Anquan Boldin

joewilly12

Hill SUCKS. And Geno is not far behind . I would get rid of them both. I like what the Browns are doing. They have absolutely no tolerance for underachievers right now.  If they don't measure up, they are history.  Which is why Rex should have been let go.  Just to much dead weight on this team. Idzik is just a puppet. Woody is forcing his hand.  Idzik had no choice but to bring Rex back yet again for another year. And now we will be stuck  with a lame QB like Geno Smith for another 4-5 years. Geno makes Sanchez look like Bart Starr.  This team will go nowhere with GEno Smith as the QB . Maybe they get in the playoffs here and there BUT they will not go far.  The defense will play well but Geno will  continue to implode.     

1.  Yes, the Browns cut ties with Richardson, but they got a 1st rounder out of the deal. 

2.  You really want to model this team after the Browns?

1.  Yes, the Browns cut ties with Richardson, but they got a 1st rounder out of the deal. 

2.  You really want to model this team after the Browns?

Your responses lack any logic.  They cut Richardson because they saw he wasn't the type of grinding back they thought they were getting. They were fortunate to get a 1st rounder for him. My point was they moved him because they saw no future with him - period.  They will do the same with Weeden and now they have dumped 2 head coaches back to back.  Not exactly a stable franchise BUT at least they are not afraid to admit their mistakes and take their losses and move on.  I never said I would 'model' the Jets after the Browns.  I just said I admire their guts to be tough and no-nonsense.     

Your responses lack any logic.  They cut Richardson because they saw he wasn't the type of grinding back they thought they were getting. They were fortunate to get a 1st rounder for him. My point was they moved him because they saw no future with him - period.  They will do the same with Weeden and now they have dumped 2 head coaches back to back.  Not exactly a stable franchise BUT at least they are not afraid to admit their mistakes and take their losses and move on.  I never said I would 'model' the Jets after the Browns.  I just said I admire their guts to be tough and no-nonsense.     

No doubt the Richardson deal was sound.  But cutting Geno and Hill without getting any picks for them would NOT be a good analogy to what the Browns did.  Not at all.  That would be stupidity, not a "tough, no-nonsense" move.  Richardson was getting top 10 pick money so it saved them some money on top of the pick they got.  Geno and Hill have cheap 2nd round rookie deals.

No doubt the Richardson deal was sound.  But cutting Geno and Hill without getting any picks for them would NOT be a good analogy to what the Browns did.  Not at all.  That would be stupidity, not a "tough, no-nonsense" move.  Richardson was getting top 10 pick money so it saved them some money on top of the pick they got.  Geno and Hill have cheap 2nd round rookie deals.

Agreed. I just cant stand Geno Smith and I would cut his azz tonight.  His  ridiculous hand bow after he scores a TD is just pure egotistical crap.  Both plain suck.  Keeping them on the squad just extends the inevitable  -  Hill wont be on this team in 2015 and Geno will hang on like Sanchez since he was Idzik's pick for 3-5 years. The Jets will go nowhere and he will suffer the same fate Sanchez did.  Its just a vicious cycle with Jet QB's.  Sooner or later it will be broken.....but it wont be by InGenuine Smith.         

Agreed. I just cant stand Geno Smith and I would cut his azz tonight.  His  ridiculous hand bow after he scores a TD is just pure egotistical crap.  Both plain suck.  Keeping them on the squad just extends the inevitable  -  Hill wont be on this team in 2015 and Geno will hang on like Sanchez since he was Idzik's pick for 3-5 years. The Jets will go nowhere and he will suffer the same fate Sanchez did.  Its just a vicious cycle with Jet QB's.  Sooner or later it will be broken.....but it wont be by InGenuine Smith.         

I get it, you don't like Geno.  But he earned the right to compete for the job next year.  He's not getting cut; he's a lock to be on the roster in '14.  The best thing we'll both be hoping for is to bring in a veteran QB who CAN win the job, as well as another rookie.  Go into camp next year with a veteran, the rookie, Geno, and Matt Simms.  

