Cimini: A Glimpse Into Our Crystal Ball

flgreen

Green Day: A glimpse into our crystal ball
November, 11, 2013
NOV 11
6:00
AM ET
By Rich Cimini | ESPNNewYork.com
After a six-day respite, the New York Jets return to practice Monday to begin what should be a fascinating two months. Unlike the coaches and players, we don't take 'em one at a time. A look at the final seven games, including our fearless prediction: They will go 3-4, finishing with an 8-8 record, missing the second wild-card spot. 

buf.gifat Buffalo Bills (3-7): The Bills have dropped three straight, but their secondary is healthier than it was in Week 3 against the Jets. That could mean trouble for Geno Smith, who torched them in the first meeting. This is a classic letdown game for the Jets, who have yet to win two straight. Prediction: Bills. 

bal.gifat Baltimore Ravens (4-5): Pay no attention to the Ravens' record; this will be a difficult spot for the Jets. The defending Super Bowl champions, who saved their season Sunday with an overtime win over the Cincinnati Bengals, still play good defense. They're a physical unit that stops the run, the kind of opponent that causes problems for the Jets. Rex Ryan is 0-2 against his former team, including a 34-17 beatdown in 2011.Prediction: Ravens.

mia.gifMiami Dolphins (4-4): Who knows where the Dolphins will be by Dec. 1? They could implode in the aftermath of the Richie Incognito-Jonathan Martin controversy or maybe it will galvanize them. Don't bet on it. They're down two starting offensive linemen on a suspect line, meaning Muhammad Wilkerson & Co. could feast on Ryan Tannehill, who already has been sacked 35 times. Prediction: Jets.

oak.gifOakland Raiders (3-6): The Raiders dropped their league-high 11 straight game in the Eastern time zone with Sunday's loss to the New York Giants, and now they have to fly back again to face the Jets in Week 14. This makes up for all those years when the Jets had to fly to Oakland. The Raiders aren't a good football team, but QB Terrelle Pryor could cause problems with his running ability. He has rushed for 485 yards, more than anybody on the Jets. Prediction: Jets. 

car.gifat Carolina Panthers (6-3): I'll take, "Things we never thought we'd see in December" for $1,000, Alex. Yep, it's hard to believe, but Jets-Panthers looms as a meaningful, potentially huge matchup in Week 15. The Panthers are a lot like the Jets: They play good defense and run the ball. The Jets will be looking for a sweep of the NFC South. Mobile Quarterback Month continues, as they face Cam NewtonPrediction: Panthers. 

cle.gifCleveland Browns (4-5): Surprisingly, the Browns are still hanging around, but it's hard to imagine them staying in the race this long. They're the opposite of the Jets, meaning ultra-streaky. They've already had a three-game winning streak and a three-game losing streak. They've already started three players at quarterback. By Week 16, it might be Bernie KosarPrediction: Jets. 

mia.gifat Miami Dolphins (4-4): The last time the Jets finished a season in Miami, things got crazy. (See Santonio Holmes versus Wayne Hunter, 2011.) In this case, the Jets could be playing for -- dare we say it? -- a playoff spot. Prediction: Dolphins.

Jets win their first back to back game against the Bills    W

Ravens- Got to agree with Cimini on this one, Rex again loses to the Ravens  L

Dolphin-  Fish have a decent D, their OL was crap before the Martin/Ingognito diaster.   Jets front tears them up.  W

Raiders- again I agree with Cimini.   W

Panthers-Think this is going to be a good game.  Jets will lose it late on a Smith interception L

Browns- Browns have been tough this year, they will fold in the streach  Jets W

Fish-  By this time the Fish will be dead in the water.  Martin/Incognito is still big news with the Media and  has crushed them.  W

I picked 10-6 at the beginning of the season and sticking with it.  

F Cimini

Yeah, pretty much.  Although I will say that, unfortunately, he probably is right regarding road games against both Baltimore and Carolina.  Those are looking like a couple of very ugly matchups and not the kind the Jets can generally be expected to be able to pull off a NE/NO-esque upset.  Every other game left is certainly winnable for the Jets though.  Predicting them to drop Sunday's game to the Bills in particular is just plain douchey.

Classic let down game after a bye?

Eh. IDK. Manuel doesnt like throwing the ball down the field. Stevie Johnson is hurt. Play turnover free football I think we win.

First thing I thought as well.  The only reason I could see the Jets losing to the Bills is because I'm super confident they wont.  

Manuel is hot garbage.  Dude cant throw the ball over 4 yards.  

The Buffalo game may have classic letdown written all over it, but if they lose to Buffalo, I'll expect them to beat the Ravens the following week. It'll be a classic exceeding expectations game after the disappointing loss.

Yeah, pretty much.  Although I will say that, unfortunately, he probably is right regarding road games against both Baltimore and Carolina.  Those are looking like a couple of very ugly matchups and not the kind the Jets can generally be expected to be able to pull off a NE/NO-esque upset.  Every other game left is certainly winnable for the Jets though.  Predicting them to drop Sunday's game to the Bills in particular is just plain douchey.

