NOT BUYING THE HYPE

CobraVerde

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

shush..  I want to see where this goes.  I got time to burn.

So... an Ape refuting Slatsy's reputation for being "one of the smart ones" and mocking his incessant, insecurity-driven need to be praised for his "intelligence" won't provide entertainment?

Rex is 40-37 not including postseason. Add in the postseason and he's 44-39. 

TomShane = FAIL. 

He's 0-2 in AFCC games. 0-0 in Superbowls.

He's an inconsistent poop of a coach... hell you can't even count on Rex to beat the buffet consistently anymore.

Further what big time WR or TE is signing up to watch this abortion of a caveman offense. Such players earn money with big time stats. NOBODY on  a Wrecks offense is racking up YPC, TDs  and catches. Nobody else bothers to run the Wildcat. Nobody wants to play with a crappy QB. Jimmy graham is not signing to get thrown 2 balls a week, and one of'em way off target.

Marty Mornhinweg coaches a cave man offense?  The guy will put it up if he has any chance of success.  He did it yesterday and the first Buffalo game.  The idea that it is all on Rex seems a bit  much at this point.  Mornhinweg is pass happy, that is just impossible with this team.  They have resources to add some offense next year.  They have to no matter who ends up coach. 

So... an Ape refuting Slatsy's reputation for being "one of the smart ones" and mocking his incessant, insecurity-driven need to be praised for his "intelligence" won't provide entertainment?

you've got a point..  but it might lead to you getting a little vacation.  I like when you're around making your asinine comments for me to poop on.

you've got a point..  but it might lead to you getting a little vacation.  I like when you're around making your asinine comments for me to poop on.

You know better than most I love to lob up the meatball pitch and see how far some of you goofballs can smash it. Self deprecating? Sure, but funny as heck...

I don't mind being a set-up man, if the LOL's are worth it... unfortunately, you swing the bat like it weighs 4,000 lbs.

Three Mangini-era drafts produced 14 Pro Bowl appearances. Four Rex drafts have produced zero. Chansi Stuckey was better than Stephen Hill is. Dustin Keller has doubled Kerley's production. Dwight Lowery and Drew Coleman have had better careers than Kyle Wilson.

Probowl appearances >>>> playoff wins

Priorities, dawg

I never consider it Rex's job to choose personnel. if he has been picking (offensive) personnel because the GM (Tanny) can't, I don't put that on Rex. To me, Idzik's big test is this offseason with all the cap room he's getting. if he can build a halfway decent offense, this team is MUCH better.

I never consider it Rex's job to choose personnel. if he has been picking (offensive) personnel because the GM (Tanny) can't, I don't put that on Rex. To me, Idzik's big test is this offseason with all the cap room he's getting. if he can build a halfway decent offense, this team is MUCH better.

Which begs the question - Do you think the defense will take a major step back if Rex is gone? 

If your answer is "yes" then you don't fire him. 

They've all had their input. What we don't know at this point is what Rex's relationship with Idzik is and how much influence he has over personnel.

My guess is Idzik wanted Tavon at 9 and Rex vetted the defensive linemen available and pushed for Sheldon at 13.

He's 0-2 in AFCC games. 0-0 in Superbowls.

He's an inconsistent poop of a coach... hell you can't even count on Rex to beat the buffet consistently anymore.

lmfao - you've been terrible lately.

Most coaches dont even have a record for their respective championship games because they've never been!

Most coaches dont even have a record for their respective championship games because they've never been!

Reading between the lines here... you are saying that Rex has peaked, but you'll root for him to stay here and waste as many seasons as he wants because the players like him.

Marty Mornhinweg coaches a cave man offense?  The guy will put it up if he has any chance of success.  He did it yesterday and the first Buffalo game.  The idea that it is all on Rex seems a bit  much at this point.  Mornhinweg is pass happy, that is just impossible with this team.  They have resources to add some offense next year.  They have to no matter who ends up coach. 

