Salas, Nelson make Hill look bad

MexiRoll6

Both of these guys, in their short time with the team have made many more plays than Hill, a second round mistake by Tannenbum. Hill was invisible against the Saints, and hasn't shown any concept of getting open. There will be a lot of turnover on the Jets offense next year, particularly in the WR corps where Holmes and Hill should BOTH be elsewhere next season.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

stephen Hill was on pace for a 1000 yard season through three games. in game 4 (TEN) he took a hospital pass from Geno and was violently concussed. Now he's healthy and the only Jets WR worth a damn and is actually getting double covered on key downs.  the reason why guys like salas and nelson are producing is in part because the defenses are focused on Hill. 

by the way the QB was 8-19 last week so it's not like anyone in the passing game is all that productive. 

stephen Hill was on pace for a 1000 yard season through three games. in game 4 (TEN) he took a hospital pass from Geno and was violently concussed. Now he's healthy and the only Jets WR worth a damn and is actually getting double covered on key downs.  the reason why guys like salas and nelson are producing is in part because the defenses are focused on Hill. 

by the way the QB was 8-19 last week so it's not like anyone in the passing game is all that productive. 

^^All of that

Having a safety take a step backwards on the snap is not the same as being "double covered."

Making a safety take a step backwards is more than any of the guys the OP mentioned has done.  

FWIW, Nelson has settled back as guys ran in front of him for pick 6's at least twice in three weeks. Salas has 2 catches.  Whoopty Damn Doo. I like Salas and Nelson, but Hill has played better.  They are all cheap and they should all be here competing for jobs next year. 

Hill is a bust he runs terrible routes and cant take a hit he catches the ball with his body not his hands.  Time to cut ties with him I wanted this kid to be a star here as much as anyone else but defending him based on the way hes played NO WAY IN HELL.

Agreed.  A perfect time to cut ties with a young WR who you drafted in the 2nd round last year because of his tremendous skill set and is currently your 2nd leading receiver is midseason when the other half of your receiver core is injured.

Agreed.  A perfect time to cut ties with a young WR who you drafted in the 2nd round last year because of his tremendous skill set and is currently your 2nd leading receiver is midseason when the other half of your receiver core is injured.

We  took Vernon Gholston in the 1st round how did that work out for us it doesn't matter where we picked him  our scouts failed us miserably again.

We  took Vernon Gholston in the 1st round how did that work out for us it doesn't matter where we picked him  our scouts failed us miserably again.

Agreed.  It shouldnt matter that Hill has the 2nd most receptions and yards on the team because of where he was selected.  Nor should it matter the Jets are signing street FA's to play WR because of injuries.  Cut Hill anyway.  He's 22 and raw, he'll never improve.

Why would you get rid of a second round pick in his rookie contract who was known to be extremely raw when drafted and has shown potential along with expected shortcomings on a team hardly loaded with WR talent???

The Jets are so weak and injured at WR, he is starting. If they acquire other talent in the off season and Hill does not improve, then this becomes a decision next year. In the meantime, we should hope he improves instead of being giddy at the prospect of predicting his failure being proven right.

Raw isn't the word have you seen this kid play in person hes clueless he runs terrible routes he doesn't come back to the ball when the QB is in trouble he catches with his body not his hands.

He leads a bunch of nobodys who are far surpassing him on this team and contributing to our offense.

Jeffrey is 10x better drafted after Hill.

My balls are raw too I use Cruex jock itch eventually the rawness will go away.

Hill is a bust he runs terrible routes and cant take a hit he catches the ball with his body not his hands.  Time to cut ties with him I wanted this kid to be a star here as much as anyone else but defending him based on the way hes played NO WAY IN HELL.

Can't take a hit? Pretty sure this was a crucial third down conversion as well.

Steelers-Troy-Polamalu-Lights-Up-Jets-St

Steelers-Troy-Polamalu-Lights-Up-Jets-St

And he can catch with his hands, dude lit up the gauntlet drill at the combine and has some pretty amazing acrobatic catches in college. He just needs further development, ya know, like more than 1.5 seasons. 

Your face is a bust. 

Agreed.  It shouldnt matter that Hill has the 2nd most receptions and yards on the team because of where he was selected.  Nor should it matter the Jets are signing street FA's to play WR because of injuries.  Cut Hill anyway.  He's 22 and raw, he'll never improve.

The fact you have not been signed yet is disgusting. You were a TD machine in high school.

Raw isn't the word have you seen this kid play in person hes clueless he runs terrible routes he doesn't come back to the ball when the QB is in trouble he catches with his body not his hands.

He leads a bunch of nobodys who are far surpassing him on this team and contributing to our offense.

Hill doesn't come back to the ball?  Nelson sat on his heels twice as DBs ran into the endzone with passes targeted for him. 