If they bring in a vet (like McGowan) he will beat out Smith. And if they draft a qb in round 2 or 3, as they are many good ones in this year's draft draft, he will unseat Smith as well. Geno Smith SUCKS. This is why is was a moronic move by Idzik to waste a 2nd round pick on Smith.  We could have went with Sanchez this year and draft a QB in this draft.  Look at all the players we passed on to draft Geno SUCKS Smith....Alonso, Kiko.....Lacy, Eddie......Mathieu, Tyrann.......Allen, Keenan.......Ryan, Logan.......Ball, Montee....I would have taken ANY of these guys over Geno SUCKS Smith with that #2 pick.

Eric Decker would be a good target.

I still don't know how I'd feel about this one.  On the one hand, we need to bring in someone ready to play NOW, not just someone to groom over the next 2-3 years.  We only get to choose from who's available, not who we ideally want.

At the same time, he's got pretty suspect hands (drops a lot of easy passes from a pinpoint-accurate QB), and there's next to no pressure on him with Thomas, Thomas, and Welker on the field at the same time for most of the season.  However, with Welker off the field all December with a concussion, Decker became a bigger part of the passing game like he was last season.  

Still, his numbers wouldn't likely to be the same for the Jets with just Jeremy Kerley there to take some of the heat off him and a without QB who sees him pretty much every time he's open, and delivers the ball without staring him covered. 

Can he consistently beat double-teams? I don't know, since he wasn't really asked to do it.

But then I keep going back to my first point.  We certainly need someone, he's had success, and we can only choose from who's available.  He qualifies on all 3 points.

Though this picture indicates Jessie James already has a green football jersey and they are engaged...  

jessie-james-photos-5.jpg

I still don't know how I'd feel about this one.  On the one hand, we need to bring in someone ready to play NOW, not just someone to groom over the next 2-3 years.  We only get to choose from who's available, not who we ideally want.

At the same time, he's got pretty suspect hands (drops a lot of easy passes from a pinpoint-accurate QB), and there's next to no pressure on him with Thomas, Thomas, and Welker on the field at the same time for most of the season.  However, with Welker off the field all December with a concussion, Decker became a bigger part of the passing game like he was last season.  

Still, his numbers wouldn't likely to be the same for the Jets with just Jeremy Kerley there to take some of the heat off him and a without QB who sees him pretty much every time he's open, and delivers the ball without staring him covered. 

Can he consistently beat double-teams? I don't know, since he wasn't really asked to do it.

But then I keep going back to my first point.  We certainly need someone, he's had success, and we can only choose from who's available.  He qualifies on all 3 points.

Though this picture indicates Jessie James already has a green football jersey and they are engaged...  

Decker is:

-Productive

-Healthy

-Young

-Lines up on the outside, not the slot (how do you put Edelman and Kerley on the field at the same time?)

Our struggles offensively this year were caused by a lack of talent but don't forget how many injuries we had, either. I think the Jets will be more likely to look for a guy on the market that has the highest floor over a guy with the highest ceiling, though Decker's ceiling is far from low as well.

Nicks has a lot of question marks to him. I wouldn't be against it, but you would also need to get another guy if you went with him. I'm not sure about Maclin's health. If they truly think he will be 100% healthy in 2014 then he might be just as good of a target as Decker, we'll see. I wouldn't be thrilled with Boldin at 33 years of age (turning 34 early in the season), they would have to add another piece along with him in free agency.

There aren't any true #1's out there and those guys are few and far between anyway. I hope they add a couple #2 WR's, one of the better tight ends in free agency and a couple of draft picks at those positions to round out the group.

-I don't really love the Decker idea. Anyone else see that horrible, horrible show he and his wife are on. It's embarrassing. He's probably a real option since he's married to a media whore. The whole thing is not what the Jets need, want or should be looking for. Plus, Decker is a very good #2 but is also helped by the system and surrounding talent. I say, no thanks.

-Bolden is ancient and the idea is completely stupid. 

-Trading a 1st and 3rd for a malcontent like Gordon, who's one step away from suspension or in jail is also stupid. He's great but with way too much risk. No thanks.