Most of us assumed they would add people on offense this offseason, so you never know.   I think we will see how things go the rest of the way.  If they play like they did yesterday (win or lose)  it's a sign of progression.  If they regress back to the way they've played for most of the season besides a couple of games, who knows where they stand for next year.  

They've all had their input. What we don't know at this point is what Rex's relationship with Idzik is and how much influence he has over personnel.

My guess is Idzik wanted Tavon at 9 and Rex vetted the defensive linemen available and pushed for Sheldon at 13.

It would certainly be interesting if Idzik knew from day 1 that Rex was a dead man walking but he went ahead and turned over his first draft to Rex. 

That would totally make me feel great about Idzik's future here.

Only four Jets coaches have made it to the AFL/AFC Championship game, and only one has made it twice.

It would certainly be interesting if Idzik knew from day 1 that Rex was a dead man walking but he went ahead and turned over his first draft to Rex.

Just saying they target guys at certain points of the draft and everyone involved has "their guy" Milliner fell so they went BPA with Austin gone. If I were to guess Rex sold everyone on Sheldon.

Rex isn't changing his spots though. The guy is going to ask for defense every April. He's not scouting WR's. To me Rex is way more obsessed about his legacy as a defensive coach than HC. Come draft time he has no use for new toys e can't play with(offense).

Luckily the Ravens took Jimmy Smith because the Jets would have taken him over Wilkerson as Rex was in love with him and they were hesitant about MO.

So, the coach that put together three seasons like Rex has put together and kept his job. Go on.

Here you go man, this coach has gotten 2 contract extensions, and here is his career record including this year.

Won Lost Ties Win % Finish Won Lost Win % Result

CIN 2003 8 8 0 .500 2nd in AFC North - - - -

CIN 2004 8 8 0 .500 3rd in AFC North - - - -

CIN 2005 11 5 0 .688 1st in AFC North 0 1 .000 Lost to Pittsburgh Steelers in AFC Wild-Card Game.

CIN 2006 8 8 0 .500 2nd in AFC North - - - -

CIN 2007 7 9 0 .438 3rd in AFC North - - - -

CIN 2008 4 11 1 .281 3rd in AFC North - - - -

CIN 2009 10 6 0 .625 1st in AFC North 0 1 .000 Lost to New York Jets in AFC Wild-Card Game.

CIN 2010 4 12 0 .250 4th in AFC North - - - -

CIN 2011 9 7 0 .563 3rd in AFC North 0 1 .000 Lost to Houston Texans in AFC Wild-Card Game.

CIN 2012 10 6 0 .625 2nd in AFC North 0 1 .000 Lost to Houston Texans in AFC Wild-Card Game.

CIN 2013 9 4 0 .692 AFC North - - - -

CIN Total 88 84 1 .512 0 4 .000

How does that 2006-2008 3 year record look?

How about the 5 year 2006-2010 record look?

Yet he kept his job, got some offensive talent, and now is on his way to a 3rd straight playoff appearance!

I don't care who disagrees with me either, but I think Rex Ryan is a better coach than Marvin Lewis, he took Lewis out to the wood shed with a rookie QB 2 straight weeks, and the 2nd in Cincy for a playoff victory!

Reading between the lines here... you are saying that Rex has peaked, but you'll root for him to stay here and waste as many seasons as he wants because the players like him.

Never said that but referencing his record in championship games as a negative when most coaches never get their team to that point, seems silly.

I'm on record that I favor any decision that finally gets this team a QB or at the very least, a functioning offense that doesnt lose you games.  If that could happen with Rex here, that would be my preference as I believe he's a great HC.  If Idzik feels that means firing Rex, cool, lets do it.  Unfortunately, its not that easy but hey, its out of my control.  I just watch the games and talk about the Jets with morons like you.

I think Rex can do a better job coaching a team without a big time QB than most other coaches in the league.

But IMO that is not the issue.

The real issue is can Rex develop a QB??

I know you are in the camp of a QB is either good or bad, period, but I vehemently disagree with that for 90% of the QB's who are "NFL caliber".

About 2%, maybe less, are just awesome and will thrive no matter what.

