Why Rex Ryan Cannot Coach The Jets Next Year

JetNation

Rex Ryan and Woody JohnsonJust a few weeks ago the New York Jets were sitting at 5-4 and in position to make a run at the playoffs but a humiliating three game losing streak and the regression of rookie quarterback Geno Smith has all but put an end to the playoff talk and head coach Rex Ryan’s job.

There are varying opinions on Ryan’s coaching tenure but most agree a defensive minded coach with a conservative offensive mindset.  This philosophy served him well early in his head coaching career but late season failures have plagued the team over the last several years.

Much could be said about Ryan’s decision making, how much influence he had with personnel and can he rebuild an offense, which has ranked at the bottom of the league for two seasons, as reasons for him to be let go.  There are arguments that could be made to retain Ryan as he did get the team to consecutive AFC Championship games but short of a miracle turnaround Rex Ryan needs to be replaced because he’ll be in a no win situation.  

The team needed to show progress with a nucleus of core young players including the quarterback if Ryan was to save his job for next year.  Sitting at 5-4 with some impressive victories, Smith showing flashes of being the quarterback moving forward and a talented defense it looked like retaining Ryan would be a no brainer. 

Quarterback Geno Smith’s total loss of confidence and ability to run the offense along with the need to develop that entire side of the ball will call for another dreaded “rebuilding” year.  With no real viable quarterback of the future the head coach will need a “honeymoon” period where tough short term decisions can be made for long term gain.

The Jets are heading into this offseason possibly in worse shape than last offseason.  It is very likely the team drafts another quarterback and at some point that rookie could be starting.  The head coach will need time to put the Jets on a path of success and keeping Rex Ryan on another year with a team which probably can’t win is simple delaying the inevitable. 

Better off to start fresh with a new coaching staff who can begin to implement their systems and philosophy while having some security that a long term approach can be taken. Even if the team has a poor 2014 season there will be stability in the coaches heading into 2015.

There are no guarantees a new head coach will be successful but he will need time to try.  Unfortunately the opportunity for Rex Ryan to succeed has just about run out.

How the **** are they in worse shape than last offseason?  They have a ton of draft picks and money.  It is a way better situation and the true chance for a GM to put his stamp on the team.

In my opinion, they are in GREAT shape this off season, with what you said. We have seen it before where a team changes coaches, drafts a Franchise guy and BOOM, playoffs: Colts last year, new coach, new QB:playoffs.

The Jets will have draft day opportunities galore, multiple picks, trade up, trade down, lots of money for FA, will rid themselves of Sanchez, Holmes etc. I cant wait for this off-season, free-agency, the draft, and a new coach. Oh wait, its the JETS, sorry.

How the **** are they in worse shape than last offseason?  They have a ton of draft picks and money.  It is a way better situation and the true chance for a GM to put his stamp on the team.  

This team is worse off than last year because at least last year there was some hope this defense was good.  There was hope that a better QB would make this team better. There was hope that the draft picks and free agent signings would improve.  And even if this was a 4-12 season, some kind of progression would give people hope for next year.  If this team plays like they have the last few weeks, they finish 5-11 and look like a team that needs 18 new starters and a bunch of backups.   They would look like a practice squad group.    

So Idzik has dumped a lot of salaries and has a team with a  defense that has a great  DL against the run.  Except it's 2013 and teams pass all the time.   The offense is worse than last year and they have a rookie QB who looks like he stinks and will be out of the NFL in a few years.     They still have no WRs or TEs or RBs that are the goto guy in big games.   

The situation is that next year will be better we hope, they hope, everybody hopes.  But who knows.  It's all on blind faith.  In Idziks first year in the NFL as a GM, the Jets are worse off than they were last year, except for cap space.   That might be good for Woody, but for a winning organization, it just means they need to find an entire new team as most of the players on this team stink.   

Plus if Rex and staff are fired, it's hoping he knows how to pick the right guy.     I'm not drinking the Idzik kool aid like some people have.  He deserves a chance to build a winning organization, but so far, the only thing he's done well is cut cap space. As far as putting a good team with a future on the field,  the Jets need to start over again next year, as this year, they really didn't sign or draft well. 

This team is worse off than last year because at least last year there was some hope this defense was good.  There was hope that a better QB would make this team better. There was hope that the draft picks and free agent signings would improve.  And even if this was a 4-12 season, some kind of progression would give people hope for next year.  If this team plays like they have the last few weeks, they finish 5-11 and look like a team that needs 18 new starters and a bunch of backups.   They would look like a practice squad group.    