-Britt is scum.

-Tate is a possibility due to the Idzik connection. He's also getting way overrated imo. He's a nice #3 on a good team, maybe #2, but I feel like his role is very similar to Kerely's. Meh. 

-Nicks makes the most sense, not only is he the most talented out of the entire lot, his ties to NY might make it easier get him.  

-And Draft one in the first. 

....almost forgot.  Would also love Maclin if healthy. Makes some sense with ties to Mornhinweg too. 

Decker is:

-Productive

-Healthy

-Young

-Lines up on the outside, not the slot (how do you put Edelman and Kerley on the field at the same time?)

Our struggles offensively this year were caused by a lack of talent but don't forget how many injuries we had, either. I think the Jets will be more likely to look for a guy on the market that has the highest floor over a guy with the highest ceiling, though Decker's ceiling is far from low as well.

Nicks has a lot of question marks to him. I wouldn't be against it, but you would also need to get another guy if you went with him. I'm not sure about Maclin's health. If they truly think he will be 100% healthy in 2014 then he might be just as good of a target as Decker, we'll see. I wouldn't be thrilled with Boldin at 33 years of age (turning 34 early in the season), they would have to add another piece along with him in free agency.

There aren't any true #1's out there and those guys are few and far between anyway. I hope they add a couple #2 WR's, one of the better tight ends in free agency and a couple of draft picks at those positions to round out the group.

Pretty much, yeah.  And awesome #1 WRs simply don't hit free agency where they're just waiting to sign with the Jets.

I don't want Nicks; I've seen him drop too many easy catches, and that's what comes with the territory if he can stay healthy all season in the first place (which he can't).  Also thought I heard that a little bit of Eli's woes being on Nicks from running bad routes now & then, but I don't know if that's true.

Either one of them is better than anyone we have (when you take the whole package into consideration, which was a big part of the problem even with PRE-injury Holmes).  I just wouldn't want to break the bank on either of them.  Nicks is at least a proven #1, though he's also proven to be an unreliable #1.

Problem is with this group I don't think either will be attainable for their (IMO true) value, which should be around $6M per.  $10M is too much for either.  If the number is $8M it's still too much IMO, but given the space we have and the importance of the position, I'd rather overpay by $2M/year on one WR than overpay by $2M or more on ILBers like we've done twice in recent years.

Boldin had an awesome year fwiw. Like dude beasted.

As for Tate he plays on a run first team... He's not a slot receiver, mostly plays on the outside. He's like a smaller younger version of Boldin. He attacks the football as good as anyone for his size.

There's plenty of reason to not like either player, but the idea of cutting either one straight out today would be based on nothing but pure personal emotion that no NFL GM should ever allow to influence their decisions.  Acting in such a manner would be the worst thing a GM could do, and would get him fired in no time (not just these particular moves, but the general premise behind them).  At the absolute bare minimum, if the Jets dislike either of those players as much as you do, then they still should keep them around on their dirt cheap contracts, bring as many guys as possible at both positions to compete with them throughout the offseason, camp, and preseason, then see what happens.  If you end up with 3 QBs better / with more upside than Geno or 5/6 WRs better than Hill come August, then it's a point of discussion.

If somewhere along the line another team offers you some good value in a trade then even better yet, and that's the whole reason it worked out for the Browns with Richardson.  You know full well that if the Browns had just outright cut Richardson a year ago instead of trading him for a first rounder a few months back there would be a world of difference there, and it would not be in any way good for the Browns.

There's plenty of reason to not like either player, but the idea of cutting either one straight out today would be based on nothing but pure personal emotion that no NFL GM should ever allow to influence their decisions.  Acting in such a manner would be the worst thing a GM could do, and would get him fired in no time (not just these particular moves, but the general premise behind them).  At the absolute bare minimum, if the Jets dislike either of those players as much as you do, then they still should keep them around on their dirt cheap contracts, bring as many guys as possible at both positions to compete with them throughout the offseason, camp, and preseason, then see what happens.  If you end up with 3 QBs better / with more upside than Geno or 5/6 WRs better than Hill come August, then it's a point of discussion.

