Garrard says Jets want him to return in 2014

FloridaJetsFan

WTF Idzik?

David Garrard says Jets asked about returning in 2014

We know one veteran quarterback who the New York Jets want back for 2014: David Garrard.

The signal caller told the New York Post's Bart Hubbuch that the Jets approached him two weeks ago about returning next season.

Garrard signed with the Jets as a free agent in March, but he left the team two months later because of recurring knee issues. The team brought him back in October after he started feeling healthy.

Presumably, the Jets like the mentoring job Garrard is doing with rookie quarterback Geno Smith.

The 35-year-old said he was undecided about returning to New York. Garrard told Hubbuch that he appreciates the Jets bringing him back this season, but he wants to play and understands that it's "Geno's team."

The 10-year NFL vet said he's healthier now than he's been over the past several seasons and wants a shot to play regularly. We have a hard time believing a team would give the aging veteran a chance to run a team again, healthy or not. However, he could be a great mentor for a young quarterback like Smith. Many hand-holding veteran quarterbacks have picked up a nice paycheck for several years after the NFL threw them to the sidelines.

Never-used Garrard says Jets want him back for 2014

By Bart HubbuchDecember 6, 2013 | 4:15pm

And you thought the Jets’ quarterback plans couldn’t get any stranger.

David Garrard, the veteran whom the Jets have stubbornly — and inexplicably — refused to use during rookie Geno Smith’s recent troubles, told The Post on Friday the team has approached him repeatedly about coming back as a player next season.

Garrard, 35, said the most recent informal contact from Jets management about a 2014 return was two weeks ago, with the club explaining its interest by telling him “once a Jet, always a Jet.”

Despite being relegated to No. 3 quarterback behind Smith and former undrafted free agent Matt Simms, Garrard said he would “love to come back,” but isn’t ready to commit because he hasn’t consulted his family and because of potential playing opportunities elsewhere.

“It’s something I would have to think about,” Garrard said as the 5-7 Jets prepared to host the 4-8 Raiders on Sunday.

A team spokesman said he could not immediately confirm Friday afternoon that the Jets had approached Garrard about coming back.

The Jets’ continuing refusal to use Garrard remains puzzling, considering they are still in playoff contention, but have lost three games in a row in large part because of Smith’s ineffective, turnover-prone play.

Rex Ryan is going back to Smith again as the starter this weekend, though the second-round pick from West Virginia hasn’t thrown a touchdown pass since Week 7 against the Patriots and was benched at halftime of the Jets’ 23-3 home loss to the Dolphins last week.

Smith is completing just 38 percent of his passes with no touchdowns and six interceptions during the Jets’ three-game skid, but Ryan went with Simms in relief last week and seemingly acts as if Garrard isn’t even on the team.

GM John Idzik signed him to a one-year, $1 million deal in the offseason that included a $100,000 signing bonus. He briefly retired in the offseason because of weakness in his knee stemming from surgery last year, then returned in October saying he was fully recovered.

There has been speculation Garrard isn’t entirely healthy, but the former Jaguars starter disagreed Friday.

“I feel great,” Garrard said. “I’m as healthy now as I was before my knee surgery. I’m not my pep, young self, but aging happens to everybody. But physically, I’m healthy. I feel like I can go out there and do anything that I’ve done before.”

Then again, the coaching staff’s hesitancy to use Garrard isn’t entirely unfounded. He did throw 15 interceptions in 14 games in 2010, his final season with Jacksonville, and led the league with 14 fumbles in 2009 and 11 fumbles in 2010.

Garrard, who hasn’t played a regular-season snap since 2010, in large part because of concerns about his health, said he is grateful to the Jets for resurrecting his career and readily admits, “It’s Geno’s team.”

“How can you be frustrated when you retire and get an opportunity to come back?” Garrard said. “You’re happy to be in any situation. You can’t make any noise or have any regrets. You just have to be ready to go.”

At the same time, Garrard revealed to The Post he has pulled aside quarterbacks coach David Lee on more than one occasion this season for “little talks” about how the coaching staff feels about him.

“I’m still a competitor, and I would love to play,” Garrard said. “But I don’t have any thoughts or concerns about, ‘Why me?’ I’ve played for a while now and had a ton of shots. I just have to be ready when it happens.”

But Garrard said he isn’t frustrated or confused and doesn’t feel as if the Jets broke any promises to him. Otherwise, he wouldn’t be open to returning if the team is serious about wanting him back.

“I actually understand everything that’s going on,” Garrard said. “Geno needs his work. He needs the reps on the field. He needs to be able to work the offense out of this slump we’re in, so he needs that time. None of that bothers me. I just want to be as supportive for him and this team as much as I can, and right now, that’s definitely my role.”

Awesome phenomenon: Rex fans morphing into Idzik denouncers. Productive.

Funny that the guys who don't think you give a contract extension to a coach after turning in (presumably) 3 years in a row without a winning season are the closest Pats fans... Kinda feels like the opposite were true. #logic!

"Then again, the coaching staff’s hesitancy to use Garrard isn’t entirely unfounded. He did throw 15 interceptions in 14 games in 2010, his final season with Jacksonville, and led the league with 14 fumbles in 2009 and 11 fumbles in 2010."

Well hell, that explains why the Jets are so anxious to get Garrard resigned.  He's taught Smith everything he knows 

Yeah, totes fire the GM because he maybe had a conversation about seeing what David Garrard is possibly thinking about the future!!!

the fact that David Garrard is even on this team is all on Idzik. This is a guy who hasn't played a real snap since 2010, still can't help this current Jets team, and they want to bring him back??? cmon

the fact that David Garrard is even on this team is all on Idzik. This is a guy who hasn't played a real snap since 2010, still can't help this current Jets team, and they want to bring him back??? cmon

Idzik's Mark Brunnell.

At this point I wouldn't be shocked if Geno gets a big extension in the off-season.

Greatest Jets catastrophes ever:

1. When Bill Parcells called Archie Manning to tell him that Peyton sucks and should go back to Tennessee because he sucked.

2. Drafting Ken O'Brien because Dan Marino showed up to the Combine with Colombian marching powder in his mustache.

3. Letting cocaine (again!) scare Rich Kotite into drafting Kyle Brady over Warren Sapp.

4. John Idzik asking David Garrard what his future plans are.

5. Parcells suffocating Leon Hess in his sleep so he could sneak off to Dallas.

So wasting a roster spot on a guy who is unable to contribute to the team is a good move?

Do explain.

He's not unable. The jets are unwilling. What's the difference if the cut him and sign someone like cade mcknown. Neither are in the long term plans.

If you're going to have a veteran mentor might as well be someone with a lot of experience and is a rock solid guy.

Y are the jets the only team that need a old qb who can't play to mentor someone ! How about getting someone who can push the qb to be better

Other teams do it too. They just call them "assistant coaches," which doesn't waste a spot on their roster.

He's not unable. The jets are unwilling. What's the difference if the cut him and sign someone like cade mcknown. Neither are in the long term plans.

If you're going to have a veteran mentor might as well be someone with a lot of experience and is a rock solid guy.

If the guy is on the roster, then he should be physically capable of contributing on the field, if needed.

Brunell wasn't. Neither is Garrard.

It's a waste of a roster spot. Considering it's a QB, and our other two options are useless, it's ridiculous. Hire Garrard as an assistant coach if you want him to mentor Geno. But every QB on the roster should be physically able to perform on the field, if the team needs them to.

Idzik is no better than Tannenbaum in this regard.

Archived