Today was awful, but we got some help.

Jetsfan80

I'm still going to root for this team with the assumption that making the playoffs is the goal.  Despite our dumpster fire of a game, the following teams have or are about to fall to 4-6 with losses this week:

Titans

Browns

Ravens

Loser of Dolphins/Chargers game (hopefully San Diego...Currently Miami leads 17-13 in the 4th) 

This puts us in a tie for the 6th seed with the winner of the Miami/San Diego game at 5-5.  Only bad news, other than our loss, was the Steelers coming back to beat Detroit to improve to 4-6.  We don't need them entering the playoff picture.

Too early to be scoreboard watching?  I say no:  I'm looking for SOME good news today.

While today's loss sucks, I'm not sure why everyone is so terribly surprise. Divisional games, regardless of the team's record, are always difficult. We have only won one game on the road, against a terrible falcons team, Buffalo is solid and we just are not that good of a football team. We've known how talent-depleted we are since the very beginning of the season, this is no surprise.  Personally, I'm going to use next week's game as a barometer and make this definitive statement: if we win in Baltimore, against the defending super bowl champions who will be playing for their season as well, we make the playoffs. If we lose, I say we go 8-8 and just miss out. 

We all know this team isn't that good and a few good press-clippings hasn't changed that. However, at 5-5 we still play Miami twice, Baltimore and Cleveland once, our playoff-destiny is still in our hands. I just find it a bit ironic how people admit how terrible of a team we have, yet are outraged when we lose. I can handle the losing, I can't handle our terrible Geno played, that's something I wasn't expecting or hoping for. Hopefully we get a big rebound next weekend.

Meh, you call it help... I call it choking.

Isn't it typical that the Jets take a dump in their pants when the have the opportunity to improve their position in the playoff hunt vs. an inferior team. For as long as I can remember watching the Jets the "let down game" has been part of their culture. Some call it "Same Old Jets" or whatever, but it happens every damn year... this team will see a glimmer of hope for the playoffs, and then they do EVERYTHING in their power to choke it away. 

Not even in a high-effort way either. It's not like they get beat by 3 in a close one.... no, the Jets historically will take the field but never show up for a game like this.

The minute the narrative around the Jets changed this week from "underdogs with a chip on their shoulder because they are better than people gave them credit for being" to "these guys are pretty good", this game's outcome became inevitable.

It doesn't matter the coach or players, this dog of a franchise is and always has been gutless since SBIII. Just more of the same... it's a damn shame so many people care.

While today's loss sucks, I'm not sure why everyone is so terribly surprise. Divisional games, regardless of the team's record, are always difficult. We have only won one game on the road, against a terrible falcons team, Buffalo is solid and we just are not that good of a football team. We've known how talent-depleted we are since the very beginning of the season, this is no surprise.  Personally, I'm going to use next week's game as a barometer and make this definitive statement: if we win in Baltimore, against the defending super bowl champions who will be playing for their season as well, we make the playoffs. If we lose, I say we go 8-8 and just miss out. 

We all know this team isn't that good and a few good press-clippings hasn't changed that. However, at 5-5 we still play Miami twice, Baltimore and Cleveland once, our playoff-destiny is still in our hands. I just find it a bit ironic how people admit how terrible of a team we have, yet are outraged when we lose. I can handle the losing, I can't handle our terrible Geno played, that's something I wasn't expecting or hoping for. Hopefully we get a big rebound next weekend.

i'm not outraged. disheartened that, once again, we need to look for a qb

I'm still going to root for this team with the assumption that making the playoffs is the goal.  Despite our dumpster fire of a game, the following teams have or are about to fall to 4-6 with losses this week:

Titans

Browns

Ravens

Loser of Dolphins/Chargers game (hopefully San Diego...Currently Miami leads 17-13 in the 4th) 

This puts us in a tie for the 6th seed with the winner of the Miami/San Diego game at 5-5.  Only bad news, other than our loss, was the Steelers coming back to beat Detroit to improve to 4-6.  We don't need them entering the playoff picture.

Too early to be scoreboard watching?  I say no:  I'm looking for SOME good news today.

Didn't you say you would be on the "Rex must go" bandwagon if the Jets lost this game?

