NOT BUYING THE HYPE

CobraVerde

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Me too but i think that the only chance of that to happen, it would mean the new HC was another defensive minded guy. Which i am against. I think we have a better chance of winning with a new offensive minded HC or is there such a thing as a complete HC? Both O and D oriented?

I don't think great head coaches just fall off trees.  If we hire him for another Herm (dope) type, or another Mangini (hey, he was a coordinator for Belichick for a season!) type, it will hurt the team more in the long run than retaining Rex for one more season to his contract's natural end.  If we can upgrade, I'm in favor of an upgrade.  I don't have anyone in mind.

That's right. I think he was in there and had no power.  Or certainly, that he had no power this year.  He's in there because he's the HC and every HC is in every war room (as are the coordinators).

Rex wasn't a guy Idzik knew, worked with, or as far as we know that he even respected.  Rex is the guy Idzik had to agree to keep on if he wanted the job.  The idea that Rex liked a certain CB but Idzik picked Milliner instead (based on his own assessment or on that of the inherited scouts), but then Rex was the driving force behind Richardson, is the reach.

Can you name a team whose head coach is absent from their war room? I can't.  Doesn't mean the HC's input is valued.  Rex also clearly didn't want Stephen Hill, yet Hill was not only drafted but we burned another pick to trade up to get him.  All against Rex's wishes.

I don't hate Rex nearly like others do, and even I don't believe that Rex should be told a blessed thing unless it's a Machiavellian attempt to get another team to take a player the GM secretly doesn't covet.  Rex has too big of a mouth to let him into the inner circle of thought. Two years in a row he blabbed to exactly one player that we were going to draft him with our first pick, and two times that player was taken 1 pick ahead of us by some major coincidence.

When evaluating defensive talent in last years draft if Idzik didn't even ask, or seek Rex's opinion on each players on the Jets board (not to give Rex a say in the draft picks) then he should be fired yesterday, Rex is considered to know a thing, or 2, about a thing, or 2 when it comes to defense even his biggest haters will admit this, and if he is sitting next to you, and at your disposal for an opinion on every defensive player he was able to get a good look at, you use that info!

When evaluating defensive talent in last years draft if Idzik didn't even ask, or seek Rex's opinion on each players on the Jets board (not to give Rex a say in the draft picks) then he should be fired yesterday, Rex is considered to know a thing, or 2, about a thing, or 2 when it comes to defense even his biggest haters will admit this, and if he is sitting next to you, and at your disposal for an opinion on every defensive player he was able to get a good look at, you use that info!

The narrative being pushed is that even though the supposed rumor was Rex wanted no part of Milliner and instead wanted the other kid Oakland took 3 picks later, that Idzik ignored him regarding Milliner but let him rule the room (because he's the loudest) with Richardson? I'm not buying that.  

Now, that doesn't mean his opinion wasn't listened to or even weighed.  If Rex is there during a team workout and he has something to say about the way a kid did or didn't perform doing this or that, of course they'll hear what he has to say. What it means is I don't think Rex got to make the pick or that Rex has ruled our drafts this year or in any year prior.  If we pick a player on defense it's because Rex is running the whole organization.  If we take an offensive player it's glossed over as though the pick never happened.  This silliness that his being loud is somehow going to influence who we pick is just the biggest reach of all (no offense, Matt).  These guys are professionals - even if some are bad professionals.  They're not going to forgo on a guy they want in favor of someone else because Rex is more brash and has a louder voice than the suit-wearing GM.

I don't think great head coaches just fall off trees. If we hire him for another Herm (dope) type, or another Mangini (hey, he was a coordinator for Belichick for a season!) type, it will hurt the team more in the long run than retaining Rex for one more season to his contract's natural end. If we can upgrade, I'm in favor of an upgrade. I don't have anyone in mind.

This sucks. You guys follow football all your lifes and have no favourite HC:s? Not a few guys with remarcable records in college football as HC:s? I love the game but am a rookie and have a background in soccer. Yeah i know your thoughts of soccer.. But there i know exactly what i look for in a coach. Both sports are changing all the time, trends, rules in your case, etc. And in soccer there are veterans who adapt or young guys in lower divisions who are very interesting. This is just depressing. What am i supposed to do to learn more, can't follow college ball, Google it?