If somewhere along the line another team offers you some good value in a trade then even better yet, and that's the whole reason it worked out for the Browns with Richardson.  You know full well that if the Browns had just outright cut Richardson a year ago instead of trading him for a first rounder a few months back there would be a world of difference there, and it would not be in any way good for the Browns.

The Browns were fortunate to get a pick as high as they did.  There are exceptions to your rule...Jamarques Russell..... Vernon Gholston.....Tim Couch......and countless others. While they stuck around for a bit, they were history without any compensation and just a lot of regret.  Regardless, Hill will not break through.  He is a horrible route runner, no hands and is just clueless.   Ideal qualities for a WR.  Geno Smith has no sense of the pocket, overthrows, underthrows, cant read a defense and is going to get himself squished (badly) on his qb scrambles.  He would be a decent back up qb at best.  I don't see him lasting more than a couple years after this developmental stage wears off.   Hopefully, we draft a qb somewhere around the 3rd round but I doubt it.  There are even numerous back ups that would be better suited as our starter.....Shaun Hill....Keenum.....McGowan....Moore.....Cousins.....Mallett....Vick.....Flynn.....I would take any of these guys in a heartbeat over Geno Sucks Smith. 

You just criticized JF80 for a lack of logic in his responses, and then in the next breath admit your own point of view is driven by hate - and doesn't consider any of the strategies one might weigh in managing an NFL roster or salary cap.

I can only applaud you for this level of "whu?" ... especially since you said you reported me and Jacked4Jets yesterday to the mods as "utter nonsense" while we were goofing on each other.

Quality stuff. 

jessie-james-photos-5.jpg

Eric Decker makes some of the most amazing catches I have ever seen . Just because there was an article about him dropping 5 passes in the first 2 weeks does not mean he has suspect hands. He had 7 total drops for the entire season so after week 2 he dropped 2 passes all year.

http://www.sportingcharts.com/nfl/stats/drops/2013/ have a look at this link and see all the great WR's on that list with more Drops than Decker Do they have suspect hands or does the fact they get thrown at, at a much higher rate come into play. Number one on the list regularly catches 100 + balls as Does Welker . Oh darn Calvin Johnson has 8 drops as well , Deckers drop rate of 5.1 fairs quite well with the best WR's in the NFL. Sign the Beast. Only problem is Manning will ask for him to stay and Denver will make it so because you don't take away great WR's from QB's like Peyton Manning that would be going down the Jets road of the past 14 years.

You should also notice as you go down that list the numbers of times players are targeted and the numbers of receptions go down fairly significantly as well leading to less drops

Eric Decker makes some of the most amazing catches I have ever seen . Just because there was an article about him dropping 5 passes in the first 2 weeks does not mean he has suspect hands. He had 7 total drops for the entire season so after week 2 he dropped 2 passes all year.

http://www.sportingcharts.com/nfl/stats/drops/2013/ have a look at this link and see all the great WR's on that list with more Drops than Decker Do they have suspect hands or does the fact they get thrown at, at a much higher rate come into play. Number one on the list regularly catches 100 + balls as Does Welker . Oh darn Calvin Johnson has 8 drops as well , Deckers drop rate of 5.1 fairs quite well with the best WR's in the NFL. Sign the Beast. Only problem is Manning will ask for him to stay and Denver will make it so because you don't take away great WR's from QB's like Peyton Manning that would be going down the Jets road of the past 14 years.

You should also notice as you go down that list the numbers of times players are targeted and the numbers of receptions go down fairly significantly as well leading to less drops

I was basing it on watching games, not looking up stats. He drops easy catches. Like the type we saw Holmes drop over the last few games.

He isn't all bad or anything, nor did I suggest that. But he doesn't even sniff at some of the greatest catches I've ever seen in 30+ years watching NFL football. Not even close.

