Can someone name the last good offensive skill player we developed?

NCJETSFAN

Schottenheimer and Sporano sucked, Mornhinweg might not.

I dont think the Offensive numbers so far under Mornhinweg are statistically significantly different from the past 2 coordinators. Does this mean that REX is 0 for 3   OR    3 for 3  when choosing Offensive Coordinators? Hmmmm

I feel like develop(ment) is the buzz word for JN '13 and '14.  

The problem with asking this, is that for the vast majority of our skill position players under Tannenbaum's tenure were not drafted: Kevin Barlow, Thomas Jones, Braylon Edwards, Santonio Holmes etc. Lots of trades, lots of guys late in their career (Favre, Plaxico etc.), not too many high picks on offensive skill position players to really "develop."  Cumberland has come along fairly nicely, Kerley has turned into a solid 3rd/4th WR and it looks like Ivory is what Idzik envisioned when he traded for him: whether you want to chalk that up to "development" or simply being given the opportunity, I'm sure whatever agenda you want to push will decide your view on that. 

The problem centers on both scouting and drafting.  Over the years we drafted several useful pieces on the offensive side (Leon, Brad Smith, Cotch, maybe Coles) but the Jets haven't drafted a dynamic play maker that opponents need to game plan around.  I'd say the last one was Al Toon.

Pretty dismal review here.  http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/nyj/draft.htm

Do not understand how Bradway and any of our scouts (those with any tenure) still have jobs.

How did we "develop" Chad Pennington?  Dude was a b*tch.

Chad Pennington is the best QB we've ever drafted outside of Namath. If  Penny had Geno's arm strength I honestly think we would have atleast made a SB appearance. Penny didn't have the arm strength, but IMO he was one of the smartest Qbs of that generation. The Jets actually developed Chad.

Chad Pennington is the best QB we've ever drafted outside of Namath. If  Penny had Geno's arm strength I honestly think we would have atleast made a SB appearance. Penny didn't have the arm strength, but IMO he was one of the smartest Qbs of that generation. The Jets actually developed Chad.

Ken O'Brien was FAR better than Chad Pennington.  Pennington never beat a top 10 defense, especially when it counted, and you can't prop him up by saying "if only he had arm strength".  He didn't, and couldn't throw a 15-yard out to save his life as a result.  That makes him a bad quarterback.

I feel like develop(ment) is the buzz word for JN '13 and '14.  

The problem with asking this, is that for the vast majority of our skill position players under Tannenbaum's tenure were not drafted: Kevin Barlow, Thomas Jones, Braylon Edwards, Santonio Holmes etc. Lots of trades, lots of guys late in their career (Favre, Plaxico etc.), not too many high picks on offensive skill position players to really "develop."  Cumberland has come along fairly nicely, Kerley has turned into a solid 3rd/4th WR and it looks like Ivory is what Idzik envisioned when he traded for him: whether you want to chalk that up to "development" or simply being given the opportunity, I'm sure whatever agenda you want to push will decide your view on that. 

Ivory is nice, but he's mostly useless in the NFL these days as he never catches a pass.   He's Thomas Jones, just not as good behind a not as good OL.   

Teams need weapons on offense and the Jets just don't have any.   Guys like Cumberland, Ivory, Kerley are nice to haves for depth, but when it comes to contending year in and year out,  they just don't draft or develop guys who can turn games around.   I'm not a huge fan of Josh Gordon and the browns suck and he has his off the field issues, but the guy can make one catch or return one ball and suddenly the entire game is changed.    When you have players like that and a few of them,  things become easier.   The jets never have players like that on offense.   They have guys like Ivory who will get you a hard 70 yards rushing in a game, but not much else. They have a guy like Kerley who will make a nice play now and again, but he's not a 10 reception 100 yard kind of guy.

They've been able to find talent on the defensive side of the ball though.   The problem has been the jets never seem to think much about offense over the years It's always the same Ground and pound concept and win with defense.      

Archived