Geno Smith's Struggles Reminiscent of Sanchez's Rookie Season

flgreen

Geno Smith’s struggles reminiscent of Mark Sanchez’s rookie season

Geno Smith benched

The Jets have been here before — and not long ago.

They have a rookie quarterback and a team mired in mediocrity in the middle of the season, not unlike four seasons ago. But back in 2009, the Jets ended up rebounding by season’s end. The formula might not be quite so simple for the Jets this season, who must rebound after Sunday’s 37-14 loss at the Bills and another disastrous showing from their rookie quarterback.

Through 10 games, Geno Smith is near the bottom of most NFL passer ratings. He is looking every bit the part of a quarterback who dropped to the middle of the second round of this past April’s NFL Draft based off serious question marks on accuracy and his ability to read defenses. Smith was just 8-of-23 for 103 yards with three interceptions against the Bills.

Smith emerged on shaky ground Monday, but will remain the starting quarterback, according to head coach Rex Ryan.

didn’t play well — had positives, had negatives. More negatives than positives, but just didn’t play well,” Smith said on Monday after reviewing the game film from the Bills.

Ball security is a major issue now for the Jets, especially with Smith’s 20 turnovers this year. He has four fumbles lost in addition to 16 interceptions.

Smith has had multiple interceptions in a game six times this season. The Jets are 1-5 in those games.

Veteran quarterback David Garrard, brought in to mentor Smith, is impressed with the rookie’s resilience and said “he continues to come in humble.” A meek spirit isn’t enough to keep the Jets in postseason contention.

On Monday, backup quarterback Matt Simms said he’s still the No. 2 quarterback behind Smith, but with the Jets 5-5, they need to balance the development of their raw quarterback against some serious postseason ambitions.

“I haven’t seen a timer on that so I don’t have any concerns,” Smith said. “I’m going about it day by day as I’ve always done and just working hard and trying to progress and get better better day by day.”

This scenario is lining up eerily like the 2009 season with rookie quarterback Mark Sanchez under center. Sanchez was annointed as the Week 1 starter and Ryan never yanked Sanchez over his lackluster performances, instead riding the rookie through a rough start to the season. The Jets would make the playoffs and a run to the AFC Championship game.

The Jets are hoping lightning strikes twice.

Ryan showed patience then and appears to be doing the same thing with Smith, who perhaps isn’t as polished as Sanchez when he was a rookie. He’s not talking about a quarterback controversy, even as Simms entered the game in the fourth quarter on Sunday and led the offense to a touchdown on his first drive.

“I don’t, honestly, that’s up to the coaches,” Smith said. “I go out there and perform the best that I can and I leave that in the hands of the coaches.”

Follow Jets beat writer Kristian Dyer on Twitter @KristianRDyer.

- See more at: http://www.metro.us/newyork/sports/nfl/2013/11/18/geno-smiths-struggles-reminiscent-of-mark-sanchezs-rookie-season/#sthash.t2ESBXSj.dpuf

Ever!!!! They can never, ever find a ******* quarterback! I want to break something!

If you cant find one in what some experts are calling the greatest array of talent at the QB position to come out of college since 1983 (where of course the Jets took Ken O'Brien over Dan Marino), then Houston, we have a problem. Heres the list:

Bridgewater

Mariota

Manziel

Murray

McCarron

Mettenberg

Hundley

Boyd

The top 2 will probably be gone, but surely many of the others will fall to where the Jets will be drafting, and if Manziel falls to them and they pass, I like many will be sick.

I honestly just don't understand why the Jets cannot find an even serviceable QB. This sh*t is unreal.

We have one in Geno. But it is Rex that is the common denominator here and the one ******* things up. He sucks, and his hyper conservative negative reinforcement laced handling of the offense destroys QBs

Don't think the comparison of Geno Smith and Mark Sanchez is even close. Geno can scramble, that's one thing he has over Sanchez. At times, he can throw he ball accurately downfield - here's another thing. He also throws the ball away, and has absolutely no #1 receivers around him that can consistently get open. Holmes is not a #1 receiver, if not for anything but the fact that he's suddenly and miraculously cured from a hamstring injury just in time to try and land a new contract with another team next year.

Sanhez also had a rock of an offensive line to work with in his first two seasons.