About 8% will suck no matter what.

The rest can end up being anywhere from complete crap to HOF'ers based on development.

Most of us agree that the league is all about the QB, and unless you have a franchise QB your not going to win big.

So the real question that I hope the organization asks itself, can Rex develop a QB?? Or at the very least can he hire someone who can?

I have not seen any reason at all to believe he can, in fact I have seen all the reason to believe he cannot.

Hopefully Idzik will base his decision on that more than anything, and can get to the bottom of the answer.

You need to stop.

This myth that Rex is somehow intimately involved in nurturing the QB is hogwash.  Rex develops the QB about as much as Sean Payton develops the d-lineman and lb's.  The vast majority of NFL head coaches have a side of the ball they are more familiar and involved with. 

Rex understands developing QB's isn't his strong suit which is why he hired one the better QB coaches in David Lee (a Parcells recommendation), as well as a guy who has a sustained track record for working with excellent QB's in MM. 

There is zero evidence to support this claim that an offensive minded HC would have a record better than 6-7.  Mike Smith, Shannahan, and Leslie Frasier all coached in the playoffs last year.  They also all have worse records than Rex.

Here you go man, this coach has gotten 2 contract extensions, and here is his career record including this year.

CIN 2005 11 5 0 .688 1st in AFC North 0 1 .000 Lost to Pittsburgh Steelers in AFC Wild-Card Game.

CIN 2009 10 6 0 .625 1st in AFC North 0 1 .000 Lost to New York Jets in AFC Wild-Card Game.

CIN 2011 9 7 0 .563 3rd in AFC North 0 1 .000 Lost to Houston Texans in AFC Wild-Card Game.

CIN 2012 10 6 0 .625 2nd in AFC North 0 1 .000 Lost to Houston Texans in AFC Wild-Card Game.

Yet he kept his job, got some offensive talent, and now is on his way to a 3rd straight playoff appearance!

I don't care who disagrees with me either, but I think Rex Ryan is a better coach than Marvin Lewis, he took Lewis out to the wood shed with a rookie QB 2 straight weeks, and the 2nd in Cincy for a playoff victory!

Marvin is Also 0-4 in playoffs.

Rex 4-2 with possibly the 2nd worst QB to win a playoff game (Tim Tebow is my #1).

Not to mention he might have as many wins in his career in Cincy as number of arrests his players accumulated since Lewis took over.

That would make no sense at all.    I think Geno was Idziks guy or he thought it would be an easy no pressure move to make.  Rex is a Sanchez guy till his death it seems. The only reason Geno is playing is Sanchez got injured.    And that injury was caused because Rex wanted to make Sanchez look good against 3rd and 4th stringers.    It backfired, but injuries happen, dumb luck I guess.  

I think the first round was Rex. It had to be.  Two defensive players,  a CB, no less after you just traded Revis.    One guy turned out to be great, and I'm glad they picked him, but it wasn't a big weakness on the Jets.   The team has had problems on offense for years and they continue to ignore that side of the ball for some reason.   That is a Rex thing, but again,  if Rex is a goner,  why would Idzik want him making any moves?  

I mean the assumption was the Jets were going to be a terrible team.  And if they wind up 6-10 or 7-9 and look bad in the losses like they have most of this season, Rex is a goner.  Why would you let a guy who had a 30 percent chance of staying anyway make any decisions about players?    That's the part thats hard to understand.  And honestly Idzik probably wants his own guy.  Most GMs want to hand pick their guys.  Rex was forced upon him.

Just saying they target guys at certain points of the draft and everyone involved has "their guy" Milliner fell so they went BPA with Austin gone. If I were to guess Rex sold everyone on Sheldon.

Rex isn't changing his spots though. The guy is going to ask for defense every April. He's not scouting WR's. To me Rex is way more obsessed about his legacy as a defensive coach than HC. Come draft time he has no use for new toys e can't play with(offense).

Luckily the Ravens took Jimmy Smith because the Jets would have taken him over Wilkerson as Rex was in love with him and they were hesitant about MO.

