Rex On His Future

JetNation

NFL: New York Jets-Training CampRex Ryan certainly doesn’t want to speak publicly about his job security.  With a win on Sunday against the Dolphins, the Jets can end the season at .500 (8-8).  It isn’t known if a decision has been made on Rex’s future yet.  He has one season left on his contract and it isn’t ideal to bring back a lame-duck coach.  So the speculation is in full force, should he stay or should he go.  Fans in the next season.

Here is what Rex had to say when he spoke to the media on Tuesday.

On how he stays focused and not look past Miami…

That’s easy. I have a job to do. My job is to give everything I have to this organization. That’s what I do each week, preparation, get these guys ready to play and try and coach my tail off. That’s what all of these coaches do. It’s the players’ jobs to prepare and lay it on the line for us, and I think our guys do that. That’s why I’m proud of these Jets, this Jets team. We know what we get each week from each other. It’s a total commitment thing, from top to bottom. We don’t have the record that we wanted or anything else, but we have the effort, the desire and the determination. We’re going to do whatever we can to scratch out a win this upcoming week.

On if management has discussed his job status with him…

Guys, I think the entire organization is committed on trying to find a way to beat Miami. That’s the commitment that all of us have had to each other. We’re trying, we’re working on Miami. That’s where the focus is, 100 percent of the focus is. There is nothing past Miami. It’s all about getting ready to play Miami.

On reports that he had received word that the team had been looking at replacements for him…

Again guys, I’m not going there. Like I said, my focus is just on this Miami thing. We certainly had a good game against Cleveland. We have Miami left and that’s what I’m comfortable talking about. Any speculation about this or that, the only thing I can say is that we know what is in front of us and that’s a Miami Dolphins team that is a very talented team.

On the perception that he is disgruntled about his current situation…

I’m not disgruntled about anything. I’m excited about the opportunity in front of us which is playing the Dolphins. Obviously, they had a great game against us last time, (it was) a very disappointing loss for us at home. We’re excited about getting the opportunity to play them again and see how we stack up right now against them. Obviously, the last time we played them they were much better than we were. It’s an opportunity for us, that’s why I’m not disgruntled at all. I’m excited about the opportunity right in front of me.

On whether Woody Johnson or John Idzik have approached him about the media reports regarding his comments during Saturday’s team meeting…

Our focus, what we talk about is getting ready to play against the Dolphins. That’s really where the conversations have been. After you play a game, you talk about the game that you just played, what was positive, what was negative (and) how we can improve. Those are the things that you focus on and then right away it gets to the next week’s opponent. That’s where the conversations have been.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well Steve Serby went to bat for Rex in his column this morning, saying he would "pound the table" and demand that Woody intervene and save Rex. Woody can do THAT only if he wants to hire another GM who will accept Rex being forced on him. I see what the media likes about Rex - he is engaging and NOT a BB type, but there are too many things Rex doesn't do well, or well enough, to warrant a change. First of all he has done NOTHING to change the Same Old Jets stereotype. This team STILL cannot stand prosperity or the thought of controlling their own destiny. Whenever they play with no attention paid to them they play well, but when that 'playoff spotlight' hits they lay down like dogs. We saw it in Buffalo and against Miami at home. Then, when they are comfortably OUT of the playoffs, they look like the team they should have been all season. NO MORE REX.

Well Steve Serby went to bat for Rex in his column this morning, saying he would "pound the table" and demand that Woody intervene and

save Rex. Woody can do THAT only if he wants to hire another GM who will accept Rex being forced on him. I see what the media likes about Rex - he is engaging and NOT a BB type, but there are too many things Rex doesn't do well, or well enough, to warrant a change. First of all he has done NOTHING to change the Same Old Jets stereotype. This team STILL cannot stand prosperity or the thought of controlling their own destiny. Whenever they play with no attention paid to them they play well, but when that 'playoff spotlight' hits they lay down like dogs. We saw it in Buffalo and against Miami at home. Then, when they are comfortably OUT of the playoffs, they look like the team they should have been all season. NO MORE REX.

My biggest prob with Rex is he refuses to understand that stopping the run is not the most important thing !! Scoring points is he has zero understanding of the offensive side of the ball and being a HC u have to !

My biggest prob with Rex is he refuses to understand that stopping the run is not the most important thing !! Scoring points is he has zero understanding of the offensive side of the ball and being a HC u have to !

