the line of scrimmage.  The only thing Geno needs to fix is the INT.  Other than that he is doing fine.  His pass completion is way ahead of most of the elite QB in the league, when they were rookies. 

Well... before you get too excited about his completion percentage, Mornhinweg is his coach and has gotten a bunch of guys career high completion percentages.  What he'd be doing with somebody else is a matter for conjecture. 

Well... before you get too excited about his completion percentage, Mornhinweg is his coach and has gotten a bunch of guys career high completion percentages.  What he'd be doing with somebody else is a matter for conjecture. 

Well for years people complained about how our OC couldn't get the most out of his QB.  Are we really gonna complain that we have an OC that is getting our young QB inflated completion percentages?

He still has to make the throws out there, and for a young QB, his YPA and completion % are impressive, even if the rest of his numbers are not.  He's a downfield thrower, something we've looked for for a long time.  Turnovers are going to be a by-product during his development.  But unlike Sanchez, he doesn't combine turnovers with lot's of 3 and outs.  If you're going to be turnover prone you need to have the Favre-esque capability of putting up points too.  He'll move the ball down the field and either get us points OR get picked.  In time, the number of picks should drop.

unlike Sanchez, he doesn't combine turnovers with lot's of 3 and outs.  

the Jets are currently 12th in the league in 3 and outs. they were 10th in Sanchez rookie year. SO... about the same actually. 

http://www.sportingcharts.com/nfl/stats/three-and-out-percentage/2013/

also you say he's big, Geno is 6'3", mark is 6'2" neither guy is Flacco 

From what I seen so far, Geno is better known as a down field QB than a dink and dunk where the high % completion really comes from.  Michael Vicks in 5 season reached the 60 % mark only once. 

Well for years people complained about how our OC couldn't get the most out of his QB.  Are we really gonna complain that we have an OC that is getting our young QB inflated completion percentages?

He still has to make the throws out there, and for a young QB, his YPA and completion % are impressive, even if the rest of his numbers are not.  He's a downfield thrower, something we've looked for for a long time.  Turnovers are going to be a by-product during his development.  But unlike Sanchez, he doesn't combine turnovers with lot's of 3 and outs.  If you're going to be turnover prone you need to have the Favre-esque capability of putting up points too.  He'll move the ball down the field and either get us points OR get picked.  In time, the number of picks should drop.

I'm not complaining, I am just saying that we should consider the offense he is running before basing our opinions on stats.  Plenty of guys are cutting him slack because of our (lack of) WRs, why not consider the OC in the equation?

The key for Geno will be can he progress and learn to read coverages and and get better in the pocket with time management-the jury is out

Also, we need to get him real receivers that can helps him, when he is getting blitzes.  How many times do we have to see our QB; whether it was Geno or Sanchez, getting blitz and the hot receiver kept running the original routes?  Then, when all the receivers finish their routes and turn to looks at the QB on the ground, with their face saying, what happened? Idiot.

There's a chance that Geno never ends up any better than Sanchez. But from the eye test alone, you have to like two things: Geno is a better runner than Sanchez ever was, and he's got a stronger arm for sure. Those 2 things alone should make him a better QB over the long haul. How much better? We'll find out.

the Jets are currently 12th in the league in 3 and outs. they were 10th in Sanchez rookie year. SO... about the same actually. 

http://www.sportingcharts.com/nfl/stats/three-and-out-percentage/2013/

also you say he's big, Geno is 6'3", mark is 6'2" neither guy is Flacco 

Sanchez managed to be 10th in the league in 3 and outs with the # 1 running game.  Wow.  He was even worse than I thought.

Hate to say this, but there's a saying:  Get two good young QBs at the same time and they'll destroy each other.

I remember the Cowboys took Troy Aikman with one first round pick and Jimmy Johnson's own Steve Walsh with a later supplemental first round pick.  Walsh hung around about a year or so but after it was clear Aikman won the competition, Walsh was shipped out.

From what I see I wouldn't mind seeing the Jets commit to Geno.

Hate to say this, but there's a saying:  Get two good young QBs at the same time and they'll destroy each other.

I remember the Cowboys took Troy Aikman with one first round pick and Jimmy Johnson's own Steve Walsh with a later supplemental first round pick.  Walsh hung around about a year or so but after it was clear Aikman won the competition, Walsh was shipped out.

From what I see I wouldn't mind seeing the Jets commit to Geno.

so you like all the genovers

There's a chance that Geno never ends up any better than Sanchez. But from the eye test alone, you have to like two things: Geno is a better runner than Sanchez ever was, and he's got a stronger arm for sure. Those 2 things alone should make him a better QB over the long haul. How much better? We'll find out.

Actually the thing I like best about Geno so far is how he carries himself off the field. Post/pre game with the media etc. Some of what I've read about his work ethic. He seems like a bright, articulate leader whereas Sanchez use to make me cringe. Overall attitude, Body language etc.