He's a clear upgrade from what we have. Question is without a deadly accurate QB who doesn't stare him down or realize too late that he is open or any awesome other receivers drawing safeties or top DBs away, will be be worth his asking price. We have no idea what numbers he's seeking out of he can produce as the team's clear #1 receiver with a below average QB tossing it. He is not a "great" WR. He just isn't.

I was basing it on watching games, not looking up stats. He drops easy catches. Like the type we saw Holmes drop over the last few games.

He isn't all bad or anything, nor did I suggest that. But he doesn't even sniff at some of the greatest catches I've ever seen in 30+ years watching NFL football. Not even close.

He's a clear upgrade from what we have. Question is without a deadly accurate QB who doesn't stare him down or realize too late that he is open or any awesome other receivers drawing safeties or top DBs away, will be be worth his asking price. We have no idea what numbers he's seeking out of he can produce as the team's clear #1 receiver with a below average QB tossing it. He is not a "great" WR. He just isn't.

I watched the Broncos all year and Decker made some amazing catches and like I said he only dropped 2 balls after week 2 so Im not sure what you were watching. When I talk about great catches I'm not just talking about the Diving variety that always get the highlight films Im talking about making the really tough catches on balls thrown behind and low and balls you have to extend for over the middle in traffic and battling for balls thrown off the back shoulder. Decker is one tough SOB and while I agree with you he might do better with some support the Jets do not currently have, he certainly would be a great start. I think a WR group of Decker, Kerley, Nelson,(insert draft pick here) and Hill would be a much better option than we have now by a big margin if Kerley would stop getting injured.

I watched the Broncos all year and Decker made some amazing catches and like I said he only dropped 2 balls after week 2 so Im not sure what you were watching. When I talk about great catches I'm not just talking about the Diving variety that always get the highlight films Im talking about making the really tough catches on balls thrown behind and low and balls you have to extend for over the middle in traffic and battling for balls thrown off the back shoulder. Decker is one tough SOB and while I agree with you he might do better with some support the Jets do not currently have, he certainly would be a great start. I think a WR group of Decker, Kerley, Nelson,(insert draft pick here) and Hill would be a much better option than we have now by a big margin if Kerley would stop getting injured.

I watched them all year also, as did the whole country.  He had a good season, but I think you're overrating him. However I think we'd both agree that barring something unexpected (Decker suddenly getting worse or Kerley suddenly getting even better), that Decker would instantly become the best WR on the team.

I didn't see a receiver who was all that.  What I saw a lot of was him making mostly easy catches when the coverage attention went to others and he had (at best) the 2nd-best (if not the 3rd-best) DB on him.  And don't go by "official" catches.  They're pretty generous.  There are plenty of dropped passes that don't technically count.  Remember the Pats game this year when our guys seemed to drop like 6 passes or whatever it was? I think "officially" there were only like 2 drops, but we all saw and we all know it was more.  Didn't Manning's pick-6 against the Ravens in last year's playoff game bounce off Decker's hands? Yes.

I'm not saying he sucks.  I'm just saying he's not worth stud #1 money in the $11M+ per season range like Seattle gave Harvin (also a stupid contract, but I guess Seattle figured they don't draft TEs/WRs noticeably better than the Jets do, which is pretty bad).  I don't see him as the beastly, reliable receiver you describe.  He was Peyton Manning's #3 receiver this year and #2 last year.  Denver could keep him if they wanted to.  If we can get him, that means they passed on him.  If he's so amazing they'd never let him get away.  

Remember, Brandon Stokley once had 1000+ yards and 10 TDs as Peyton Manning's #3 targret.  Reuniting with him for one last year in 2012, at age 36 he suddenly became a useful receiver for the first time in 4 years.  Austin Collie used to average a TD per start as Manning's 3rd-4th receiver.  He made Ben Utecht look like a $3M/year TE heading into 2008; then Cincy found out he wasn't so solid when Carson Palmer & Ryan Fitzpatrick were the ones throwing him the ball.  Manning has done this throughout his career, which is why he is who he is.  

Is Eric Decker Jordy Nelson? Or is he Peerless Price?

Archived