Kubiak, Fox, Reid, Coughlin, Kelly, Shanahan, Trestman, Harbaugh The Younger.

I'd like to see you elaborate but that wouldnt jive with your new style of posting.

The only ones in this list that I can agree with hands down are Coughlin and Reid.

Not sure who Kubiak, Kelly or Trestman have idenfitifed and/or developed.

Fox?  No clue where you're going with this....Delhomme?  Clausen? Weinke?  lulza

Shannahan, meh.  He's currently ruining RG3 but ok, I'll give you him with turning around Jake the Snake for a season and findng Cutler.

Harbaugh.  Nice job with Alex Smith by hiding him.  Kapernick is overrated.  But ok. 

Not the greatest list but thanks for the effort.

This sucks. You guys follow football all your lifes and have no favourite HC:s? Not a few guys with remarcable records in college football as HC:s? I love the game but am a rookie and have a background in soccer. Yeah i know your thoughts of soccer.. But there i know exactly what i look for in a coach. Both sports are changing all the time, trends, rules in your case, etc. And in soccer there are veterans who adapt or young guys in lower divisions who are very interesting. This is just depressing. What am i supposed to do to learn more, can't follow college ball, Google it?

Don't worry about it.  Your avatar rocks, that's all that matters

I'd like to see you elaborate but that wouldnt jive with your new style of posting.

...ok?

Not sure who Kubiak, Kelly or Trestman have idenfitifed and/or developed.

Kubiak won a playoff game with T.J. Yates. Kelly has Nick Foles playing like an MVP candidate. Trestman is getting more out of Josh McCown than this franchise has gotten out of its QBs in a decade.

Fox? No clue where you're going with this....Delhomme? Clausen? Weinke? lulza

Yes, Delhomme; i.e., the undrafted guy who went to a Super Bowl. He also won a division title and a playoff game with Tim Tebow.

Shannahan, meh. He's currently ruining RG3 but ok, I'll give you him with turning around Jake the Snake for a season and findng Cutler.

Thanks!

Harbaugh. Nice job with Alex Smith by hiding him. Kapernick is overrated. But ok.

Not the greatest list but thanks for the effort.

You're more than welcome.

Sexual deviant

Too specific.

I have played plenty, and the good players are good.  You know who's good and who's a faker and which guys are playing above their abilities and which are slacking. Sanchez was not talented enough to be a top passer. He cannot thread the needle and all of Rex's defensive-minded coaching didn't do anything to cause it.  His receivers aren't as open as they were at USC and those passes 2 yards off the mark, that were TDs in college, are batted down or picked off in the NFL.

If he is so emotionally retarded that he gets permanently ruined by being thrown in there for 30 pass attempts, 15x in a year, after throwing countless thousands in practice, then he was never going to be good.  The only exception is if he sustains an injury that prevents him from being something he (genetically) once was.  Possibly if someone has been concussed into oblivion like Carr.  Neither of those were the case with Sanchez, and so far is not the case with Geno.  If you seriously think Sanchez was just tossed out there with no coaching that is on you.  It is a fantasy that four years of coaching couldn't get him to stop staring down his receivers, or throw a ball more accurately, or hold onto the football, because the coaching was bad.  When you go around the league and start pointing to all the other sucky QBs - which is most QBs - who were all ruined by someone other than Rex Ryan, then I'll start paying attention. 

It is an unprovable theory that a QB is permanently ruined by a rough first year (or years).  There is no control group whereby his identical twin thrives at the same position in a different environment.  You wish it to be so because it provides an easy scapegoat for the target of your ire, but that doesn't make it so.  Sanchez sucked.  McElroy sucked.  Clemens sucked.  Tebow sucked.  And so far, for the most part, Geno has sucked (though it's only his rookie season).  Oh yeah, and Simms sucks also.  Who else was there? A month of Brady Quinn? The only one on any Rex roster who might not have sucked (at the time he was on the Ryan Jets) is probably David Garrard, sadly.

I think that Mornhinweg has taken "development" into consideration this season.  MM is well known for throwing Foles to the wolves and it certainly does not seem to be to Foles detriment.  With Geno, MM seemed to let him keep throwing until Geno seemed to lose his spirit/confidence.  Then this week against a weak D he had him keep throwing to get his confidence back despite a run where it looked like he was trying to throw INTs.  When the team was up and could have sat on the lead they still seemed to throw a bit, which kept/raised his confidence. 