Yes, Smith does make a lot of mistakes, and yes, he has played horrendously at times, but let's not make the comparison. I get scared when someone does.

When the Jets beat the Ravens, Smith will be a hero once again.

We have one in Geno. But it is Rex that is the common denominator here and the one ******* things up. He sucks, and his hyper conservative negative reinforcement laced handling of the offense destroys QBs

WTF does that even mean?

Geno may eventually be good, but you are outside your damn mind if you think he qualifies as having a QB right now. We lose games because of his play. It's pretty much fact.

Its tough to be serviceable working with this Jets offense. Our WR's we've picked up off the street are better than the guys we've drafted.

I know, I've been reminding people of the off-the-street FA makeup of this team for weeks. It's really an unfortunate squad to have to prove yourself with, that said, 5 wins with these bums is pretty good - for Rex and Geno both. 

Sad though, that we're SO far away from contending.

I'd take a long look at Murray. His projections are going to be through the roof, and unless he takes a big leap between now and April he might be there in the third.

Just read an article that said they wouldn't be surprised if he vaulted himself into the first round if he has a strong senior bowl/combine.

We should take more young quarterbacks and plug them into this very successful quarterback machine that Rex has going here.

Nail has been hit squarely on the head. The full blown Rex apologist want to point to him not having Tom Brady as an excuse. Well, if you sit around and wait for Tom Brady you will wait a very long time. Then, even if you do get lucky enough, you have to be smart enough to know how to put the right team around him and develop him properly. Year 1 and 2 of Brady was the best screen game ever, he was not exactly the Tom Brady we know of today.

Even if Rex is starting to figure this out now, if you ask him the problem with the Jets, he probably would answer the secondary, not the offense. I just don't know if Rex has HC in his DNA, he is just too focussed on the defense to a fault.

The one thing I see that is similar between Sanchez and Geno is how the offense is being run to try and limit the mistakes of the QB rather than to move the ball down field.  When I watch TB and Mike Glennon, they are running an NFL caliber offense and asking Glennon to make NFL throws on first down, second down, whenever rather than managing the game to avoid having the QB making mistakes.  Some would say that the offense is a function of the poor QB play, but this is the second QB that we have put the handcuffs on with run on first, run on second and invite the defense to pin their ears back on third.

If you cant find one in what some experts are calling the greatest array of talent at the QB position to come out of college since 1983 (where of course the Jets took Ken O'Brien over Dan Marino), then Houston, we have a problem. Heres the list:

Bridgewater

Mariota

Manziel

Murray

McCarron

Mettenberg

Hundley

Boyd

The top 2 will probably be gone, but surely many of the others will fall to where the Jets will be drafting, and if Manziel falls to them and they pass, I like many will be sick.

There is some talent here, but I think a lot of them have something to prove coming into the pros.  Mariota was awful in the only big game he has been asked to play this year.  Manziel does not have a protypical NFL arm or NFL size.  Murray is very short and has been somewhat disappointing this year.  Mettenberg has size and arm strength, but is probably more of a project than Mike Glennon was last year.  Hundley will probably stay in school and his best asset is still running with the ball.  And Boyd was down right terrible when FSU forced him to have to throw into tighter windows in their game.  He came off as too inaccurate on anything over 7 yards.

I like Bridgewater (not as a number 1 overall) and I really like McCarron, but I am not sure either will be there when we pick.

Jacksonville and Minnesota have to be locks to take those top-2 QBs.  TB might decide Glennon is their guy and go Clowney.  But I can't see the top two QBs lasting past the 3rd or 4th pick. 

I agree and I am greatly worried about the TEXANS. I think they have had enough of Schaub, and Keenum is a back up, so that leaves a TEXAS team in need of a QB and the one playing at Texas A+M would bring excitement to that franchise.

Also the Browns are done with Weeden, and Hoyer is a backup so they will need a QB. If Cutler leaves Chicago, they will need to draft one,

So now here is a possibile list of Teams needing a QB in this draft:

Jacksonville (lock)

Tampa Bay (maybe)

Minnesota (lock)

Houston (pretty much a lock)

Cleveland (lock)

Arizona (maybe)

Jets (maybe)

Chicago (lock if Cutler leaves)

At least 4 possibly 5 will have a higher draft status than the Jets, so if the JETS want a top 3 QB from this class, trading up will become almost a neccessity.

Thoughts?

Archived