All that matters. 

As far as Geno's performance - I made a great call on this one. Called Byrd's big game. It's long forgotten but going into the year Buffalo probably had the most talented secondary in the division if/when their guys (especially Byrd) are all on the field. Williams, Byrd (a top 2-3 safety if not the best), Gilmore, and McKlevin are all big, athletic, highly drafted...Meh. It sucks that they lost and it sucks that Geno sucked doing it, but both of these things were expected to be common this year. Just because it has been less common than was expected doesn't mean it wouldn't happen. 

ANYWAY, so long as the Jets are still in the playoff race (and they are) these losses don't hurt as much. Going by what former perts say, this team shouldn't even be .500 at this point in the season so **** a loss that takes them there. 

All that matters. 

As far as Geno's performance - I made a great call on this one. Called Byrd's big game. It's long forgotten but going into the year Buffalo probably had the most talented secondary in the division if/when their guys (especially Byrd) are all on the field. Williams, Byrd (a top 2-3 safety if not the best), Gilmore, and McKlevin are all big, athletic, highly drafted...Meh. It sucks that they lost and it sucks that Geno sucked doing it, but both of these things were expected to be common this year. Just because it has been less common than was expected doesn't mean it wouldn't happen. 

ANYWAY, so long as the Jets are still in the playoff race (and they are) these losses don't hurt as much. Going by what former perts say, this team shouldn't even be .500 at this point in the season so **** a loss that takes them there. 

And that is exactly why I think Byrd should be our #1 target in free agency. People forget, but this was a defense that pumped umpteen millions into the last couple of years and numerous high picks, they were slated to be one of the better defenses in the league coming into the year and we lucked out when their entire backend was decimated. Geno had an atrocious game, but it was one where you really have to credit buffalo: when Geno stepped up into the pocket to by more time, there was Kyle Williams right in his face. When Cumberland ran his route too deep, Byrd had excellent position to make that pick.  And this is all not even showing how Gilmore and McKelvin were blanketing Hill and Nelson, which isn't too surprising. 

It's a sh*tty loss, not doubt, but there's still 6 games to go in the season and we're currently tied for the 6th seed in the playoff race with a team we play two more times this year. I'm not expecting us to make it, I still think we're a 7-9 team, but I also wouldn't be surprised if they did and will be hoping they do every single game.

All that matters. 

While our playoff destiny still being in our hands is all that matters, it doesn't exactly inspire confidence that that was the situation today as well and we squandered it SOJ style.

Oh well, it's adversity. Let's see if this team can rebound, or if they go into the typical tailspin in the 2nd half of the season that I've gotten sort of accustomed to under Rex. 

And that is exactly why I think Byrd should be our #1 target in free agency. People forget, but this was a defense that pumped umpteen millions into the last couple of years and numerous high picks, they were slated to be one of the better defenses in the league coming into the year and we lucked out when their entire backend was decimated. Geno had an atrocious game, but it was one where you really have to credit buffalo: when Geno stepped up into the pocket to by more time, there was Kyle Williams right in his face. When Cumberland ran his route too deep, Byrd had excellent position to make that pick.  And this is all not even showing how Gilmore and McKelvin were blanketing Hill and Nelson, which isn't too surprising. 

It's a sh*tty loss, not doubt, but there's still 6 games to go in the season and we're currently tied for the 6th seed in the playoff race with a team we play two more times this year. I'm not expecting us to make it, I still think we're a 7-9 team, but I also wouldn't be surprised if they did and will be hoping they do every single game.

Not even a doubt in my mind about this. 

A playoff berth is always a good thing. But really how will the jets really do in Foxboro or in Denver in the 1st round? It also might but Idizk in the odd position of being cowed into bringing back Wrecks when he'd rather bring in his own guy. 

There is a stink coming from this team that smells just like the stink put out when we collapsed the last couple years. Rex is turtle-ing on offense and being stupidly stubborn about playing lock down man and cover 0 when he does not have the players that can play it. I would be surprised if we finish 8-8 now and I never overreact to a victory or loss. I just see Rex repeating the same mistakes and clinging to philosophies that do not win consistently in the NFL

Archived