Actually the thing I like best about Geno so far is how he carries himself off the field. Post/pre game with the media etc. Some of what I've read about his work ethic. He seems like a bright, articulate leader whereas Sanchez use to make me cringe. Overall attitude, Body language etc.

Definitely. Most of these guys coming into the NFL nowadays are extremely talented, the thing that really separates those who do well from those who don't is what they've got between the ears. Not saying they have to be mensa, but if you can't learn from your mistakes, break down film and be coached, then all the ability in the world isn't gonna help you from stagnating. Mark had some talent, but he always struck me as just too dense to figure things out. 

PS:  Troy Aikman had 9 TD and 18 INT his first year.

11 TD and 18 INT his second.

Takes time.

ryan leaf - 2 td, 15 int

cade mcnown - 8 td, 10 int

akili smith - 2 td, 6 int

tim couch - 15 td, 13 int

david carr - 9 td, 15 int

charlie frye - 10 td, 17 int

kyle boller - 7 td, 9 int

vince young - 12 td, 13 int

browning nagle - 7 td, 17 int

matt leinart - 11 td, 12 int

richard todd - 3 td, 12 int

geno smith is on pace for 16 td, 26 int

ryan leaf - 2 td, 15 int

cade mcnown - 8 td, 10 int

akili smith - 2 td, 6 int

tim couch - 15 td, 13 int

david carr - 9 td, 15 int

charlie frye - 10 td, 17 int

kyle boller - 7 td, 9 int

vince young - 12 td, 13 int

browning nagle - 7 td, 17 int

matt leinart - 11 td, 12 int

richard todd - 3 td, 12 int

geno smith is on pace for 16 td, 26 int

Early year records of the following QBs who won two Super Bowls:

Eli Manning

6 TD  9 INT

John Elway

7 TD  14 INT

Jim Plunkett

19 TD 16 INT  1st year

8 TD  25 INT  2nd year

And Troy Aikman won three Super Bowls

9 TD  18 INT   1st year

11 TD  18 INT  2nd year

How bad does Geno's 1st year record look now?

It's gonna come down to the Jets offseason decision and how Geno finishes the year but I'm ok either way, if

A) Geno is their guy and they give him another year to prove himself or

B.) they're in position to draft Bridgewater or Mariota and pick one. Although I would agree keeping Geno on the team might be a mistake.

...so that's a huge conundrum and when thought through it really makes it seem extremely unlikely that the Jets are taking a QB next yr.

Geno's the guy for the next 3 years minimum. Get use to it if you don't like it.

The jets need to look at the draft this year and get a REAL QB.......I don't think geno will pass the audition after the season. Sanchez, Geno gone.

Michael Vick anyone?...

Are you serious?  Michael Vick is broken down and nowhere near as good as he once was, and he was never that good a QB to begin with.  He was a very good, if not great RB from the QB position, but in terms of leadership, passing first and foremost, no.

I also couldn't disagree with you more regarding Geno.

Early year records of the following QBs who won two Super Bowls:

Eli Manning

6 TD  9 INT

John Elway

7 TD  14 INT

Jim Plunkett

19 TD 16 INT  1st year

8 TD  25 INT  2nd year

And Troy Aikman won three Super Bowls

9 TD  18 INT   1st year

11 TD  18 INT  2nd year

How bad does Geno's 1st year record look now?

Peyton Manning's rookie season -  26 TDs, 28 Interceptions, completion percentage 56.7%, QB Rating 71.2

Brett Favre's SECOND FULL SEASON (he played 2 games in '91, 15 in '92 and 16 in '93 - 19 TDs, 24 Interceptions, completion percentage 60.9%, QB rating 72.2

Drew Brees' first full season - 17 TDs, 16 interceptions, completion percentage 60.8, QB rating 76.9

Tom Brady's first full season - 18 TDs, 12 interceptions, completion percentage 63.9%, QB rating 86.5 (double digit interceptions his first 6 seasons & 8 out of 13 seasons)

Matt Ryan's rookie season - 16 TDs, 11 interceptions, completion percentage 61.1%, QB Rating 87.7

Matt Stafford's rookie season (13 games) - 13 TDs. 20 interceptions, completion percentage 53.3%, QB rating 61.0

In spite of having a lot fewer (and worse) offensive playmakers around him, Geno's stats aren't that out of line with other QBs.  I looked up a lot of QBs.  Many had the benefit of sitting on the bench for 2 or more seasons, and playing only a few games each season before they became starters, and again they had better receivers and RBs to work with.  Thus, you guys that are so down on Geno need to take a step back, take a deep breath, and chillax.

The key for Geno will be can he progress and learn to read coverages and and get better in the pocket with time management-the jury is out

+1. I think he's already shown some improvement in this, but we definitely need to see more.

Archived