So Idzik has dumped a lot of salaries and has a team with a  defense that has a great  DL against the run.  Except it's 2013 and teams pass all the time.   The offense is worse than last year and they have a rookie QB who looks like he stinks and will be out of the NFL in a few years.     They still have no WRs or TEs or RBs that are the goto guy in big games.   

The situation is that next year will be better we hope, they hope, everybody hopes.  But who knows.  It's all on blind faith.  In Idziks first year in the NFL as a GM, the Jets are worse off than they were last year, except for cap space.   That might be good for Woody, but for a winning organization, it just means they need to find an entire new team as most of the players on this team stink.   

Plus if Rex and staff are fired, it's hoping he knows how to pick the right guy.     I'm not drinking the Idzik kool aid like some people have.  He deserves a chance to build a winning organization, but so far, the only thing he's done well is cut cap space. As far as putting a good team with a future on the field,  the Jets need to start over again next year, as this year, they really didn't sign or draft well. 

If it is worse off next year it is solely because Idzik sucks.  There was not a chance of being a serious contender this year.  There is a chance next year, but if they are not headed in the right direction it will be because Idzik is a dog.  Give Tannenbaum the 2014 offseason and they would field a contender. We may not want to go too far and mortgage the future, but they should be decent at worst.

Rex is arguably the best head coach the Jets have ever had. I would hate to see him fired because of a bunch of whiners that like to root against their own team.

The situation is that next year will be better we hope, they hope, everybody hopes.  But who knows.

It's a virtual certainty when you have as much cap room (and willingness to spend) as Woody will have next year, that's a huge advantage. They have all of their picks so they are not at a disadvantage there.

Yes I do.

Rex may be one of the better coaches in Jets history but that is only because the track record of coaches for them is absolutely terrible. He's not close to the best though. Not at all.

That said, if he gets fired it will be deserved. He's had more than his fair shake here. Time to move on.

PC.jpgJust a few weeks ago the New York Jets were sitting at 5-4 and in position to make a run at the playoffs but a humiliating three game losing streak and the regression of rookie quarterback Geno Smith has all but put an end to the playoff talk and head coach Rex Ryan’s job.There are varying opinions on Ryan’s coaching tenure but most agree a defensive minded coach with a conservative offensive mindset.  This philosophy served him well early in his head coaching career but late season failures have plagued the team over the last several years.Much could be said about Ryan’s decision making, how much influence he had with personnel and can he rebuild an offense, which has ranked at the bottom of the league for two seasons, as reasons for him to be let go.  There are arguments that could be made to retain Ryan as he did get the team to consecutive AFC Championship games but short of a miracle turnaround Rex Ryan needs to be replaced because he’ll be in a no win situation.  The team needed to show progress with a nucleus of core young players including the quarterback if Ryan was to save his job for next year.  Sitting at 5-4 with some impressive victories, Smith showing flashes of being the quarterback moving forward and a talented defense it looked like retaining Ryan would be a no brainer.  Quarterback Geno Smith’s total loss of confidence and ability to run the offense along with the need to develop that entire side of the ball will call for another dreaded “rebuilding” year.  With no real viable quarterback of the future the head coach will need a “honeymoon” period where tough short term decisions can be made for long term gain.The Jets are heading into this offseason possibly in worse shape than last offseason.  It is very likely the team drafts another quarterback and at some point that rookie could be starting.  The head coach will need time to put the Jets on a path of success and keeping Rex Ryan on another year with a team which probably can’t win is simple delaying the inevitable.  Better off to start fresh with a new coaching staff who can begin to implement their systems and philosophy while having some security that a long term approach can be taken. Even if the team has a poor 2014 season there will be stability in the coaches heading into 2015.There are no guarantees a new head coach will be successful but he will need time to try.  Unfortunately the opportunity for Rex Ryan to succeed has just about run out.Follow Me:twitter.pnghttp://feeds.feedburner.com/~ff/Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA http://feeds.feedburner.com/~ff/Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITshttp://feeds.feedburner.com/~r/Jetnationcom/~4/1qCEwcXVYMIView the full article

This article is the blue print on how to run an NFL franchise into the ground for 45 years, at every bump in the road go back to the starting line.

This exact article could have been written for Marvin Lewis 3 years ago for the exact stupid short term thinking, and if you did write it about him you would look really foolish right about now, nobody wants Marvin Lewis fired, and he won't be.

Yeah, for serious. They could be really good in 2014 with some smart moves that may or may not (hopefully not) include firing Ryan. 

Rex is arguably the best head coach the Jets have ever had. I would hate to see him fired because of a bunch of whiners that like to root against their own team.