Nobody here believes you have balls missy. 

Georgia Tech threw about 5 or 10 passes a game-we knew he was a guy that would take time to develop

WRs dont develop here this is the NFL they excel here some make it some don't. Highlight videos of catches and hits far and few between lets see the videos from when he took hits and went off injured for weeks months at a time,during camp and pre-season he put the most miles on the exercise bikes from not getting hit at all.  Like I said I want this kid to be good but it isn't looking good at this point. We need WRs to help Geno develop into that franchise QB WE ALL WANT here. 

WRs dont develop here this is the NFL they excel here some make it some don't. Highlight videos of catches and hits far and few between lets see the videos from when he took hits and went off injured for weeks months at a time,during camp and pre-season he put the most miles on the exercise bikes from not getting hit at all.  Like I said I want this kid to be good but it isn't looking good at this point. We need WRs to help Geno develop into that franchise QB WE ALL WANT here. 

I hope you are pulling a Coples/Millner here and Hill just destroys Buff next week.

Seriously?  They why do they have position coaches?  Why are HCs always talking about fundamentals?  You remind me of a late poster from another Jets board where I posted years ago who always claimed that players learn all the technique and fundamentals they ever need in high school and college, and they don't work on or learn any of that in the NFL.  Your comment is as nonsensical as all of his were on this subject.

Seriously?  They why do they have position coaches?  Why are HCs always talking about fundamentals?  You remind me of a late poster from another Jets board where I posted years ago who always claimed that players learn all the technique and fundamentals they ever need in high school and college, and they don't work on or learn any of that in the NFL.  Your comment is as nonsensical as all of his were on this subject.

I disagree with that the NFL isn't high school or college the level of play far exceeds the level of play there but the player has to have the tools to be successful here. Im no expert or do I claim to be maybe I expect way too much from players thinking just because they are in the NFL they should all be Hall of Famers immediately. Stephen Hill isn't and wasn't worth a 2nd round pick so far he hasn't shown us a damn thing except in 1 game.  This isn't his first year and these aren't rookie mistakes maybe he just doesn't get it.

I disagree with that the NFL isn't high school or college the level of play far exceeds the level of play there but the player has to have the tools to be successful here. Im no expert or do I claim to be maybe I expect way too much from players thinking just because they are in the NFL they should all be Hall of Famers immediately. Stephen Hill isn't and wasn't worth a 2nd round pick so far he hasn't shown us a damn thing except in 1 game.  This isn't his first year and these aren't rookie mistakes maybe he just doesn't get it.

We are in agreement that the 2nd round was waaaaaaaaaaay too high to take Stephen Hill.  He was an extremely raw project at WR.  He was more about having the prototypical speed, height/size and sky high potential, than proven production.  That said, he's here.  He still has a ton of physical talent and upside, and has improved in his route running and focus.  Will he make it the rest of the way?  I don't know, but think that it's too early to give up on him.  Maybe Sanjay Lal isn't that great of a WR coach, since none of the Jets receivers come back for the ball, and I think that route running seems to be a problem with most of them.

Hill may not be the sharpest pencil in the box.  A lot of professional athletes aren't, that's why a lot of them need a ton of reps before the light goes on. Perhaps because of that, lots of players, especially WRs and OLBs take 1-3 years to develop.  He has struggled with injuries, but then a lot of players in the NFL have this year.  I think that's partly a result of the new CBA agreement eliminating 2-a-days and limiting how many days a week teams can hit in practice.  I think that clearly changes how we can evaluate young players today vs even a few years ago.  While teams are perhaps less patient than ever, I think it could very well take young players longer to develop than previously because of the rules changes.  On top of that, his injuries have limited his practice reps and game prep even more.  He's also still a kid (22).  Developing instinct and discipline in one's craft/profession takes time and maturity.  I would submit that it takes mental discipline to keep one's focus during games and not round off routes or look to turn up field before cleanly catching the ball.  This is even more true when one isn't 100% physically or mentally.  There's also the experience factor.  I may be wrong, but don't think that there's a lot of young WRs who come back to the ball or break off their routes when their QB is being blitzed.  The ones who do probably were taught that in college, and maybe even HS, or it may be something instinctive with them.  The WCO isn't an easy offense.  In addition to remembering the game plan and all the different plays and formations, he's had to focus more on catching the ball and running the routes.  I think that perhaps he's so focused on those things at times that he doesn't realize they are being blitzed and that he needs to change his route, or is simply overwhelmed with all that he is trying to remember and do.

The best way to look at Hill might be to look at it as if he has never played WR before and is making the transition with the Jets.  Of course he has, but looking at Ga. Tech's offense, I think it would be fair to say that he has barely played WR before.  Patience is going to be key with him, just as it is with Geno, and the young Jets team.

Archived