Rex clearly lacks the "helicopter vision" needed to see the entire picture.  This is essential to being an effective Head Coach.

Sorry, but two meaningless games shouldn't be the deciding factor in whether Rex stays. Look at the big-picture:

players: most love playing for him, but if Santonio Holmes were playing on any other team and he took himself off the field during what was the most important Jets drive of the 2011 season because he got into a spat with the starting QB, he'd be gone, regardless of contract. The fact that Rex did nothing was troubling.

Also, the offense has been on the decline for the past three seasons, and some of that has to fall on Ryan's shoulders.

Sorry, but it's time for a new coach

Sorry, but two meaningless games shouldn't be the deciding factor in whether Rex stays. Look at the big-picture:

players: most love playing for him, but if Santonio Holmes were playing on any other team and he took himself off the field during what was the most important Jets drive of the 2011 season because he got into a spat with the starting QB, he'd be gone, regardless of contract. The fact that Rex did nothing was troubling.

Also, the offense has been on the decline for the past three seasons, and some of that has to fall on Ryan's shoulders.

Uh, not to defend REX in anyway but DEZ BRYANT walks out on his teammates and coaches on what seems like a weekly basis. Wait, they are firing their coach also. Forget what I just said.

I personally want to see Rex stay on and obviously go after some playmakers this offseason so we can maybe actually build an offense.  I think the coaching is okay but the personnel is more of the problem.  Firing Rex and hiring some other guy, along with a whole new offensive system, etc, will just set us back as a franchise in my opinion.  

I personally want to see Rex stay on and obviously go after some playmakers this offseason so we can maybe actually build an offense. I think the coaching is okay but the personnel is more of the problem. Firing Rex and hiring some other guy, along with a whole new offensive system, etc, will just set us back as a franchise in my opinion.

Don't forget Stephen Hill is coming back, he was on pace to do big thing pre injury.

You do realize that Rex is the coach and not the GM right?   Yeah he prob has some input, but a coach does not decide whether they cut a player, the owner and GM do. And if Holmes didn't cost so much damn money I'm sure he would have been gone after that debacle.

I personally want to see Rex stay on and obviously go after some playmakers this offseason so we can maybe actually build an offense.  I think the coaching is okay but the personnel is more of the problem.  Firing Rex and hiring some other guy, along with a whole new offensive system, etc, will just set us back as a franchise in my opinion.  

Chip Kelley begs to differ.

That interview reads like a man filled with fear. He has to run to this whole "we're preparing to Miami" thing too much. A real GM/Head Scout/Head Coach would at least be acknowledging bowl season. One of the issues is that Rex has never adjusted to this Jets job, and this is yet another thing that proves it. Does this guy even know who Sammy Watkins or Teddy Bridgewater is? Is there any doubt that an Offensive Coach who believes in Passing would be able to tell you what either of those guys could do for the franchise? 

That interview reads like a man filled with fear. He has to run to this whole "we're preparing to Miami" thing too much. A real GM/Head Scout/Head Coach would at least be acknowledging bowl season. One of the issues is that Rex has never adjusted to this Jets job, and this is yet another thing that proves it. Does this guy even know who Sammy Watkins or Teddy Bridgewater is? Is there any doubt that an Offensive Coach who believes in Passing would be able to tell you what either of those guys could do for the franchise?

I just threw up, Im not sure if it had anything to do with your post cause I didn't read it but I hate you regardless.

Right on the Money

Chip Kelly chose where he wanted to work, there is zero chance he would have left Oregon for this team.

You guys all keep bad mouthing this job yet your, saying no good or great coach would take this job yet your savior, Rex, says that this is the best job in the NFL. Either this job sucks or REX would bascically take any job, including the Jets.

Which is it? This job sucks or Rex is just hard up for any Job?

Wasn't supposed to win 4 games, has a chance at 8. When he beats the fins and keeps his job, all u haters will jump on the "He won to many games and cost

us a better draft pick, Rex must go".

Who is this magical oracle who says how many games he is supposed to win? I keep hearing about this but I cannot find any information on it?

Thanks for your help

Wasn't supposed to win 4 games, has a chance at 8. When he beats the fins and keeps his job, all u haters will jump on the "He won to many games and cost

us a better draft pick, Rex must go".

No I won't. I'll just have to get through another season before I can say, "I told you so."

What changed your mind Gato? Last week you were all up in arms about defending Rex. Not that I mind having another fan on the RIGHT bandwagon.

Archived