Top 10 Draft Order - and we ain't in it

Lizard King

dont worry man we still have another 2 games to lose :happy0069:

Exactly, and we got more help last night by Pittsburgh winning. This weeks game with Cleveland is "huge" for draft position possibilities. The Rams (via Wash) and Atlants are certainly NOT taking QB's. The Vikes, Titans and the Bills (especially) could all "catch" the Jets.

If things fall right, we could easily make it to picking in the 6-8 range, and then with all our picks, easily make a deal to move up and get that QB we want.

This next game with Cleveland is the key for  6-10 season and a top 6 to 8 pick. Keep the faith.

13. and even if they lose out they probably can't crack the top 10 

In all honesty, we're probably better off picking in the teens, if only because our history of picks in the top ten are horrendous.

Just recent top ten picks off the top of my head:

- DRob

- Gholston

- Sanchez

- Brick

- Milliner

That's a whole lot of fail right there (with the exception of Brick).  Go back further and it gets worse.

Meanwhile our recent picks in the teens:

- John Abraham

- Shaun Ellis

- Chad Pennington

- Santana Moss

- Jonathan Vilma

- Darrell Revis

- Quinton Coples

- Sheldon Richardson

Not a bust in there.  

In all honesty, we're probably better off picking in the teens, if only because our history of picks in the top ten are horrendous.

- DRob

- Gholston

- Sanchez

- Brick

- Milliner

That's a whole lot of fail right there (with the exception of Brick).  Go back further and it gets worse.

- John Abraham

- Shaun Ellis

- Chad Pennington

- Santana Moss

- Jonathan Vilma

- Darrell Revis

- Quinton Coples

- Sheldon Richardson

Not a bust in there.  

So, anyone wearing a green tie and using a phone in the shape of a Jet helmet is horrible at drafting super early but great at drafting a little later. Got it.

You forgot Barr

True. I was merely trying to point out that we weren't going to be one of those top 4 or 5 pick teams, so outside of Watkins I'm not seeing much of a difference between picking 9 or 14 for our needs.  Truth be told, and I know you're big on him too, Cooks may be the most explosive WR outside of Watkins in this draft, so I still think we're going to have a very solid selection of players when we're on the clock in both the first and second round.

- DRob

- Gholston

- Sanchez

- Brick

- Milliner

- John Abraham

- Shaun Ellis

- Chad Pennington

- Santana Moss

- Jonathan Vilma

- Darrell Revis

- Quinton Coples

- Sheldon Richardson

Not a bust in there.  

Penningbust

A lot of WR's this year . Benjamin and Greene from FSU could immediately start here. Well basically anyone could but still....losing out on Sammy won't be the end of the world.

Definitely. There's probably about 12 guys coming out right now who could step in and start for us right now. Sammy and Cooks are the two guys who I watch that explode off the screen. I've seen a lot of Evans and while he's got that basketball Jimmy Graham thing going for him, I'm still leery about whether he can bring it to the next level.  Either way, between the WRs and Amaro/Ebron/ASJ, there's going to be someone to bring in who can immediately start to contribute.

Definitely. There's probably about 12 guys coming out right now who could step in and start for us right now. Sammy and Cooks are the two guys who I watch that explode off the screen. I've seen a lot of Evans and while he's got that basketball Jimmy Graham thing going for him, I'm still leery about whether he can bring it to the next level. Either way, between the WRs and Amaro/Ebron/ASJ, there's going to be someone to bring in who can immediately start to contribute.

Yep. I love love Evans but is he Mike Williams??

6 out of those 10 teams desperately need a QB.

Definitely a problem. That is why I am hoping that a couple of those teams "leap frog" the Jets to behind them and then the cost of moving up one or 2 spots wont be as extravagantly high as if we needed to move many spots.

If we finish 6-10, we are golden, 7-9 and we will have to pay a bit for moving, and 8-8 and we are toast. That is why this upcoming Cleveland game is so big to BOTH teams.

Which is the "bigger" draw for the game?

1. Draft Position

2. Weeden vs. Smith (Scintillating)

3. Cementing Rex's fate on Black Monday

The REAL problem is that there isn't a franchise QB in this draft. Marcus Mariota was about the closest thing to one, but he is going back to Oregon, who are arguably better than the Jets. WR is THE priority for the Jets, no matter which one of our turnover prone, underachieving QB's they trot out there. OL would be next and DB's next. Of course, if Rex comes back we'll draft another DL with the first pick and make him another slow LB. Then he'll take a DB who can't cover anyone and makes up for it by not tackling well.

Screen-Shot-2013-12-16-at-9.30.24-AM.png

So for all the heartbreak, the missed wildcard (which we at one point controlled), the "over achievement" of the crappy roster, guess what....we have 5,000 draft picks and we still aren't in the top 10. Hope our new GM and scouting department are good.

I'm really sorry that the Jets aren't one of the 10 worst teams in the league. Boo hoo.

:(

I'm really sorry that the Jets aren't one of the 10 worst teams in the league. Boo hoo.

:(

The Jets are better than the Texans and Raiders and Jags, but other than that they aren't exactly better than the other teams.  

And Atlanta and Houston have been surprise busts.   Both teams could make some nice offseason moves and wind up back in the thick of things next season. The Bucs were supposed to be playoff contenders and just sucked.     The Vikings have no QB,but still have AP.   

If the Jets don't find some talent on offense, Geno is still starting, and Rex is still here,  it's going to be another one of those "Oh wow we were better than we expected, but still wound up 7-9."   There is no improvement in struggling to get to 8 wins every year.    Great, they aren't the worse team in the NFL, but this franchise has won how many division titles in 30+ years?    It's kind of depressing.       

I mean I'd rather they were the Panthers a few seasons back and actually improve.   Being 8-8 or fighting to be 8-8 and luck into the playoffs year in and year out is depressing.  It's just a tease and every few years they 'rebuild' but never really rebuild.   

True. I was merely trying to point out that we weren't going to be one of those top 4 or 5 pick teams, so outside of Watkins I'm not seeing much of a difference between picking 9 or 14 for our needs.  Truth be told, and I know you're big on him too, Cooks may be the most explosive WR outside of Watkins in this draft, so I still think we're going to have a very solid selection of players when we're on the clock in both the first and second round.

Yes Cooks in the 2nd would make me smile! Pair him up with Manziel/Bortles, and Dri Archer, hopefully one offensive piece in free agency, (maybe J Maclin if MM is still here) and you got yourself a nice start on an offensive rebuild.

The REAL problem is that there isn't a franchise QB in this draft. Marcus Mariota was about the closest thing to one, but he is going back to Oregon, who are arguably better than the Jets. WR is THE priority for the Jets, no matter which one of our turnover prone, underachieving QB's they trot out there. OL would be next and DB's next. Of course, if Rex comes back we'll draft another DL with the first pick and make him another slow LB. Then he'll take a DB who can't cover anyone and makes up for it by not tackling well.

Odds are good for at least one or two becoming a franchise QB. Wish is was as easy as already knowing which one. But it's why team GMs make a sh*t load of money, and it's why if they pick wrong, like Tannenbaum, they're out of a job.  Jets have yet to like, ever pick one since the 60's. Hence the zero superbowls since. Gotta hope they finally get it right if they go that route and it's pretty hard to reason that they shouldn't. 

Archived