...ok?

Kubiak won a playoff game with T.J. Yates. Kelly has Nick Foles playing like an MVP candidate. Trestman is getting more out of Josh McCown than this franchise has gotten out of its QBs in a decade.

Yes, Delhomme; i.e., the undrafted guy who went to a Super Bowl. He also won a division title and a playoff game with Tim Tebow.

Thanks!

Rex won 4 playoff games with Mark Sanchez.  He must be great at developing QB's.

I can't believe JiF disagreed with a post that contradicts one of his weird contrarian views that he'll eventually claim he never had.

Just talking Football bro.  You know, why we are here.

The narrative being pushed is that even though the supposed rumor was Rex wanted no part of Milliner and instead wanted the other kid Oakland took 3 picks later, that Idzik ignored him regarding Milliner but let him rule the room (because he's the loudest) with Richardson? I'm not buying that.  

Now, that doesn't mean his opinion wasn't listened to or even weighed.  If Rex is there during a team workout and he has something to say about the way a kid did or didn't perform doing this or that, of course they'll hear what he has to say. What it means is I don't think Rex got to make the pick or that Rex has ruled our drafts this year or in any year prior.  If we pick a player on defense it's because Rex is running the whole organization.  If we take an offensive player it's glossed over as though the pick never happened.  This silliness that his being loud is somehow going to influence who we pick is just the biggest reach of all (no offense, Matt).  These guys are professionals - even if some are bad professionals.  They're not going to forgo on a guy they want in favor of someone else because Rex is more brash and has a louder voice than the suit-wearing GM.

I know I agree with you, I was just using your post as an example of yes Rex was utilized, but no his say in final decision on picks was not utilized. I am also in the minority, and think the Richardson pick was NOT a Ryan pick, that was Idzik all the way because IMO he was the 1 of the 3 DT's ranked equally that fit any defensive system if Idzik brought in a new coach next year who wanted to run a 4-3 D Richardson would transition without a hiccup, at least that's what I am assuming Idzik was thinking by making Richardson the BPA at that pick, and actually taking him over 2 guys who were thought to be graded a little higher at the DT position. Idzik wants athletes, speed, and size preferred IMO, and Sheldon also graded out very high in both.

The argument has zero to do with anyone having a better record with this team, I don't think anyone else would.

Oh Parcells recommended him, completely changes my mind. Contract extension for Rex!

MM sat behind Reid and did zilch on his own when he had the chance, he is better than Sporano , but I think I am and I am a defensive guy.

Rex has given me zero confidence that he can ever identify or develop a QB, or even find someone who actually can.

I'm going to start a new drinking game.

Every time you (or anyone now, I like to drink) use(s) the exaggerated statement "Contract extension for Rex!" to get across your opinion/point everyone drinks, the more posts you make the more I drink, get typing can't wait! I'll start Contract Extension for Rex! Drink!

Too specific.

I think that Mornhinweg has taken "development" into consideration this season.  MM is well known for throwing Foles to the wolves and it certainly does not seem to be to Foles detriment.  With Geno, MM seemed to let him keep throwing until Geno seemed to lose his spirit/confidence.  Then this week against a weak D he had him keep throwing to get his confidence back despite a run where it looked like he was trying to throw INTs.  When the team was up and could have sat on the lead they still seemed to throw a bit, which kept/raised his confidence.

I specifically remember MM, and Andy Reid having the most conservative game plan of the year last year in Foles' 1st start against the Redskins, it's one thing for a kid that a team did not prepare for to come in slinging it with no pressure, and it's another when he is actually starting for the 1st time, and the opposition knew he was starting, and prepared for him all week.

I'm going to start a new drinking game.

Every time you (or anyone now, I like to drink) use(s) the exaggerated statement "Contract extension for Rex!" to get across your opinion/point everyone drinks, the more posts you make the more I drink, get typing can't wait! I'll start Contract Extension for Rex! Drink!

Can you fall it the Jacked4JetsFB drinking game?

I have played plenty, and the good players are good. You know who's good and who's a faker and which guys are playing above their abilities and which are slacking. Sanchez was not talented enough to be a top passer. He cannot thread the needle and all of Rex's defensive-minded coaching didn't do anything to cause it. His receivers aren't as open as they were at USC and those passes 2 yards off the mark, that were TDs in college, are batted down or picked off in the NFL.