If Rex is here next year, Idzik needs to do the following:

1.  Sign or trade for legitimate, starting-caliber veteran QB.  Geno relegated to "Sit and learn" duties.

2.  Surround veteran QB with new faces at every component of the offense.

3.  Tell Rex to coach what he's given on the defensive side of the ball.  We should have enough resources to improve the secondary on top of all the picks/signings we make on the offensive side of the ball.

We're not getting a Bridgewater and handing Rex another rookie QB is foolish.  We should only be making a move for a 2014 QB prospect if we're bringing in a new offense-minded HC to help make that decision.

If Rex fails with this roster, we move on from him and draft Jameis Winston in 2015.  Win-win.

If Rex is here next year, Idzik needs to do the following:

1. Sign or trade for legitimate, starting-caliber veteran QB.

2. Surround veteran QB with new faces at every component of the offense.

3. Tell Rex to coach what he's given on the defensive side of the ball.

If Rex fails with this roster, we draft Jameis Winston in 2015. Win-win.

This is also dependent on the new scouts, Graves and Idzik having the ability to scout and evaluate offense.

The Jets history of drafting offense has been terrible. Hopefully they can change that.

It's easy to look at w-l and forget about the context.    Do you even realize how bad the bengals were when he took over?   The Bengals were a running joke in the NFL.    They were like the Raiders are now.   It was something like what, 12 years since they even had a winning record at that point, much less playoffs.  So Marvin Lewis takes over  a team in 2003 who didn't finish above .500 since 1990.   A team who hadn't made the playoffs since 1990.    Think about that for a moment.  

Rex Ryan took over a team that was 9-7 and choked down the stretch due to Favre being injured and Mangini not being a very good coach. They were also a team who seemed to make the playoffs every other year at that point.  

Rex took over a 9-7 team who had some young talent and essentially drove them to the ground in a few years.   Marvin Lewis took over a running joke of a franchise who hadn't even finished .500 for like 13 years and turned them into a team who competes for division titles and playoff births year in and year out. 

Maybe he chokes in the playoffs or big games, who knows,  but I'd take Carson Palmer and Andy Dalton and the WRs they've had over the years compared to anything the Jets have on offense.   Under Rex the Jets offense sucks.   And his defense isn't anything to brag about this year either.    

Sometimes you need to be more than just a good DC as a HC in the NFL.

This is the type of stuff thats meaningless to speculate IMO.  I mean, have it.  I just dont get involved.  Nobody on this board knows the extent of anything you're claiming here. 

FWIW - I have a hard time buying that last claim with Revis, Cro and Wilson all on the team when they took MO and were desperate for DE...but thats my point and why I dont get involved with this type of speculation.  What I do know is, Mo was the #1 guy I wanted in that draft.  Maybe a career change is in order? 

It's easy to look at w-l and forget about the context.    Do you even realize how bad the bengals were when he took over?   The Bengals were a running joke in the NFL.    They were like the Raiders are now.   It was something like what, 12 years since they even had a winning record at that point, much less playoffs.  So Marvin Lewis takes over  a team in 2003 who didn't finish above .500 since 1990.   A team who hadn't made the playoffs since 1990.    Think about that for a moment.  

Rex Ryan took over a team that was 9-7 and choked down the stretch due to Favre being injured and Mangini not being a very good coach. They were also a team who seemed to make the playoffs every other year at that point.  

Rex took over a 9-7 team who had some young talent and essentially drove them to the ground in a few years.   Marvin Lewis took over a running joke of a franchise who hadn't even finished .500 for like 13 years and turned them into a team who competes for division titles and playoff births year in and year out. 

Maybe he chokes in the playoffs or big games, who knows,  but I'd take Carson Palmer and Andy Dalton and the WRs they've had over the years compared to anything the Jets have on offense.   Under Rex the Jets offense sucks.   And his defense isn't anything to brag about this year either.    

Sometimes you need to be more than just a good DC as a HC in the NFL.

