Jets Defense on Historical Run

flgreen

New York Jets defense on historical run

November, 28, 2013

NOV 28

6:00

PM ET

By Rich Cimini | ESPNNewYork.com

The New York Jets lead the league in run defense. You probably already knew that. What you may not know is the Jets own one of the top run defenses in recent memory.

They're allowing 2.85 yards per rush. Some perspective: Since 2000, only three teams have allowed fewer yards per carry: The 2000 Baltimore Ravens (2.69), the 2006 Minnesota Vikings (2.83) and the 2007 Ravens (2.84).

As a side note, Rex Ryan was an assistant coach in Baltimore in '00 and '07; defensive-line coach Karl Dunbar served in the same position for the '06 Vikings. Is it a coincidence they're both heavily involved in another great run defense? No way. It would be a tremendous accomplishment if the Jets could somehow lower their average below the '00 Ravens, widely regarded as one of the top defensive outfits in history.

"I think right now, if you look at our team, we’re a dominant run defense," Ryan said. "There’s nobody close to us in this league and when you look at it, saying from a statistical standpoint, I think we give up 2.8 or 2.9 a rush, when the next closest team is maybe 3.5 or 3.4 per rush. I think that’s a separation that you don’t see very often in this league."

Ryan's numbers are accurate. The Cleveland Browns are second at 3.43.

In one year, the Jets managed to turn a weakness into a strength. They dropped to 21st last season (4.32), an embarrassing low for a Ryan-coached defense. How'd they improve so much so fast? Four reasons:

An immovable nose tackle: First-year starter Damon Harrison is a significant upgrade over Sione Po'uha, who was rendered ineffective last season because of a back injury that has forced him out of football. The Jets allow a paltry 2.5 yards per rush when Harrison is on the field, 2.9 when he's not. Enough said.

The Sheldon Factor: Mike DeVito was a solid, blue-collar run stuffer for the Jets, but they let him walk in free agency and replaced him with rookie Sheldon Richardson, who wasn't regarded as a superior run defender in college. Richardson has altered that reputation. He leads all rookies with 10.5 backfield stops -- 7.5 tackles behind the line and three sacks. He brings athleticism to the position, allowing Ryan to play an attacking style. The Jets aren't your typical 3-4, read-and-react scheme.

Mo better: Muhammad Wilkerson was a good player last season. Now he's a very good player, having improved his quickness and stamina. He can wreck any blocking scheme.

Faster linebackers: Last year's linebacking corps was dinosaurish. Graybeards Bart Scott and Bryan Thomas were too slow, one of the reasons why the defense allowed so many long runs. They were replaced by Demario Davis and Quinton Coples, who often plays in a three-point stance as the "rush" linebacker. Nothing helps a front seven like youth and speed. "Mike" linebacker David Harris dropped weight in the offseason, improving his lateral quickness. As a result, the Jets have allowed only 16 runs of 10+ yards, the fewest in the league.

"I think right now, if you look at our team, we’re a dominant run defense," Ryan said. "There’s nobody close to us in this league and when you look at it, saying from a statistical standpoint, I think we give up 2.8 or 2.9 a rush, when the next closest team is maybe 3.5 or 3.4 per rush. I think that’s a separation that you don’t see very often in this league."

Ryan's numbers are accurate. The Cleveland Browns are second at 3.43.

If this is true, Rex deserves that extension. 

Yeah it would be nice to beat the 2000 Ravens on that record for sure. But of course this D is not in the same zip code as that D. That Ravens team would have won it all even with Geno at the helm, that's how dominate their defense was.

Now can the Jets turn the secondary from a weakness to a strength in "one year" or the offense from atrocious to at least competent given all the draft picks and money to spend? That will be interesting to say the least.

I will say this - don't expect the run defense or defense as a whole to be as good if Rex is fired. Not to mention the fact that most assistant coaches are let go with the HC and that the D plays a lot better than it should under Rex.

stoicsentry, on 28 Nov 2013 - 9:26 PM, said:

LOL people were talking **** when he had a great pass defense, now his run defense is great and more ****

Take a look at a ****ing box score. Teams still run the ****ing football.

I actually agree with bolded, but I would take a good balanced defense over one with a historic run defense and horrible secondary in a QB driven league.

Not that the Jets will likely be playing in January, but Dec and Jan is when run D is much more important.

Interesting that you chose to use that stat instead of the more relevant one. Agenda?

Record of top 5 rush defenses: 36-20.

Only if you're using rushing YPG, which you shouldn't, since three of those five teams are in the bottom 5 of rushing attempts against this season. A better measure would be YPC, in which case the top 5 teams are 31-25. A better one still would be recognizing that other run-stuffing teams being good doesn't have any bearing on our particular dogsh*t outfit.

Only if you're using rushing YPG, which you shouldn't, since three of those five teams are in the bottom 5 of rushing attempts against this season. A better measure would be YPC, in which case the top 5 teams are 31-25. A better one still would be recognizing that other run-stuffing teams being good doesn't have any bearing on our particular dogsh*t outfit.

I actually screwed up the math on this. There are a bunch of teams tied for that fifth YPC spot. When you factor all of them in, the record is 42-37.

This is like a bazarro world. Who cares how good the run D is if the pass D is a hilarious joke?

Great point, and the "modern NFL", the one Rex doesnt recognize, is pass oriented and QB driven. Great, you stop the run, and how are your special teams at stopping the onside kick?

Give me a team that can decently defend the PASS, pressure the QB, and can sling it all over the yard on offense, anyday in to days NFL over a great run defense, and average to below average passing game.

The Jets have a very good defensive line. Teams know they can't run against them, which is fine because this isn't a running league anymore.  The rules are in place to make this a big play passing league.  QBs and WRs can barely be touched.

Having a defense that is good against the run is important, but not when you're getting torched in the secondary week in and week out.

Archived