I think they are going to need 10 wins to get in. If they get 9 it starts to get a little dicey dealing with tie breakers and all that. I think the Jets need to win this week against Buffalo, both games against Miami, Oakland and Cleveland at home. 

The Carolina game is going to be very interesting. The teams are basically mirror images of each other. Great front 7's, A lack of depth at WR, an inconsistent running game. I think that games comes down to who performs better at QB. Cam or Geno. Right now I think Cam is starting to blossom into being a top tier QB. If they ever got him some receivers to go with Steve Smith and Greg Olson they could downright dangerous.

It all starts this week though. Go to Buffalo, get the win and let's go.

Jets win their first back to back game against the Bills    W

Ravens- Got to agree with Cimini on this one, Rex again loses to the Ravens  L

Dolphin-  Fish have a decent D, their OL was crap before the Martin/Ingognito diaster.   Jets front tears them up.  W

Raiders- again I agree with Cimini.   W

Panthers-Think this is going to be a good game.  Jets will lose it late on a Smith interception L

Browns- Browns have been tough this year, they will fold in the streach  Jets W

Fish-  By this time the Fish will be dead in the water.  Martin/Incognito is still big news with the Media and  has crushed them.  W

I picked 10-6 at the beginning of the season and sticking with it.  

I agree with this scenario up until the last game.  I can see a loss there and a 9-7 season.

I agree with this scenario up until the last game.  I can see a loss there and a 9-7 season.

Normally I'd agree with you on the  Fish game the last game of the season.   Talk radio down here is going crazy.  This isn't going away in South Florida any time soon.  Think the Fish are going to be a beaten dispirited mob by the end of the season.  

Both Philbin and Ireland will be  walking dead, Tannerhill may literally be dead.  

I think the Jets beat the Bills pretty handily.

The Jets have a good shot at beating Baltimore this year if Rex can get over his phobia or being psyched out by playing them.  If the Jets get blown out, then I think the consideration of Rex getting fired heats up again, because he has yet to beat them.

I'd love to see the Jets sweep the Phish, but history says that's unlikely.  The Phish always seem to play their best against the Jets even when they have plenty of reasons they shouldn't.  I think they'll probably split, with each winning at home, particularly if winning in Miami means making the playoffs, they'll probably lose.

They should beat the Raiders.  They just have to contain the running of both Terrelle Pryor and McFadden.  Since this is a strength of the Jets, this shouldn't be a problem, particularly since they'll be at home.

The Browns could be a dangerous game for the Jets.  Like the Jets, they're playing at a much higher level than anyone ever expected, especially after trading Trent Richardson.  Perhaps Joe Cribbs will be the difference in this game if he is psyched to show the Browns they made a mistake.

There's no way I see the Jets beating the Panthers.  I think the Panthers' front 7 is better, their pass rush is much better, and their no-name secondary has some real ball hawks.  Even if the Jets are able to slow down Carolina's rushing attack as well as SF did yesterday, unless Cam has an awful game, with receivers like Steve Smith, Greg Olson and Brandon LaFell, Carolina should prevail fairly easily.  I think Ted Ginn, Jr. has had some big games against the Jets in the past, and he's improved as a WR and still very dangerous as a PR and KR.

I think they'll go 4-3 the rest of the way, 5-2 at best.  In typical Jets fashion, they'll play just well enough to screw up their draft position so they miss out on all the best prospects in each round, but not well enough to make the playoffs.

@ Bills: W

@ Ravens: L

vs. Dolphins: W
vs. Raiders: W

@ Panthers: L

vs. Browns: W

@ Dolphins: L

I have us at 9-7. Main thing is, I don't see us losing those 2 games in a row out of the bye. I expect at least a split.

BTW, ESPN's "fearless prediction" was 32/32, in other words 0-16, 1-15 or 2-14. So I'm not listening to them now, either.

The Buffalo game may have classic letdown written all over it, but if they lose to Buffalo, I'll expect them to beat the Ravens the following week. It'll be a classic exceeding expectations game after the disappointing loss.

Exactly.  Cimini wrote the Bills prediction with the "every other week" theory in mind.  Ignoring the fact that the bye week kind of throws a bit of a wrench in that line of thinking, it would make sense to predict a Ravens victory to continue the cycle.

I'll add that a Bills loss tells me we don't belong in the postseason.  We can't afford losing "trap" games.  Falling to 5-5, with how many teams are "in the hunt" would be very problematic.  I can easily see the Browns winning @ Cincy this week to cloud our playoff chances, IF we fall.

Win in Buffalo and that Ravens game becomes a "playing with house money" kind of game.  Also, Joe Flacco is awful.

This Douche is just Itching for the Jets to "Just" miss out on a Play Off spot. Plus picking the Bills with E.J Manuel at the Helm, a bangged up C.J Spiller Perhaps no Johnson? - Their O is worse then ours.

The Jets D-Line as been Fantasic this Season, even if they do have Super Mario. I'd take Big Mo, he can play D.T/ D.E and stuffs the run, the boys motivated. I don't buy the "Trap Game" B.S

Jet by 10.

Archived