It's a virtual certainty when you have as much cap room (and willingness to spend) as Woody will have next year, that's a huge advantage. They have all of their picks so they are not at a disadvantage there.

Oh delusional one....Rex is arguably the WORST coach in Jets history as well. Rich Kotite still occupies the top spot on this list but another year of Rex may have me jumping off the roof of MetLife. The guy is simply NOT a true HC in any sense of the word. Personnel, in game adjustments, challenge calls, timeout management, motivation of team and development of young players are ALL negatives in my opinion. Look at the struggles of Dee Milliner. Here's a kid out of a major college power who was very good at that level and comes here and looks absolutely lost. How does this happen? Because Rex doesn't know how to fix it, and neither does anyone else on his staff. Rex had one really good year 2010 and since then it has been a disappointment (2011) a circus (2012) and now rock bottom. What do you see that the rest of us don't?

In my opinion, they are in GREAT shape this off season, with what you said. We have seen it before where a team changes coaches, drafts a Franchise guy and BOOM, playoffs: Colts last year, new coach, new QB:playoffs.

The Jets will have draft day opportunities galore, multiple picks, trade up, trade down, lots of money for FA, will rid themselves of Sanchez, Holmes etc. I cant wait for this off-season, free-agency, the draft, and a new coach. Oh wait, its the JETS, sorry.

Somehow Idzik drafting one more time makes me extremely uncomfortable. 

I think that stoicsentry has a fear of the unknown that has clouded his judgement as far as Rex is concerned. I would rather try to be optimistic that John Idzik can find the right guy than to hope Rex can evolve into something that he clearly is not, and that is a good HC. Rex is a 'players coach' that is loyal to a fault to 'his guys'. Look how long he stuck with BARF Scott (I can't even say the guys name anymore he disgusted me so badly) and Eric Smith. Now it's Ed Reed, who clearly can't play anymore, but is telling us he's not only 'helped' the team but can play TWO MORE YEARS. With Rex around he might, but that doesn't mean he will make play one...he'll just stick around because he's one of Rex's guys. I really can't take anymore of Rex and will wait eagerly for the axe to fall just hours after the Dolphins sweep the Jets and make Ryan's record against Miami 3-7.

Rex may be one of the better coaches in Jets history but that is only because the track record of coaches for them is absolutely terrible.  

no one good wants this job. If they fire Rex it will be some retread or another first time HC. they are not going to lure a better coach than Rex Ryan to this job, for a variety of reasons. 

no one good wants this job. If they fire Rex it will be some retread or another first time HC. they are not going to lure a better coach than Rex Ryan to this job, for a variety of reasons.

There is no possible way of knowing that.

And if so, so be it.

I am convinced Rex cannot get us to the next level.

Sometimes you need to take a step back before you can take a step forward.

I think that stoicsentry has a fear of the unknown that has clouded his judgement as far as Rex is concerned. I would rather try to be optimistic that John Idzik can find the right guy than to hope Rex can evolve into something that he clearly is not, 

why should we be optimistic about John Idzik? He drafted Sheldon (which was good) but also 8 other worthless players. He signed David Garrard, Mike Goodson, Stephen Peterman etc. He neglected the WR position and then "filled it out" with scrubs like Nelson, Salas, Cribbs etc. He signed Braylon. He signed Winslow. He overruled Rex and meddled in the QB decisions (still does). 

if we are being honest Rex Ryan has a better resume as a HC than John Idzik does as GM. No good HC is going to want a job where the GM sets the lineup at QB. 

why should we be optimistic about John Idzik? He drafted Sheldon (which was good) but also 8 other worthless players. He signed David Garrard, Mike Goodson, Stephen Peterman etc. He neglected the WR position and then "filled it out" with scrubs like Nelson, Salas, Cribbs etc. He signed Braylon. He signed Winslow. He overruled Rex and meddled in the QB decisions (still does). 

if we are being honest Rex Ryan has a better resume as a HC than John Idzik does as GM. No good HC is going to want a job where the GM sets the lineup at QB. 

John Idzik has a better resume than Matt Bitonti on football personnel

Overruled Rex on what? Drafting Geno Smith? I would say Rex had a LOT to do with why Jets are struggling with Smith in the first place by getting Sanchez crushed in pre-season. I wouldn't call Milliner a bust just yet or Winters. Or even Geno for that matter, so I wouldn't call the draft worthless. I believe the HC has a LOT of input on personnel matters, so Idzik is kinda on his own in that department. BTW who do you think is responsible for Ed Reed? Idzik...I doubt it.

Archived