If he is so emotionally retarded that he gets permanently ruined by being thrown in there for 30 pass attempts, 15x in a year, after throwing countless thousands in practice, then he was never going to be good. The only exception is if he sustains an injury that prevents him from being something he (genetically) once was. Possibly if someone has been concussed into oblivion like Carr. Neither of those were the case with Sanchez, and so far is not the case with Geno. If you seriously think Sanchez was just tossed out there with no coaching that is on you. It is a fantasy that four years of coaching couldn't get him to stop staring down his receivers, or throw a ball more accurately, or hold onto the football, because the coaching was bad. When you go around the league and start pointing to all the other sucky QBs - which is most QBs - who were all ruined by someone other than Rex Ryan, then I'll start paying attention.

It is an unprovable theory that a QB is permanently ruined by a rough first year (or years). There is no control group whereby his identical twin thrives at the same position in a different environment. You wish it to be so because it provides an easy scapegoat for the target of your ire, but that doesn't make it so. Sanchez sucked. McElroy sucked. Clemens sucked. Tebow sucked. And so far, for the most part, Geno has sucked (though it's only his rookie season). Oh yeah, and Simms sucks also. Who else was there? A month of Brady Quinn? The only one on any Rex roster who might not have sucked (at the time he was on the Ryan Jets) is probably David Garrard, sadly.

I would like to see Sanchez lose his package in a deep sea fishing accident as much as the next guy, but Sanche played as well in the post season as Rex coached.

2011 saw regression, 2012 spelled the end.

Rex did not want other options, if you can't see that, that's on you. He loved Sanchez, must be hard to face the reality that a coach you love so much loved the QB you hate so much.

Bring on some rationalization .

So, no examples?

No, there are no guys in the NFL that have developed good QBs.

I looked and found zero.

All of the good QBs came from the QB lottery and needed no development.

So with your help, I have come to realize that Rex in fact does give us our best chance to develop a QB as long as he plays the magical QB pick 6, but none of that quick pick crap.

...ok?

Thanks!

This was pretty good synopsis, Thank you.

Rex did not want other options, if you can't see that, that's on you. He loved Sanchez, must be hard to face the reality that a coach you love so much loved the QB you hate so much.

So when Rex benched Sanchez for McElroy, he was happy with that option? Or he was sad about benching him? Or both?

This would be an easier conclusion to come to if he ever had a QB better than Sanchez to work with.

So when Rex benched Sanchez for McElroy, he was happy with that option? Or he was sad about benching him? Or both?

This would be an easier conclusion to come to if he ever had a QB better than Sanchez to work with.

Not sure your point.

If Rex wanted another QB option he would have gotten it , to think otherwise is blind Rex love.

He didn't want one.

Your talking about the end of season four of the Sanchez era, there was a lot if time before that.

Not sure your point.

If Rex wanted another QB option he would have gotten it , to think otherwise is blind Rex love.

He didn't want one.

Your talking about the end of season four of the Sanchez era, there was a lot if time before that.

Sanchez QB'd the team to back to back AFC Championship Games in his first two seasons. It was perfectly reasonable to think he'd progress from there - and that seemed to be the position the entire franchise took at the time. In his third year, Sanchez sh*t the bed, and a potential replacement needed to be found. Mike Tannenbaum saw the void, and traded for Tim Tebow. True story.

In that year, Rex bypassed Tebow and benched Sanchez for Greg McElroy. He clearly wanted a better option at that time, and didn't have one. This year, John Idzik didn't do him any favors at the position, either.

Sanchez QB'd the team to back to back AFC Championship Games in his first two seasons. It was perfectly reasonable to think he'd progress from there - and that seemed to be the position the entire franchise took at the time. In his third year, Sanchez sh*t the bed, and a potential replacement needed to be found. Mike Tannenbaum saw the void, and traded for Tim Tebow. True story.

In that year, Rex bypassed Tebow and benched Sanchez for Greg McElroy. He clearly wanted a better option at that time, and didn't have one. This year, John Idzik didn't do him any favors at the position, either.

Lol.

*Edit*

See ^^^^ this guy had no response after a full day of arguing, just a lol!

This post should be highlighted on the front page for the fire Rex because he can't develop QB's crowd!

Archived