Give Rex a pre knee injury Carson Palmer, and the WR's he had, PLEASE!

Give Rex a half decent QB in Dalton with AJ Green, Gresham, Eifert, Jones, Sanu, Gio Benard, and one of the best O-lines in football PLEASE!

No instead Rex got Mark Sanchez, and Geno Smith, so lets take him out to the wood shed! I still don't get this whole the players on offense the Jets have is Rex's doing from so of you people, you think Marvin Lewis hand picked Andy Dalton? Please, he didn't even know who Andy Dalton was more than likely until that day.

So.....Idzik's best draft choice was a guy Rex had to talk him into selecting?

Interesting.

I think Rex can do a better job coaching a team without a big time QB than most other coaches in the league.

But IMO that is not the issue.

The real issue is can Rex develop a QB??

I know you are in the camp of a QB is either good or bad, period, but I vehemently disagree with that for 90% of the QB's who are "NFL caliber".

About 2%, maybe less, are just awesome and will thrive no matter what.

About 8% will suck no matter what.

The rest can end up being anywhere from complete crap to HOF'ers based on development.

Most of us agree that the league is all about the QB, and unless you have a franchise QB your not going to win big.

So the real question that I hope the organization asks itself, can Rex develop a QB?? Or at the very least can he hire someone who can?

I have not seen any reason at all to believe he can, in fact I have seen all the reason to believe he cannot.

Hopefully Idzik will base his decision on that more than anything, and can get to the bottom of the answer.

I look at the names of the QBs on the Jets rosters from 2009-2013 and don't see greatness but for the crappy developing skills of Rex Ryan.  Sanchez was overdrafted and undertalented and is an immature goofball.  Simms has a strong arm.  McElroy had no arm.  Tebow had nothing.  Then there's also Kellen Clemens (fine job he's doing with the Rams, 7 years into his NFL career) and Mark Brunell.  And now we have Geno Smith, totally unready for a starting NFL job, performing just like someone who was unready for an NFL starting job (with some good flashes here & there in between his horribleness, because he does have some talent from the neck down).

The pool of QBs he's had access to does not bode well for a definitive position that a QB cannot develop with Ryan as HC.  With the exception of Sanchez, who some people for some reason still believe had some potential to be a good NFL starter, it's not like there has been a pool of great, NFL-ready talent that only fizzled under Ryan's leadership.

That would make no sense at all.    I think Geno was Idziks guy or he thought it would be an easy no pressure move to make.  Rex is a Sanchez guy till his death it seems. The only reason Geno is playing is Sanchez got injured.    And that injury was caused because Rex wanted to make Sanchez look good against 3rd and 4th stringers.    It backfired, but injuries happen, dumb luck I guess.  

I think the first round was Rex. It had to be.  Two defensive players,  a CB, no less after you just traded Revis.    One guy turned out to be great, and I'm glad they picked him, but it wasn't a big weakness on the Jets.   The team has had problems on offense for years and they continue to ignore that side of the ball for some reason.   That is a Rex thing, but again,  if Rex is a goner,  why would Idzik want him making any moves?  

I mean the assumption was the Jets were going to be a terrible team.  And if they wind up 6-10 or 7-9 and look bad in the losses like they have most of this season, Rex is a goner.  Why would you let a guy who had a 30 percent chance of staying anyway make any decisions about players?    That's the part thats hard to understand.  And honestly Idzik probably wants his own guy.  Most GMs want to hand pick their guys.  Rex was forced upon him.

I'm on record, and still believe Sheldon Richardson was all Idzik, the pick made perfect sense because of the 3 elite DT's available that were all graded equally Sheldon Richardson was the only one who could play either a 3-4, or 4-3, and not skip a beat in production, so he choose him in case he does fire Rex, and the new coach runs a 4-3 Richardson fits either system, and was the BAP on Idzik's board as was Milliner (unfortunately), and Geno Smith (but I still think Geno was all Woody trying to grab the headlines again at QB he is so infatuated with this, and in all his attempts he has yet to find one that is actually any good, or under the age of 40)!

Archived